The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

I have been inspired by you to do something similar. I took over Randheim and got them promoted. c: I am only making money through selling key players and having them loaned back till the end of next season. But I am having fun!

Yep, I remember that feeling. If your scouts are good enough though there's always another player...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a cracking save so far, would have liked you to have won the CWC to top the season off but obviously it wasn't meant to be.

I had that feeling of getting bored with FM for most of last month and this so know how it can get a bit stale, so had a bit of time off from it over that period, but i've come back to it over the last week or so and have started to enjoy it again :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do :thup:

Been a cracking save so far, would have liked you to have won the CWC to top the season off but obviously it wasn't meant to be.

I had that feeling of getting bored with FM for most of last month and this so know how it can get a bit stale, so had a bit of time off from it over that period, but i've come back to it over the last week or so and have started to enjoy it again :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do :thup:

I'm one of those who tends to prefer the journey over the destination, so now we've won the Champions League I'm getting the itch to try something new. It's a pity - I'd love to have seen the likes of Molde invest to try and stay with us, which I think they would have done in real life - but we're very much over the hills and far away from the rest of the league now. Normally I'd just look to move on from here, but those two errors make me wary of leaving, so if I do want to try something new that might mean this thread has come to a conclusion.

I'm contemplating a brand new save in the Portuguese third tier at this moment. Trying to take a tiny semi-pro club and make them bigger than Porto/Benfica/Sporting, and then the rest of Europe after that is always a good challenge, especially as there's so little money available for clubs outside of the top 5 or 6 in the country. That save would also ensure the big clubs could invest if I ever did become top-dog too I suspect. However, I don't want to jump into something too soon as this has been one of my most enjoyable saves ever, so a few days away might reinvigorate me enough to keep going.

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: If I did try that Portuguese save, would anybody be interested in reading it?

Definitely be interested in a Portuguese save. It's always been one to avoid for me but in the same breath I always load their leagues so I am interested. However, for me the Portuguese leagues are similar to the Scottish (albeit better quality). There are two or three big teams and the rest are neither here or there. Because of that would breaking the 'monopoly' of the top three be a big enough achievement? If you were to remove Celtic or Rangers from their perch (ok I know Rangers current situation isn't what is was but they'll be back), would you be satisfied?

Ever thought of going lower than the Norwegian leagues in terms of quality? Something like Slovakia etc?

Just trying to play Devil's Advocate.

Definitely be interested in a Portuguese save. It's always been one to avoid for me but in the same breath I always load their leagues so I am interested. However, for me the Portuguese leagues are similar to the Scottish (albeit better quality). There are two or three big teams and the rest are neither here or there. Because of that would breaking the 'monopoly' of the top three be a big enough achievement? If you were to remove Celtic or Rangers from their perch (ok I know Rangers current situation isn't what is was but they'll be back), would you be satisfied?

Ever thought of going lower than the Norwegian leagues in terms of quality? Something like Slovakia etc?

Just trying to play Devil's Advocate.

I take your point and I get the comparison, but the fact there are three of them and all are capable of winning a European trophy every time we all play the game - unlike the OF - still makes it viable. Portugal appeals because of that huge disparity between rich and poor, and because no matter how good we could become I'd never actually slay the dragon.

The problem with somewhere like Slovakia I'd say would be the lack of challenge domestically over time, which is why I'm looking at stronger leagues. I've already cracked Ukraine, everybody seems to be in Spain, England bores me to tears, there are no clubs small enough in Germany and I don't trust Italy - glorious FM heaven Italy - to be clear of the tax bug.

I take your point and I get the comparison, but the fact there are three of them and all are capable of winning a European trophy every time we all play the game - unlike the OF - still makes it viable. Portugal appeals because of that huge disparity between rich and poor, and because no matter how good we could become I'd never actually slay the dragon.

The problem with somewhere like Slovakia I'd say would be the lack of challenge domestically over time, which is why I'm looking at stronger leagues. I've already cracked Ukraine, everybody seems to be in Spain, England bores me to tears, there are no clubs small enough in Germany and I don't trust Italy - glorious FM heaven Italy - to be clear of the tax bug.

Yeah, I suppose Slovakia would pose the same problems as Norway in time. What about Belgium? Lots of clubs with history there. I agree about England, can be very boring. I also don't like Spain. I love Scandinavia!

What about leaving your current club (Bodo) and going to another Norwegian club to challenge them?

Yeah, I suppose Slovakia would pose the same problems as Norway in time. What about Belgium? Lots of clubs with history there. I agree about England, can be very boring. I also don't like Spain. I love Scandinavia!

What about leaving your current club (Bodo) and going to another Norwegian club to challenge them?

Sounds good in theory, but I'd feel a little traitorous... I'm still thinking of possibilities though.

Really good career with Bodø/Glimt.

Spain, I only find it fun with the 3rd division leagues on there, picking something close to home.

England seems interesting as if you start at the lowest division, you can try go up the most number of divisions.

I liked Russia, that's crazy with 7 rich teams each killing each other.

Really good career with Bodø/Glimt.

Spain, I only find it fun with the 3rd division leagues on there, picking something close to home.

England seems interesting as if you start at the lowest division, you can try go up the most number of divisions.

I liked Russia, that's crazy with 7 rich teams each killing each other.

Cheers man, it's been a lot of fun.

Spain can be a fun league to play from the bottom, I agree. It's just I know lots of people playing there at the moment, and I like to be a little different (hence my saves in Ukraine, Poland and now Norway). I've spent lots of time playing from the bottom in England, and although there have been some fun saves I'm just really bored of playing at home. Italy would have been ideal as it is my favourite league to play, but I was never convinced SI totally fixed the tax bug on FM13.

Russia is something of a graveyard for my saves, so out of superstition I tend to stay away, although I can appreciate that it would be fun.

As someone currently managing in the Portugese lower leagues I couldn't recommend it enough. The small clubs are tiny and as is the case in Spain you're competing directly against the reserve sides of the giants for the same promotion spots. The two mini-seasons are great for the whole year being interesting should you have a poor campaign (as I just have). Granted you'll make me look like an amateur by jumping straight up, but I would suggest you give it a go.

Good read, good luck in your next career, maybe it's time for Fm14?

Cheers fella. Not had a lot of time to play these last few days, but I'm looking forward to getting into it.

And no, I'm going to stick with 13. My time to play FM will be limited even further by a new arrival in the next few days, so the last thing I want is to spend time learning a new game. If anything I'll be more likely to go back to a simpler version so I can fly through seasons, not make things get even slower and more complicated!

• 1 month later...

Evening all

I've been away from here for a few weeks as I've just become a dad for the first time... which was nice. (sometimes the simplest 'Fast Show' quotes are the best!)

As my time will be a little more limited in future I really can't face getting started at a new club, so I've deleted the Egersunds posts on the thread and I'm going to continue my adventure at Bodø... again, apologies for any confusion.

Evening all

I've been away from here for a few weeks as I've just become a dad for the first time... which was nice. (sometimes the simplest 'Fast Show' quotes are the best!)

As my time will be a little more limited in future I really can't face getting started at a new club, so I've deleted the Egersunds posts on the thread and I'm going to continue my adventure at Bodø... again, apologies for any confusion.

Congrats!! Hope all is settling down well, I'll see you again in a month :lol:

Congrats! And you just can't stay away from Bodo can you? :D

Cheers, man. And I seem to be something of a boomerang with them! In fairness, now my time has been reduced so much, the last thing I want is to spend 5 hours or so in that first pre-season, I'd rather just crack on with Bodø where I'm just making little tweaks.

a5hz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season preview 2023

Media expectation: 1st (of 16)

Board expectation: win the title

Transfer budget: (remaining) £15m

Wage budget: £333,000p/w (£140,000p/w under budget)

So I've been away from this forever, but I'm delighted to be back in Norway. As you can see, we're still miles under budget considering the player restrictions in place, but I'm pleased to say that the board are upgrading both our training and youth facilities, which is a bonus. I'm also hoping that the board will agree to extend our shiny new stadium this year, as 20,247 isn't quite big enough for us!

We've been lucky with injuries this pre-season, and so just about everybody is fit for the last 16 of the Champions League against Dortmund. I've had a relatively quiet transfer window too, as I'm pleased with what we have at the club, and I don't really have the slots open for foreign players right now. Indeed, this has forced me to sell a player I'd rather have kept, but Kryzsztof Lagiewka hadn't settled as well as I'd hoped and so we should be OK.

The fans weren't happy with two of the players I've sold this year. Defender Gustav Valsvik was club captain and an icon, making 278 appearances and winning 13 trophies in his 8 years at the club. However, at 30 he was on the slide, and it was the right time to sell him. I was delighted with the £675,000 we were offered for him, too. Also leaving was midfielder Luc Kassi, who arrived the same year as Valsvik. He made 255 appearances, but again he was slipping down the pecking order, and so £600,000 was a good offer for him.

d9i9.png

I may decide to let a few players leave on loan in the coming weeks in addition to the four who've left permanently, with winger Aleksander Ottersen and striker Tord Eliassen being obvious candidates. We shall see as the weeks go on.

Players in

Klaus Eira: I've done something of a Liverpool of old trick with this striker - I've signed him simply to stop one of our rivals from having him. My scouts rated him as a potential 4.5 star striker, and while my assistant isn't quite as sure as that, I'm still happy with his potential.

Franca: I've been tracking this young midfielder for a while, and while I think this year will be too soon for him, he's got bags of potential for the future. His age also helps, which means he'll become home-grown in a few years.

Christos Nioplias: I've been lucky to find some great young defenders in this career, and the Greek is another who could be a really good option in future. I wasn't thrilled at paying £2m for him, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Marcos Gutierrez: With Borger Thomas on the decline (and out of contract next year) I needed a new keeper as back up to Roberto Wolff. Gutierrez is a great prospect, and another who will become home-grown in a few years.

Arriving in July

Romain Lavergne: With three of our foreign players becoming home-grown in the summer, we had room for one more over-age foreign player. I was looking to strengthen in midfield, and I'm pleased at being able to do that without having to spend a penny - his wages are pricey, but signing him for nothing really helps.

Breaking news

A great piece of news in the weeks before the season starts. Three key players, all of whom had expressed an interest in moving to a bigger club, have signed new deals.

Striker Dario Torres earned himself a tidy £10,000p/w pay rise to sign on until 2027, while midfielder Marius Helfjord Jacobsen and new captain Hakkon Koppervik are also in it for the long haul. Really pleased to have secured the spine of the side for the considerable future.

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Last 16

1st Leg: Dortmund 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

I expected us to have to be resilient in Germany, and the game wasn't a big surprise on that front. Despite Dortmund dominating possession and chances, we put in a superb defensive display and Dario Torres' second half equaliser gives us a real chance of progression.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 4-1 Dortmund

An entirely different game, I decided to have a go at home and we ripped them to pieces. Academy graduate Aril Hauckland had us in front after just three minutes, and Sandsund made it two before the break. Hauckland grabbed his second 10 minutes into the second half, and substitute Kristoffer Lindseth sealed it with 12 minutes left to play. We conceded late on, but it won't spoil what was a wonderful performance.

cq2b.png

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Quarter Final

1st Leg: Bodø/Glimt 4-2 Celtic

A crazy game, and one of those that leaves the tie in the balance thanks to their two away goals. Paulo Sergio was absolutely immense here, and bagged a first half hat-trick to leave us in control. However, we conceded two really soft goals in the early stages of the second half to give us a scare before Dag Even Sandsund added a little gloss to the finish.

2nd Leg: Celtic 2-2 Bodø/Glimt

Through, but by the skin of our teeth in the end. Celtic took an early lead after a defensive mix-up, but Dag Even Sandsund levelled after 25 minutes, smashing home from 10 yards after a quick counter. It stayed that way until 5 minutes from time, when Celtic gave themselves a sniff with a perfect free kick. They threw everybody forward, and rattled our cross bar in the 92nd minute - only for us to break and Dario Torres to score from a George Weah type mazy dribble, and send us into the semis.

March & April

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Lillestrøm

A routine start the new season. Paulo Sergio had us in front after just three minutes, before a double from Dag Even Sandsund secured the points.

TL: Odd 0-5 Bodø/Glimt

I put out a second string side for this game as it was played just a few days before the Celtic game, but we were magnificent. Kristoffer Lindseth came in for the rested Torres and bagged a hat-trick, while Sandsund got two more from the bench.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Ull/Kisa

This was another comprehensive home win, with Anderson, Lindseth and Hauckland getting the goals.

TL: Rosenborg 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

The first big test of the new season, and we passed with flying colours. An OG put us in front after 20 minutes, and midfielders Hauckland and Jacobsen both scored screamers to continue our perfect start.

TL: Sogndal 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

Another solid display continues our fine start to the season. Sergio, Sandsund and record-signing Gouano's first for the club takes us to the top of the table.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Tromsø

Not a great display in the Slaget om Nord-Norge derby, but with Barcelona just three days after this game, I made plenty of changes. Kristoffer Lindseth bagged both goals in stoppage time.

April_2023.png

March & April

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Lillestrøm

A routine start the new season. Paulo Sergio had us in front after just three minutes, before a double from Dag Even Sandsund secured the points.

TL: Odd 0-5 Bodø/Glimt

I put out a second string side for this game as it was played just a few days before the Celtic game, but we were magnificent. Kristoffer Lindseth came in for the rested Torres and bagged a hat-trick, while Sandsund got two more from the bench.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Ull/Kisa

This was another comprehensive home win, with Anderson, Lindseth and Hauckland getting the goals.

TL: Rosenborg 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

The first big test of the new season, and we passed with flying colours. An OG put us in front after 20 minutes, and midfielders Hauckland and Jacobsen both scored screamers to continue our perfect start.

TL: Sogndal 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

Another solid display continues our fine start to the season. Sergio, Sandsund and record-signing Gouano's first for the club takes us to the top of the table.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Tromsø

Not a great display in the Slaget om Nord-Norge derby, but with Barcelona just three days after this game, I made plenty of changes. Kristoffer Lindseth bagged both goals in stoppage time.

League Table

(had to add the table like this as my normal site isn't working, my apologies)

Start of the season could have been better...conceding two goals?! :D

Also, on photobucket, you need to copy the IMG link to post as you have been doing previously, rather than a link.

Start of the season could have been better...conceding two goals?! :D

Also, on photobucket, you need to copy the IMG link to post as you have been doing previously, rather than a link.

Thanks for that, I was using imageshack before but last night it was failing miserably.

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Semi Final

1st Leg: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Barcelona

A fire-cracker of a first leg, and one that leaves us in a decent position in the tie. We fell behind after 20 minutes, when an incredible run from Turkish international Turguy Akdag ripped us apart, and he rounded Wolff and slotted home. Barcelona were well on top for the rest of the first half, and even hit the post right on the half time whistle. We had to change something, and so the under-performing Dario Torres was replaced with Kristoffer Lindseth, and after 67 minutes he had us level. Kleiva was left in all kinds of room on the wing, and his cross was powered home by the Norwegian international for 1-1. I was happy enough with 1-1, but in the final 6 minutes we were in front. Gouano played a give-and-go with Sandsund and then smashed home from 20 yards, and then things got even better. An awful goal kick from Barca's keeper was pounced on by Sandsund, who hammered home a third.

2nd Leg: Barcelona 3-3 Bodø/Glimt

Just unbelievable. A horrible start for us, and with just 6 minutes on the clock the tie was level. We defended dreadfully for both goals, and it was that kind of game where you're shouting at the laptop screen. Still, we responded well, and from a 21st minute Paulo Sergio corner, Simen Kleiva put us back in front on aggregate. A scorching volley from 12 yards, and a great way to get his first of the season. Five minutes later it was 2-2, another Sergio set piece was met by Lindseth this time, and I couldn't quite believe what I was watching. We weren't celebrating for long though, and Ocampos put Barcelona in front on 40 minutes. A ridiculous first half, but the second was very different - we went for a more defensive system, and frustrated them. Barca threw players forward but we held firm, and in stoppage time Paulo Sergio levelled the game with a rocket from 20 yards.

Into a second successive Champions League final, and it's English opponents again - Chelsea this time.

May

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Aalesund

Two from Torres and one from Sandsund keeps up our great start to the new season.

Norwegian Cup first round: Skarp 0-6 Bodø/Glimt

I let our second string start this cup tie, and they were terrific. Lindseth scored twice in the first 10 minutes, before Gluhak drilled home from 18 yards. Anderson and Hauckland added to that tally in the second half, and then there was a landmark goal from young striker Tord Eliassen.

Youngest_scorer.png

TL: Bodø/Glimt 5-0 Sandefjord

A crushing victory as we maintained our perfect start. Sandsund, Sergio, Torres, Kleiva and Lindseth the scorers in our most complete performance of the year.

TL: Strømsgodset 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

Another big test, another solid performance. All three goals came in the second half after we'd fallen behind, but Torres, Sandsund and Lindseth capped off a great win.

TL: Haugesund 0-4 Bodø/Glimt

Another great performance, with goals from Sandsund (2) Torres and an OG.

Norwegian Cup second round: Mosjoen 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

Not the greatest display against the amateur side, but Eliassen, Plazonic and Lindseth see us safely through.

May_23.png

Archived