The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

Could have been worse, I guess. If you had to get two teams from the Big Four leagues, Palermo isn't the worst you could do - although if they can finish top 3 or 4 in Serie A...

Still, you should have a chance at least of beating both them and CSKA if everything comes together! :thup:

We did manage to beat Barcelona in the home leg of the last 16 tie a couple of years ago too, so if we can match that performance again, who knows? I wouldn't be too disappointed with 3rd though, in all honesty.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. After losing a couple of key players to injury on international duty (:mad:) I've had to throw a couple of youngsters in at the deep end... and so far they are sinking. We've conceded 8 goals in our last three league games - we'd only let two in over the previous 6!

September

SL: FC Nordsjælland 7-3 AGF

A truly ridiculous game of football, but one the fans must have enjoyed. Casper Skov put us in front after less than a minute, only for AGF to respond instantly. Chemmam's thunderous volley after 25 minutes put us back in the lead, before Thor Fremo tapped home to make it 3-1. An OG and another from Fremo put us completely in control before I made a couple of changes, and suddenly it was 5-3. Another OG made it 6 though, and Stayko Krastev's 10th of the season sealed it late on.

SL: FC Midtjylland 3-0 FC Nordsjælland

I have no words for this performance, but I did fine FIVE players for their performances. Awful.

Champions League Group Group D: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 CSKA Moscow

A significant improvement here, and a great start to our European campaign. Two thumping Julian Vidal goals were enough, and things could have got even better were it not for a stunning performance by CSKA's keeper.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 Viborg

This was a routine performance, although we were never at our best. Kota Komatsu fired home a volley after 7 minutes and Krastev pounced on a loose ball to make it two after an hour.

Landspokalturneringen 3rd Round: Jaegersborg 0-7 FC Nordsjælland

A draw against an amateur side looked a potential banana skin, especially at a sold-out home stadium and with youngsters in our side. Still, we were more than up to the task, and I'm delighted with the performance. Athonasioas Psomadis scored a hat-trick of headers, while young striker Jens Brinck scored twice in an impressive display. Joakim Hansen powered home from a corner, before Anders Lundgaard tapped home to see us through in style.

September_34.png

October

SL: Esbjerg 1-3 FC Nordsjælland

Another solid performance, and Thor Fremo scored a perfect hat-trick.

Champions League Group D: Palermo 0-1 FC Nordsjælland

Really pleased with this performance, and the result takes the pressure off for the two Barcelona games. As so often happens in big games, Stayko Krastev was the difference maker, his goal coming deep into first half stoppage time.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 8-1 Randers

This was just a ridiculous game, summed up by us being given THREE penalties. Krastev put all of the away, and even grabbed a tap-in to finish with four goals. Casper Skov, Julien Vidal, Thor Fremo and Jens Brinck got the others in one of my biggest ever wins.

SL: Lyngby 0-4 FC Nordsjælland

A derby game and another win, so the fans are pretty happy with life right now. Thor Frem continued his run of scoring every time he starts, while young Anders Lundgaard grabbed a beauty soon after. Jose Ortiz grabbed his first for the club from 25 yards, and Jens Brinck scored the goal of the game in stoppage time, winning the ball on half-way and beating four players before sliding home.

Champions League Group D: Barcelona 2-1 FC Nordsjælland

So close and yet so far. I changed our shape for this one after the heavy defeat we got last time at the Camp Nou, and it so nearly came off. Barca went in front after 20 minutes, but they never really looked like testing us other than that. I was emboldened by our performance, so asked the players to be a little more adventurous in the last half hour, and Vidal nodded us level with 15 to play. We looked like hanging on to a great point, but deep into stoppage time we were sliced wide open and left with nothing. Gutted.

SL: FC København 0-4 FC Nordsjælland

No time to dwell on what might have been in Spain, but really this was an ideal fixture. We were simply magnificent in the second half after a dour first 45 minutes, and again Krastev broke the deadlock, this time with a thumping header. Anders Lundgaard had replaced Skov at half time, and he was head and shoulders above everybody else on the pitch. He scored two wonderful solo goals, and then made one for Luis Miguel in stoppage time, too.

October_34.png

I seem to remember FM13 being a little like that in terms of the national team. I'd have championships and cups galore and some other guy who I'd wiped the floor with would get the NT job. Stuart Pearce usually...

I'm really surprised that you weren't anything other than a shoe-in for the Norway job.

I was more than a little gutted. Might not have helped that I'm Danish, but with my rep I feel I have a chance with just about every job that comes up.

November

Landspokalturneringen 4th Round: AaB 0-1 FC Nordsjælland

Not the best of displays in the cup, but we got the job done as games came thick and fast. A late goal from youngster Jens Brinck was the difference on the day.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 0-0 Brøndby IF

No idea how this finished 0-0 to be honest, although we had a huge slice of fortune when the referee missed a clear penalty for the visitors. Still, it's another point, and in difficult circumstances considering the changes I'd had to make.

Champions League Group D: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 Barcelona

I'm absolutely speechless at this performance, but we definitely deserved it. Unlike on the trip to Spain, I decided against going to a 4-2-3-1 and stuck with my 4-4-2, but I did ask the players to sit in and try to catch our illustrious visitors on the break. It worked a treat too, with goals at the end of each half from captain Casper Skov. Magnificent.

SL: AaB 1-2 FC Nordsjælland

We had to work incredibly hard here and fell behind in the first half, but goals from Miguel and youngster Stefan Skov secured the turn-around.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 1-1 AC Horsens

I know we can't win every game, but our league form has dipped in the last few weeks. Thor Fremo secured a draw from the penalty spot here, and extended our unbeaten home run to 30 matches.

SL: OB -2 FC Nordsjælland

This was a much better display, with Casper Skov again running riot. He scored two more and missed a penalty for his hat-trick, to take him to double figures for the third year in a row.

Champions League Group D: CSKA Moscow 0-4 FC Nordsjælland

A point here would have secured our place in the last 16, but the players had no intention of taking it easy. Babangida grabbed his first for the club after half an hour, and made one for Krastev on the stroke of half time. Krastev grabbed his second, his 19th of the season, just after half time, and Darko Kovac marked his return after injury with the goal of the game in the last 10 minutes.

November_34.png

Celta_offer.png

I've mentioned previously I'm beginning to get itchy feet, and I had to think long and hard over this offer, but I've turned it down. There are some interesting jobs in Spain becoming available, but Celta isn't the club for me.

For the first time in I can't remember how long, I'm being tempted by a move to England. That wouldn't put you lot off reading, would it?

I wouldn't be able to move until the summer at the earliest as the leagues aren't loaded, and I wouldn't move to one of the big six (United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, City or Spurs) but the bread and butter of Danish football is going a little stale.

Quite inspired by this save,as i will be doing a very similar save in FM16,always fancied doing a scandinavian save too.Good luck!!!

Best of luck with yours, Steff. I'd recommend starting at a club outside the top tier to make it even more challenging, if you're interested in my two pence. Anyway, enjoy, and thanks for the kind words.

December

SL: AGF 0-3 FC Nordsjælland

A comfortable performance thanks to a brilliant Fremo double, and a thumping Hansen header late on.

Landspokalturneringen Quarter Final: FC Vestsjaelland 0-4 FC Nordsjælland

A comfortable victory against a lower tier side, although we had to work hard for it. Jonathan Killerich broke their resistance after an hour, and then young Jens Brinck scored a peach soon after. A late Krastev double made things look quite simple, but Vestsjaelland deserve credit for their performance.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 1-0 FC Midtjylland

We had to grind this result out, but it's a very good win in the end. Miran Suljic got the only goal on the stroke of half time, but it was a goal to light up any game - a rocket from 30 yards which kissed the post on the way in. Perfection.

Champions League Group D: FC Nordsjælland 4-0 Palermo

With qualification already secure, we knew a fifth win in the groups would give us top spot on our head-to-head record with Barcelona, and I had no intentions of letting that slip. A full strength side were sent out and ordered to take the initiative, and we were in front after 40 seconds through a Krastev header. The Bulgarian was far too strong for Palermo, and he finished the game with two assists and two goals, the first assist came soon after, playing in Luis Miguel to drill home. Komatsu made it three after an hour, again latching on to a Krastev header and drilling home, before the Bulgarian grabbed his second - and 23rd of the season - in stoppage time. He's now scored 68 goals in two whole years at the club, which is astonishing really.

December_34.png

We'll meet our parent club AC Milan in the knock outs, with the first leg in Italy.

Best of luck with yours, Steff. I'd recommend starting at a club outside the top tier to make it even more challenging, if you're interested in my two pence. Anyway, enjoy, and thanks for the kind words.

Sorry for my off-topic thread here withnail, have you had a look/voted at my scandinavian thread? http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/436614-A-Scandinavian-Nordic-Save-here-is-my-options

Sorry for my off-topic thread here withnail, have you had a look/voted at my scandinavian thread? http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/436614-A-Scandinavian-Nordic-Save-here-is-my-options

No worries, I did see that, but my advice would still be to drop down a division. Anyway, your game fella, do as you see fit.

A little bit of transfer news.

I've just agreed a deal for former Bodø/Glimt youngster Robert Zarelli, who had been moved on to Fiorentina. The midfielder arrives for £1.4m, and to ensure he has a space in the side, I've finally given in to Maher Chemmam's pestering and agreed to sell him on. He'll join Lyon of France for £11.5m, or a profit of £9m in two years. Can't grumble at that.

LOGO%20CHAMPIONS%20LEAGUE.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Last 16

1st Leg: AC Milan 1-5 FC Nordsjælland

There have been a few ridiculous games of football over the course of this career, but this one is right up there. I stuck to my 4-4-2 for the trip to Italy, but asked the players to try and counter rather than our usual control, much like I had against Barcelona. The performance was as close to perfect as you can possibly get. New signing Nikolay Mladenov got his Danish career off to a flyer, powering home a header from a corner inside 5 minutes, and Casper Skov made it two just seven minutes later. Skov had a second just before half time, pouncing upon a defensive mix up and rounding the keeper, and another Mladenov header put us four up after an hour. Thor Fremo got in on the act in the second half, smashing home the most perfect of long range volleys, and although we conceded late on, nothing could take the shine off this display.

2nd Leg: FC Nordsjælland 2-1 AC Milan

With the brilliance of the first leg there was no pressure at all for this game, and I even rested a couple of big names. Milan got their second of the tie after half an hour, after Vidal tripped one of my former midfielders Nino Charpantier in the box, and the penalty was smashed home. Again we responded brilliantly, with Thor Fremo hitting a double and seeing us through in style.

March

SL: Viborg 0-4 FC Nordsjælland

We came into this game off the back of the trip to Italy, and with confidence high, we tore Viborg to bits. Fremo grabbed two more, and Suljic and Lundgaard got the others. A great afternoon's work.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 1-1 Esbjerg

A very average display, it looked like the players had relaxed a little too much for this one. Krastev put us in front but we were sloppy, and I have no complaints over the final score.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 1-0 Lyngby

Once again not the best of performances, but a derby victory should always be celebrated. Thor Fremo once again the hero, he was almost a veteran at 21 in a team which included 6 teenagers.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 5-0 FC København

Results don't come much better than this - simply magnificent. Casper Skov had us in front early on before Vidal made it two, a deflected Miguel drive made it three before half time, and Brinck and Fremo applied the second half gloss.

SL: Randers 4-3 FC Nordsjælland

From jubilation to despair in four days, we were simply woeful defensively here. Individual errors led to three of the back four being fined, one of them a fortnight's wages! Two from Fremo and one from Killerich were not enough to even rescue a point, but the defeat may focus a few minds in the last eight games.

March_35.png

UEFA Champions League- Quarter Final

1st Leg: PSG 3-1 FC Nordsjælland

This was a horrendous first leg, and if anything it could have been even worse. We conceded FOUR penalties, three of which were scored (and even the one that was saved directly led to another foul in the box) so we're right up against it. Stayko Krastev at least gave us hope, turning home at the second attempt after 87 minutes.

2nd Leg: FC Nordsjælland 4-0 PSG

Remarkable. I told the lads there was no pressure on them, just go out and give it your best and we'll see what happens - and their best was magnificent. Casper Skov pulled a goal back after half an hour, turning home a loose ball in the PSG box, and he levelled the tie with a header from a corner after an hour. Thor Fremo came on with 25 to play and immediately thumped home a header, and in stoppage time, he hammered home an unstoppable volley from 12 yards. Brilliant.

April

SL: Brøndby IF 1-4 FC Nordsjælland

The Randers defeat was followed by an international break, so we had a little too much time to stew on our performance. Fortunately we came flying out of the blocks here, and just blew our hosts away. Thor Fremo bagged a hat-trick, and a Psomadis rocket made things safe.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 3-0 AaB

A routine win against struggling Aalborg, and with a second XI to boot. Fremo, Psomadis and Suljic the goal scorers.

Landspokalturneringen semi final first leg: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 FC København

This game fell just two days after the second leg of the PSG game (on Thursday) so I essentially selected whoever was fit. Thankfully, one of those was Thor Fremo, and he grabbed both goals.

SL: AC Horsens 1-2 FC Nordsjælland

This time it was Jens Brinck's turn to be the hero, and the title is once again within our reach. This wasn't a great performance, but at this stage it really doesn't matter...

Landspokalturneringen semi final second leg: FC København 3-2 FC Nordsjælland

This was a hell of a game, and our hosts pushed us all the way, but we're into the final. Stayko Krastev scored twice, and although we got a little sloppy defensively, I'm happy enough that we scraped through.

SL: OB 0-2 FC Nordsjælland

A win here and we'd need just one point in May to win the league, although with the CL semi final just days after, I took a risk and played a second XI again. Thankfully we had enough about us to get the win, with Fremo again finding the net and substitute Simon Babangida scoring a Van Basten-like volley in stoppage time.

April_35.png

I've made a decision over my future, too. With me being 55 in game now I've decided if I'm ever to make an impact in one of Europe's best leagues, I need to get into one ASAP. I've got to a point where I'm not overly enjoying Denmark at the moment, so I'll be leaving either when we get knocked out of Europe, or after the Champions League final.

I'll be aiming to move to either England, Germany, Italy or Spain, although I won't be joining a "super-club" wherever I end up.

UEFA Champions League- Semi Final

1st Leg: Manchester City 5-0 FC Nordsjælland

I've got history against Manchester City having beaten them in three Champions League finals and several knock-out rounds while in Norway, but this tie belongs to them. They simply blew us away in the first half, and so the Danish Champions League dream lies in tatters before the second leg even kicks off.

2nd Leg: FC Nordsjælland 1-1 Manchester City

The second leg then was all about restoring some pride, and I feel we did that. We played pretty well for an hour, and led through Stayko Krastev, but City deserved their leveller. Gutting, but ultimately we weren't good enough.

May

SL: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 AGF

Another routine home victory in the league, and this was enough to wrap up the league title. Jens Brinck and Athonasioas Psomadis with the goals in what was to be my final domestic match at the club.

champions_35.png

Resigned.png

And so my Danish adventure has come to an end. Sure, I could have hung on for the cup final, and I may one day look back and think I could have won a Champions League in Denmark had I given it a few more years, but my mind has been made up for a week or so now. It's time to step away from my comfort blanket of Scandinavia.

Probably a good idea seeking a new challenge.

I think so too. I was just going through the motions in that last season, it was only my European run keeping me going.

I'm going to holiday until the English leagues are loaded, and then see what jobs in the big countries come up.

Not quite the ending I was hoping for but still, well done with Nordsjaelland and good luck with the new challenge that you are seeking.

Nor me either, to be honest. I'd wanted to replicate my success in Norway, but I never quite developed the same bond with the club. It may have had something to do with fewer player registration restrictions, so there was less pressure to develop my own players. Even when I was sweeping all before me in Norway, I could enjoy it as they were my players, either from the academy or I'd signed them as teenagers so they became home grown.

England, Spain, Italy or Germany will be a different challenge, and while I'll not be able to sign just young players like Norway, the competition domestically will be much greater.

I've decided to holiday until the end of the transfer window, so wherever I end up I'll have to use whatever players I have at least in the short term. It's taking forever, but I hope I'll have an update on my destination in a couple of hours.

I've now been on holiday for six months, so hopefully a job I want will come up soon. There's one job I really want that is available, but the club are missing all of their board members (the league has only been switched on this summer) so despite me having applied at the end of August, I'm no closer to knowing whether they'll take me.

There is one other top flight job which might come up soon, and two in the 2nd tier (both clubs are bitter rivals with the other, same city too) so I'm hoping to be off the dole queue soon!

The very first job offer I've had in nearly 7 months out of the game is this one:

Real_Madrid_offer.png

As tempting as it is, I just can't take it. I'm looking for a long-term project at a club I can build - not a short stint at one of the game's giants.

I finally have an offer from the type of club I was looking for, but I fear it won't be a popular one with people who started following my thread because of the title! (Sorry about that, lads.) It's a job I'm really looking forward to getting started though, it's just a pity I was offered it at 3am and not 10pm! Anyway:

Job_offer.png

Club_info.png

As you can see, the club is carrying a fairly substantial debt, but that only adds to my attraction to the job.

History.png

They've won absolutely nothing since my career started, meaning it is now 40 years since their last trophy.

League_table_day_of_offer.png

They've had a decent season so far, and I'd like to think that European football next season won't be out of the equation. I should also point out that since Chelsea won the league in 2013, Man United have won it every single season bar 2025/26 and 2026/27, when it was won by Man City. That's a hell of a choke-hold on the league.

Everton are probably at the top-end of the type of club I was after, but I think will still present me with the type of challenge I was after. I'll sleep on the offer tonight, but I think I'm 90% sure I'll take it.

For what it's worth, I hope you do take it. We really need someone to knock those red ba... devils off their perch! :D

Weird that they should dominate that much, but I guess it's because you only loaded the PL now and all those seasons have been simmed...

For what it's worth, I hope you do take it. We really need someone to knock those red ba... devils off their perch! :D

Weird that they should dominate that much, but I guess it's because you only loaded the PL now and all those seasons have been simmed...

Yeah, it is a bit odd that City and Chelsea haven't won it a bit more. I suspect that will change this year though as United are currently mid-table.

I've decided I'll take it, so there'll be an update later.

It's not terrible debt. As for Juve being available for ages, that's nothing compared to what I've seen in the past, on FM11 (I think it might have been the 'Delta's Darlings' save) I saw Boavista was vacant for literally years on end, probably because they were in a hopeless financial situation.

It's not terrible debt. As for Juve being available for ages, that's nothing compared to what I've seen in the past, on FM11 (I think it might have been the 'Delta's Darlings' save) I saw Boavista was vacant for literally years on end, probably because they were in a hopeless financial situation.

It's relative with debt, I guess. I'm not used to managing in leagues where there's lots of prize and tv money, so £10m is a lot to me.

I'm just hoping we can expand Goodison Park instead of needing a new stadium in future, as that could be a big problem.

Everton_FC_logo._1.png

Everton Football Club

(From wiki)

Everton Football Club are an English football club based in Liverpool, playing in the Premier League. The club has competed in the top division for a record 112 seasons (playing just four seasons in the second tier) and has won a number of major honours including the League Championship nine times and the FA Cup five times.

Formed in 1878, Everton were founding members of The Football League in 1888 and won their first league championship two seasons later.

The mid-1980s represented their most recent period of sustained success, with two League Championship successes, an FA Cup, and the 1985 European Cup Winners' Cup. The club's most recent major trophy was the 1995 FA Cup. The club's supporters are known as Evertonians.

Everton have a rivalry with neighbours Liverpool and the two sides contest the Merseyside derby. The club have been based at Goodison Park in Walton, Liverpool, since 1892, after moving from Anfield after a row over its rent.

Goodison%20Park..jpg

(From FM)

The media expect the club to challenge for Europe this year, with a 7th place predicted. It also has nearly 23,000 season ticket holders, top training and youth facilities, and a level 1 rated youth set up. On my first day at the club, we have £13m in the bank.

Everton_FC_logo._1.png

Everton Football Club

I've signed a five year deal at the club, and my brief is to play attacking football and sign young players for the first team. Both of those are absolutely fine with me. I'm also happy enough with the expectations for the league as a top-half place would appear to suffice, although I'll have at least one eye on a European spot. We're already out of the League Cup, but we're expected to make the 6th round of the FA Cup.

As for my budget, once I level out the wages I've about £4m to spend on transfers, so I'd expect a little wheeling and dealing in January. Here's my report upon arrival:

Team_report_1.png

Team_report_2.png

My assistant tells me that this is our best player:

Federico_Galloway.png

We're a little thin on the ground for numbers, but we look to have the framework of a good side on our hands. However, we do have quite an old squad, and 18 (EIGHTEEN!!) of our first team are out of contract in the summer. I suspect there'll be a fairly substantial player turn-over in the next couple of windows.

I am an Everton supporter in "real life," so I'm very glad to see you take the job at Goodison Park!

I'm often tempted to start an Everton career, but I haven't spent much time playing as Everton. I think I'd enjoy it more if I were offered the job in-game, as a result of my achievements at other clubs--the way you were.

Anyway, good luck with the Toffees. I've been following your thread for a while; now I'll enjoy it even more.

I am an Everton supporter in "real life," so I'm very glad to see you take the job at Goodison Park!

I'm often tempted to start an Everton career, but I haven't spent much time playing as Everton. I think I'd enjoy it more if I were offered the job in-game, as a result of my achievements at other clubs--the way you were.

Anyway, good luck with the Toffees. I've been following your thread for a while; now I'll enjoy it even more.

Cheers fella. Everton feels like a good fit for me, so hopefully I can achieve a bit of success there.

And I'm right with you about the benefits of getting the job in a career, rather than starting there. It's always more satisfying when you earn it, after all.

Archived