FM14: Tottenham Hotspur - "“ Sold Elvis and bought The Beatles..."

enders357

I started a completely new game and I won my first season game against Southampton 5-1. Amazing football being played and then I trailed off again with some soft games against mid table opposition. Same tactic didn't want to change success and found my team falter a bit. I'm thinking it could be because of gelling issues, but who knows.

Thats what ive found with this tactic and new faces on my game but next season im not planning on any first team signings so they should gel quite quickly next season ill only be giving the players a short holiday at the end of the season then get them working on the tactic and fitness straight away

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two matches left in season one and it's been a rocky road. Out of all the cups and 7th in the league at the moment. Still a slight chance to qualify for next seasons Champions League as I'm only two points behind third place. Should be interesting. :)

Two matches left in season one and it's been a rocky road. Out of all the cups and 7th in the league at the moment. Still a slight chance to qualify for next seasons Champions League as I'm only two points behind third place. Should be interesting. :)

I'm not even at Christmas yet I've been so busy. Desperate to get home tonight and play.

Finally got past Christmas in my first season on the new patch. Its not been the best of starts, its not been the worst of starts...

Screenshot2014-03-11235710_zpsddc82a46.png

As you can see, there have been some great games and some not so great ones too...

Screenshot2014-03-11235743_zpsdf421a6d.png

Screenshot2014-03-11235800_zps2705feff.png

Finding consistency hard to come by.

I'm not even at Christmas yet I've been so busy. Desperate to get home tonight and play.

I only had time to play one of those two matches and managed to beat So'ton 2-1 at home, even though I went down 0-1, but a Adebayor brace gave me the deserved win. At work now, but I think I'm fifth now, one point from 4th place, so anything can still happen. But I probably can't handle the pressure and lose to 15th place Norwich away. ;) We'll see tonight. Finishing out of the Champions League places wouldn't be a disaster, though. It happened to me on my last save as I fininshed fifth in the first season but went on to win seven of the next eight league campaigns after that.

I only had time to play one of those two matches and managed to beat So'ton 2-1 at home, even though I went down 0-1, but a Adebayor brace gave me the deserved win. At work now, but I think I'm fifth now, one point from 4th place, so anything can still happen. But I probably can't handle the pressure and lose to 15th place Norwich away. ;) We'll see tonight. Finishing out of the Champions League places wouldn't be a disaster, though. It happened to me on my last save as I fininshed fifth in the first season but went on to win seven of the next eight league campaigns after that.

I remembered wrong, I was 6th, and that's where I ended up in the end. I crushed Norwich 2-5 away, but not enough teams slipped up and lost points above me. It was an extremely tight league, with Liverpool ending up as surprise winners.

This is the way the table was for the top-nine of the table:

Liverpool 72

Man City 71

Southampton 71

Newcastle 70

Everton 69

Tottenham 69

Man Utd 66

Chelsea 65

Arsenal 64

Plenty of "what if's" with such a tough start to the season, but next season we'll bring some silverware to White Hart Lane! :)

I remembered wrong, I was 6th, and that's where I ended up in the end. I crushed Norwich 2-5 away, but not enough teams slipped up and lost points above me. It was an extremely tight league, with Liverpool ending up as surprise winners.

This is the way the table was for the top-nine of the table:

Liverpool 72

Man City 71

Southampton 71

Newcastle 70

Everton 69

Tottenham 69

Man Utd 66

Chelsea 65

Arsenal 64

Plenty of "what if's" with such a tough start to the season, but next season we'll bring some silverware to White Hart Lane! :)

Interesting to see Southampton and Newcastle up top on your save as they're doing really well on mine too (despite me nicking Luke Shaw from Pochettino!).

I reckon 6th's a pretty good start. Do you know what kind of budget you have for next season yet?

I reckon 6th's a pretty good start. Do you know what kind of budget you have for next season yet?

Finishing 6th is an ok start. There's so many new players in the team at start so it was going to be a tough season right from the start. I reckon next season a top four place should be realistic. No idea yet about the transfer budget. I'm pretty happy with my team, though, so no need for huge money. Adebayor is going to be sold and maybe Soldado, too. Dongou will get more playing time and I'll probably bring in a quicker DC, with all the DC's now in the team being quite slow on feet.

Finishing 6th is an ok start. There's so many new players in the team at start so it was going to be a tough season right from the start. I reckon next season a top four place should be realistic. No idea yet about the transfer budget. I'm pretty happy with my team, though, so no need for huge money. Adebayor is going to be sold and maybe Soldado, too. Dongou will get more playing time and I'll probably bring in a quicker DC, with all the DC's now in the team being quite slow on feet.

Already thinking a revamp of my front line will be my priority too. I like Kane as back up but neither Soldado or Adebayor are doing it for me. My scouts reckon I could get Sturridge, and I like the idea of Danny Ings as back up too.

Who are you looking at as centre backs? I'm struggling to identify targets there and feel I need to bring one more in. Veljkovic is a couple years away, Kaboul's always injured and Dawson's too slow.

So I also have started a new new game as I felt I had done something really wrong and I think I have. Training plays a huge factor in getting results I have found as I have allowed my assistant manager to run training and I have gotten much better results. Although there have been blimps and I find myself in 6th as well. He worked heavy on fitness pre season then he switched to a team cohesion thing so far. I do match stuff and tactics. His tactical advice needs working, but so far so good.

ENDERS and R1KU I have found that for Center Back Ashley Williams is amazing as a signing. Had a lot of problems with my centerbacks losing Kaboul and Jan right off the bat and I sold Dawson as I don't rate him (personally) and Ashley and Vald have done an amazing job for me. Just immense. He is a leader and has great attributes for mental. He can also slot right in since he has been playing in the prem for sometime. I would suggest him.

I got a MASSIVE transfer budget of £5M for season two. :D Like I said I'm quite happy with my squad, so not too worried. Gonna offload the likes of Livermore and other to scrape up more money. I've had an offer of little over £10M for Doria accepted and he's wanting really low wages, too, which is nice. I have a couple of young guys coming in the summer, so I should be fine. And it's fun not changing the whole squad the first summer. It helps that after the latest patch the likes of Paulinho, Bentaleb, Veljkovic etc. are good enough to be rotation players.

I'm expecting a small budget myself - I assume the new stadium will be announced in summer 2014 (was yours, R1ku?), plus I was given no extra funds for January and was refused any when I asked so I assume money's tight. Like you, R1ku, I'm pretty happy with the squad and, honestly, I find it more fun to work with the real life players for a couple of seasons and bring new people in gradually.

Luckily there's a fair few players that be can be moved on to raise funds - thinking Chadli, Livemore, BAE, Adam Smith, and a few other reserves. Maybe even Tom Carroll. I think I might use Holtby when he's back from his loan but it's possible I'd accept an offer for him or Sigurdsson if one came in.

Hopefully I'll be able to raise enough funds to buy a young centre back and maybe someone for the left wing. I think I'll have to park my overhaul of the front-line for another year, though with Soldado on a run of 12 goals in 11 games at the moment that's not something I'm too concerned about. I'd quite like to shift Adebayor, he's been largely useless and his £100k a week wages can be turned in to a decent transfer kitty but I don't know who I'd sign in his place.

Small rant...

Everybody here pisses on Chadli, but so far I have found that he is a loyal player and more than willing to be a squad guy to fill in the gaps. He can play anywhere in AM as well as MC (and he is a bruiser), and usually does a good job when covering. I am also positive that he could play DLF of F9 if you do 2 up top. I keep him around every save for his versatility.

Small rant...

Everybody here pisses on Chadli, but so far I have found that he is a loyal player and more than willing to be a squad guy to fill in the gaps. He can play anywhere in AM as well as MC (and he is a bruiser), and usually does a good job when covering. I am also positive that he could play DLF of F9 if you do 2 up top. I keep him around every save for his versatility.

never been able to get him to perform well in any position. I love an all-rounder in the squad (Capoue's ability to play well covering 4 different positions makes him one of my favourite players) but Chadli just isn't cutting it for me.

So you guys don't need a CB. Ashley comes quite cheap and is a stellar backup if you needed him. Just fantastic.

Ive had him before in a Southampton save and know how great he can be but I want to bring in someone much younger, if I can find someone.

Anyone else watch the Benfica match tonight and find themselves thinking, maybe even mumbling to their mates, "I could do better than Tim"? ;)

Every match lately, when the 60-65 minute mark hits, we are behind, and Tim just has a look of helplessnes I want to scream at him "MAKE A SUBSTITUTION YOU W@#$@ER!" I always feels he leaves it just a little bit too late.

I will say though, that I don't care who else leaves during the summer at this point (whether dumped or in search of Champions league) except for Eriksen. If he goes, I will throw a fit.

Every match lately, when the 60-65 minute mark hits, we are behind, and Tim just has a look of helplessnes I want to scream at him "MAKE A SUBSTITUTION YOU W@#$@ER!" I always feels he leaves it just a little bit too late.

I will say though, that I don't care who else leaves during the summer at this point (whether dumped or in search of Champions league) except for Eriksen. If he goes, I will throw a fit.

It's the total lack of consistency in the team selection and formation that's frustrating me. He needs to settle things down.

Oh well, I don't suppose we'll have to worry about Tim for much longer.

I'm not overly attached to any of the players, I just hope we don't have another mass clear out and shopping spree. A bit of consistency is needed.

It's the total lack of consistency in the team selection and formation that's frustrating me. He needs to settle things down.

Oh well, I don't suppose we'll have to worry about Tim for much longer.

I'm not overly attached to any of the players, I just hope we don't have another mass clear out and shopping spree. A bit of consistency is needed.

The consistency in team selection is ultimately what doomed AVB too... if a chosen XI can't gel (which is needed when you buy 5 midfielders in a summer!) you will never get consistency. Oh well. Maybe I will fire up a new save and attempt to create the Sherwood, but with what I think is the optimal team selection. Then send a screenshot to Timmy...

I've managed to get myself in to a strong position in the fight for a CL place...

Screenshot2014-03-15083503_zps39694d5b.png

But just look at my upcoming fixtures. After Villa I have Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City. Eek.

Screenshot2014-03-15083521_zpse3c75166.png

It's getting tough to prioritise. I have Saint Etienne in the QF of the Europa League followed by Frankfurt or Red Bull Salzburg if I get to the Semi, so that looks promising. Ideally I'd obviously like to finish 4th and win the Europa but my fixture list suggests I should aim for one or the other... just not sure which!

Even though I finished 6th last season I'm not in the Europa League, not even in the qualification stage. Must have had just the "right" winners in the Capital One Cup and the FA Cup for this to happen. And I'm already out of this seasons C1C after a penalties loss away to L2 Shrewsbury. :D It's going to be a quiet season with only the league matches and the FA Cup to play in. Should be a good spot to do well in the league and luckily I've started well with three wins in three matches, six goals scored and none conceded.

Even though I finished 6th last season I'm not in the Europa League, not even in the qualification stage. Must have had just the "right" winners in the Capital One Cup and the FA Cup for this to happen. And I'm already out of this seasons C1C after a penalties loss away to L2 Shrewsbury. :D It's going to be a quiet season with only the league matches and the FA Cup to play in. Should be a good spot to do well in the league and luckily I've started well with three wins in three matches, six goals scored and none conceded.

Couple of Qs - are you getting a new stadium? and what do you plan on doing with the players who were out on loan - keeping any of BAE, Livermore, Carroll or Holtby around?

Holy ****... nerve-wracking final day ahead. Could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th!

Screenshot2014-03-15183822_zps123c39fc.png

EDIT:

What a rollercoaster! Occupied 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th at points during the game. 0-0 at half time, 1-0 up, 1-2 down and then smashed two in the last 5 minutes to win 3-2! Finally finished 2nd - the highest we've been all season!

Screenshot2014-03-15185156_zpscf85f2cf.png

Next up - Man City in the Europa League final.

Couple of Qs - are you getting a new stadium? and what do you plan on doing with the players who were out on loan - keeping any of BAE, Livermore, Carroll or Holtby around?

Yeah, the New White Hart Lane is being built. I guess it's hard-coded in?

From those four I've sold BAE (£2.1M/West Ham) and Livermore (£4M/Stoke) and loaned out again Holtby and Carroll. Tried to sell Holtby but the offers were so small that I loaned him instead to Everton (£200K/m). Others I didn't need any more and I've sold are Dawson (£1M/Everton), Falque (£3M/Hull), Chadli (£7.5M/So'ton), Soldado (£4.8M/Napoli) and Adebayor I let go for free to Monaco so I got rid of his £100K/w wage. In came Humam Tariq (£225K), Doria (£12.5M), Antonelli (Free, was on loan last season already), Fierro (£1.6M), Zivkovic (£1.8M) and then I broke the bank buying Januzaj for £25M (£10M + instalments and bonus).

I'm having an odd problem with no european matches and being already out of the C1C.. I'm having a hard time keeping guys match fit and happy with so few matches being played. :D That's part of the reason I let Carroll and Holtby go on loan again. I probably would've kept them at Spurs for rotation normally, but now I thought it was best letting them go on loan again.

Really tempted to re-sign Huddlestone in summer 2014. He'd be my 2nd best defensive midfielder and 3rd best midfielder. Given that Sandro's my best midfielder and I like to play with a Regista it would mean Tommy could play there and Sandro could destroy everything infront of him. Hmm.

Really tempted to re-sign Huddlestone in summer 2014. He'd be my 2nd best defensive midfielder and 3rd best midfielder. Given that Sandro's my best midfielder and I like to play with a Regista it would mean Tommy could play there and Sandro could destroy everything infront of him. Hmm.

Why not, he's got excellent attributes for a Regista role and he's English and a former Spurs player. I'd go for him if I was using a Regista.

Why not, he's got excellent attributes for a Regista role and he's English and a former Spurs player. I'd go for him if I was using a Regista.

Ended up getting Pirlo instead. The king of Regista's. Possibly not as good option as Huddlestone owing to the age but I have a huge soft spot for him (and my other three signings this summer have all been under 20 so I figured he'd bring the average age up!

Ended up getting Pirlo instead. The king of Regista's. Possibly not as good option as Huddlestone owing to the age but I have a huge soft spot for him (and my other three signings this summer have all been under 20 so I figured he'd bring the average age up!

I'm sure Pirlo will be good for a year or two and tutor a few players in the mean time, too, if he adapts well to English football. Huddlestone would've been a more long time player, but I'm sure Pirlo won't let you down.

Just made it to the first of January after starting another Spurs save. I chose to stick with the old database because Tottenham didn't do much business anyway and one of my favourite buys, Alex Telles, had been sold to Galatasaray so I expected not to be able to get him as easily anymore.

In the first transfer window I focused on cheap youngsters and pulled the trigger on three transfers. The aforementioned Leftback Alex Telles for €8,5m , midfielder Lucas Romero for €6,75m and old favourite Spurs transfer target Leandro Damiao for 4,2M. The first two have quickly found their way into the first team rotation. Telles is obviously helped by the lack of a decent alternative and Romero had to provide cover since Dembele has been injured for most of the season so far and actually returned to full training just a couple days before the new year. Damiao picked up a knock himself for a couple months and hasn't made too much of an impact.

I'm a firm believer in rotation so you won't find a favourite XI or tactic from me, although my back four always tends to be two attacking fullbacks, a BPD and a LD with some variation. Other than that the squad seems to lend itself well to playing 4-2-2-2 with Wingers, basically a classic 4-4-2 with more advanced Wingers. I've been loving the fact that Chadli, Townsend, Lennon and Lamela can all play on either wing, giving me a lot of flexibility.

The season so far has been pretty stellar. My first defeat didn't come untill October 21st against Real Sociedad in the Europa League. The first Premier League loss took even longer, but it was a tough one. I lost 2-4 at home against Chelsea on November 23rd, signalling a run of not-so amazing games. I lost more games against Liverpool, Newcastle and then against Southampton at home which kicked me out of the Capital One Cup. I only managed to win 3 out of 8 games during that run and dropped from top position to third. Hopefully things have picked up again as over the busy holiday period I've been undefeated for 4 games again. Fortunate draws in the FA Cup, Middlesbrough, and the Europa League, PAOK, should mean a clean run through to the next couple of rounds. In the Premier League after 19 games I'm currently 3rd with three points behind the 1st with a game in hand on the 1st and 2nd.

The biggest surprise so far has been good old Jermain Defoe, gifting me 14 goals in 16 appearances. Honorable mentions go to Erik Lamela and Soldado with 7 goals, 6 assists and 6 goals, 7 assists respectively, both in 17 appearances. Another fun thing was seeing Arsenal be absolute bottom of the league from week 5 till 10, although they have picked it up somewhat and are currently 10th.

The first business of 2014 has already been done, picking up Matej Vydra on a free transfer when his contract runs out in June. Southampton's Gaston Ramirez is currently transfer listed for €9,75M but I don't really need another ACM so I'd only buy him if someone comes a-knocking for the others and gives a decent offer. Ramirez is definitely someone I rate though, if another club makes an offer for him, I might just join in.

Unless anything major happens, I'll report again when I hit the end of the season. I chose not to add screenshots because I'm lazy and the post was long enough as is, but if anyone wants something specific, I'll deliver.

Just finished the second season in my Berwick save and thought I would give another update on the AI's rule of Spurs. They finished 3rd in the league in 14/15, after winning the previous season. They got all the way to the Champions League semi finals, beating Bayern and Barca along the way (losing to ManU, who won the EPL). Laudrup ended up leaving at the end of the season to go to Bayern, and Malky Mackay was hired as his replacement after taking over for Laudrup at Swansea (I like that little bit of symmetry). Didn't make any signings of note during the season, just some young players.

Just finished the second season in my Berwick save and thought I would give another update on the AI's rule of Spurs. They finished 3rd in the league in 14/15, after winning the previous season. They got all the way to the Champions League semi finals, beating Bayern and Barca along the way (losing to ManU, who won the EPL). Laudrup ended up leaving at the end of the season to go to Bayern, and Malky Mackay was hired as his replacement after taking over for Laudrup at Swansea (I like that little bit of symmetry). Didn't make any signings of note during the season, just some young players.

Sorry if you already said, but is this on the 14.3.0 patch (the new one)?

Is anyone else having a hard time selling players? Players want to go because I seem to have a really good starting 11 and we are out of all comps and they start the majority of the time so Lennon, Wiese (German GK), and Capoue all want to go, but nobody is willing to shell out the cash to buy them.

I must have missed something. Just finished my season and had a bit of a falling off, but managed fourth while Man U won the league by like 10 points clear. Everton finished third and Chelski finished second and Mr. Levy says I will be fired for underperforming.....???? What the hell is that!? We just got CL and he wants to fire me. What a scumbag. He said I should have been trying for the title. I didn't get that when I started the game and now he says this nonsense while several of my players had great years. Really pissed off.

I must have missed something. Just finished my season and had a bit of a falling off, but managed fourth while Man U won the league by like 10 points clear. Everton finished third and Chelski finished second and Mr. Levy says I will be fired for underperforming.....???? What the hell is that!? We just got CL and he wants to fire me. What a scumbag. He said I should have been trying for the title. I didn't get that when I started the game and now he says this nonsense while several of my players had great years. Really pissed off.

Is that in your first season??

Is anyone else having a hard time selling players? Players want to go because I seem to have a really good starting 11 and we are out of all comps and they start the majority of the time so Lennon, Wiese (German GK), and Capoue all want to go, but nobody is willing to shell out the cash to buy them.

This can be really frustrating but I guess it's kinda realistic, maybe. I usually end up shifting everyone I want to over a summer but I have to be patient or accept less than I'd hoped for them. In fact, I'll sometimes have to reassess my whole plans based on what people will or won't pay and it's occasionally worked out well - I'd have definitely sold Sigurdsson, for example, if people had been willing to pay over £10m but they weren't so I didn't, and he's become a really important player for me.

Having said that, it's really annoying to end up with a £60k a week lump sat in the reserves when you know exactly who you'd buy with the money you'd get for them!

Anyone having any joy with Bentaleb and the others in the new patch. I have a save but have had very limited time on it but will be looking to promote from within with Bentaleb,Milos,Kane and Macavoy

I'm half way through season two and Bentaleb is a good rotation option for me and has so far developed his CA to 2.5*. Veljkovic is doing okay on loan at Osasuna and I reckon he'll be first team ready within the next couple of years. Kane isn't progressing too well - he had a poor first season as Soldado's back up for me and is now having a poor second season on loan at Fulham. McEvoy doesn't look like he'll ever be good enough for the first team, unfortunately.

I'm half way through season two and Bentaleb is a good rotation option for me and has so far developed his CA to 2.5*. Veljkovic is doing okay on loan at Osasuna and I reckon he'll be first team ready within the next couple of years. Kane isn't progressing too well - he had a poor first season as Soldado's back up for me and is now having a poor second season on loan at Fulham. McEvoy doesn't look like he'll ever be good enough for the first team, unfortunately.

Same situation in my save, half way into season two. Bentaleb will be good, if not excellent, Veljkovic also. Kane hasn't developed, at least not yet, and McEvoy will probably never be good enough. Even though I had to give McEvoy some playing time in season one 'cause of injuries.

Same situation in my save, half way into season two. Bentaleb will be good, if not excellent, Veljkovic also. Kane hasn't developed, at least not yet, and McEvoy will probably never be good enough. Even though I had to give McEvoy some playing time in season one 'cause of injuries.

It has been a while, but Bentaleb was a good rotation right off the bat in season 1 for me. Velkjovic was showing his potential, and Kane was playing pretty well. McEvoy was so-so, and I probably will dump him in the summer when I pick my save back up.

Gutted! I am going to make it my objective to get the above to their maximum potential!!! Looking to make sure I can get best out of them. I have just signed Gabriel Barbosa in the first transfer window. Want to sign players I haven't signed before. Will try and update as much as possible but time unfortunately is very limited!

Gutted! I am going to make it my objective to get the above to their maximum potential!!! Looking to make sure I can get best out of them. I have just signed Gabriel Barbosa in the first transfer window. Want to sign players I haven't signed before. Will try and update as much as possible but time unfortunately is very limited!

I've just signed Barbosa too. Not managed to get him on the pitch much but he's developing nicely. Should take over from Soldado at some point.

Ya. Got CL and qualified by beating Ath Madrid thank god they didn't have Diego Costa as he is at Chelski. Even still they want me to win 11 points from my first five games and I think I have done and still won't get a contract extension. Brought in solid players like Christian Tello and Alvaro Morata. Sold off some dead weight and just kept it the same from my first season. They want the title I guess, but I'm hoping they will change their toon.

Ya. Got CL and qualified by beating Ath Madrid thank god they didn't have Diego Costa as he is at Chelski. Even still they want me to win 11 points from my first five games and I think I have done and still won't get a contract extension. Brought in solid players like Christian Tello and Alvaro Morata. Sold off some dead weight and just kept it the same from my first season. They want the title I guess, but I'm hoping they will change their toon.

I had the 11-points-from-the-next-5 games demand during my first season on the old patch and was sacked as soon as I couldn't make it, but I was sitting about 9th or 10th at the time.

Did you tell them you'd win the league to get a higher transfer budget or anything? That'd do it. I always take the lowest expectations and budget; there's usually such a tiny difference it's best to keep their expectations low (plus you can usually make up the difference by offering deals over 36 or 48 months).

Hey guys, I thought i'd add my two cents with a successful first season, offering some food for thought for you all. First off, I'm positive I wouldn't have had the success I had without reading many guides found in these forums and this thread as well.

So, after unsuccessfully trying to create my own tactics from scratch, and then unsuccessfully trying to implement plug-and-play downloaded tactics, I thought: hey, why not have both? So I used a combination of tips/tactics and adjusted them to my own players' strengths (and that's the key for me). I can't stress how different a player Sigurdsson has been for me playing as an AMC rather than MC. He has been by far my MVP player:

54.jpg

Of course Soldado has been a goalscoring machine as a Trequartista, but I don't find him as reliable in season 2:

56.jpg

Other great weapons: Eriksen retrained as an AML offered 13 assists in 26 apps

Lamela mainly as an AMR, offering 13 goals and 12 assists in 33 apps - but I'll be using him as a St(Trequartista) season 2

Townsend 7 assists

Kyle Naughton developing a flat bullet throw offered a couple of assists but mainly a goalscoring threat, creating havoc a number of times that resulted in a 'pinball' goal (I think you know what I mean)

So here is my tactics used throughout season 1, winning the league and europa league:

50.jpg

Now I'm no tactics magician as I already implied, feel free to comment, I just tried to have the following two elements in my game: movement and space.

And the standings:

62.jpg

Notable players Out (prices all in Euro): Dembele to PSG (36m), Adebayor to Lazio (8M), Dawson to WBA (6M) and even got 4.1m for McEvoy from Celtic

Notable players In: Kevin Kampl (4.7m), Luke Shaw (31.5m), Phil Jones (18m) and a small number of veteran tutors signed either on loan or for free, who really helped develop my youngsters.

Finally, some comments/tips on the frustration of people who can't get players to be sold:

I found that the best recipe to sell a player is - other than placing a much lower price tag - by regularly playing him. I tried selling Gylfi at the start of the game and couldn't get more than 10m for him, so I thought i'd give him a set of games. His price tag is now 30m and I just rejected a 35m move from Real Madrid at the start of season 2!

Now I know he's an extreme example, but my transfer philosophy is simple and a bit ruthless:

I always try to sell a player 2 years before contract expiry If I am not sure I'll keep him. That's how I got 42m for Vertonghen from PSG season 2. At Vertonghen's age, considering the money I'd spend on agent fees and contract wages, I can get a couple of youth talents that I'll develop into new Vertonghens. But the timing is important. I saw teams starting to get interested and I then transfer-listed him and offered him to clubs, accepting the highest bidder.

I tried to sell Soldado for 20m, knowing he's 29 now and only going to decline later on, but no clubs were interested. So I play him (not so regularly) and I'm positive if he scores regularly, he can attract attention.

Sorry for the messy post, it's my first attempt to offer some thoughts of my own, other posts being questions and suggestions about the game!

Archived