FM14: Tottenham Hotspur - "“ Sold Elvis and bought The Beatles..."

enders357

Update: Got Baines for €11 mill... Couldn't resist and shipped poor Danny off to Liverpool for 12 mill :)

Yeah, Pogba... Been trying with everything I've got, but Juve just won Seria A as well as the Champs League, knocking out Barca in semis and beating City in the final. There's no way he'll join me... completely uninterested :(

Same goes for second choice Goretzka! The bugger has 'no intentions' of joining me despite an accepted bid of €17 mill! So what to do now... You see what kind of player I'm going for, but where do I turn now?

Kovacic: Barca, Dortmund, Bayern, City, all the big ones have landed 40 mill bids for him :/

Koke: Moved to PSG last year.

Moutinho: Interested, but Monaco want 50 mill, which I just barely have, and I'm not willing to pay that amount for him.

Fabregas: It's doable (offered by agent, 35 mill), but will he perform as a box-to-box type? Not that great in defensive stats.

Ander Herrera: Same as Fabregas, not great in defence (Marking, tackling).

Yaya Toure: Unhappy at City! Listed for 9.5 mill... but of course 32 years old, and expecting a huuuuge paycheck. Still probably my first choice right now. Could also be a great tutor. Anyone have experience with him? I'm thinking muscle, drive, and experience...

Any other MC's worth considering?

Verratti is at Juve, Schneiderlin also with Nainggolan going the same way. Perhaps Hamsik? Ward-Prowse? Just a bit worried about the physical/defensive aspect of most of these guys...

What about Gundagon?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Illeramendi ? Is he getting a game at Madrid ?

I'm keeping my eyes on him in my game. Played a lot first season, but not so much in this second season so I'm hoping I can maybe prize him away at a later date if his value drops a bit. He has at least been mildly interested in joining me since the start of the game for some reason.

Update: Got Baines for €11 mill... Couldn't resist and shipped poor Danny off to Liverpool for 12 mill :)

Yeah, Pogba... Been trying with everything I've got, but Juve just won Seria A as well as the Champs League, knocking out Barca in semis and beating City in the final. There's no way he'll join me... completely uninterested :(

Same goes for second choice Goretzka! The bugger has 'no intentions' of joining me despite an accepted bid of €17 mill! So what to do now... You see what kind of player I'm going for, but where do I turn now?

Kovacic: Barca, Dortmund, Bayern, City, all the big ones have landed 40 mill bids for him :/

Koke: Moved to PSG last year.

Moutinho: Interested, but Monaco want 50 mill, which I just barely have, and I'm not willing to pay that amount for him.

Fabregas: It's doable (offered by agent, 35 mill), but will he perform as a box-to-box type? Not that great in defensive stats.

Ander Herrera: Same as Fabregas, not great in defence (Marking, tackling).

Yaya Toure: Unhappy at City! Listed for 9.5 mill... but of course 32 years old, and expecting a huuuuge paycheck. Still probably my first choice right now. Could also be a great tutor. Anyone have experience with him? I'm thinking muscle, drive, and experience...

Any other MC's worth considering?

Verratti is at Juve, Schneiderlin also with Nainggolan going the same way. Perhaps Hamsik? Ward-Prowse? Just a bit worried about the physical/defensive aspect of most of these guys...

Not saying you'll have any luck getting these guys but for that powerful box-to-box type who's good going forward, I'd look at Vidal, Kroos and Gundogan. Javi Martinez is also insanely good but a bit more defence minded. Marek Hamisk? Maybe a bit to old. I like Ward-Prowse. Will Hughes can develop well.

I'm an Athletic Bilbao fan in real life and I wouldn't go for Ander. He's a nice little playmaker but I don't think he's powerful enough for the Premier League and probably a little bit off that top top player (as 'Arry says) that you seem to be after.

Obiang could struggle for a game at Juventus

Thiago is struggling to find a way in at Bayern on my save, but is obviously a little more attack minded.

Axel Witsel has all the necessary tools to suit the Prem

Strootman

Kondogbia is awesome

Florenzi

Imbula

just some more names off top of my head

Have you had a look at Strootman at Roma? He's on my shortlist and PSG have just had a bid of £24m accepted for him. Where did you finish last season? Could be the reason why the big names aren't interested. Denys Garmash of Dinamo Kyiv is a much cheaper option but still rated at 4* by most scouts.

Thank you very much guys!

So many good players mentioned :)

Some of them, I’d completely forgotten about as somehow they’re under my scouting radar in this game ;) Ok, here goes…

Vidal: Favourite player IRL. Absolutely not interested as Juve cleaned the table last season.

Kroos & Thiago: Getting loads of playing time under their current manager. Guess who? AVB!!! :)

Banega: Not good enough. At PSG currently…

Obiang: Missed out on him. At Valencia.

Strootman Just turned me down in favour of Chelsea, and they also stole Florenzi last year from under my nose.

Kondogbia is apparently very happy playing for an average of 10000 spectators in Monaco.

Guess it's my failure to progress beyond Man United in the CL that is hampering my rep... Should've thought that with two consecutive PL titles, there would be more interest. Also my bad luck that the old lady in Italy are winning everything :/

Will ABSOLUTELY take a closer look at Witsel! Don’t know how I could forget him :) Also Rabiot looks promising, although still under development…

Unfortunately Illarramendi has been playing a lot since Klopp took over last year, but Alonso aged 33 actually still looks nifty.

Andre Ayew can be retrained in to a pretty spectacular midfielder. Strong, powerful, loves to run with the ball.

Already have Ayew retrained for MC, and is fascinating to watch him play there, although… HE DOES THE CRAZY DRIBLING THING ALL THE TIME! :D It’s super on the wing, but having him go gung-ho on 5-6 players in the middle of the park EVERY time he gets the ball is just too much, EVEN THOUGH it’s great fun ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m looking further into it, with Toure and Witsel my current favorites. I’ll report back later ;)

rune_star - how's Dennis Praet developing at Anderlecht? I reckon he's got the quality to be as good as Goretzka tends to be.

Uh, didn't even know this guy!

But a 6, 7, 7 and 9 for marking, tackling, aggression and strength is just not solid enough defensively. Thanks though!

Think I've finished my signings for summer 2014/15 now (and, dare I say it, it's turned out better than before the crash):

Screenshot2014-01-20215211_zps1666aaca.png

Transfers out are too many to fit in a screenshot - but here's the ones that matter:

Naughton to Wigan, £3.3m (felt the squad was getting too big and prefer to use Capoue as cover for Walker anyway)

Holtby to Everton, £4.6m (I like this guy but he only played 4 league games in my first season and I want to give Carroll a shot)

Adam Smith to Forest, £425k (Like Naughton, just no need for him in the squad despite liking him as a player)

Livermore to Fulham, £4.9m (no explanation needed)

Townsend to Liverpool, £9.5m (barely played in my first season, prefer Lennon as he offers something different to Lamela)

Adebayor to Celta, £1.5m (4 appearances in my first season, doesn't warrant £100k wages, fancy giving Kane a shot as back up)

BAE to Malaga, £1.5m (took less than I wanted to so I could get his wages off the bill)

Chadli to Porto, £11.5m (decent player in my first year but feel like Turan is an upgrade and will use Siggy as his back up/rotation)

Doesn't it make you furious when Arsenal sign players you like? It basically means they're dead to you. Nobody moves from Arsenal to Spurs and the fans would hate it if they did. Unfortunately for me this means Mitrovic and Andre Ayew are gone.

The Spurs fans hating signing Arsenal players is a myth, well atleast on FM. :) I've had Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshire and even Özil on my Spurs team with no problems. O-C was even fans player of the year his first season at Spurs. Özil only spent one season with me, 'cause he didn't perform, but O-C and Wilshire have been in my starting eleven for a few seasons already. Though Wilshire is currently being outplayed by my 20 yo. French newgen by a mile and might have to go 'cause he's on way too big wages for a second-eleven player as my biggest earner with £180K/w.

Thank you very much guys!

So many good players mentioned :)

Some of them, I’d completely forgotten about as somehow they’re under my scouting radar in this game ;) Ok, here goes…

Vidal: Favourite player IRL. Absolutely not interested as Juve cleaned the table last season.

Kroos & Thiago: Getting loads of playing time under their current manager. Guess who? AVB!!! :)

Banega: Not good enough. At PSG currently…

Obiang: Missed out on him. At Valencia.

Strootman Just turned me down in favour of Chelsea, and they also stole Florenzi last year from under my nose.

Kondogbia is apparently very happy playing for an average of 10000 spectators in Monaco.

Guess it's my failure to progress beyond Man United in the CL that is hampering my rep... Should've thought that with two consecutive PL titles, there would be more interest. Also my bad luck that the old lady in Italy are winning everything :/

Will ABSOLUTELY take a closer look at Witsel! Don’t know how I could forget him :) Also Rabiot looks promising, although still under development…

Unfortunately Illarramendi has been playing a lot since Klopp took over last year, but Alonso aged 33 actually still looks nifty.

Already have Ayew retrained for MC, and is fascinating to watch him play there, although… HE DOES THE CRAZY DRIBLING THING ALL THE TIME! :D It’s super on the wing, but having him go gung-ho on 5-6 players in the middle of the park EVERY time he gets the ball is just too much, EVEN THOUGH it’s great fun ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m looking further into it, with Toure and Witsel my current favorites. I’ll report back later ;)

Andrea Poli?

All this talk of midfielders only makes it more frustrating that Bentaleb's CA and PA seem so underrated.

Got a feeling Bentaleb may get a bit of a bump when the January update is released. He's currently on loan at Gillingham on mine and is about 1.5* so nowhere near the first team. Shame really because none of that promising group (Fryers, Coulthirst, Winks etc) are good enough to break into the first team.

So, I've just finished my first season at Tottenham and I'm glad to say I finished 4th.

Tottenham_zpse6810f10.png

I do consider myself fortunate to get into the top four though. At times we would be very inconsistent (Winning 3 games out of 10) and drop silly points against teams we should be beating. Arsenal had a pretty poor season by their standards which probably helped us.

dfhsd_zps1b7930e7.png

As you can see, for the majority of the season we were in the top four. We did have a shaky start as I was tied between playing a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-2-2-1. I realised a 4-4-2 wasn't the best due to the shortage of strikers available (I sold Adebayor and left myself with Defoe, Soldado and Kane) and in the end, I chose a 4-1-2-2-1. It offered more defensive support and I would rather win a game 2-0 than 4-2.

As I have already mentioned, I sold Emmanuel Adebayor. I'm not the biggest fan of him and I thought receiving £9.5m from Monaco was a decent amount for him. The only signing was Fábio Coentrão. As soon as I looked at the squad I realised the shortage and lack of quality in the LB spot. Danny Rose is a good little player but I don't think he can take us to the next level. He provided good backup throughout the season. Fábio Coentrão wasn't my first choice though. I originally went in for Luke Shaw but Southampton wanted £40m for him and I wasn't going to pay that. I then went for Davide Santon and had agreed a fee and terms with the player and club but Bayern Munich came in with a late bid and I was not surprised to see the Italian chose them.

Unfortunately, there was no cup success. I aimed for either the F.A. Cup or the Europa League but I didn't come close to winning either. After beating Shrewsbury and Swindon in the F.A. Cup, I couldn't beat Newcastle. Despite having the better game, they took their chances whereas we didn't. I play my youngesters in the CoC and they lost to Sheffield United in the 3rd round.

ghsgnng_zps6f8fb136.png

I got through the Europa League with ease and won all six games. In the first knockout round we faced Genk and after getting a 2-2 draw away, we beat them 2-0 at WHL to qualify into the next round. Next up we faced Marseille. We should of had a comfortable lead going into the second leg but Marseille defended well and the score was tied at 0-0 after the first leg. We then went to their place where they absolutely dominated us and had a 3-0 lead at HT. At that point, I knew it was over and despite going more attacking after the break, we couldn't break Marseille down and we were out.

Plans for the next season? Well. I can see Naughton and Chadli going for sure. I have retrained Capoue to play RB so he will provide good competition with Walker. Chadli was very average for me. When he got the ball, he would either hesitate to take on the defender or pass it to the opposition. I'm glad he had his best game of the season against Arsenal though. I'm considering selling Townsend or Lennon with Lennon more likely due to his age. I might attempt to shift Soldado too. After getting 10 goals this season, I wasn't impressed with him and his huge wages could be spent better elsewhere.

I shall end the update with this. Enjoy :).

olikujhnbfgvds_zpsa7cecc5c.png

mhgxjfxhtdz_zps3279a219.png

Just to give everyone a quick update on my game (in a nutshell), for those who are interested.

I am into my third season now..

First season went okay, finished 5th, signed Baines (unreal), and Huntelaar, sold Adebayor, Dawson and Rose. Struggled at the start, but kicked on in the winter, finished with a wimper hence why I didn't make Champions League.

Second season, I finished 4th, signed ter Stegen (sold Lloris to PSG), di Maria, Welbeck on loan and a back up keeper. Di Maria was alright, but has kicked on a lot now, Danny Welbeck was brilliant though, really surprised by how he performed.

Third season, I signed Alvarez Balanta (3.5m, looks a steal, gone up to £14m value already) and Sergio Aguero. Man City finished 5th, and he was after playing in the Champions League, along with Yaya, Nasri, Negredo and Jovetic, they all wanted out. Set me back, well not me back but Daniel Levy, a massive £45 million (£30m in instalments), he scored in his last game, but has struggled overall, any suggestions on what role to have him on?

I have signed Aguero in the summer before season two and I'm about five games in to the season. He has been okay so far. I have him playing false nine or complete forward ( he has a ppm of dropping deep anyway ), with Lamela and Sigurdsson as IF's looking to feed off of him and score goals. It suits me having those guys grab a lot of the goals since Aguero has some big bonuses for goal scoring exploits ;-). I'll be playing a session tonight so I'll let you know how he is doing

so jan window of 2nd season and utd bid 14.5mil for townsend, now utd have come back with a 18.5mil bid which seems insane to me currently only have carrol, townsend, Rose who i have as howngrown club and i have smith as my 4th so what do i do, sell on townsend or keep hold of him for another season end of 15/16 which is when i would have 4 players becoming club based homegrown

For any interested, here are my tactics that I am using on my current Spurs save. They work pretty well for me, I don't have much problem with Soldado's production and I don't concede much. Note that these do not have the ideal personnel in each image.

My standard tactic, use it 95% of the time as I can change the team instructions pre-match to shape it.

26ta.png

A deeper tactic for tough matches (read away to league leaders or in EURO Cups). Wasn't very useful in the first season as I didn't have a DLP to play in one of the spots. Carroll plays very well there this season.

xqb6.png

Lastly, a narrower version that I created for the first season with all of the AMCs at the club. It was to mainly deal with rest/injury and I will probably dump it for a 2 striker formation soon.

2wuk.png

Here are my transfers for both seasons. Unfortunately I left FM open on my desktop and don't have the last 2 recorded here for 14/15 season.

ur6j.png

Second Season adds Ade on loan to Valencia and Gabriel Barbosa (4.5 start version) IN. I had to jump on Barbosa as RM and Barca both started sniffing. I think Chelsea even jumped on the bandwagon. But I won!:D

gp5u.png

If anyone is keeping track... I have a 550k surplus in my wage budget right now. And a few extra million left over for January. If we aren't performing like expected there will be a massive purchase in January. Otherwise I will keep buying players 21 or under so I can unload the HG dross over the first 4 seasons. My current average age is 22 and I am tied for 1st in the league. :thup:

so jan window of 2nd season and utd bid 14.5mil for townsend, now utd have come back with a 18.5mil bid which seems insane to me currently only have carrol, townsend, Rose who i have as howngrown club and i have smith as my 4th so what do i do, sell on townsend or keep hold of him for another season end of 15/16 which is when i would have 4 players becoming club based homegrown

Sell him! That's silly money for him. You can just leave a spare spot in the squad to make up for the lack of the 4th homegrown player.

Out of sheer boredom tonight I left my computer running a managerless save for three seasons from the start to see how Spurs would do. Just checked in towards the end of the third season and they're 11th, Steve Clarke is their manager (AVB left for Man Utd and Laudrup replaced him, getting sacked a year later), they've finished no higher than 6th and have made some shocking - and I mean shocking - transfers. They signed Anderson! And sold Sandro! They signed Danny, and sold Sigurdsson. They signed van Rhijn and sold Kaboul. Idiots.

Maybe my management isn't so bad eh, My Levy? ;)

The two interesting signings they made were Joe Allen and Jon Williams, both for around £6m at the end of season two, and both are doing really well. Soldado's also a hit, leading the Premier League goalscoring charts. If only I knew how to get him scoring!

I have signed Aguero in the summer before season two and I'm about five games in to the season. He has been okay so far. I have him playing false nine or complete forward ( he has a ppm of dropping deep anyway ), with Lamela and Sigurdsson as IF's looking to feed off of him and score goals. It suits me having those guys grab a lot of the goals since Aguero has some big bonuses for goal scoring exploits ;-). I'll be playing a session tonight so I'll let you know how he is doing

Did you have any luck with him? What role would you think is best for him?

Did you have any luck with him? What role would you think is best for him?

I, too, had Agüero for a couple of seasons in my Spurs team. Played him mostly as a T in the amc position or a F9 as a striker. He never was as good as I'd hoped, but did on okey job. Then again, I never got Eriksen or Lamela to work for me either.. :D Made a hefty profit with Agüero, though, as I bought him for £17.75M and sold him to Real for £50M. :)

Only played about five games last night. Nothing to report really, he has been fairly quiet and not scored many goals at all, tbh. Again, I think it may be the formation I'm playing. Having said that, I have accidentally had CF on support, and only switched it to attack for my final game last night, so I'll see if that makes a difference going forward

Started him off as a poacher, he's scored a few, a penalty against Debrecen in the Champions League, one against Leicester and one against Chelsea and one in the cup against the Toon, he hasn't set the world alight by any means, but I suppose it's still early doors.

I am due to move in to the new stadium at the end of this season, is the naming of the stadium random?

I am due to move in to the new stadium at the end of this season, is the naming of the stadium random?

Mine was named New White Hart Lane and I've heard meny other people's stadiums been named the same. I'm now in season 2019/20 and NWHL has already been expanded, too. I spent last season at Wembley while the NWHL was expanded and now has the capacity of 70312, which is nice. :)

Anyone tried Dembele at AMR inside forward. I am currently playing him there fourth season and he is keeping Lamela out of the team. Scored 8 in 6 with 5 assists,destroying teams with Eriksen single handily!!!

Never thought of it before, probably because he's so key to the midfield at the start, but sounds like it'd work great.

Never thought of it before, probably because he's so key to the midfield at the start, but sounds like it'd work great.

Yeh I can see your point definitely not at the start. He was out of contract in a years time and wanted 120K a week at 28 and I don't normally like keeping players when they are getting on but now I have a really young team I wanted him to stay. My centre midfield is packed, managed to sign Xavi for £700K to tutor Barkley and Hughes plus he is still world class. Lamela and Meyer were injured so thought bugger it play him there as I remembered I did retrain him to play there and he cuts in and scores more often than Lamela atm who was also on fire before getting injured. Definitely worth a try. Looking @ Walker,Sandro,Lloris and Dembele to become legends at the club

Ok, just a quick update on the whole MC situation as promised…

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve spend the time scouting, re-scouting, second-opinion re-scouting and so on :)

I got more and more desperate as I felt that even though I have a great team, I just needed to step up that extra little bit, to make us more competitive in the CL, and therefore I felt that I just HAD to get a super player for the MC…

Started landing more or less desperate bids on a couple of players that I knew I wouldn’t get, either due to rep, or monthly wages. Among those was a €40 mill bid for Kovacic who was already in talks with PSG, Chelsea, Barca and so on. Even though I gave him my most generous offer, he chose PSG. This then led me to click the PSG squad and lo and behold: Koke was suddenly unhappy! :D

Seems the lad didn’t like the prospect of being part of a side whose central midfield now consisted of Kovacic, Dembele, Kwadwo Asamoah, Nuri Sahin, Lucas Moura, Cabaye, Pastore, Cavani(!), Banega, Rabiot, etc etc… So even though he was fans player of the year and had spend two fantastic seasons in terms of assists/goals/avg. rating, I was allowed to speak to him, and so it came to pass: Koke is now a Spurs player for a small matter of €32 mill…

I know I probably overpaid, but it doesn’t really matter… I am now confident I have a squad with just the right improvements to step up in the CL as opposed to last year, while still maintaining a firm grip on the league :D

By the way… also sold Soldado for a measly 7 mill (AC Milan). He was getting on a bit (30 years) and I felt it was time to play Werner and Mitrovic as rotating starters, with Barbosa as 'trainee'…

Archived