The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice financials for sure! No selling players to keep the finances above water anymore. I think you were right to for it against Liverpool though I do hope it doesn't end up costing you

Yeah, it definitely makes a difference... Although I might sell a couple anyway, but we shall see!

October

Champions League Group G: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Dinamo

Torres followed up his double against Rosenborg with a perfect hat-trick here. He might yet beat his 30 goals from last year at this rate!

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Stabæk

An efficient performance even after falling behind sees us pick up three more points. Sandsund, Kassi and Victor with the goals.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 4-1 Ull/Kisa

Our home form is ridiculous, and we ran Ull/Kisa absolutely ragged. Torres scored another hat-trick, and his replacement Victor grabbed the fourth late on.

6bpy.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nort.png

Champions League Group G: Leverkusen 2-2 Bodø/Glimt

So frustratingly unlucky. Within the first couple of minutes we were in front, Jacobsen playing a perfect lofted ball over the top which Torres met with a diving header over the advancing keeper for 1-0, only for them to level just before half time. We started the second half strongly too and Torres was on the score sheet once more, driving home from the edge of the area after 50 minutes. With 25 minutes to play we had the chance to seal it after Torres was fouled in the area, but his penalty was saved - and Leverkusen went straight down the other end and levelled. Still, a good point.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Aalesund

Our final home game of the season sees us pick up three more points - and we're now unbeaten in domestic home games since we lost to Rosenborg in 2018. Paulo Sergio floated home a wonderful free kick and Valsvik sealed it in stoppage time.

TL: Molde 0-4 Bodø/Glimt

There's nothing like smashing one of the big clubs on their own patch. Torres, Victor and a Sandsund double secured the points.

TL: Hønefoss 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

Not a bad way to finish the domestic season. Sandsund got his 20th of the season before Victor and Kassi secured the points.

9fe2.png

Thanks to the way the season has been scheduled, I'm able to put my three final group games together in one update. Here we go:

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- group stage

Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Leverkusen

A perfect home display sees us put the German side to the sword with ease. We were in front early on after they had a horrible defensive mix up which put Jacobsen in to score with ease. Before half time it was 2, Sergio's cross from the left found Sandsund unmarked and he powered home a volley from 12 yards. I expected Leverkusen to come back into it, but on the hour Torres made it three with a thumping header.

bdo5.png

Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Liverpool

The complete opposite of the game at Anfield, but I'll take it. We had to be patient, but in the 92nd minute a long ball wasn't dealt with by Liverpool's central defenders, and Victor stepped in to slot the ball home.

jg3v.png

Dinamo 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

Disappointed with this, but delighted to go through as group winners. Dario Torres tapped home his 30th of the season to put us in front, but it is really annoying to see us concede in the 92nd minute.

styy.png

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season summary

League (Tippeligaen)

Media prediction: 1st (of 16)

Finished: Champions

Cups

Norwegian Cup: Fourth Round

Champions League: Group Stage - 1st - qualified for the last 16

Top scorers

Dario Torres: 35 appearances (32 starts): 30 goals (21 in the league)

Dag Even Sandsund: 42 appearances (37 starts): 21 goals (15 in the league)

Victor: 31 appearances (14 starts): 20 goals (13 in the league)

Positives

Another great season in the league. We set a new record points tally despite losing a couple of games, the squad is generally excellent and there is plenty of depth to boot. We've no financial issues any more... all in all it's pretty difficult to think of an area that's NOT positive right now. I've even managed to become a legend, which I haven't achieved since FM05 at Hibernian.

Concerns

Much like last year, I'm a little concerned about the lack of quality home-grown players in Norway, so I'll have a couple of decisions to make over the foreign contingent of my squad. I'd like to find a new left back, but the Norwegian options are rubbish! The board are spending another £5.5m on the youth and training facilities though, so hopefully it won't be long before we start bringing through more of our own players.

Ambitions

I'm hoping we can make it through our last 16 tie in the new year. After that, another league title and to progress through the group stages again next season.

Surprise of the season

Flying through that Champions League group and finishing as winners

Player of the season

Gustav Valsvik

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 9,300 (v Haugesund in the league - stadium was being expanded so reduced capacity)

Highest attendance: 14,704 - (v Strømsgodset in the league)

Average attendance: 13,388 (13,266 in the league - all 15 home league games were sell-outs)

Finances

£18,598,998

Lovely work. You're about to enter the period that I find fascinating, where you drag the UEFA coefficient of the country up to allow more European slots. Once the 2nd placed team starts qualifying for the Champions League automatically (purely due to your good work) then get a lot of cash which in turn improves the level of your league. This actually seems to help you, rather than hinder. Will be interesting to see what happens if the takeover at Valerenga goes ahead, along with them getting a chunk of Champions League money.

Absolutely loving this career, the work you've done with Bodø/Glimt is amazing. Would be nice if Vålerenga could get some money and challenge you domestically. Being Norwegian I play a lot in Norway, and I share your frustration about the lack of quality norwegian regens. I reached 2042 with Strømsgodset on FM 13 and I was lucky if there was even one good norwegian regen popping up each year.

Lovely work. You're about to enter the period that I find fascinating, where you drag the UEFA coefficient of the country up to allow more European slots. Once the 2nd placed team starts qualifying for the Champions League automatically (purely due to your good work) then get a lot of cash which in turn improves the level of your league. This actually seems to help you, rather than hinder. Will be interesting to see what happens if the takeover at Valerenga goes ahead, along with them getting a chunk of Champions League money.

Cheers, man. Yeah, things are promising to get a little more interesting domestically with that second Champions League spot, and if Vålerenga are taken over it could be a great test over the next few years. And I agree that it'll help rather than hinder - the quality of the league improving can only be a good thing as it'll help me keep my best players, and maybe attract a few better ones down the line. That in turn might mean a few more Norwegian regens, too. I can but hope.

Absolutely loving this career, the work you've done with Bodø/Glimt is amazing. Would be nice if Vålerenga could get some money and challenge you domestically. Being Norwegian I play a lot in Norway, and I share your frustration about the lack of quality norwegian regens. I reached 2042 with Strømsgodset on FM 13 and I was lucky if there was even one good norwegian regen popping up each year.

Cheers man, I appreciate the kind words. Hopefully I can keep improving over the next few years, and just maybe I'll see a few more outstanding regens in the future. Maybe Vålerenga will spend some of that money upgrading their youth facilities, so I'll try and poach some of their regens! If not for my policy of signing really young foreign players to allow them to become home-grown I'd be really struggling, but I'm hoping I've improved us again this window.

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season preview 2021

Media expectation: 1st (of 16)

Board expectation: challenge for the title

Transfer budget: (remaining) £14.6m

Wage budget: £171,000p/w (£82,000p/w under budget)

So the whole financial situation at the club is now getting a little bit silly... as you can see, my budget is absolutely astronomical, but I'm in no rush to spend too much at this stage. I've been quite busy in this transfer window, although I haven't necessarily been signing players for the first team for this season. I'm still looking around for other options before the league season starts, but I wouldn't expect any more signings before the Juventus game. I'm beginning to think about asking the board for a new stadium too, so I don't want to spend too much in case they agree!

We've been able to get a couple of extra friendlies in this winter, so hopefully we'll be a bit fitter than we were when we met Schalke at this stage of the Champions League last year. We should also have new youth and training facilities by the time the league season gets underway, too. On to transfer news then.

Leaving the club was one of the last two survivors from our promotion year, winger Dzmitriy Rekish. His contract expired and as I'm short of free spots for foreign players, he simply had to go. Also leaving was winger Mohammed Elyounoussi for £210,000. He was my third choice to play on either flank, but I simply couldn't give him the game time he was looking for. Full back Ramon Henriksen was the next to go on a free as he never quite cut it at the club, and then lastly a complete surprise - defender Charuto had seven clubs chasing him and while I had no plans to sell him, when Terek offered us £8m I simply couldn't refuse. A ridiculous sum of money for a player I signed for nothing.

idzc.png

Players in

Roberto Wolff The young goalkeeper cost us a huge £2m and becomes our record signing, but I'm hoping he'll be our number 1 for years to come. Unfortunately he was injured when he arrived so he won't play until July, but he does look to be a pretty solid signing.

Tarjei Wichstrom Nielson: No graphic for this youngster, he's not great but my DoF signed him on a free to boost our youth team. No complaints from me.

Edgardo Caivano This is the signing of the summer. The young central defender looks to be an absolute beast and with plenty of match time he should improve too. A steal for £1.3m

Stanley Adesina The young Nigerian comes in to replace Charuto, although as he's 19 he can't become home-grown, which means he's probably a short term signing. Still, he improves us and as most of the squad speak English he should settle fairly easily.

Arriving in February

Ronaldo The young Brazilian is another who'll just slot into the youth team this year, but I'm hoping we'll see him in the first team squad in the next couple of years.

Arriving in July

Nicolas Sarraute Another youngster arriving on a free gives us another potential option for left back. If he develops he could be a useful addition, but for a free I can't complain.

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Last 16

1st Leg: Juventus 2-2 Bodø/Glimt

A really open first leg sees us come away from Italy with a wonderful result and two away goals. We conceded early on after a mazy run through the middle, but we were able to respond quickly. Sergio's free kick was nodded against the post by Sandsund, and Torres tapped home the rebound. In the second half we grabbed another from a set piece, as Sergio went for goal and struck the post directly himself, and Sandsund this time slotted home. Juve got a deserved leveller, but we're well set for the second leg in three weeks.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Juventus

Sadly we lost four key players to injury before this game, which included Dario Torres. No matter, the team selected performed like lions and we're through to the quarter final. Dag Even Sandsund grabbed the goal with a bizarre header to a long ball over the top. A special mention for Norwegian international Hakon Koppervik though, who was a colossus in defence.

0zqh.png

Cheers lads. I'm not convinced we have what it takes to beat United though - they've won it the last three years running!

And yeah, Juve are still very much on top in Italy. They've won four titles in the last 8 years & the Champions League in 2017... so it was definitely a great achievement.

March

TL: Bodø/Glimt 4-0 Brann

A great start against one of the strongest clubs in the league. We were excellent from 1-11, and after Paulo Sergio curled a peach of a free kick into the top corner to put us in front we ran riot. Sandsund smashed a penalty home after half time, and then Anderson slotted home soon after for 3-0. Jacobsen sealed it in stoppage time.

TL: Vålerenga 1-2 Bodø/Glimt

Another early test, and after a week of comments in the press between the two managers, it was a feisty affair. Sandsund grabbed his second league goal of the season after 10 minutes to put us in front, and Segio rounded off a great team move to make it two on the hour. We conceded a soft goal late on, but three valuable points.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Start

Another excellent home performance. We were in front thanks to a rocket from Kleiva before Torres marked his first appearance of the season with a diving header. Kleiva scored a great individual effort to make it three before a late header pulled one back.

0sme.png

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Quarter Final

1st Leg: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Manchester United

Err, what? What is going on? I cannot believe what I've just witnessed, I celebrated this result like it was a real game! We were simply magnificent, although we rode our luck in the first twenty minutes. Paulo Sergio put us in front after half an hour, latching on to a Torres through ball and smashing under De Gea. Things stayed that way until the 75th minute, United gave the ball away in midfield and Jacobsen found Sandsund, who raced clear and slotted home. Things got even better with five minutes to play as Kleiva's corner was only half cleared, Jacobsen found Kleiva out wide who put in a first time cross for Sandsund to grab his second of the game. Unbelievable.

2nd Leg: Manchester United 3-1 Bodø/Glimt

I expected United to be relentless in the second leg, and they didn't disappoint. Wave after wave of United attacks, but they didn't score until we'd played an hour. I tried to sit in, and Torres capitalised on a slip up to level the score on the night after 75 minutes, but United weren't done. They were in front again with 5 minutes left, and 90 seconds later it was 3-1. However, they couldn't get the two more they needed... and somehow we're through.

vi76.png

See?? SEE??? I had faith!!!

So you did. I'm still completely blown away by it - and we beat City last year, so.......

Wow!

Some amazing results there mate!

Seems like another tough draw but I guess there are no easy games left at that stage. Who were the other teams you could have got?

Yeah, some rather strange results! It would seem this little club are definitely going places. And I can't remember for certain, but I think it was BVB and Chelsea.

Amazing CL run so far,another tough draw but I think it's too be expected now your in the semi finals :D

Yeah, it'd be odd if I had Yeovil or something ;o)

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Semi Final

1st Leg: Manchester City 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

What's the one piece of news you don't want to hear on the morning of the biggest game in your club's history? Yes, that's right, the news that BOTH of your Norwegian international central defenders got injured in training, and that they will miss BOTH legs of the semi final. That meant me having to play 19 year old Edgardo Caivano and 18 year old Luka Plazonic in the heart of defence. Both players performed like lions, as did Borger Thomas behind them. City registered 29 shots on goal and had 68% of the ball, but it was us who went in front on the stroke of half time. Paulo Sergio picked out Dag Even Sandsund with a cross from the left, and his cushioned header fell into the path of Victor who smashed home. Delirium. In the second half, City battered us but our young side held firm until the 75th minute, when a blistering free kick found it's way past Thomas. An outstanding display.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 1-4 Manchester City

Gutted isn't the word. One step too far, but it rankles a little that the tie was decided by the referee. City started brightly and were in front on 5 minutes, but at 1-0 I knew we didn't have to chase it - just stay tight and take one of our chances. Sadly, a very poor penalty decision robbed us of that tactic, and so when Aguero struck home City's second from the spot on half time, I had to go for it. We changed from a 4-1-2-2-1 to a version of 4-2-4, and were briefly back in it through Sandsund. City weren't finished though, and two more pieces of Aguero magic put us down and out in the final 10 minutes. Our hearts were broken, the fairytale had come to an end.

April

TL: Strømsgodset 4-0 Bodø/Glimt

This game fell directly between the two Man United games, and so I had to play a considerably weaker side than I would have liked. It was an appalling display against one of the best sides in the league.

TL: Haugesund 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

A much stronger display against a side struggling towards the bottom. Linseth and Victor both grabbed their first goals of the season to seal the points.

TL: Byrne 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

Our third away game saw another comfortable win, with Lindseth grabbing two and Torres the other.

TL: Lillestrøm 1-0 Bodø/Glimt

This fell just 48 hours after the first leg of the City tie (thanks for that, Norwegian FA) and were just so tired. Very difficult to complain about the result.

8ptl.png

What a fantastic run that was and you did it the hardest way possible playing huge clubs. Shame it's hit your league form a bit but I think that'll turn out alright come the end of the season

A couple of days later it still stings a bit, but I've got to be happy with that run. Knocking some huge clubs out on the way to the semi final is going to have a pretty handy effect on our coefficient rating too.

Unlucky! All the way next year!!

Fingers crossed, man.

May

Norwegian Cup first round: Tromsdalen 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

An excellent way to put the disappointment of the City defeat behind us. We progressed thanks to Victor, Kassi and Lindseth

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Ull/Kisa

Another solid win sees us go up to second in the league. Goals from Kleiva, Torres and typical Sergio free kick.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Sandefjord

The goals keep coming, and another clean sheet makes it even sweeter. Michael Hansen finally put us in front after an hour, before Victor and Sandsund made it safe.

Norwegian Cup second round: Harstad 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

Lindseth, Torres and Hansen see us safely into round three.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Rosenborg

A real test, yet another really solid performance from the team. Dario Torres hammered us in front before Caivano scored his first ever goal for us with a close range header. Lindseth put the icing on the cake late on.

TL: Sogndal 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

Delighted with our form, and we kept up the current run thanks to Sergio and a late Victor tap in.

Norwegian Cup third round: Tonsberg 0-7 Bodø/Glimt

A perfect performance against a semi-pro side, and we're into the last 16. Gluhak celebrated his new contract with a double, Torres got two more, Caivano grabbed his second this month before Sandsund and Lindseth finished it off late on.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 4-0 Stabæk

The month rounded off in fine style. Torres, Victor, Sandsund and Jacobsen see us go clear at the top of the table.

17ej.png

June

TL: Bodø/Glimt 4-0 Aalesund

Our excellent home form continues, and we simply blew Aalesund away. Two from Torres, one from Valsvik and another Paulo Sergio free kick.

Norwegian Cup fourth round: Bodø/Glimt 3-2 Vålerenga

The top two meet in the cup, and it was a proper cup tie. They went in front early on before Torres raced through the middle to slot home the equaliser. The same player put us in front soon after, flicking home a Sergio cross from the left, but the visitors levelled after an hour after some sloppy defending. Torres won it for us though with 15 to play, Valsvik's header from a corner bounced off the foot of the post, and there was Torres to smash home his hat-trick and see us through.

v47k.png

One more place, then it's an extra CL spot!

Yeah, that will certainly help the league.... fingers crossed for another decent run.

That was amazing in the CL, pity Man City were a step too far this time.

Cheers, man. Yeah, they were just too good this time... but after beating the likes of United, Juventus and Liverpool I'm confident we can give most sides a tough test in future.

I've not got time to do my normal mid-season update at the moment, but I do have a bit of news I thought I'd share.

I've decided to spend a bit of the money we earned from our Champions League run, so we've spent just over £3m on three new arrivals.

daas.png

I've been chasing John Wold for three years, and he's finally signed. Delighted with this deal.

h6j7.png

I'm still not convinced by my left back options, so bringing in Dentuco should solve that issue.

i101.png

I'm looking to find a system that allows me to use a holding midfielder in away games in Europe, so now I have a great option for that role.

Good news about the European rankings and what a great run of not conceeding in the league too! :)

Cheers, man. That back line should become even better with the new additions too, so we're looking pretty good defensively.

Archived