Gundo's FM14 European Adventure Challenge™

My progress with HIFk has been very slow, but I did just manage to beat Trabzonspor 3-2 on aggregate to qualify for the Groups Stages of the Europa League. First time for me in this save and it has done our finances a massive favour!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2014/2015 SEASON REVIEW

2yo3new.jpg

MIKKELIN PALLOILIJAT

Table | Squad | Transfers

Season Review: What a great start to the challenge! We went unbeaten for a number of extended periods over the course of the season and generally played very well. Most of the new transfers performed well and the season was generally injury free, besides a few cases spread over the course of the season. The control based 4-2-2-2 worked really well, as we averaged around 60% possession in most of our matches, and played a safe and steady kind of football. My only disappointment about the season was the early exit in the Finnish Cup.

Board Expectations:

Finnish First Division: Mid table finish

Media Prediction: 9th

Finnish Cup: To be competitive

Key Performers:

Torres: Torres was essential in our success in the league. Made most of the changes he got, and ended up scoring 21 goals. His finishing was generally OK, although it is apparent that he lacks the ability to perform at the next level.

Mika Ahonen: Ahonen mainly played as a ST over the course of the season, but his creativity as a poacher was impressive, as he ended up with 12 assists. He was especially in form over the last stretch.

Miikka Lahdesmaki: Lahdesmaki was our best performer throughout the season. Was phenomenal in creating chances for our strikers as well as scoring himself.

Future Goals:

Revamp squad for the Premier League.

Identify youngsters to develop over the next 5-6 years.

Avoid relegation from the Premier League.

Look to improve training and youth facilities.

Season      Division               Position      Finnish Cup       Top Scorer
2014/2015   First Division         1st           6th Round         Torres (21)

XaW - Veszprém - OTP Bank Liga (Hungary) - 2015/16

After our fantastic promotion last season I had high hopes for our first season in the OTP Bank Liga, Hungary's top tier. I managed to buy our on-loan top scorer from last season Richárd Horváth and everything looked great as the season started with a win against Ferencváros. However, we soon found out the top tier were much harder than last season and we settled towards the bottom of the season. We got a scrappy win here and there, but it looked grim as we went into the winter break. But after the break we found our form and started slowly crawling up the table before we settled in 7th place after the last match. In the end I'm very satisfied with the season, but I believe we could have fought for a place in Europe if our start had been better. Hopefully next season we might have a chance to go to Europe.

The cups didn't go as well as last season, but we still did well enough in one of them. In the Magyar Kupa we were horrible as we lost at the first hurdle against non-league Soroksár in the 3rd round as one of our defender scored a goal for us and two(2!) own goals. The Ligakupa was a bit better as we managed to go through the group stage even though we lost the first match 0-5 at home against a second tier team. We went out in the second round against Ferencváros after a horrible away game.

Financially, we are still losing money. The board have injected quite a lot of cash to keep us floating. The prize money from the league as well as a new sponsor deal are helping a lot, so we are healthy at the moment, but though the season we are losing. Hopefully improved attendances will help out next season.

The best players this season have been:

Attila Osváth - After Horváth didn't deliver at the start I gave this kid a chance and he took it. Scored a lot.

Richárd Horváth - Didn't score as a striker, but performed great as an attacking midfielder.

Tamás Hevesi Tóth - A fantastic season from our right winger.

Ryan Crump - Not many clean sheets, but he did great even though we have a rather weak defense.

Season   |      League     | Position  |     Europe    |      Top scorer        
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15  |        NBII     |   1st     |     N/A       |  Richárd Horváth (19)
2015/16  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   7th     |     N/A       |  Attila Osváth (18)

XaW - Veszprém - OTP Bank Liga (Hungary) - 2016/17

During the off-season I managed to offload a lot of players who clearly weren't cut out for the top tier. I also managed to bring in a couple of good players to fill the gaps. Still, the season started quite grim as we struggled to score and conceded way too many goals. After grinding out a couple of wins we found ourselves comfortable mid-table through most of the season. Towards the end we went on a small streak and managed to climb quite a bit. We slipped up in the last games and lost our shot for a top 3, but just only. Overall it was still a great season for us.

Once again we did well in the cups. In the Magyar Kupa we started with a comfortable win against non-league Felsőtarkány in the 3rd round. After winning on pens against Paks in the 4th round we beat Újpest on away goals in the 5th round to qualify for the quarter finals. There we were up against non-league Kazincbarcika and beat them easily. In the semis we thumped Paks 5-0 away in the first leg almost guaranteeing our spot in the final, before beating them 3-2 at home as well. In the final we found ourselves facing second tier club Honvéd whom we beat rather easy 5-2 to be crowned winners. This also gave us a spot in Europe next season where we start in the second qualifying round. In the Ligakupa we easily got through the group stage ahead of Békéscsaba, Ajka and Szolnoki MÁV. In the 2nd round we beat Szigetszentmiklós before losing to Ferencváros in the quarter finals.

Financially, we are still losing money. The board are still injecting cash to keep us floating, but the cash for winning the cup and our final position in the league helped out a lot. Hopefully we will get some cash for competing in Europe next season to improve our finances. The board have, of course, reject every request I have made due to our horrible cash flow, so I hope we can turn this part around during the next seasons.

Richárd Horváth - A fantastic season for the striker. Both scored and assisted a lot. Part of the team of the year.

Tamás Hevesi Tóth - Our coaches rate him as one I should get rid of, but he delivers almost every game. Great season.

Ryan Crump - A good season from our best goalkeeper.

Cesar Vasquez - He came in late in the season, but did amazing as soon as he played.

Youth Prospects:

Dániel Dudás - Promising goalkeeper and our second choice. Got some matches this season due to injuries.

István Kovács - A great talent who got a few matches for us before suffering a bad injury. Hopefully, it haven't hampered his talent.

Zoltán Horváth - Promising midfielder I have high hopes for.

All of the prospects have come from our own academy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   4th     |     N/A       |  Richárd Horváth (25)

XaW - you are making excellent progress! Do you have any chance of a good campaign in Europe?

Thanks, things are going much better than expected so far. My stint in Europe are already finished, but I think I got as far as I could. Lazio in the play-off for the group stage was too hard for us. I'm still happy as I got past the 2nd and 3rd qualifying round. Hopefully we can get into Europe next season as well.

Definitely did well to get so far in your first attempt. I only managed to get to the group stages on my fourth attempt, but have just beaten Bordeaux 2-0 at home, which was excellent. We have a small chance of making it out of the group, but we would need to get a point at Atletico Madrid and beat Anji at home I think. Probably to big of an ask.

jezzar - great first season! How do you think your first season in the top flight will go?

Thanks dude!

Looking at the squads, I fully believe that we can stay up, but anything better than a mid table finish would be an unrealistic goal. I will post a preseason update shortly!

Just had a takeover from a local businessman, "no new investments" "a loan have been taken up to cover the takeover" "we thank you for your patience". Blah, the same old story, no more cash and a loan to top it of.

XaW - Veszprém - OTP Bank Liga (Hungary) - 2017/18

Before the season I got rid of the last deadweight that has been hanging around and we also got in some very talented players. The season started alright, but we only got better as we went along. While Videoton ran away early and had a lead of more than 10 points at one time we clawed our way towards the top. With 2 matches left in the season we found ourselves only a single point behind them. Unfortunately we only manged a loss and a draw while they won one of their matches and we finished in 2nd place. This was way better than I had hoped and I'm very satisfied we could challenge for the tile this season. Hopefully we can show the same spirit next season and challenge once again. We are also going to Europe next season for the second time, hopefully we can do well there again.

We are showing season after season we can count going far in the cups. This year was no different as we did well in all of them. Before the season started we had Community Shield-like supercup against the league winner and we managed to win the Szuperkupa 2-1 against Győr. In the Magyar Kupa we beat Dunaújváros in the 4th round before getting past Szolnoki MÁV in the 5th. We got past Győr in the quarter finals before losing to Videoton in the semis. Almost another final, but I'm still happy about our run. The Ligakupa went even better for us though. In the group stage we placed 1st before Újpest, ESMTK and Nyíregyháza. Debrecen got beat in the 2nd round before we knocked out Újpest in the quarter finals. We finally won against Videoton in the semis after crushing them 5-2 away in the first leg. Our final opponent turned out to be Paks. We once again showed our goalscoring ability and won it 5-2. Our second cup trophy this season.

This season we also had our first stint in Europe and the Europa League. We started in the 2nd qualifying round against Dinamo Tbilisi of Georgia. Two big win later we were through. In the 3rd qualifying round we got drawn against Jablonec of The Czech Republic. After a 1-2 loss away and a 2-1 win at home it went to pens. We managed to keep our cool and got through to the play-off for the group stage. Here we got drawn against Italians Lazio, a very hard opponent. We lost 2-4 away before we managed to win 1-0 at home. It was very close for us, but I'm still delighted with how we played and how far we got.

Financially, we are still losing money, but not as bad as the previous season. The screenshot are kind of wrong as we just got our sponsorships for the next season. I did make the call of using it for upgrading our training and youth facilities though and that have also been drawn from the accounts. Hopefully we can do well in Europe to bolster the coffers.

Alexander García - Our best striker and top scorer. A bit injury prone, but still a fantastic player.

Paul Florea - Brought this kid in for the future, but he got a match due to injuries. He scored a hattrick as a midfielder and just kept on scoring throughout the season. A fantastic season.

Robbie Cotton - Versatile player, but played mostly on the right wing. A great season from the Englishman.

Ryan Crump - Goalkeeper of the Year in Hungary and our number 1.

2017/18  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   2nd     |  EL play-off  |  Alexander García (33)

Another excellent season XaW. I really like the look of Alexander Garcia, it seems like you can find some excellent players in Central America.

Howe are the foreign quota rules in Hungary? I see you have quite a lot of Hungarians in your squad still. The rules are pretty relaxed in Finland, and because there is a real lack of quality in Finnish players I tend to look from abroad, mainly Denmark and Sweden.

Another excellent season XaW. I really like the look of Alexander Garcia, it seems like you can find some excellent players in Central America.

Howe are the foreign quota rules in Hungary? I see you have quite a lot of Hungarians in your squad still. The rules are pretty relaxed in Finland, and because there is a real lack of quality in Finnish players I tend to look from abroad, mainly Denmark and Sweden.

Garcia is fantastic. Other clubs have begun hovering around him, but I think I can keep him. His agent actually pitched him to me, but I'm allowed to scout anywhere so I've sent a couple of scouts overseas to see what they can find.

The foreign rules are quite relaxed for some continents but not all. I'm allowed anything I want in the squad, but I can only field 5 non-EU players for each match, but loads of countries count as EU. The whole of Africa, Russia, Ukraine and everyone else you can see here. So I need to keep the Americans (South, Central and North) to a minimum.

I try to keep as many Hungarians as possible in my squad as an extra challenge for myself. When I, hopefully, become the dominant Hungarian team and make more money I'm going to try to build my academy up and hopefully get a lot of players from there.

129129.png

HIFK - 2020 Veikkausliiga

Veikkausliiga

Media Prediction: 2nd

Board Expectation: Challenge for the Title

My Target: Challenge for the Title

League Table: 1st ǁ Position Graph

We didn't start as well this season, but still had finished some distance ahead of the chasing pack, winning the title with 4 games to go.

Suomen Cup

Fixtures

This time we did it the hard(er) way, only playing top tier opposition until the final and beating Honka 2-1 after extra time in the final.

Veikkausliiga Liigacup

Group Stage ǁ Knock-Out Stages

The only domestic title to elude us, this time we were knocked out in the semi final.

Champions League / Europa League

Fixtures ǁ Europa League Group Stage

This year we had quite a few European matches, and our first proper compaign in Europe. In the Champions League we knocked out Elfsborg comfortably before being knocked out by Dinamo Zagreb in the Third Quaifying Round. We should have taken a lead from our home game, but they were a lot better in Zagreb.

When we were drawn against Trabzonspor in the Europa League Playoff I was not too optimistic. But we were able to draw away and beat them at home to make it to a Group Stage for the first time. Atlético Madrid, Bordeux and Anji is not exactly what I wanted. But I was pleased we were not the whipping boys of the group. Heavy defeats against Atlético and Bordeaux away were compensated by a double over Anji and our best result: a 2-0 at home against Bordeaux. In the end it was only our aggregate result against Bordeuax which knocked us out. As a result of this Finalnd moved, from 28th to 21st in the coefficients. It doesn't get us any extra places but is a significant improvement.

HIFK

Transfers ǁ Squad - Defence ǁ Squad - Attack

Finances were a lot better this year, but I still didn't splash out on players. The loan signing of Coquinho from Santos was especially good for the latter parts of the season. I still haven't been able to find an excellent right back though, after März's departure.

Key Players

Ulan Konysbaev: Another good season by Ulan, was elected Fan's Player of the Year.

Heikki Lindholm: He was only supposed to be a back-up player, but with injuries to the other strikers I gave him quite a lot of games and he delivered.

Joonas Jokinen: Prolific this season, even though he gets injured too much.

Kim Demir: Even though I managed to keep Berglund, Kim Demir started improving a lot after spending a couple of seasons as a but player. Is my first choice AMC now.

Other News

Finances – The European money has been awesome, if we keep getting to a Group Stage in Europe our money worries will be eased.

Next Season Targets

1. Retain the title.

2. Reach an European Group Stage.

3. Start signing young players to comply with HG rules, failed to do so last year.

I think that domestically we are starting to dominate now, so our focus has to be in Europe. Reaching the Group Stages will be vital for our finances and the nations coefficients.

Career Overview

Season     League          Pos       Suomen Cup          Liigacup        Europe           Other Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014       Ykkönen         6th       Seventh Round       N/A             N/A              N/A
2015       Ykkönen         3rd       Fourth Round        N/A             N/A              N/A
2016       Ykkönen         4th       Fourth Round        N/A             N/A              N/A
2017       Ykkönen         1st       Winners             N/A             N/A              Promotion and EL Qualification
2018       Veikkausliiga   2nd       Semi-Final          Semi-Final      EL 2nd Qual.     EL Qualification
2019       Veikkausliiga   1st       Winners             Runners Up      EL 3rd Qual.     Double and CL Qualification
2020       Veikkausliiga   1st       Winners             Semi-Final      EL Group Stage   Double and CL Qualification

Maybe, with a but of luck in the draw we could do it. I am actually quite a bit into the season already, have just beaten Jeunesse Eschen or something like that 14-0 on aggregate in the Second Qualifying Round. Am playing Elfsborg, who we beat last year, in the next round. Fancy us to go through that and then there is one more to go...

EDIT: Got through against Elfsborg 6-3 on aggregate and BATE are the last hurdle before the group stages. Think we have a decent chance!

Screenshot2014-07-20at101536PM_zpsc8fbd0f9.png

Alright, since it looks like the Belarus challenge hasn't been completed (that we know of, at least in the past 6 editions) I'm going to give it a try.

After simulating about 10 tries and the same two teams getting promoting every single one, I went with FC Baranovichi. No trophies to their name, never in the top flight.

As a curious note, the Wikipedia entry for this team lists all the times this club has changed names:

It is believed that was established in 1945 under the name "Lokomotiv". Performed under the names:

1945 - Lokomotiv

1946 i / h "Baranovichi"

1947-1949 - "Dinamo"

1950-1952 - "Lokomotiv"

1953-1956 - "Pishevik"

1957-1959 - "Baranovichi"

1960 - "Kombinat"

1961 - "Lokomotiv"

1962 - "Salute"

1963-1964 - "Lokomotiv"

1965-1967 - "Tekstilshchik"

1968 - "Lokomotiv"

In the 1969-1972 year in the championship BSSR simultaneously acted Baranavichy two commands: "Locomotive" and "Tekstilshchik

1973-1984 - "Lokomotiv"

1985-1989 - "Tekstilshchik"

1990 - "Baranovichi"

1991 - "Khimik"

1993 - "Tekstilshchik"

1993-1995 - "Metapol"

1995–present - "Baranovichi"

Todd Margaret (his father is from Leeds but he's a Spaniard)

The Squad - At least we have players!

Our best player

Finances - Could be worst, at least we're in the black for now

The league - Top two get promoted, third one to playoffs, last two, relegated. We're predicted 15th of 16.

Top Belarusian teams (by European coefficients):

BATE Borisov - 61st in Europe

Gomel - 235th

Dinamo Minsk - 236th

Dnepr - 249th

Shakhter Soligorsk - 255th

Country's reputation (by FIFA points): 70th in Europe

League's reputation: 32nd (2.5 stars) in reputation, 20th in coefficients (1 UCL + 3 EL spots)

Off we go!

Hope you go through, corinthiano!

Good luck in Belarus, Twellman24. I tried it some years ago, but the restrictions of foreigners in the top flight put me off. I got a sugar daddy takeover in the 2nd/3rd season and soon ruled the domestic scene, but failed in Europe since I could only have 3 non-Belarussian players in my squad (IIRC). I think I had a transfer budget of £10M, but the most expensive player that was interested in joining costed about £50k.

Just got offered the Ferencváros job. Declined of course.

I've had a few job offers myself, mainly from clubs in the same division; the highest reputation being Bodø/Glimt.

Twellman24, good luck in Belarus!

HIFK did it! We beat BATE easily and are through to the Group Stages! Tottenham, Galatasaray and Ajax will be our opposition. Looks weak on paper, but Tottenham have won the Europa League 3 times since the save began and Galatasaray lost last years CL final on penalties to Barcelona. Will be delighted if we nick a couple of draws, but just happy with the ridiculous cash we got going through.

staaljorpeland_zpsac994bea.png

Staal Jørpeland IL 2021 Adecco Season Review

Difficult season this year in Jørpeland and at no stage did we threaten to surpass our previous seasons achievements of making the play-offs. The first half of the campaign went better than the second half; were it went disastrously bad. Heavy defeat after heavy defeat and red cards left right and centre. And we actually set a record of 7 straight defeats towards the end of the season. Our cup form continues to be very poor, as again we faced an early exit (2-4) at the hands of Vindbjart.

League

Squad

Kjetill Hansen

Fairly unspectacular in the middle of the park, sad times; especially after the early career promise he had shown. Also this was the first season he's failed to score in a game in seven years here.

Kenneth Småge

Wasn't really a regular starter this season, but still put in the odd good game and grabbed a few vital goals too.

Gøren Andreassen

Was beaten to top scorer by Christensson and overall no where near as good as he was last term.

Stefan Bjerke Christensson

Another very solid season for this talented number ten.

Next season; Mid-table safety again... Being unable to find better players than we already have is frustrating. A few decent youngsters have just been promoted, so I plan to use some of them next season.

Season    League            Position  Norwegian Cup         Achievements       Europe     Top Scorer
  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   
2014   Second Division (3) 7th     2nd rd.           -                  N/A       (12)[i] Erik Jøssang[/i]  [color=#000000]
2015   Second Division (3) 6th      1st rd.           -                  N/A       (13)[i] Arne Dalehaug[/i][/color]  
[color=#000000]2016   Second Division (3) 2nd      2nt rd.           -                  N/A       (12)[i] Arne Dalehaug [/i][/color][color=#000000]
2017   Second Division (3) 5th      2nt rd.           -                  N/A       (15)[i] Stian Sleveland [/i][/color][color=#000000]
2018   Second Division (3) 2nd      2nt rd.           -                  N/A       (11)[i] Stian Sleveland [/i][/color][color=#000000]
2019   Second Division (3) 1st      1st rd.        Promotion!          N/A       (11)[/color][color=#000000] Kenneth Småge/[/color]Kjetill Hansen [color=#000000]
2020   Adeccoligaen         6th      1st rd.        Play-Off defeat     N/A       (11) [/color][color=#000000]G[/color][color=#000000][size=2][color=#000000]ø[/color][/size][color=#000000]ren Andreassen
2021   Adeccoligaen         10th[/color][/color]     2nd rd.            -                   N/A        (10) Christensson

How can you stop big clubs poaching your best youth players?

Still part time club.

I don't have any problems with it in Hungary, but I started as a pro club.

I don't have any problems with it in Hungary, but I started as a pro club.
Think that's the problem, because we are still semi-pro bigger clubs can poach at will. It's pointless me making any effort with youth side of it until we've gone pro.Unless I'm missing something? I've not really had a problem until now.

I don't know if I do anything different than you, but I usually sign the youth players as youngsters or hot prospect (depending on how likely I feel them to succeed) and give them a propper contract as soon as they are old enough with the same status. But, as you stated, it might just be down to the pro/semi-pro part of things. I would assume youngsters would like to get pro contracts over semi-pro, so that would be "realistic" however annoying.

I don't think any of the clubs in Adeccoliagen are part time in real life though, so you should become soon (depending on your cash flow).

130px-Veszpr%C3%A9m_FC.png

Veszprém FC 2028-29 Season Review

The League

A really exciting league that went to the last day of the season. Videoton pushed us very hard and after losing to Ferencvaros in the penultimate game of the season (and our only loss of the season), we went into the final game level on points with Vidi and knowing a draw would be satisfactory given our superior goal difference. We stormed into a 2-0 lead, before seeing it completely eradicated and being 3-2 down. On comes Mihaly Gellei as a sub and he scores the equaliser with 10 minutes to go. The most amazing finish to a season ever.

Final Table

The Cups

In the second pot of seeds and we cruised through our group after a famous win against Man City. We easily got past Juventus before a narrow defeat to PSG. PROGRESS AT LAST. The Magyar Cup was no problem and our youth team got all the way to the final of the Ligakupa before an unlucky defeat in the final.

Domestic Cups

Europe

The Future

It was nice being challenged by Videoton for the league, but I really must be concentrating on the Champions League. Another QF at least required to continue the boost to my and Hungary's coeff.

History

2014-15 NB II - 3rd

2015-16 NB II - 1st

2016-17 OTP Bank Liga - 9th

2017-18 OTP Bank Liga - 5th, Magyar Kupa Finalists

2018-19 OTP Bank Liga - 3rd, Magyar Kupa Winners

2019-20 OTP Bank Liga - 3rd, Magyar Kupa Winners

2020-21 OTP Bank Liga - 1st, Magyar Kupa Winners

2021-22 OTP Bank Liga - 2nd

2022-23 OTP Bank Liga - 1st, Magyar Kupa Winners, Europa League Semi-Finalists

2023-24 OTP Bank Liga - 2nd, Champions League 1st Knockout round

2024-25 OTP Bank Liga - 1st

2025-26 OTP Bank Liga - 1st, Europa League Winners

2026-27 OTP Bank Liga - 1st, Magyar Kupa Winners, Liga Kupa Winners

2027-28 OTP Bank Liga - 1st, Magyar Kupa Winners, Liga Kupa Winners

2028-29 OTP Bank Liga - 1st, Magyar Kupa Winners, Champions League Quarter-Finals

I don't know if I do anything different than you, but I usually sign the youth players as youngsters or hot prospect (depending on how likely I feel them to succeed) and give them a propper contract as soon as they are old enough with the same status. But, as you stated, it might just be down to the pro/semi-pro part of things. I would assume youngsters would like to get pro contracts over semi-pro, so that would be "realistic" however annoying.I don't think any of the clubs in Adeccoliagen are part time in real life though, so you should become soon (depending on your cash flow).
Yeah think that's my main aim to turn pro now ASAP.

How can you stop big clubs poaching your best youth players?

Still part time club.

Dont think you can do much about it, i quote silly prices to try to get rid of them but they often pinch them anyway. Its annoying to see scottish clubs do this in N Ireland and then not play them so i get no money from them.

Perhaps a small change of personel will help improve your fortunes, different personalities can make a difference sometimes rather than better players, especially if you can't attract them.

Shame about the undersoil heating, do you really need it? Even if matches get rearranged, surely the calender isn't that crowded that it matters much.

Dont think you can do much about it, i quote silly prices to try to get rid of them but they often pinch them anyway. Its annoying to see scottish clubs do this in N Ireland and then not play them so i get no money from them.Perhaps a small change of personel will help improve your fortunes, different personalities can make a difference sometimes rather than better players, especially if you can't attract them.Shame about the undersoil heating, do you really need it? Even if matches get rearranged, surely the calender isn't that crowded that it matters much.
Funny you should say that about personalities, I have been focusing on them a lot when recruiting for the up coming season and hopefully that will help.Didn't need the under soil heating, this is what frustrated me more. They might have well put the money towards us turning pro.

I think if we are capable things will have to fall into place. There are a core of teams who are just a lot better than us.

Videoton have had a disaster season this year, they made the Europa semis but are in 12th place in the league a whole 42 points behind us. Basically they've hit the wall we were at when we were first getting competitive in Europe' but have massively fallen off the wagon and won't qualify this season.

Which, incidentally makes me super fear them next season.

XaW - Veszprém - OTP Bank Liga (Hungary) - 2018/19

After last years 2nd place I had high hopes for this season. We started the season a bit wobbly, with a couple of win and a couple of losses before we found our form. This started a great run of 15 league matches unbeaten and we found ourselves challenging for the top of the table. Debrecen had gotten an early lead on the rest of the pack, but we managed to catch up. At one point we had a 10 point lead, but a few losses and Debrecen were right on our heels. Before the penultimate game we were 2 points ahead of them, somehow they lost against one of the already relegated teams while we won our game to make the title ours. A fantastic season for us and I'm proud of the achievement.

In the cups we once again got quite far. In the Magyar Kupa we started by beating Baktalórántháza in the 4th round before beating Diósgyőr in the 5th. After beating Videoton in the quarter final we lost against Győr in the semis. The group stage in the Ligakupa was easy as usual and we finished 1st in the group above Pécs, Ajka and Tatabánya. In the second round we beat Haladás before we got a win over Pécs in the quarter final. We lost out in the semis to Videoton to end our domestic cup run.

We had another try in Europe and Europa League this season. We started in the 1st qualifying round were we got past Maltese Sliema Wanderers after a fantastic 10-0 victory at home! In the 2nd qualifying round we managed to beat Swedish AIK before getting past Polish Lech Poznan. Our final obstacle before the group stage turned out to be Tottenham. We did great in the away leg, only losing 2-3, but we couldn't keep our composure and lost 0-4 at home. Still, a great run for us, and as we continue to win some matches we might get easier opposition next time.

Financially, we are once again losing money, but we are still getting better.

Richárd Horváth - A fantastic season, 37 goals and 33 assists is just amazing.

Paul Florea - Another great season from the youngster.

Benjamin Van der Ackerveken - Our best defender and a threat at corners as evident by his 12 goals this season.

Robbie Cotton - Great season from our right winger.

Promising youth prospects:

Győrgy Császár - Even though I can never pronounce his name, he is a great talent. Got his debut and even scored.

András Barics - Talented right winger.

2017/18  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   2nd     |  EL play-off  |  Alexander García (33)
2018/19  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   1st     |  EL play-off  |  Richárd Horváth (37)

Christ, 70 pts+ already? wait until Europe mangles your fixture list I guess

Yeah, I had a great season. Surprised I won the league already, but I'm not complaining! :cool:

XaW - Veszprém - OTP Bank Liga (Hungary) - 2019/20

As the raining champions I didn't see much need to change up the squad a lot. I did get rid of some dead weight, and brought in a couple of players it was mostly to bolster the squad. The season started great and we remained unbeaten the first 12 matches and remained top for most of the season. After some fixture congestion due to cups we fell a couple of spots, but when we caught up we still had a decent lead. In the end we managed to hold on to get our second league title.

We have been close to a domestic cup title the last years, and I wanted another title this season. In the Magyar Kupa we started out in the 4th round by beating non-league Dorog, before getting past Ferencváros in the 5th round. Debrecen got beat in the quarter final before non-league Csákvár were beat in the semis to give us another final. Our opponent turned out to be Videoton. We showed a horrible display and rightfully lost 0-2. Close, but no sigar. In the Ligakupa we easily got past the group stage beating Haladás, Csepel and Szigetszentmiklós. Pécs got beating the second round before we lost to Újpest in the quarter final after a horrible home game.

We had our first try in the Champions League this season. Our first outing was in the 2nd qualifying round were we met Croatian club Dinamo. We beat them rather easily before moving to the 3rd qualifying round. Here our opponent were another Dinamo, this time Georgian team Dinamo Tbilisi whom we also beat to go to the play-off. Our opponent here turned out to be Austrian Red Bull Salzburg. After a 4-3 loss away we had a good shot at home and managed to hold on to a 3-1 victory to progress to the group stage. We got a very tough group when we were drawn together with Lyon of France, Milan of Italy and Bayern of Germany. We started with 4 straight losses and I didn't expect any points, but in the 5th game we managed a 2-2 draw at home to Lyon and our first point in Europe. The last game of the group stage was away to Milan who also were out of the race for the next stage. I don't quite know how it happened, but we managed to win 4-2 after they had to finish the match with 9 players. They got an early red card and had used up all their subs just after half time when they got another injury. We were down 0-1 at that point, but saw our chance and slotted in 4 quick goals before they got a conciliation goal just before the finish. When the match were finished I took a look at the table and were shocked to see we were 3rd. Our win against Milan had put us ahead of them and we were going to the Europa League knockout rounds. We got drawn against Dutch PSV and got a propper beating in both games, but it was still a great European campaign.

Financially, we are better than ever. The massive amounts of cash I got from the Champions League group stage and the TV-money has put us solid in the black. I've gotten the board to improve our training and youth facilities and gotten some better youth recruitment, but they still won't touch our 4000 standing only stadium.

Paul Florea - An amazing season as his average rating of 7.70 (in all competitions) shows. Scored and assisted a bunch. Did have a serious injury, but most of it was during the winter break.

Richárd Horváth - Didn't score as much this season, but still a great season.

Alexander García - Had a great season and scored a bunch before he got a torn calf muscle towards the end of the season.

Pavel Bondarev - Our Russian left winger finally showed his qualities this season and got rewarded with a cap for his nation.

Promising youth prospects:

Győrgy Császár - Came through the youth academy last season. Got involved a lot with the main team this season and did great. Was awarded Hungarian Young Player of the Year after the season.

2014/15  |        NBII     |   1st     |     N/A        |  Richárd Horváth (19)
2015/16  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   7th     |     N/A        |  Attila Osváth (18)
2016/17  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   4th     |     N/A        |  Richárd Horváth (25)
2017/18  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   2nd     |  EL play-off   |  Alexander García (33)
2018/19  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   1st     |  EL play-off   |  Richárd Horváth (37)
2019/20  |  OTP Bank Liga  |   1st     |CL grp/EL 1st KO|  Alexander García (35)

Another great season Xaw. You certainly have plenty of goals in the team with the impressive García and Horváth.:thup:

Thanks, it was a great season. Both Horváth and García have done great, but it's been Florea who has been pulling the strings in my team. I think he is one of the last 3 players involved in just about everyone of our goals.

Countries not completed since FM08 (but almost certainly were completed on FM07 or earlier)- Netherlands, Ukraine, Denmark, Croatia, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Belarus, Finland

For the info of the topic starter: in Holland relegation/promotion from/to our 2nd division (the Jupiler League) has only been possible since the 2012/'13 season. So considering all the rules it'd be impossible to complete it here. Though of course the bottom line was FC Oss, which actually is a Dutch team, but they'd been in the Jupiler League for years before :p

Archived