The Fulcrum - Silk & Steel. A complete Tactical System for 14.1.4 and beyond......

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try it the way you suggested (Rainmaker all the way, with SS if I want to hold on to a slim lead).

Let me know if you need testers for your new tactics (via PM maybe?). I have the weekend off, so I could do some testing if you want (maybe with a smaller team like West Ham).

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome back!

No ME updates (apparently!).

I would use Rainmaker Home & Away. S&S as a containing tactic.

Thats the route i'm going down at the moment. (you could use SS away against the very top teams)

Would you still suggest S&S if you're out of your league, so to speak?

Mr U Rosler, what would you recommend for me?

Frigg's first season in Norwegian Premier division.

Media prediction 16th (last).

Currently 5th, 18 games played, 8W-6D-4L

Team is not very strong compared to most of the other teams, but still we have managed to play pretty well after difficult start.

I have been using Rainmaker only when playing at home as clear favorite. Otherwise using S&S.

Is that the approach you would take?

Mr U Rosler, what would you recommend for me?

Frigg's first season in Norwegian Premier division.

Media prediction 16th (last).

Currently 5th, 18 games played, 8W-6D-4L.

Rainmaker is more decisive. i,e wins or losses. S&S achieves many draws which protects morale and builds runs of form.

If you are a Gambler go Rainmaker (and protect narrow leads with 20 mins to go with S&S).

If you are conservative go S&S.

I will be clearer on this when new tactics have been tested at all levels.

tricky that.

You will lose less games with S&S but win more with Rainmaker (i.e more decisive results, less draws).

I would think your points tally would be higher using Rainmaker for all games then switching to S&S to protect 1 goal lead or a good draw with 20 mins to go. However you run the risk of 3 bad results in a row with Rainmaker which could get your morale low and enter a downward spiral. you are pretty much immune to this using S&S.

Its a classic risk/reward scenario. If you are a gambler Rainmaker, if you are conservative S&S.

When i've finished testing the new tactics I will be clearer about this

Rainmaker is more decisive. i,e wins or losses. S&S achieves many draws which protects morale and builds runs of form.

If you are a Gambler go Rainmaker (and protect narrow leads with 20 mins to go with S&S).

If you are conservative go S&S.

I will be clearer on this when new tactics have been tested at all levels.

tricky that.

You will lose less games with S&S but win more with Rainmaker (i.e more decisive results, less draws).

I would think your points tally would be higher using Rainmaker for all games then switching to S&S to protect 1 goal lead or a good draw with 20 mins to go. However you run the risk of 3 bad results in a row with Rainmaker which could get your morale low and enter a downward spiral. you are pretty much immune to this using S&S.

Its a classic risk/reward scenario. If you are a gambler Rainmaker, if you are conservative S&S.

When i've finished testing the new tactics I will be clearer about this

I think we might have won at least some of the matches that ended in draw, if i would have used Rainmaker.

Maybe i could try to use it more for the remaining of season as we are currently pretty clear from relegation (and our board expectation is only to avoid relegation).

Ok, been working a lot but coming to the end of my Chelsea test and things looking good.

wyw1.png

ra2h.png

Burnum is helping me test a mid level team, I will soon be on a relegation prospect to see how we go.

I'll keep you updated :brock:

I took charge of Inter Milan after their manager got the sack in November, just prior to the Sampdoria game and were languishing in 14th position, 15 points behind Roma at the top.

There are now 3 games to go until the end of the season and I have a 7 point lead over Roma, plus i`m in the Europa League final vs Everton....and i`m undefeated in all comps since i took charge.

I mainly use S&S and i sometimes switch from 'control' to 'attacking' depending on how the game develops. When i do use 'Rainmaker' it`s versus very weaker opposition or sides you should beat, mainly at home.

FCInternazionale_MatchesSchedule_zps50b2b558.png

FCInternazionale_MatchesSchedule-2_zpse94f578c.png

lil ole me,

I've read with interest your post #609, above. I've always thought that Mr Roslers tactics could only be used 'as is'. That is to say that if you do as you do and move either up or down to 'attacking' or to 'standard', the tactics won't perform as they should.

I hope you are able to vary the strategy as you do because I have always used them without any changes at all.

lil ole me,

I've read with interest your post #609, above. I've always thought that Mr Roslers tactics could only be used 'as is'. That is to say that if you move either up or down to 'attacking' or to 'standard', the tactics won't perform as they should.

I hope you are able to vary the strategy as you do because I have always used them without any changes at all.

Just about to start a new save with Portsmouth and am going to give your tactics a go but i noticed that in the OP you have said "For all roles there is one KEY attribute with 3 SUPPORT attributes" i know its probably a stupid question but where did you get these values from, as when looking at attributes it highlights anything upto 9 areas for that role.

yuv5.png

I should be happy but i'm not.

Ok, won the league season 1 with no transfers and a major injuries in 2nd half of season including hazard out for last 6 months.

But my points total is only 2 more than i got with Rainmaker and the goal difference is a bit worse.

Hand on heart i think the Home Tactic I currently have based on Rainmaker is maybe 1% or 2% better and the away tactic based on S & S is 4% or 5% better.

I dont feel comfortable releasing them without more improvement especially in the Home tactic.

I'm going to try and get 3 strikers working, i want close to a 100 league goals with Chelsea...... then i will be satisified.

Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime be advised to follow the advice below.

If you are a top team i.e media prediction 1st to 6th.

Use Rainmaker for all Home games.

Use Rainmaker for all away games except against the VERY top 3 or 4 teams. then use Silk & Steel.

If you are a Mid level team i.e media prediction 7th to 15th.

Use Rainmaker for all Home games in which you are favourite. When you are evens or an underdog use Silk & Steel.

Use Silk & Steel for all away games except against the very weakest teams where you are favourite where you can use Rainmaker.

if you are a low level team i.e media prediction 16th to 20th.

use Silk & Steel for all games.

*** based on a 20 team league. adjust accordingly mto your own league ***

Important

If you are using Rainmaker and you have a 1 goal lead with 20 minutes to go, switch to Silk & Steel to protect it.

If your are using Silk & Steel and are behind with 20 minutes to go switch to Rainmaker (this includes Low level teams) to try and recover.

Rainmaker

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ofrcptvmkr3rmtc/The%20Fulcrum%20-%20Rainmaker.tac

Silk & Steel 14.2

http://www.mediafire.com/download/van1f7wsk5sotam/The%20Fulcrum%20-%20Silk%20%26%20Steel%2014.2.tac

There is everything you need to succeed right here.

I am still working on creating better tactics if possible and will keep you updated.

Good luck all :brock:

(p.s thanks Burnum form your testing, i may be back to you :thup:)

Just about to start a new save with Portsmouth and am going to give your tactics a go but i noticed that in the OP you have said "For all roles there is one KEY attribute with 3 SUPPORT attributes" i know its probably a stupid question but where did you get these values from, as when looking at attributes it highlights anything upto 9 areas for that role.

Obviously it would be great to have high attributes in all areas but that isnt realistic. i have based my 4 attributes and the key attribute on how the tactic is supposes to work combined with my observations in the ME.

for example, if your complete forward is slow, you will score less goals. if you midfielders are poor passers you will score less goals. If your centre back is not strong in the air you will concede more goals.

Small update about my save.

I started to use more Rainmaker at the later part of the season and it turned out to be a good choice.

We finished 2nd in the Norwegian Premiership, only 3 points behind league champion Rosenborg.

We also won Norwegian Cup.

Next season is approaching and i have already strengthened my squad with 7 new players (and releasing 10 old players).

So, for the coming season Frigg should be a bit stronger again, which will be needed as we now qualified for EURO cup also :)

I have avoided downloading tactics since I think CM03/04 when Diablo came out and I didn't want to play a tactic that exploited the game engine.

Since then I've never had amazing results, I've had okay but never as good as I had.

I have no gotten so frustrated trying to do whatever I have found out I don't know how to do tactics. So I'm going to give this a go, I have Roma squad which fits it pretty well so I'll see.

I was half way into the league when I started using it. I was 5th spot 8 pts behind 1 to 4th - they are extremely close. I went unbeaten in the first 10 games or so but then I didn't win for like 6 in a row. And I just couldn't figure out what the **** was wrong.

So I'm just going to plug it in. Find out which players to use where and not touch the tactics for the later half of the season, Just play it and only do team picks and then later on of course transfers. Maybe I'll start to enjoy FM again.

Edit: What I've had the most problems with at Roma is getting my forwards to not be ****. Totti, Ljalic, Destro and Boriello all have been beyond crap. My only players with over 7 in avR are my DCs

Really struggling to get my strikers firing on Rainmaker. I use it for most of the time, and have set my team up as pretty much as I could with your guide in terms of the right players with the right stats but I'm half way through Jan and all my strikers, bar Suarez (14) have single figures.

I just can't seem to get the support I need from the middle of the park. My Ass Man is always telling me I'm being completely over run.

I have avoided downloading tactics since I think CM03/04 when Diablo came out and I didn't want to play a tactic that exploited the game engine.

Since then I've never had amazing results, I've had okay but never as good as I had.

I have no gotten so frustrated trying to do whatever I have found out I don't know how to do tactics. So I'm going to give this a go, I have Roma squad which fits it pretty well so I'll see.

I was half way into the league when I started using it. I was 5th spot 8 pts behind 1 to 4th - they are extremely close. I went unbeaten in the first 10 games or so but then I didn't win for like 6 in a row. And I just couldn't figure out what the **** was wrong.

So I'm just going to plug it in. Find out which players to use where and not touch the tactics for the later half of the season, Just play it and only do team picks and then later on of course transfers. Maybe I'll start to enjoy FM again.

Edit: What I've had the most problems with at Roma is getting my forwards to not be ****. Totti, Ljalic, Destro and Boriello all have been beyond crap. My only players with over 7 in avR are my DCs

Okay here's where I'm at. I ended the first season a point away from the 3rd spot - so in 4th, barely missing out on CL spot. I played 19 games with the tactic, didn't touch any part of it. It started great, I went on a huge run. Drew my first game but then came a run of 6 wins in 7 games. The loss coming at a Juve penalty.

Then all of a sudden I lost 3 games in a row, all by one goal and always dominating.

Then I got on a 3 match winning streak putting me right into contention.

But nonon, 2 losses in a row, both by one goal, one conceded in the dying minutes made me 9 pts off CL spot with 3 games to go. I went on to win all 3 and ALMOST sneaking the spot. Lazio holding onto a 0-0 draw in the final game.

Then 2nd season rolls around, I buy and sell to fit the tactic to a teet ! Buy backups, sell wingers etc. etc. - But in the 2nd season I can't seem to be able to finish off games. I have drawn 8 games ! Won 6 and lost only 2. And those 2 losses yet again really harsh. I dominate all games really, shots, possession - you name it. But I can't seem to get my team stable. I'm in the 7th spot but I have the 2nd best goal diff - +16 . Reason for that is I either draw games and can't seem to finish my chances, or I go ham. Winning 5-0 or w/e.

Recently I've found the Rainmaker and started dabbling along with it. Will report later. I'm getting a bit insecure with my job but if I can get a run I'm only 8 pts off the top spot and the league is really tight. But I really can't seem to figure out how to get my forwards REALLY pounding. I bought Mitrovic in the summer to play as the CF and I use Ljalic as the F9. Granted they are both extremely young, but still - I would like them to take their chances.

Recently I've found the Rainmaker and started dabbling along with it. Will report later. I'm getting a bit insecure with my job but if I can get a run I'm only 8 pts off the top spot and the league is really tight. But I really can't seem to figure out how to get my forwards REALLY pounding. I bought Mitrovic in the summer to play as the CF and I use Ljalic as the F9. Granted they are both extremely young, but still - I would like them to take their chances.

One thing i have noticed to make a huge difference.

When watching the match/highlights, use the option to see your own team's body language.

Then take note how it changes depending your team talks and individual talks before match, half time and bringing subs in.

Based on those observations only, i have slowly learned what options i can use at home, what away and what kind of individual talks.

For example, being too demanding at away games, will almost certainly make young players nervous, no matter how good they are.

If striker is nervous, he will miss a lot of chances, even in "must score" kind of situations.

Update on my Rimini game in Italy Serie C1 (3rd tier).

Finished 2nd, went to playoffs and got my promotion through it. Could have finished 1st, but lost two last matches suffering a few goals from set pieces and/or corners, which has not happened much during the season.

Season was not so easy as the previous one in C2, which was a walk in the park.

This time I had to recur more times to Rainmaker, but it did not work so well for me. Ended up drawing against parked bus teams as I would have expected with S&S.

However, in many other occasions I used my customized S&S_COUNTER and it has worked very well for me. Specially in the last 5 playoff games where I faced very strong teams and was a big underdog. It seems to me that S&S works better when you are low to medium underdog. If the difference is bigger, something more defensive is needed. At least that is how it went for me.

Now I am in my 3rd season, had 2 consecutive promotions and I am going to Serie B. This one should be really tough. Media prediction is 22nd. Yes...LAST! :)

Another important thing that I noticed that saved me a few times was a quick comment by Rosler lost many pages ago: PUT YOUR FASTER DC ON THE 'COVER' ROLE (this would be the left DC in the default S&S and Rainmaker). My quick DC on cover real was able to cover very well, specially when the opposition pumped long balls to their SC on the back of my 'defend' DC.

Mr Rosler, might I direct you to post #609, this thread? In it the poster, lil ole me says that he changes the strategy during a match, while using your tactics sets. I have always been of the assumption that your S&S and Rainmaker tactics should only be used in the form in which you have made them and not to change the strategy during a match. By strategies I refer to 'contain', 'defensive', 'counter', 'standard', 'control', 'attacking' and 'overload'. Could you please advise as to the correct method of applying your rather good formation/tactics?

One thing i have noticed to make a huge difference.

When watching the match/highlights, use the option to see your own team's body language.

Then take note how it changes depending your team talks and individual talks before match, half time and bringing subs in.

Based on those observations only, i have slowly learned what options i can use at home, what away and what kind of individual talks.

For example, being too demanding at away games, will almost certainly make young players nervous, no matter how good they are.

If striker is nervous, he will miss a lot of chances, even in "must score" kind of situations.

Well I'm actually playing on FMC so it's even more just a plug and play.

But I don't know if I dare to jinx it, but I went on the best run I've had on FM since I almost can remember.

Right after I wrote the post I went ****ing ham. I used the Rainmaker B to get out of the slump like suggested, won 2 games. And then went onto use either the Rainmaker or S&S for how I felt. I don't have the game open as I am at work but I actually went to top the league. I caught up with everyone and now have a gap to the 4th spot of 7 pts - which really is all I am gunning for, that 3rd spot that gives me the CL spot.

And the funny thing ? I have a pretty small squad as I cleared out so many players in the summer, it's a squad of 23 players. And when I went onto that run I had the craziest of injury problems. At one point I had to play Adam Maher as the F9 as 3 of my forwards were out with injury. My bench was literally just backup fullbacks and defensive minded mid players. I could never sub in forwards if they were having problems. But I managed and it was thanks to Mitrovic shining, he went from 3 goals in the league at game 21 to 11 in game 28. He actually got on a bit of a drought when the rest of the players came back but still just got out of a 3 game drought, which was fine as Ljajic went pretty ham.

Now I did play Juve and Milan 2 games in a row when I was tied for the 1st with Juve. I drew Juve 1-1 with Chielinni scoring the equaliser late from their only SoT and then I lost to Milan after taking the lead with Matri scoring 2 identical goals, and even identical to the one he scored in the earlier fixture.

But I'm 2nd and think I can push the title but at least take 3rd. I play Napoli(3rd), Sampdoria(5th) and Catania(6th) and then some mid-table teams. Good results vs Napoli goes a long way to secure me getting at least 3rd like I want, but if I can get a run going again I could well challenge the title, seeing as I have the far best goal differential.

Mr Rosler, might I direct you to post #609, this thread? In it the poster, lil ole me says that he changes the strategy during a match, while using your tactics sets. I have always been of the assumption that your S&S and Rainmaker tactics should only be used in the form in which you have made them and not to change the strategy during a match. By strategies I refer to 'contain', 'defensive', 'counter', 'standard', 'control', 'attacking' and 'overload'. Could you please advise as to the correct method of applying your rather good formation/tactics?

Of course, anyone can do whatever they want with tactic once they've downloaded it.

I however use them exactly as they are and never change anything for even one second.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't work with a defensive or counter approach, I've just never tested it.

Bottom line is, you don't NEED to tweak anything, but you can if you want.

I've changed the S+S mentality for Champs League group stage matches results were,

Soligorsk 2- 1 Sporting Lisbon used counter then went to defend with 20min to go

Bayern 2 - 1 Soligorsk used defend then attack for last 10min almost stole a draw

Soligorsk 0 - 1 Inter Milan used counter then attack for last 15min after they scored

Inter 3 - 2 Soligorsk used counter, then defend then all out attack we were 2nil up at half time :-((((

Sporting 1 -2 Soligorsk used attack then defend for last 5min after they scored

Soligorsk 3 - 0 Bayern attack all game could have been 6-0

bottom line I feel the original attack was better.

yuv5.png

I should be happy but i'm not.

Ok, won the league season 1 with no transfers and a major injuries in 2nd half of season including hazard out for last 6 months.

But my points total is only 2 more than i got with Rainmaker and the goal difference is a bit worse.

Hand on heart i think the Home Tactic I currently have based on Rainmaker is maybe 1% or 2% better and the away tactic based on S & S is 4% or 5% better.

I dont feel comfortable releasing them without more improvement especially in the Home tactic.

I'm going to try and get 3 strikers working, i want close to a 100 league goals with Chelsea...... then i will be satisified.

Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime be advised to follow the advice below.

If you are a top team i.e media prediction 1st to 6th.

Use Rainmaker for all Home games.

Use Rainmaker for all away games except against the VERY top 3 or 4 teams. then use Silk & Steel.

If you are a Mid level team i.e media prediction 7th to 15th.

Use Rainmaker for all Home games in which you are favourite. When you are evens or an underdog use Silk & Steel.

Use Silk & Steel for all away games except against the very weakest teams where you are favourite where you can use Rainmaker.

if you are a low level team i.e media prediction 16th to 20th.

use Silk & Steel for all games.

*** based on a 20 team league. adjust accordingly mto your own league ***

Important

If you are using Rainmaker and you have a 1 goal lead with 20 minutes to go, switch to Silk & Steel to protect it.

If your are using Silk & Steel and are behind with 20 minutes to go switch to Rainmaker (this includes Low level teams) to try and recover.

Rainmaker

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ofrcptvmkr3rmtc/The%20Fulcrum%20-%20Rainmaker.tac

Silk & Steel 14.2

http://www.mediafire.com/download/van1f7wsk5sotam/The%20Fulcrum%20-%20Silk%20%26%20Steel%2014.2.tac

There is everything you need to succeed right here.

I am still working on creating better tactics if possible and will keep you updated.

Good luck all :brock:

(p.s thanks Burnum form your testing, i may be back to you :thup:)

are these updated tactics of your previous version?

I now know what it feels like to be David Moyes. Started the season with AS Monaco. Added F9 and DC to my line up and the preseason went ok. However, I went winless through my first 9 or 10 league games. It's now early November and I've almost been sacked once already. Just managed a win to move up to 17th position. Now that the team is almost completely fluid with the tactic, I'm hoping it will go better. I've also got Honda coming in on Jan 1 if I can make it that long. Ugh

Does anyone else concede almost solely on set-pieces ?

I dominate games HARD, we are talking 25+ shots and stuff like that, but I so often concede on set pieces it's making me want to punch myself in the face

edit: Decided to even run the numers.

Played 9 games this season.

Conceded 10

5 from Corners or free-kicks from the flanks

2 from penalties, both game the same game.

1 on the counter

2 after pretty normal open play.

Also, same problem as last season (Where I managed to end in the 2nd spot) Is I'm drawing way to many games to begin with, and it's games I am absolutely DOMINATING.

Again I play the Rainmaker most of the times, but use the S&S for away games and maybe some tight homegames. Still unbeaten but I need to be more productive in front of goal I feel like.

Does anyone else concede almost solely on set-pieces ?

I dominate games HARD, we are talking 25+ shots and stuff like that, but I so often concede on set pieces it's making me want to punch myself in the face

edit: Decided to even run the numers.

Played 9 games this season.

Conceded 10

5 from Corners or free-kicks from the flanks

2 from penalties, both game the same game.

1 on the counter

2 after pretty normal open play.

Also, same problem as last season (Where I managed to end in the 2nd spot) Is I'm drawing way to many games to begin with, and it's games I am absolutely DOMINATING.

Again I play the Rainmaker most of the times, but use the S&S for away games and maybe some tight homegames. Still unbeaten but I need to be more productive in front of goal I feel like.

Still working on getting more goals. Cannot for the life of me get any kind of consistent performance out of any of the AMC roles, basically they contribute nothing, Inside forwards are not doing it this year either so my options are getting limited. Still trying, in the end I normally get there!

It's weird seeing as you have figured out so many of the problems I had when trying to create tactics.

I might have gotten good amount of shots, but then always had many long shots.

Your tactics usually get you 15+ shots no matter the opponent, and 25+ vs lower teams and only about 7-14 of those are long shots. So we are getting pretty sound chances.

But any clue about the set pieces ? I have pretty good defenders in Benatia and Balanta and then De Rossi, Strootman and Xhaka also in the box, so nothing to shabby.

I changed the centre centre-mid to AP worked the 1 game I've played since put 6 past Braga in the first half. For def corners I've gone to the 3 tall,3 back system posted last week works better than any thing else I've tried, for attacking corners I'm using one of my own it basically send everyone to the near post while the corner taker aims for the back post where hopefully my guy with attack back post instruction heads it in.

Been working with 'work ball into box', definately reduces long shots but creates problems of its own. i.e i have seen strikers with a good opportunities to shoot turn around and pass it back into midfield.

There as also 'passive' benefits to long shots. high corner count, deflections and rebounds that fall to other players with a committed and stranded keeper etc.

I would like to think that players choose to shoot from long range because there are no good passing options on, but i actually think its 'hardcoded' into the ME at the moment so we are stuck with it unless you want 'work ball into box' switched on all the time.

I have gone back to S&S 14.2, and it's working wonders. 12 games gone, winning 9 and losing just 1, conceding only 6 goals. I have changed defensive corners to the below (found elsewhere), and haven't conceding once from a corner once.

30y9.png

if your not using this set up to defend corners I suggest you try it.

try this for defending corners i stumbled accross in another tactic and seems to work to good effect gk default dr mark near post dl mark far post dc mark tall player dc man mark dm mark 6 yard box mc mark small player then other 2 mc go back and 2 strikers also on each post same as dr + dl works to great effect ps cant wait till u release 3 striker tactic

Archived