FM15 - The Vanarama Conference, North & South thread

CityAndColour

Afternoon Guys haven't had the chance to play or post in a few weeks as apparently we have to go to work to earn money as Football Manager isn't a real job apparently!!! Heartbreaking I know.

Anyway into my 4th season with Dover now and about 10 games left sitting in second in League 2 - Oldham are running away with it but it is very tight from 2nd-8th so its going to be a tense end to the season with my last game agianst Oldham. Ged Oldnall has proved a gem for me having scored 46 goals combined in the last two seasons been phenomenal. Stats aren't that great though!

The season before this was nailbiting as we struggled to stay up but as everyone knows with only two relegation places in league 2 and crawley not getting a win until February I was in with a fighting chance and I stayed up on the final day with a draw, relegating Crawley and Wrexham!

so should finish my 4th season tonight and hopefully get promoted to league 1 - fingers crossed

Ciao for now!

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently my home town team, Torquay. I'm currently using a 4-4-2, and after a poor start we've managed to get ourselves up to 13th currently with 10 games remaining. We should really have been winning the league or gaining promotion via the play offs with the squad we have, but hopefully next season we will be able to do that.

I've signed a few plays, got a couple of loans in Joe McGovern from Dundee in goal and Cameron Dummigan at right back who has come in from Burnley for the season. At 18, he has been a really good signing and has played nearly every game for us.

I managed to tie Levi Ives down to a contract (17 year old left back that came through the youth academy, championship level potential). He hasn't really performed this season and if I get a good offer in the summer then I'll probably accept.

Luke Young has been excellent in central midfield, and I signed Charlie Allen on a free transfer to partner him in midfield and they have now started to really become effective.

Ryan Bowman upfront has scored 18 goals so far, with Taylor-Crossdale (signed on a free) scoring 10 so far, Louis Briscoe also getting 10. Luke Young has chipped in with 7 from midfield and quite a few assists.

I read something on this forum discussing team talks and decided to change my approach. I've found the aggressively telling the team that you expect a win and then assertively telling them each that you have faith in them really helps. They seem to gain focus and get going right from the start.

So, I got the sack because one backup player got pissed off and upset the rest of the team.

I'm in a higher league though, I'll reveal who and the other details tomorrow :D

I've read a few accounts of this - it seems SI has brought in a "losing the dressing room" sackable feature, but predictably it's not quite right.

Should make the playoffs now Pompey! Did you change tactics at all? I normally struggle over Christmas/New Year but that's because I play short passing football.

I did try a new tactical approach and it seems to have totally transformed the team

Finished first season with Basingstoke. Fantastic season, all thanks to an 12 game unbeaten run in the conference south.

Results

YO5dCQ2axf-3000x3000.png

vn9gMec9Y4-3000x3000.png

Tn-XIxY6iF-3000x3000.png

Table:

J73BLkPgnL-3000x3000.png

Formation & Starting 11:

uKiQj87eul-3000x3000.png

Signings:

8fLhigfRub-1200x1200.png

Jamal Branker was an amazing signing, as well as Stuart Moore in goals, McCrae & Burnell were good in midfield too but need to re-strengthen for next season. Dutton was a Jan signing and really helped boost the defence in the final games.

Existing Players:

Rice & Bird in the full back position were great, in a game that I always find fall backs to struggle, they were solid throughout, Rice scored a few penalties as a plus. Dunn & McAuley were excellent attacking support, Dunn played slightly better overall but they will do well in the conference premier. Marum was poor after an injury spell, never came back well. Owusu broke his leg during a great spell, hoping he recovers well and returns so his supportive role upfront. Manny Williams scored a wonderful hat-trick and then dropped a bit. Gasson & Ray will need to go. Soares, Macklin, Brown & Smart all heading out.

Goals for Next Season:

Strengthen the team, drop the wage bill (massively) as went £800 p/w over to ensure winning the league. Hoping to consolidate in conference premier and start building a foundation in the new league.

Well done both of you.

Unfortunately it's been another frustrating season end at Leamington - after being in the title hunt for most of the season, we only took five points from our last six games, and then crashed out in the playoff semis to Alfreton.

New season rolls around and we're slated to finish 21st again, so no one will join. Sebastiao is out the door too.

Hey guys just won the Conference with Barnet with 108 points, 22 clear of Gateshead.

Very happy with the season.

Lee Cook (AML), Keanu Marsh-Brown (AMR), Charlie Macdonald (ST), Luisma Villa (AMC), David Stephens (DC), Kristian Kostrna (DR) were all stand outs.

Younger players like Kostrna, David October, Filip Mental, Elliot Johnson and Marsh-Brown improving very quickly.

Also highly recommend Tommy O'Sullivan from Cardiff on loan. Equally impressive as a MC DLP S or a AMC ADV A. Can get him on loan 0 pw for season.

Looking to sign a DR, DCs, MCs (DLP S and CM D) for League Two.

I've never had enough motivation to play Conference N/S leagues even though I love playing in weaker countries like Malta or Iceland. This year however I've decided to give it a go as I enjoy reading dafuge's challenge topic as well as bottom tier career updates. I've taken over North Ferriby and 16 games in, it's looking pretty well. We lost to a grayed out Harlow side in the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round, but apart from that, everything is going way better than expected. Sitting on top with only 2 games lost, all that whilst being predicted to finish in 16th place.

Only two newcomers: Jack Truelove (Oldham, LB, loan) as a backup player and Sadik El-Fitouri as my first right back choice. Best rating so far. Up front, Tom Corner and Nathan Jarman scored 17 so far. Really enjoyable save so far, at least before the inevitable form drop comes.

9p4DLHy.jpg

The actual tactic I use is here

I dropped the Push Up Higher instruction in it(the OP does suggest too as well after I did it myself) and I use FuSS team talk suggestions of being aggressive and assertive. During the game I will just do random team talks with concentrate and push up.

Although the Mentality of the tactic is control, if I need to chase a game(like the play off semi final) will change it to Overload

So a quick update on my second season with FC United and so far so good.. we took the league by surprise and powered our into top spot and holding our on at the top...

2iviczq.png

December has been a sticky month with 3 of my strikers getting injured and conceding late goals to deny us 3 points

5koavq.png

Odejayi has been one of my best players this season but injury has hit more then once so he struggling to get a decent run of games together to get his form back to his best

I see no one has done a Stalybridge save yet. As a Celtic fan, I thought I'd let you know that even though we are 'officially' a professional outfit, we don't train full time. We have tried for the past two years of a model of bringing young players through our academy, putting them in the first team and then selling them for a profit. As a club who get around 400 fans per game, we are one of the least supported outfits in the North (we suffer geographically). The only player who we have sold so far is Connor Jennings to Scunthorpe. I think he plies his trade in the National now. We also have the 3rd smallest budget in the league.

Also, regarding Anthony Maldon - basically he signed for us, then decided against it and wanted out, then 'retired' thinking it would make his contract and registration forms invalid. When this didn't work he decided to play for a couple of games for us and now it seems he has left yet we've got the FA forms so he cannot sign for anyone else.

Check out our website and forum to see what fans think of this. Throw in his twitter account stating there was no way he was playing for Stalybriddge and you can see we aren't too pleased.

Seems he's got some issues.

Anyway, start as Stalybridge someone, give it a go!

I have fond memories of Jim Harvey as a Forest Green fan - we played some wonderful attacking football under him and played well above our level. Now we have the financial clout to compete but too often get bogged down in uncreative, not lose rather than win football.

Jennings is an interesting one - he was one of the most sought after free agents over the summer due to his goal a game exploits with Macclesfield, but has struggled a little bit with Wrexham. Very good with Stalybridge though - Phil Marsh is another one that may perhaps regret moving on, as he barely played for us and has since bounced around non league circles.

I remember reading the Malbon post on FB where he claimed not to have signed anything. From memory his attitude issues came out at Kiddy too when he was forced to adapt his game and play wider, and didn't want to do so. Just goes to show there's no room for big time charlies at this sort of level, as you'll just get spat out.

4WJzbHS.png

North Ferriby

Conference North - Season 2014/15 review

The promotion is here! We were predicted to finish 16th, the Board expected mid-table and to be honest, so did I. But even with some awful play in January and February, we managed to win the league six points ahead of Hednesford, mostly due to our easy schedule at the end when we faced three of the four bottom sides and managed to win all three with 14:2 goal difference. Young El-Fitouri is one out of six players brought in but one of only two that played regularly, then there's striker Nathan Jarman and midfielder Russel Fry, which were my best players, but even they aren't up to the standards of Conference Premier.

That's why I'm not sure what to expect from the season ahead, but I'll definitely be looking to strengthen the squad as much as I can during the summer and hopefully stay up!

REG0Ibf.jpg

And were off to Wembley to play in the FA Trophy final against woking in the conference

35cocgj.png

What was a nerve wrecking game and a even tense ending with the game going to penos we managed to score 4/4 and save two woking penalties to be crowd cup winnings

Hopefully now this is the push the teams needs to win the league we are currently 2nd by 2 points with a game in hand with 7 left to play

Cheers pompey

17tguc.png

As i hoped we kicked on from the cup win and are on a 7 match unbeaten run and have managed to win the league with 2 games to spare and do the clubs first double

Our finances are looking very healthy and should be up to the million mark by the end of the year.. currently upgrading youth facilities and might see if i can upgrade first team facilitates again at the end of the year..

onwards to next season now and hopefully bring in some good quailty players and do well in the conference

I no I was very suprised myself too see the finances do so well only after two years.. I know fc united have a very impressive fan base for a team in the northern premier IRL and I have been getting close to if not full houses in most matches.. Plus a good run in the FA Cup making the second round and last season the first round brought in a few funds to the kity.. I'm not at the laptop to view my save at the min but I will have a look at my clubs sponsor's etc to see how well I'm doing financially next time I'm on

27 matches into my third season at Leamington - is this finally the year we get promoted? The problem I'm running into is there are always strong teams in the North; Hereford and Alfreton are both there, while FC United are the leaders this time around. We are sitting in second and only three points off the top, however a goal difference of +12 tells you it has been a grind more than anything else.

Tactically I've had some d-line issues with my 5-3-2, and have reverted to a 4-5-1 at times. We are on a nice little run of five wins in six now, and out of both cups.

I rewarded Jamie Tank with the captaincy, and promoted Jordan Goddard to vice, in recognition of him winning the last two player of the season awards. Veteran Mario Noto has also been excellent, although the departure of Sebastiao has been evident in our goal tally, scoring only 46 in 27. Incredibly our goal difference is -32 compared to the only side above us, FC United.

Just a little special update as I was searching around last night in my second season....I have a new and very specific transfer target that must join Gosport Borough no matter what.

p9pXIr8ap

This is not just any old player......this is my official regen in the game.....no changes to edt or lnc files, I am hardcoded into the game :D

To the guy managing Chester. I don't know how you managed to get half them players in. I'm managing them and have released the vast majority of the players but my reputation and wage budget still won't allow quite a few of who you've gone and got. Have you edited their rep or budgets?

To the guy managing Chester. I don't know how you managed to get half them players in. I'm managing them and have released the vast majority of the players but my reputation and wage budget still won't allow quite a few of who you've gone and got. Have you edited their rep or budgets?

They tend to sign good players in my save. Maybe he started with a higher manager rep?

Mini update from my Ebbsfleet save.

Won back-to-back promotions from Conference -> League 2 -> League 1 winning the title each time. Currently sitting top of League 1 in March 2019, hope to maintain this and win another promotion to the Championship. That would make it 4 promotions in 5 years!

My finances still suck but at least the new stadium will be built at the end of the year, bringing the capacity up from 4000 (800 seated) to 9500.

I've signed Dominic Iorfa (DC), Faith Turan (DR), Shane Griffin (DL), Sofiane El Bekri (MC), Jon Toral (MC), Kasey Palmer (MC) and Bernard Mensah (FC) who have all been crucial to the campaign on frees. If you get promoted to football league and need some players to stay up, definitely look into them (Mensah I managed to pickup in the Conference and has the potential to be a good Premier League striker!).

Too easy for you!

I've just finished my third season at Leamington, and sadly it's playoff heart break again. But I can't complain - we were clearly the third best team in it, and thankfully the power of Hereford went up so I won't have to deal with them next season. Hednesford also destroyed us in the playoff final (it finished a remarkable 4-6 and we were 2-0 at one stage, but their 11 clear cut chances told the real tale).

Jordan Goddard won his third consecutive fans' player of the season award, and Dan Udoh and Aron Wint both netted 14 times to finish as top scorers. League clubs have started releasing newgen youth now so I am going to see if I can net a couple of future stars, as well as letting stalwarts Richard Batchelor, Stephan Morley and Lee Chilton depart. Fresh blood is needed.

The board keeps increasing my budgets too while only expecting to stay in the division, so I have the funds to strengthen. It's just a matter of convincing the players to join.

Ten games into the new season and we've hit top spot, with a 5-4-1 record. Changing the team shape from 'flexible' to 'fluid' has really given us some more attacking life, while defensively we've only conceded eight times, four of those in our only loss at Brackley.

We had a really strong summer in the transfer market too, snapping up attacking midfielders Ibrahim Atiku and Tony Stokes, along with former Charlton and Posh central mid Greig Stewart. Welsh veteran centre half Luke Graham has also provided some stability in the back three.

Also picked up several fairly promising newgens, in pacy striker Mohammed Adams (Released by Charlton) and centre half Mitchell Stephens (released by Watford), who have both held their own in the first XI. A striker from my first youth intake in Brett Connor has also impressed, after scoring twice in last season's playoff final.*

*Unfortunately can't post screenshots of these three as it's against beta testing rules.

I'm really intrigued as to why hereford have been made so powerful on this version - in my game they were signing L2 standard players in the Conference North, and spending more on wages than they were while in the Football League! In real life they are 15th in the Southern Premier and more likely to drop down further than go back up. That said, still a dominant season and will be interesting to see how quickly you can rise up the leagues.

Well, it's safe to say if I'd switched to my 4-5-1 earlier we'd probably have the title wrapped up by now. After persisting with my 3-5-2 (wingbacks) for an up and down first 17 matches, I found we were giving up just too many clear cut opportunities. Cue the switch to the 4-5-1, and the results have been instant. We're currently on an 18 match unbeaten run in the league (11-8-0) and hold a slender three point lead at the top with seven games to go. Playoffs are assured but I want the title.

I just started my official FM15 career in the Vanarama North Conference. Stockport fired their Head Coach after the locker room declared they lost faith in the man. I applied for the job, was granted an interview and can go to work now. At first glance this whole LLM aspect is really something else. My guys are battling relegation and with a handful of long-term injuries it ain't looking good. Not many people want to sign with me either. I think I'm going to be out of a job at the end of the season.

Great stuff yipster - I don't think there's anything more satisfying in FM than taking over a team down the bottom and bringing them up through the leagues (or in Stockport's case, back up). Keep us posted on how you get on.

---

Anyway, after four seasons in the Conference North, my Leamington side has finally gotten promoted, after a tense penalty shoot out in the playoff final.

I persisted with a 3-5-2 for nearly half the season, but despite its potency in an attacking sense, I was unhappy with how many chances we were conceding. So I switched back to a 4-5-1 (effectively a 4-1-2-2-1) and we only lost once in the final 28 league games, and also took L1 side Chesterfield to a replay in the second round of the FA Cup.

It was still a little shaky, as we conceded late goals to both FC United and Guiseley in the last five matches, which proved costly as we conceded the title by a single point to Altrincham. A solid 1-0 win at Southport in the semis was followed by a dour 0-0 at home, before we hosted the final against Harrogate. Despite leading 1-0 until the 89th minute, and 2-1 in extra time, we couldn't hold out and went to penalties, where perfect conversion produced a 5-3 win.

Our best player on the season was undoubtedly veteran winger Ibrahim Atiku, who was our top scorer with 14 goals and added nine assists for good measure. Former Arsenal youth left back Samir Bihmoutine produced the highest average rating in the side, while skipper Jamie Tank was our rock, even if he wasn't as reliable as previous years.

So we hit the next level up, and I am interested to see what quality of player we can sign. It goes without saying that survival is all that is required, although another cup run would be nice too.

Archived