The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck in Italy! What you did in Norway was pretty amazing!

Can I ask, how do you play the actual matches? Usually takes me an age to progress so many seasons into the game.

Cheers fella, Norway was arguably my greatest achievement on FM.

Yeah, me too. I started this thread in August 2013, and 14 months later I'm only in 2028... so I've not really flown through, to be fair!

Well this is gonna be interesting. Have fun with Milan. :)

And as a fellow manager in Serie A, be nice to Roma. :D

Cheers, man. Looking forward to getting stuck into it over the next few days. Interestingly, I've scouted Bodo/Glimt already in case I can tempt some of my former star men, but most see Milan as a step down!

• 3 months later...

So Milan never really happened. Why? Because I had a longing to go back to Norway (I knew I should have just saved it at Milan rather than starting a new file to keep me going, but there you go.) I felt I still had work to do as I set out to become "the biggest club in the world" when I started this thread. Guess what?

2031_ranking.png

Nearly there, and with a Champions League semi final appearance to come. As for the domestic stuff:

League_and_cup_ranking_2031.png

Quite pleased to get two of them into the top 10...

I've just read through this entire thread, and I just have to say, amazing job. Well done.

Cheers, Keef. The game has been a lot of fun, although it has kind of ruined me for other saves... I keep coming back to this team no matter what else I start!

(A little bit of journalism practice for me...)

Breaking news

Saturday 31st May 2031

Just hours after leading his club Bodø/Glimt to their 9th Champions League title, Johan Andersen has resigned from his position as manager.

The Dane, 51, is thought to have been considering his options for some time as he sought a new challenge, and indeed very nearly joined AC Milan two seasons ago. His resignation has shocked the board at the Glimt, although Andersen leaves with their blessing after transforming the club in his near-two decade stint at the helm.

Andersen is keen to get straight back into football, and his availability is thought to interest clubs in both Italy and Germany. However, sources close to Andersen suggest he is keen to remain in Scandinavia, although he will never manage another club in Norway. That could be music to the ears of the chairmen of his boyhood club Brøndby IF or Nordsjælland of the Danish Superliga, both of whom are currently searching for new managers, especially as Andersen is prepared to take a huge pay-cut for the right challenge.

Andersen took over Bodø/Glimt in December 2012 as a second tier minnow in Norway and turned them into one of the biggest clubs in Europe. He won 35 major trophies in his time in Norway, including 15 league championships.

I'm intrigued.

Hopefully I can retain your interest. I set out to make a Scandinavian club the biggest club in the world and just about did it, so now I'm aiming to do it again with a second Scandinavian side. I'm hoping that breaks my current FM malaise.

529px-FC_Nordsjaelland.svg.png

FC Nordsjælland

(From a combination of wiki and FM)

Football Club Nordsjælland is a professional Danish football team from the North Zealand town of Farum, Denmark. Founded as Farum Boldklub from the merger of the town's two football clubs Farum IK and Stavnsholt BK in 1991, the club changed its name to F.C. Nordsjælland in 2003.

FCN plays in the Danish Superliga, and have won 4 league titles and 4 Landspokalturneringens (Danish Cups). Their most recent trophy came last season, beating Vejle Kolding 3-0 in the cup final. They also won three league titles between 2022 and 2027.

The club play their football at the 34,564 all-seater FC Nordsjælland Stadium, built in 2025. They have top training and youth facilities, with excellent junior coaching and established youth recruitment.

Last season the club finished 5th in the Superliga, and enjoyed average attendances of more than 27,000.

So my ambition here folks is pretty simple: I'm aiming to topple my old club as the "big dog" of Scandinavian football, and then take their place at the top table of European football. I'm starting from a better position than I did at Bodo, what with the club's great facilities and stadium, but it should still be a decent challenge at a club that has never really achieved anything historically.

Also, there's no going back this time. I've saved over the old file to ensure I'm not tempted again... it's a bit like deleting an old girlfriend's number from your phone, just to be sure...

FC Nordsjælland - season preview 2031/32

Media expectation: 3rd

Board expectation: qualify for Europe

Transfer budget (remaining): £0

Wage budget: £166,000p/w (£1,500p/w under budget)

I'm already enjoying my move to Denmark, this feels like the right club for me, and although my squad still needs a bit of work I'm quite hopeful we can be competitive over the course of the season. It's worth remembering that the squad when I arrived had led the club to 5th last season and the Danish Cup, so there was a good nucleus already here. Arguably my best two players on arrival were these two:

Ahmed%20Farouk.png

Djukic.png

There was also a fair amount of talent in the youth team squad, and as one of the terms of my contract is to give youth a chance, I've promoted all of the 4 star players up to the first team for this season. We were still short of numbers though so I've had a busy few weeks, and as the season started just five weeks after I arrived, I had to do it quickly. Here's our transfer business so far:

transfers_summer_31.png

Lots of work done as you can see, with two players leaving for more than a million simply because they were into the final 12 months of their contract, and they wanted silly money. Losing Djukic didn't go down well as he had scored 68 goals in three seasons at the club, but I simply couldn't afford the £30,000p/w he wanted to stay. I'm generally quite content with the outward business we have done, although I am considering ways to cut our wage bill before the winter, which will allow me to pick up some Bosman signings for next season.

Key transfers in

(I don't appear to be able to link these so I'll just talk about them)

Andre Serritslev is a 20 year old Danish right-back, who I suspect will become first choice over the season. He's rated four stars by all of our coaching team, and he has plenty of potential to grow too

Athonasioas Psomadis is a teenage right winger from Germany, and is another I expect to break into the side as the season goes on.

Aleksander Simmons was originally brought in on loan as en emergency fill for our left back spot. He impressed though, and I had no hesitation paying the £750,000 Lillestrom required for his services.

Antonio Carvalho is a player I have high-hopes for. He's a top-class striker, but I expect him to need a bit of time to settle before we get the best out of him.

Pavel Kolar comes in to add an extra body in midfield, but can also play as a central defender if necessary. I do like a utility man or two, and the Czech clearly fits that bill.

Colin Collins is a keeper I'm delighted with, although I was only looking for a number 2 when I found him. The signing of the Irishman allowed our second choice to leave for a cool half-million of Viborg. A good deal.

Right, onto the season.

Nordsjaelland seem a decent club to go to, I hope to have a go as them at one point when I have enough of my current save so good luck, you did a fantastic job Bodo so hopefully you can make another super club in Denmark :thup:

A very different club now with the new stadium, especially as the old one was just an 11,000 place. All the facilities are now spot on as well, so all I need to worry about is the squad. I'm expecting to be busy in January lining up some Bosman deals for next year, but so far it just feels like the right club.

July and August

SL: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 Viborg

A solid display in my first competitive game, and victory secured thanks to a double from striker Jens Martin Blomberg, a half time substitute.

SL: Vejle-Kolding Boldklub 2-4 FC Nordsjælland

A little too open for my liking, but I'm happy with the points. Blomberg got another double, while Ahmed Farouk and club captain Casper Skov also found the target.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 SønderjyskE

This was a routine win, although it was spoiled somewhat by an injury to key midfielder and Denmark international Kim Jensen. He's likely to be out until after the winter break with a torn hamstring. 19 year old defender Robert Jorgensen and Casper Skov the goals.

SL: Brøndby IF 0-1 FC Nordsjælland

The score really doesn't tell the story here. Brøndby dominated from start to finish, but they fell asleep in the 86th minute and Ahmed Farouk punished them on the counter.

SL: F.C. København 0-1 FC Nordsjælland

A complete repeat of the previous game, only this time it was Skov who won it in the last 10 minutes.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 3-2 FC Midtjylland

This was a very different type of match as I made three or four changes to see how the younger players got on. All of our back four for this game were 20 and under, which I think cost us a couple of goals. Still, it was good to get the points thanks to another double from Blomberg and Carvalho's first for the club. Sadly however, Blomberg also tore his hamstring, so he's out for 4 months too. Really unfortunate after scoring 6 in 6.

Europa League Play Off 1st leg: SV Ried 1-4 FC Nordsjælland

I was quite pleased with a trip to Austria in the play off round, and we were excellent. Skov scored a superb hat-trick, while Farouk also banged in a "worldy" from 30 yards.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 1-1 OB

The cup winners (us) against the champions, and both sides look pretty well matched. Skov fired us in front early on but we couldn't add to it, and then inevitably conceded late on thanks to an OG from young defender Younes Tran. On his debut. In stoppage time :(

Europa League Play Off 2nd Leg: FC Nordsjælland 2-1 SV Ried

We'd done the hard work in the first leg, but Carvalho and winger Heine Sorensen completed the job in front of a sell-out crowd. While I'm obviously happy to go through, I have serious concerns over the depth of my squad, so it will be interesting to see if we can keep up our solid league form.

EL_draw_Group_31_32.png

SL: AaB 1-2 FC Nordsjælland

Delighted with this win, although it was soured by another injury. Flying winger Farouk is out for a month, which will see him miss the first Europa League game, which is a major loss for us. Midfielder Niels Sorensen grabbed his first of the season, while substitute and loanee Thor Fremo fired in the winner in stoppage time.

August_31.png

Gutted to see Tran denied you the win over OB :( Tough Europa League group.

I really can't complain at dropping two out of a possible 24 points though. A decent first couple of months - but that Europa League group is definitely looking difficult!

September

Landspokalturneringen 2nd Round: Hedensted 1-3 FC Nordsjælland

A solid enough display in the cup against an amateur side, although I'd have liked things to be more convincing. The two Sorensens and Casper Skov with the goals to see us into round 3.

SL: AC Horsens 1-3 FC Nordsjælland

Effective and no more against one of the league's weaker sides, but a win is a win. Loanee left back Robertinho was used a left midfielder for this game, and he put us in front after 15 mins, and San Marino's record goal scorer Nicola Valentini grabbed the second, his first for the club. Skov grabbed a third late on to wrap up the points.

EL: LOSC 2-0 FC Nordsjælland

No complaints at all about this result. We worked hard but lost to the better side on the night.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 1-0 AGF

Casper Skov was once again the hero as we kept up our excellent league form.

Landspokalturneringen 3rd Round: Esbjerg 1-0 FC Nordsjælland

The board were furious at this loss as we were expected to make the final, but I'm actually not too disappointed to get knocked out. My squad is tiny, and with European games too, we can do with a few midweeks off if we want a good year in the league

SL: Esbjerg 0-0 FC Nordsjælland

A very average game here, but another point isn't a huge disappointment.

September_31.png

Interestingly, prize money is given out every 11 games in the Superliga, or "periods" as they are known. This means:

Period_1_31_32.png

That is three quarters of the amount made for winning the league in Norway, so it's a considerable increase over the course of a season.

I remember they were the weakest club on FIFA 2003. Liking the look of players like Farouk.

That was their first ever season in the top flight, I think. They've had a decent 20-odd years though, in all fairness. And yeah, Farouk is quality, but my old club Bodo are sniffing around him so I may not be able to keep him...

October

EL: FC Nordsjælland 1-0 Fenerbahçe

Delighted to have won our first home game in the group, which gets us back into contention for qualification. Casper Skov's 74th minute free kick bounced back off the post and in off their keeper for a scruffy goal, but I'll take it all day long.

SL: Viborg 1-2 FC Nordsjælland

Another avergae performance, but we keep getting the wins. Skov and Valentini with the goals, although Valentini's stats are dropping like a stone as he isn't training very well. His time in Denmark could be short-lived...

SL: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 Vejle-Kolding Boldklub

Much better performance, although it took late goals from Skov and Psomiadis to secure the points.

EL: FC Nordsjælland 3-2 Vitesse

A classic of a European tie, and I'm thrilled with the win. Carvalho, Farouk and Casper Skov with the goals which leave us with a decent chance of progression.

SL: SønderjyskE 1-2 FC Nordsjælland

A dreadful first half, but we ran riot after I lost my cool at the break. Fremo ended his near-600 minute drought to level and then Skov put us in front straight after, with Sorensen and Carvalho adding the gloss to the finish.

October_31.png

Just read the whole thread over the last two days, brilliant career!! Too much to comment on specifically, some absolutely outstanding achievements. Well done mate, keep it up.

Cheers, fella. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

walking away with it already :D

Heh, not sure about that. We've been a little lucky with injuries so far, so I'm definitely not counting my chickens.

How much does the money for coming 2nd/3rd etc in a phase compare? Starting to see why FCK are so dominant IRL.

Danish_prize_money.png

This is given out three times a season, after rounds 11, 22 and 33.

Looking easy now :D How's your finances at the club?

Not sure about easy, fella... but so far, so good. We've got just over £13m in the bank, although the board have agreed a deal of £1.3m for a new defender this winter, so that is likely to drop.

November

SL: FC Nordsjælland 2-2 Brøndby

Disappointed we couldn't do enough to win this, but I'm happy the unbeaten run continues. Casper Skov put us in front before Brøndby struck back with a swift double, but Robert Jorgensen ensured we picked up a point in the second half.

EL: Vitesse 2-4 FC Nordsjælland

Without doubt our best display of my short time here, we ran the Dutch side ragged (and indeed, 4-2 isn't a fair reflection on just how dominant we were.) Heine Sorensen, Antonio Carvalho and a Skov double put one foot in the knockout stages of the competition.

SL: FC Midtjylland 1-2 FC Nordsjælland

A much-changed side started slowly, but second half goals from Thor Fremo and Nicola Valentini secured the points.

SL: OB 0-2 FC Nordsjælland

This is a win which could yet prove pivotal in the title race, and Thor Fremo was brilliant. He bagged a double, and if he continues in this form I'm certainly thinking of turning his loan into a full time deal at the club.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 3-0 FC København

Just brilliant. Casper Skov, Robertinho and Valentini secure a fantastic win, and the capital side are now reportedly thinking of sacking their manager...

SL: AC Horsens 0-1 FC Nordsjælland

Thor Fremo bagged his fourth of the month to open up a huge gap at the top of the table.

November_31.png

I've already secured a couple of deals for the second half of the season. Portuguese striker Antonio Carvalho hasn't settled in Denmark, so I've agreed a deal to send him back to Portugal for £475,000 and a 50% sell on. Unfortunate, but a tidy profit for a player signed for nothing. In his place, I've agreed a deal for this lad on a free:

Wictor_Persson.png

Also arriving in January are these two:

Linus_Moller.png

(Sadly the player I've signed Moller to replace has broken his leg, so I won't be getting him off the books for a while. Still, Moller should just slot into our back four, and is a good deal for £1.3m.

Alex.png

My back up keeper is making noises about first team football, so Alex will replace him. Not bad for nothing, really.

December

EL: FC Nordsjælland 1-2 LOSC

Very disappointed with this defeat. We simply weren't good enough, and got exactly what we deserved. Lille are a very tidy little side though, it must be said. We did pull a goal back late on from Valentini, but it was never going to be enough.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 0-2 AaB

This loss really hurt. Too many poor performances in each and every area of the park though, so I can have no complaints.

December_31.png

EL: Fenerbahçe 1-2 FC Nordsjælland

That poor run of form came to a shuddering halt here as we were magnificent. Two from from Valentini see us safely in the hat for the knock-out stages, which I'm more than happy with considering the initial group draw.

EL_Group_Final_31_32.png

Good to see the thread is still alive mate and good luck at FCN. ;)

I had a enjoyable save with them on FM14 after this thread inspired me to have a dabble in Scandinavia. :D

Cheers, Dave. I'm just glad I've FINALLY been able to leave Norway! Gives me hope that one day I'll be able to get into a new save elsewhere :)

FC Nordsjælland

2031/32 mid season report

Back to this after a few days away concentrating on work, and it's been an excellent first few months in Denmark. We're flying in the league and safely into the knock-out stages of the Europa League, which is more than the board expected. We've been drawn against Valencia though, so I expect that is the end of our run. Still, it's been good while it lasted, and it's brought us a fair-few quid in, too.

I'm really pleased with the three new additions who have come in this winter, while we also have a potential star coming in next year:

Darko%20Kovac.png

Kovac could potentially pull the strings in our midfield for the next decade, and he comes in on a Bosman. Also hopefully coming in is this lad...

Mazinho.png

I'm still looking around for a few more Bosman deals over this window, but we've now strengthened in every area for next season.

We've also let our reserve keeper Branimir Mihaylov leave for £400,000, so that's £875,000 in transfer fees this window. What with the arrival of Alex, he's just not needed any more, and certainly not for the near 10 grand a week he was earning. All in all, it's been a good window.

Archived