The Fulcrum - Silk & Steel. A complete Tactical System for 14.1.4 and beyond......

I normally develop my tactics with Stockport moving thru the divisions from non league. Thats how i ended up with silk & steel which is an underdog tactic.

Then a few people said it wasnt working with 'big teams' who regularly encounter parked defences. So i used Chelsea to develop Rainmaker for stronger teams.

Then I got used to the Chelsea squad and found it was very easy to 'benchmark' results.

A good solid tactic with Chelsea will deliver the following.

Between 82 - 85 League Points

Between 76 - 85 League Goals scored

A goal difference of between +50 - +60

I have about 10 tactics who have hit that range.

I dont have any who have delivered better than that i.e 90+ points or 90+ goals.

When/if i do i will know I have a winner.

The plan would be to then try that tactic with a low rep team and 'reverse engineer' it to suit a low team as well.

That's right I remember the Stockport bit. It's unfortunate that you seem to have reached a glass ceiling with the 4132 so far. What I gather is this, whether it's 4 back or 3, everybody seems to pack the middle, not many favoring double winger situation, such as your flat 442s and 433 with wingers or inside fwds. Some use the DM in HB or BCD(cover), some DMs or Anchor, but other than that it's mostly short passing, lots of pressing, a lot of ball-chasing central 'dogs', like 5-6-7 players diving after the ball one after another, right around the middle circle....

Your Fulcrum system has been the best and most consistent that I've seen play in FM14, in all its variations. At least I got to enjoy some overachieving results while I try to learn from the variations, how ME interprets changes. (I hope I didn't offend you with this inquiry, or the joke)

That being said, and through various fixes in patches and all, I'm not a big fan of this year's game. Will check it out again after the ME update that will come with the data update but I'm not holding my breath.

p.s. And hey, no thoughts on fullback marking CFs?

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After testing half a season with Southampton (again) and FC Bayern I conclude that 'Mindstar Rising' is not an upgrade over 'Rainmaker' or SS. For now I'll continue to use Rainmaker & SS, depending on opponents.

@ Uwe: Is the 'Liberator' project (the one with the HB) dead?

I think Rainmaker is a solid overall tactic which can get you very far. SS is a very good defensive tactic. What we still need is an attacking tactic which will score a lot of goals (which goes along with the risk of conceding more of course) to put in when you're dominating but struggling to score or when you're a goal down late.

Agreed.

Getting solid defensive tactics is easy, getting a goal scoring monster is not.

Still puzzling this one out.

Interesting,

Rainmaker has just come top of an independent tactics test that i didnt even know was going on?

Thanks for the heads up Jason Bhoys:brock:

See below

Introduction:

Hey everyone. I'm an American of Portuguese descent. I support Benfica and the New England Revolution. I did a few of these Tactic Tests last year but would post the results in the individual tactic threads themselves. This year I decided to start my own thread just to be able keep it organized and easily track and compare results. Ive been an FM'r since the CM days and I want to contribute to the community in any way I can so this is it.

Now I know what you're all thinking "Not another tactic testing thread!!". A_ilfandy does a great job at what he does over on his tactic testing thread and he works hard at it. If you haven't checked it out please do so here.

How we Test:

The method of testing we're using is a 20-team 38-game custom league where we take your tactic, assign it to Team Mantorras, play a season with it and see how it stacks up against cpu teams that are controlled by 19 of the top managers in the game today. The key thing is to eliminate as many variables as possible and that is why every team is exactly identical from the Staff all the way down to the Training Facilities. This way it really focusses on the tactic itself.

- Each game is played at the Tactic Test Stadium vs cpu teams of equal value

Mantorras77's Tactic Testing League-mantorras_-information-facilities.png

- We make sure every tactic is fully fluid before the start of the season

- We start every season with Superb Morale

- We only substitute a player if the game makes us do it

- We will manually add OI's only if you require it

- Meet your Player's (The Outfielder and the Goalie) (200 CA for ea)

Mantorras77's Tactic Testing League-tactic-test-player_-overview-profile-2.png Mantorras77's Tactic Testing League-tactic-test-player_-overview-profile.png

FM14 TTL TABLE (Patch 14.2.2) (click on name of tactic below to download it)

TACTIC

W D L PTS GF GA GD PST #

The Fulcrum - Rainmaker 28 7 3 91 82 25 +57 374

3-4-2-1-0 romian & vezz (SicSyco tweak) 27 8 3 89 90 28 +62 305

Jassar BOMB (H/A set) 25 10 3 85 87 31 +56 376

xPer Modern Warfare tweak v4 (H/A set) 21 12 5 75 73 43 +30 380

My best tactic for FM14 22 7 9 73 71 39 +32 337

TESTS ABANDONED

41221 Vodu Blackpoison

Total Taka

4-4-2-fm14-Balkan style by Meraklija

TFF_Tactic_V9

Koen - Fast, Attacking, Beast. V3.5

full post

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2014-tactics/148092-mantorras77s-tactic-testing-league.html

That's right I remember the Stockport bit. It's unfortunate that you seem to have reached a glass ceiling with the 4132 so far. What I gather is this, whether it's 4 back or 3, everybody seems to pack the middle, not many favoring double winger situation, such as your flat 442s and 433 with wingers or inside fwds. Some use the DM in HB or BCD(cover), some DMs or Anchor, but other than that it's mostly short passing, lots of pressing, a lot of ball-chasing central 'dogs', like 5-6-7 players diving after the ball one after another, right around the middle circle....

Your Fulcrum system has been the best and most consistent that I've seen play in FM14, in all its variations. At least I got to enjoy some overachieving results while I try to learn from the variations, how ME interprets changes. (I hope I didn't offend you with this inquiry, or the joke)

That being said, and through various fixes in patches and all, I'm not a big fan of this year's game. Will check it out again after the ME update that will come with the data update but I'm not holding my breath.

p.s. And hey, no thoughts on fullback marking CFs?

I find it easier to ignore OI's as when i'm analysing a game i dont know if something happened because of the tactic or because of the oi's. its adds in another massive load of variables which I could do without.

And as I mentioned i especially dont consider defensive oi's relevant as setting up a defensive tactic is pretty straight forward although I appreciate there might be attacking benefits in the instruction you suggested.

I agree that the current ME is 'funnelling' most successful tactics down the same 'route'. packed midfield. fb's providing width and short passing with at least a nod towards possession based football.

Another fine example how Rainmaker and S&S can work when everything falls in to place.

I played EURO cup first knock out round against Dnipro.

We lost 2-1 away, so we had some work to do at home.

I started with Rainmaker and we got 2-0 lead on the first half.

I then decided to play it safer and switched to S&S for second half, knowing that the opponent would try to attack with full strength.

Well, we scored two more on the second half, winning 4-0 and the most funny/amazing thing was that my CF scored all the goals. Never before have i seen same guy score four goals in a match which was not some friendly game against poor opponent.

93nj.jpg

Edit:

This guy is not a superb striker, but he is quite fast (pace 15) and has ok finishing (12).

All goals came the same way, long ball from deep and he was alone against the keeper. Four times it happened and four times he scored :D

His age is 24, so he should do well for me as long as i stay at Frigg.

Keep getting better and better job offers, so i am considering that i let my contract run out (last year going) and continue my journey to another club. Have to see how this season goes first.

Hi!

i got a question. I want to start a save with Blyth Spartans (1 division lower then BSN/S) with a 'only youth' scenario. So not buying any players. Wich of your tactics would be best to test ?

This one. Silk & Steel 14.2.

Silk & Steel continues to impress.

Frigg got Anderlecht to play on EURO cup 2nd knock out round. Away match 1-1. Home 3-2 to Frigg, so we are through to quarter finals.

Next opposition will probably be a bit too much of a challenge, even with these tactics :D

Frigg team:

cs56.jpg

will face Olympique de Marseille team:

symx.jpg

Even though i have full faith in S&S + Rainmaker, i just can't see us going any further :D

I will let you know how it goes, first we have a match on Norwegian premiership though.

yuv5.png

I should be happy but i'm not.

Ok, won the league season 1 with no transfers and a major injuries in 2nd half of season including hazard out for last 6 months.

But my points total is only 2 more than i got with Rainmaker and the goal difference is a bit worse.

Hand on heart i think the Home Tactic I currently have based on Rainmaker is maybe 1% or 2% better and the away tactic based on S & S is 4% or 5% better.

I dont feel comfortable releasing them without more improvement especially in the Home tactic.

I'm going to try and get 3 strikers working, i want close to a 100 league goals with Chelsea...... then i will be satisified.

Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime be advised to follow the advice below.

If you are a top team i.e media prediction 1st to 6th.

Use Rainmaker for all Home games.

Use Rainmaker for all away games except against the VERY top 3 or 4 teams. then use Silk & Steel.

If you are a Mid level team i.e media prediction 7th to 15th.

Use Rainmaker for all Home games in which you are favourite. When you are evens or an underdog use Silk & Steel.

Use Silk & Steel for all away games except against the very weakest teams where you are favourite where you can use Rainmaker.

if you are a low level team i.e media prediction 16th to 20th.

use Silk & Steel for all games.

*** based on a 20 team league. adjust accordingly mto your own league ***

Important

If you are using Rainmaker and you have a 1 goal lead with 20 minutes to go, switch to Silk & Steel to protect it.

If your are using Silk & Steel and are behind with 20 minutes to go switch to Rainmaker (this includes Low level teams) to try and recover.

Rainmaker

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ofrcptvmkr3rmtc/The%20Fulcrum%20-%20Rainmaker.tac

Silk & Steel 14.2

http://www.mediafire.com/download/van1f7wsk5sotam/The%20Fulcrum%20-%20Silk%20%26%20Steel%2014.2.tac

There is everything you need to succeed right here.

I am still working on creating better tactics if possible and will keep you updated.

Good luck all :brock:

(p.s thanks Burnum form your testing, i may be back to you :thup:)

Hello Mr U Rosler

I love your tactics.

What about training and match prep??

Thank you

Congratulations on this great tactic. Actually its the only good in defence of all tactics released here and Fm Base. 20 games now and i conceed only from corners free kicks and penalties. I remember maybe 2 goals conceeded in real chances.

Truth is that i gave it another chance but i made a mistake. I though the MCRLs are Ball Winning Midfieldes. I made wrong transfers, i failed.

Congratulations on this great tactic. Actually its the only good in defence of all tactics released here and Fm Base. 20 games now and i conceed only from corners free kicks and penalties. I remember maybe 2 goals conceeded in real chances.

Truth is that i gave it another chance but i made a mistake. I though the MCRLs are Ball Winning Midfieldes. I made wrong transfers, i failed.

Make sure you are using the defensive corner routine on page 7. It helps a lot.

Lost the home match against OM.

They had way more possession, but we did have more than enough good chances to score. Just didn't have any luck in this match.

We still have a chance, but it will take a miracle to get a win in the away match.

I started this match with S&S, but switched to Rainmaker when they scored.

yu3m.jpg

We put up a good fight in the away match, but unfortunately it wasn't enough...

5off.jpg

I really wish we would have used our chances at the home match, we had a real shot to upset the odds here, but luck was not on our side.

I am now seriously considering a job offer also.

I was approached by Parma. They are now in Serie B, but the club is rich and has good facilities, so it should be quite possible to get them to Serie A quite fast.

So, for the first time i did not reject the job offer, but i put it on hold until the end of season (i think it means the Italian season, as the Norwegian season has completely different schedule). So, they will approach me again later and then i will need to decide what to do.

This Frigg manager position has been interesting, but let's face the facts. As the Norwegian premiership is low rated compared to big series, i will never be able to build a squad that could be really succesful in continental competitions also. So, maybe it would be time to move on...

I mentioned earlier that my Frigg contract is on it's last year. They have already offered me new contract 3 times, but so far i have declined. Pretty sure i will take the Parma offer...

After winning the Skrill Premier, we then had a slow start in League 2, staying midtable for a while. However, an upturn in form around Christmas time saw us gradually climb the table - so much so, we were in the run in for the title, not just promotion. 2 games to go, we were 3 points ahead of 4th place. We lost at home, then drew on the final day. We finished out of the automatic promotion spots on goal difference - gutted!

However, we managed to beat Dagenham on penalties in the Play Off semis (won 1-0 at home, lost 1-0 away), and then sneaked past Mansfield in the Final to go up!

I am now revamping my squad to try and do well in League One. The board has arranged a training camp in the East Midlands, so I arranged an away friendly at Coventry (of the Championship). I have about 16/17 players on trial, and started the match with 9 of the 11 players as trialists. We beat them 4-0...

I just don't get it. I have now tried S&S, Rainmaker, combination of both and I still cannot get a league title. 4 seasons with Liverpool and now on my second with Milan and I do pretty decent every season, but never really that close to winning the league. Only silverware I have is a Coppa Italia and FA Cup. I have good squads, not sure why I can't get the full potential out of this tactic? :(

Looks like you've outgrown the mighty Frigg. Parma looks good......

I think you are right :)

I started the game at the default start date on 2013, got a job at Frigg almost immediately.

At Frigg we have won:

1x Norwegian 2nd Division

1x Norwegian 1st Division

1x Norwegian Premiership

2x Norwegian Cup

And personal achievements

1x Norwegian Manager of the year

1x Norwegian Manager of the year runner up

So, not much to win in Norway anymore, Italy would be good and Parma is a solid club, even if they are in Serie B for the moment.

Preferred Player Moves

The area where I feel this of most benefit is in relation to finishing. All 4 of my strikers have 'places shots'.

Whatever you do I would get all of your strikers doing SOMETHING.

I would prioritise the finishing moves as follows.

Places shots

Blast the ball

Lob the keeper

First time shots

You should be able to get them to do one of the above.

Free kick takers = rifle free kicks in

ANYONE WITH 15+ LONG THROWS - FLAT BULLET THROWS AND GET THEM TAKING THROW IN'S!

I may explore this further at some point and would welcome suggestions.

how do i get a player to do preferred moves?

I just don't get it. I have now tried S&S, Rainmaker, combination of both and I still cannot get a league title. 4 seasons with Liverpool and now on my second with Milan and I do pretty decent every season, but never really that close to winning the league. Only silverware I have is a Coppa Italia and FA Cup. I have good squads, not sure why I can't get the full potential out of this tactic? :(

Get a grip on team talks. Specially half-time team talks. I will give a general half-time guideline for you, but you can study further for more specific scenarios.

If you are favorite:

- whenever the "revenge" option is available, USE IT (passionate)!

- drawing or losing: calm/disappointed

- winning by 1-0 or 2-0: calm/ don't get complacent

- winning by >3 goals: happy

Some guys will turn green. For the ones that don't, use individual talks [calm/have faith]. You will get a bunch more to turn green.

If you are underdog:

- drawing or losing: calm/keep going, you can still win

Some guys will turn green. For the ones that don't, use individual talks [calm/have faith]. You will get a bunch more to turn green.

Your second halves should be much better! Good luck!

how do i get a player to do preferred moves?

Ask coach to train the player via individual training.

Get a grip on team talks. Specially half-time team talks. I will give a general half-time guideline for you, but you can study further for more specific scenarios.

If you are favorite:

If you are underdog:

I agree that team talks are very, very important.

I however disagree on one thing. The "revenge option", i never use it anymore. It does get the players "green", but i think it gets them to wrong kind of mood. At least i haven't had much success with it.

If i am slight favorite, i cautiously demand a win. If i am clear favorite, i calmly demand a win.

At half time, i almost always use "calm/disappointed", unless game has gone really well.

For example, leading 1-0, but only the scorer ranked with good performance, is not good enough! :D

The complacent option is my second favorite at half time, that i usually use cautiously.

Almost always i follow up the team talk with individual "assertive/i have faith" option to whole team. That i do both pre-match and half time.

edit:

The "assertive/i have faith" individual talk to whole team usually does wonders.

The players who already got green effect from team talk, often get bonus effect like "inspired" etc and some of the players who were not affected by team talk, will also get the "green effect".

I don't find the `short passing` to be any good with the rather `rough` ME. I am finding more success using direct passing with the `pump ball into box`. Anyone modified the team tactics to greater affect? Great tactic btw!

*Perhaps seeing as I have the likes of Javi Garcia and Jordan Henderson in my team I cant expect Messi like football.

If you are favorite:

If you are underdog:

Ask coach to train the player via individual training.

I agree that team talks are very, very important.

I however disagree on one thing. The "revenge option", i never use it anymore. It does get the players "green", but i think it gets them to wrong kind of mood. At least i haven't had much success with it.

If i am slight favorite, i cautiously demand a win. If i am clear favorite, i calmly demand a win.

At half time, i almost always use "calm/disappointed", unless game has gone really well.

For example, leading 1-0, but only the scorer ranked with good performance, is not good enough! :D

The complacent option is my second favorite at half time, that i usually use cautiously.

Almost always i follow up the team talk with individual "assertive/i have faith" option to whole team. That i do both pre-match and half time.

edit:

The "assertive/i have faith" individual talk to whole team usually does wonders.

The players who already got green effect from team talk, often get bonus effect like "inspired" etc and some of the players who were not affected by team talk, will also get the "green effect".

Thanks for this guys. I will give it a go and report back.

Thanks for this guys. I will give it a go and report back.

I have mentioned it earlier (at least i think so), but it is a good idea to view the own teams body language on match display.

I actually have both own team and opponent team body language displays showing during entire match always.

By checking the body language display, you can see what kind of effect your team talks have had. For example, if half of the team is looking nervous after half time talk, the talk selection was poor and you will be in for a long and frustrating second half :D

If you have a very young squad, you must be more careful with demands. If you have experienced players, you can demand more. It also has an effect how well the team gets along, so check the assistant report after match and if he says that someone is trying to blend in to squad, put the team training to "team cohesion" for a week or two.

edit:

If you are on a good run, it is almost always good option to select the "i expect a win to keep our run going" if you are a favorite.

Again, cautiously if slight favorite, calmly if strong favorite.

On the other hand, after poor run, it is also good to use the "i expect a win to end our poor run". or something like that. Can't remember the exact sentence as it has been a while since i have seen it ;)

edit2:

Press conferences also have some effect. Check your team after a press conference to see if it caused positive or negative reaction in some players.

I have mentioned it earlier (at least i think so), but it is a good idea to view the own teams body language on match display.

I actually have both own team and opponent team body language displays showing during entire match always.

By checking the body language display, you can see what kind of effect your team talks have had. For example, if half of the team is looking nervous after half time talk, the talk selection was poor and you will be in for a long and frustrating second half :D

If you have a very young squad, you must be more careful with demands. If you have experienced players, you can demand more. It also has an effect how well the team gets along, so check the assistant report after match and if he says that someone is trying to blend in to squad, put the team training to "team cohesion" for a week or two.

edit:

If you are on a good run, it is almost always good option to select the "i expect a win to keep our run going" if you are a favorite.

Again, cautiously if slight favorite, calmly if strong favorite.

On the other hand, after poor run, it is also good to use the "i expect a win to end our poor run". or something like that. Can't remember the exact sentence as it has been a while since i have seen it ;)

edit2:

Press conferences also have some effect. Check your team after a press conference to see if it caused positive or negative reaction in some players.

Any suggestions for pre-match talk as a slight underdog or heavy underdog?

Any suggestions for pre-match talk as a slight underdog or heavy underdog?

If i am slight underdog, i use the "i know we are underdogs, but let's get the fans a performance to cheer for" with "passionately" option.

If i am heavy underdog, i "calmly" say that "you can play without pressure" option.

I still use the individual "assertive/i have faith" option to whole team, on both occasions.

edit:

It is also good thing to remember that you can demand more at home than away.

So, in away match when you are favorite, you might still want to be conservative with the demands, unless the opponent is much poorer.

If you don't demand enough against poor opponents (home or away), team thinks that you don't trust them and they underperform.

I hope Mr U Rosler doesn't mind, but i thought i'd post one example here.

Away game, we are slight favorites.

Match preview:

v61g.jpg

Pre-match team talk, i used the cautious demand win option:

4ofx.jpg

Pre-match individual talk, assertive / i have faith option:

6zt5.jpg

About 20 minutes in first half:

unlg.jpg

Half time talk, we are leading by two goals, but playing only ok. I use the avoid complacency option:

jdt3.jpg

Followed again by individual assertive / i have faith:

gi00.jpg

Start of second half, talk went ok, they are still focused:

vif8.jpg

Bringing in subs. This is tricky. If you are leading comfortably, subs almost always come as complacent or uninterested. Only professional minded players come as Composed.

Knowing that my subs are not professional minded, I tried to avoid complacency by demanding performance:

l636.jpg

Didn't help though:

byfk.jpg

Full time. Comfortable win leaves me with two options.

"Good win" or "i am very happy with the result and way you played".

I went with good win:

fq6e.jpg

At this point i usually also give passionate praise to players who got rating of 8.5 or more.

I also calmly say that i was disappointed if someone performed much worse than rest of the team.

MTM - what tactic is that?

The tactic on the picture is the opposing team tactic. I like to see if they change their formation during match.

I was playing Mr U Rosler's Rainmaker B on this match.

edit:

The point of my post was just to visualize the team talk / individual talk things i was trying to explain earlier :)

Is that Rainmaker B as per post #615 on page 7?

If not grateful for the link

thanks

No, that is the default Rainmaker. I use that also.

The "B version" is on post #2 on this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/379629-Chelsea-Season-1-Quadruple-No-Transfers-All-under-ME-14.2

I use Silk&Steel, Rainmaker and Rainmaker B, depending on opposition and match situation.

I have tweaked all of them with the corner instructions explained somewhere in this thread...

Hi,

I started using Rainmaker A a few matches into my first season with Crystal Palace. Started out a bit rocky, but have turned it around. A streak of 8 with no loss, beating Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal.

After 19 matches im 12th. 6-6-7.

I wasnt aware of the Silk & Steel tactic until now. You think i would benefit even more switching to S&S?

Dan

Hi,

I started using Rainmaker A a few matches into my first season with Crystal Palace. Started out a bit rocky, but have turned it around. A streak of 8 with no loss, beating Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal.

After 19 matches im 12th. 6-6-7.

I wasnt aware of the Silk & Steel tactic until now. You think i would benefit even more switching to S&S?

Dan

Season 1, Palace, yes I'd go S&S. Maybe Rainmaker for home games where you are favourite or you are chasing a game late on.

Mr Rosler, have you thought about making a narrow 4-2-3-1 formation/tactic?

Thought about a lot of things! Struggling to improve on what I've already put out.

Don't like amr/aml or 3 in AMC position so I'll leave that for others.

Short term I think Rainmaker & Silk & Steel need a combined thread as a few people are using 1 whilst not being aware of the other. They work well in tandem.

Think I can squeeze enough out of them both by tweaking a few bits to call them v2's.

Rainmaker isn't even set up for long throws which must be worth 5 goals a season for example.

I have also changed my views on key attributes in many cases.

I have one comment about Rainmaker B.

On the AMC position it seems to work very well, if the player is fast and creative.

I have this guy playing the position:

4pmz.jpg

So far seems to fit perfectly to the role. Works well as the CM also in Rainmaker and S&S.

Please share your thoughts :)

Your tactic is the perfect base no matter what players you have.

For exampe, i like my full backs to have CBs stats to clear headers also.

This is the guy i spend my season as a DL.

http://i41.tinypic.com/15frv5t.jpg

Training him heavy on Quickness.

He did very good, despite his instructions not fitting his attributes.

And this is my MCL : http://i39.tinypic.com/2q9kn4k.jpg

A wing back retrained for MC. His pace helped me a lot. I prefered it over strength.

PS. i dont play in Classic mode, those are screens from another save, same players though.

I'm on ME 14.2.2 and am wondering which tactic(s) to use and how to use them depending on who i'm playing(favourite, underdog etc)

I've read quite a bit of the thread but there seems to be a lot of different tactics kicking about so i'm confused as to what to use?

If someone could explain AND upload tactics with corner routine already done i'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Please share your thoughts :)

Your tactic is the perfect base no matter what players you have.

For exampe, i like my full backs to have CBs stats to clear headers also.

This is the guy i spend my season as a DL.

http://i41.tinypic.com/15frv5t.jpg

Training him heavy on Quickness.

He did very good, despite his instructions not fitting his attributes.

And this is my MCL : http://i39.tinypic.com/2q9kn4k.jpg

A wing back retrained for MC. His pace helped me a lot. I prefered it over strength.

PS. i dont play in Classic mode, those are screens from another save, same players though.

I think a few attributes are key, excellent passers across midfield, a fast Complete Forward etc but outside of that you can definately put your own 'stamp' on your team. Whether thats lots of 'big, physical players', pace everywhere, strong team workers or highly technical players etc.

I have my own ideas and i try to explain my reasoning but the tactics are flexible enough to do what you want really. (within reason)

Okay time for a little update.

I was in my 4th season with Roma. I started using the Fulcrum in the middle of the 1st season, somewhere on page 7 I tracked what had happened, the short version is.

1st season: 4th in the league

2nd season: 1st in the league

3rd season: 1st in the league - knocked out in groups in CL

So I started the 4th season with Roma, I had a perfect squad for the tactic, good 1st team and good backups. The 4th season was crazy annoying, I ended 6th in the league with 16 wins and get this 15 draws ! I could not manageto kill games, no one could score consistent and what not. I said to myself I would resign if I didn't win the CL which I was in the semi's vs Man Utd.

I went to trafford, played S&S to begin with and lost 3-1 - okay results in a sense, 2nd leg came, I went Rainmaker and got up 4-0 in the first half ! Holy ****, I could actually do this, they need 2 goals. Low and behold - of course they score the 2 goals in the 86th and 90th minute, leaving me heart broken. I decided to re-sign, I couldn't handle another league season without CL battles - and I felt my squad was somewhat perfect but the players just couldn't win the right games.

I got a job offer from Inter in January of next year, Inter had been a crazy mid-table team, never ending above 7th. I came in and saw they had been playing a 352 so I the squad didn't fit the 4132 so I had to do some transfers, bought myself 4x MC's who could play various roles.

Went on a crazy run after the initial gelling and won 8 games in a row, sky-rocketed from 14th to 5th. Got a bit of a slump in the later end of the season and ended 7th. Still I was happy with it, team had potential and I had a ST who scored for fun when I came in, he ended the season with 26 goals, and on my run he scored an avarage of 2 goals per game, 3 of them being 90th minute winner. Alberto Cerri is the lad - check him out.

So next season came, I wanted a CL placing which is now 4th or above. I also got into the EL because of the cup winner already having a EL spot. So I set sight for a Cup run and a CL spot and decided to let my backups play EL - at least to the quarter finals.

Long story short, I played pretty good. Won the cup, the EL and ended 3rd in the league, but it was crazy close to being 5th and only the odd win away from being champions. It was similar to Roma in the league in the way that I was crazy good when I was good, but then I couldn't for the life of me score enough ! I ended up with 90 goals scored. Cerri again scoring for fun, 32 games, 27 goals.

In the EL the spotlight was stolen by a lad named Hervin Ongenda - he scored for fun, 3x hattricks and 1x quad. Cerri was rested for the EL because both of them seemed to thrive in the CF role. Ongenda was first thought as a F9 seeing he had the creativity and was recommended as a Treq - but he couldn't get going in the F9 and my purchase from when I came in of Gaston Ramirez played the F9 to perfection in the league, 22 games, 11 goals and 10 assists.

Now onto the next season, I again felt I had completed my squad, I have a completely double squad - 2x CF's, 2x F9's etc. but again it's starting to look like that Roma season. I've played 7 league games, won 3, drawn 1 and lost 3.

And it's always the same, it's games I should be winning for the most parts, some more than others but still.

One thing that I've found out to be crazy annoying and can't remember if it was the same with Roma, but it's the amount of mistakes that lead to goals. The GK has a distribute to full backs, which is often great. But I've to often seen some crazy silly goals. And I hate it.

I can't seem to get this tactic to be perfect, it's good sometimes, amazing some games but then it seems to be just inconsistent enough to cost me points I need.

Mind you after I have the squad I like I play the Rainmaker way more, I mean I'm playing as a good team with some world class players so the S&S should really only be for the top teams and tricky ties.

One thing I noticed with Roma when I was playing the Rainmaker in my 3rd season was that I managed to keep crazy clean sheets, 8 games in a row once. But the S&S is supposed to be that tactic.

Also another thing, I play on key highlights - and during the later stages of my Roma games I had games with only one or two hightlights, It seemed like teams manage to park the bus very effectively, would you suggest playing the S&S when teams park the bus or stick with Rainmaker and hope it pays dividends ?

Archived