The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

a5hz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season preview 2018

Media expectation: 1st (of 16)

Board expectation: win the title

Transfer budget: (remaining) £1.2m

Wage budget: £61,000p/w (£16,000p/w under budget)

Another winter is nearly over, which means the new season is almost upon us. It is quite strange having a substantial transfer budget this year, although in fairness that's generous of the board, especially with their increased expectation for the new season. I genuinely believe we have every chance of walking off with the trophy for a third time in a row as this squad is only going to get better, but with previous financial issues fresh in my memory, you'll understand why I've kept my wallet in my pocket.

It is a little odd that our first game of the new season is the Europa League tie from last season, but it's a quirk I'll get used to as time goes on I suppose. I only have another couple of months to wait for the new training and youth facilities to be upgraded - which is wonderful news - but I'm still waiting on an announcement on the stadium. The ticket office expect another climb in season ticket sales this year, taking us as high as 6,000, so it must be a matter of time.

It's been an interesting winter as far as transfers are concerned. Alexander Sorloth decided he wanted a move to a bigger club, and so I didn't want to stand in his way and immediately listed him. I accepted an offer of £300,000 - double what I paid - only for him to turn it down. However, with his lax attitude in training, his stats have all slipped and I want him gone. He's still hanging around in my reserves, but I'm hoping I'll be shot of him by the time the window shuts. Also leaving the club is Martin Cortes, my back-up left back, who couldn't settle in Norway. He leaves for £35,000 - more than double what we paid for him, while Bogdan Milic and a couple of others leave on a free. The other man out the door was goalkeeper Lars Cramer. Despite being signed as a back-up, he wasn't happy and so I got him out the door for £10,000. All in all I'm relatively pleased with the players I've been able to get out of the club this year.

hhnf.png

Players in

This is a little deceptive as I have a couple of new arrivals scheduled for July, but here goes:

Juanito The Brazilian striker looks incredible for this level, and so if he settles in I'm expecting 20 goals from him at least.

Einar Olsen Olsen is one for the future. He arrives on a free from local rivals Tromso - and will likely be loaned straight out again this season.

Mohamed Salah Gharbi Gharbi arrives as our final non-home grown player, and he's delighted with his back-up slot. A bargain on a free, and genuine competition between the sticks.

Nikica Ivancic The young Croatian joins us in July and will probably be another who is loaned straight out. A good talent though.

Pavel Norvik Another gifted youngster, Norvik cost us £100,000 but my scout is thrilled by this signing. Hopefully he'll be as effective as our other Belarusian.

Youth academy prospects

Dag Even Sandsund Trying not to get too excited about this prospect. That's trying, not succeeding! The 17 year old only arrived at the club in October, but he's already in the first team squad for this season. Fellow young striker Marius Steene only misses out as I have so many options up front - so he's instead gone out on loan to Pors.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sandsund sure looks a fine prospect, where are you thinking of playing him? looks a nice fit for a DM but with those aerial abilities wouldn't mind him as a target man either

I'm planning on using him as a striker, I think. With Gundersen's career winding down I need another option as a target man, so I'm hoping Sandsund fits the bill. He's improved dramatically since he arrived, so hopefully the upgraded facilities - and a little bit of action with the first team - will continue that process.

jpz.png

europaleaguelogo.jpg

UEFA Europa League- Last 32

1st Leg: Bodø/Glimt 4-1 GNK Dinamo

Wow, no idea where this came from. My squad was a long way from match-fitness, but we were magnificent. Djerson Felix, Juanito, Laurrieu and Nordberg with the goals that give us a great chance of progression.

2nd Leg: GNK Dinamo 3-2 Bodø/Glimt

A double from Juanito took the pressure off in Croatia, although he picked up a little knock which denied him a hat-trick. Still, delighted to progress.

2ldt.png

europaleaguelogo.jpg

UEFA Europa League- Last 16

1st Leg: Rubin 2-0 Bodø/Glimt

My expectations for this tie were exactly zero, so this wasn't a big surprise. We were unlucky not to grab an away goal, but we still played pretty well.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Rubin

A great effort in the second leg, but it just wasn't to be. Two more goals from Juanito, but a red card for Boge really turned the game.

Good effort in Europe, no shame in going out to a team from a far superior league

It was a little disappointing as we played so well up to the red card, but it's been a decent year for us in Europe. Hopefully we can do something similar this year.

March

TL: Bodø/Glimt 4-2 Odd

A great opening game of the season. Djerson Felix, Rekish and a double from Juanito secured the points.

TL: Tromsø 0-0 Bodø/Glimt

Not a great display in the Slaget om Nord-Norge derby, but we had to play an hour with 10 men after Rekish was sent off. A decent point under the circumstances.

April

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-2 Start

An excellent first half, and a dreadful second. Still, three more points thanks to Boge and Juanito (2).

TL: Sarpsborg 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

A totally dominant performance, although we should have scored more than two. Larrieu and Rekish with the goals.

19ml.png

Not quite what I was hoping for, but it's a start...

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Ull/Kisa

Tronstad and Meyer Carlos ensured this was fairly routine, but we did lose Juanito to a red card after a pair of dives...

TL: Vålerenga 1-0 Bodø/Glimt

A very painful defeat, we simply didn't perform and we weren't helped but Gundersen's red card - our fourth of the season already!

TL: Bodø/Glimt 6-0 Lillestrøm

A much-improved performance after the defeat the week before - and on my birthday too! Meyer Carlos bagged a hat-trick, Juanito and Tronstad also found the back of the net, but the best goal of the day was scored by young striker Sandsund. I brought him on for his home debut with 20 minutes to play, and he found the net straight away. Lovely stuff.

x4ik.png

Oh, if anybody is interested, AGF got promoted without me, but FC Kobenhavn won their 6th consecutive championship. I really will have to have a go at ending that somewhere down the line - although I'm not going anywhere just yet.

May

Norwegian Cup first round: Tromsdalen 1-2 Bodø/Glimt

Not the greatest display in the cup as I'd made 10 changes for the game, but Gundersen and Sandsund send us safely through.

TL: Brann 1-2 Bodø/Glimt

Once again we trailed at half time after a pretty poor display, but a second half double from Juanito secured the points.

Norwegian Cup second round: Bjornevatn 1-4 Bodø/Glimt

A very solid performance here sees us safely through. Gundersen, Meyer Carlos, Henriksen and an OG see us in the hat for the third round.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Sogndal

A solid enough home win thanks to Rekish and Meyer Carlos.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Staeback

A mediocre display, but I'll take the points. Nymark with the goal just after half time.

Norwegian Cup third round: Hønefoss 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

We're winning games while playing poorly at the moment, but I can't quite work out why we're not quite performing. Meyer Carlos put us safely into the next round with a double.

dj0m.png

June

TL: Rosenborg 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

Another very average performance, but a more than decent point against a club who should be challenging come the Autumn. Luc Kassi with our goal 10 minutes from time.

gqzn.png

TL: Aalesund 2-2 Bodø/Glimt

Wow, so close to another defeat here. While I can't seem to improve our performances at the moment, we're at least difficult to beat. Juanito and Jacobsen with the goals.

TL: Strømsgodset 1-2 Bodø/Glimt

Another average display, but two goals in the final eight minutes secured a huge win heading in to a three week summer break. Rekish and Gundersen with the goals.

3xu5.png

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt

2018 mid season report

An intriguing year so far then. Of course I'm delighted with us being top of the league, still in the cup (and I'd like to think we have the strongest squad in the league to boot) but we're in a strange run right at this time, so I feel it's almost inevitable our luck will run out soon. I've been really pleased with Juanito and the other new signings, and although Juanito has been dreadful the last few weeks, he's already scored 13 goals in 17 games. My new number 2 keeper Mohamed Salah Gharbi has been a really good addition too, and remember Sondre Tronstad, who I signed on a free as a youngster in my first season? He's just made his 100th league appearance for the club. Always love seeing young players make a major impact.

Away from the pitch, thanks to our run in Europe our financial situation is much healthier this year. At the end of the Champions League season we received another £4m or so, which I'm hoping can be used to upgrade our facilities once again. It should also ensure that the board don't cancel the stadium expansion, which is due at the start of next season.

Not much else to report, so I'll crack on...

jb34.png

t99m.png

5fty.png

Going very well again and a nice jump in the European rankings. Are you not a little disappointed it was not greeted with going up to the 3rd qualification round as well?

Cheers man, a decent start to the new season. And nah, not really. It was only my first season in the group stages, and we've not really seen much progress from the other clubs so I'm quite happy with what we have so far. Maybe in a couple of years we'll get a bit closer to less qualifying rounds.

Doing your best in Europe to get the division and yourselves a better rank, another good season could get you a later qualifying round with any luck.

I thought Juanito would be getting quite a few for you by now, looks really good for that division. Dag Even Sandsund looks like he could be a star for you :thup:

Doing your best in Europe to get the division and yourselves a better rank, another good season could get you a later qualifying round with any luck.

I thought Juanito would be getting quite a few for you by now, looks really good for that division. Dag Even Sandsund looks like he could be a star for you :thup:

Fingers crossed you're right about Europe, fella. And yeah, Juanito has made a decent start, although he's quite inconsistent right now. As for Sandsund, I'm gently introducing him to the side and he's not let us down yet, so hopefully he'll continue developing.

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- 2nd qualifying round

1st Leg: Bodø/Glimt 6-0 Valletta

An excellent first leg against the Maltese champions. Sandsund, in for the injured Meyer Carlos, grabbed a hat-trick and Juanito scored twice, while Gluhak put the icing on the cake late on.

2nd Leg: Valletta 0-5 Bodø/Glimt

A very handy second leg display too. Gundersen bagged four here in a rare appearance, while Tronstad celebrated signing a new contract with a goal.

69xb.png

July

Norwegian Cup Fourth Round: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Haugesund

An excellent display sees us safely through. Goals from Juanito and a first ever strike from winger Simen Kleiva.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Haugesund

Seven days later we met again in the league, and once again we were the better side. Goals from Gundersen and Valsvik secured the points.

TL: Molde 0-0 Bodø/Glimt

Not a classic as the top two clashed, but a point I'm very pleased with.

TL: Odd 2-3 Bodø/Glimt

A real end to end affair which we just about edged. Goals from Juanito early on and a Sandsund double kept up our unbeaten run.

TL: Start 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

An excellent performance, although a costly one. Striker Juanito picked up a knock which will rule him out of the Champions League tie against Swiss champions Luzern, which is a huge blow. He'd found the net before that though, and late on Jo Sondre Aas scored his first competitive goal for 18 months!

7xl1.png

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- 3rd qualifying round

1st Leg: Luzern 1-4 Bodø/Glimt

I was worried about this game with both of our first two strikers both injured, but we were brilliant. Larrieu grabbed a couple after Gundersen had put us in front early on, and Sandsund sealed a wonderful display late on.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Luzern

Another fine display sees us safely into the play offs for a second year in a row. Goals from Jacobsen, our goalkeeper Borger Thomas from the penalty spot, and Sandsund.

d86h.png

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Play Offs

1st Leg: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Rapid Wien

An outstanding first leg against the Austrians gives us a great chance of progression. Goals from Meyer Carlos and a double from the returning Juanito.

2nd Leg: Rapid Wien 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

An efficient second leg display sees us into the group stages for a second successive year. Valsvik, still needing an injection to play, powered home a header from a corner to level the scores on the night and see us through.

c0qt.png

0rtv.png

1ci.png

August

TL: Bodø/Glimt 0-0 Tromso

A disappointing display in the derby, but my mind was on Europe for this game and so I made plenty of changes. No complaints at a point.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Sarpsborg

We did just enough in this one. Tore Andreas Gundersen marking his 150th appearance with a goal - his 96th league goal for the club, and his 10th of the season.

Norwegian Cup Quarter Final: Viking 1-0 Bodø/Glimt

A really disappointing display in the cup sees us crash out to lower-league competition for the third time in my tenure. Disappointing, but the third competition in my list of priorities.

TL: Ull/Kisa 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

This was a result that was earned by our defensive 5. We were short in numbers but defended brilliantly, with youngster Sandsund grabbing a thumping header on the break.

lhmo.png

As tough a group as can be expected. You'll do a good job to make it into Europa again, good luck!

Yeah, it's not the easiest, but it could have been much worse. My target is to simply win a game, and anything else is a bonus. I can't see 4 points being enough for the Europa League again this year - surely nobody will be quite as poor as Milan were last year!

You guys are flying again in the league and great job on qualifying for the CL group stages so comfortably but yeah, that's a bloody tough group. Best of luck though and the club should really be moving forward with the prize money and upgrading you are doing. You'll be a force domestically for a few years to come and hopefully you can make some progress in Europe too. :)

Great thread!

Tough group there on paper but CSKA are a good bet to pick points from to give you a chance of the Europa, also on FM13 Schalke always seemed to be a bit rubbish in the CL so I wouldn't write myself off if I were you.

Definitely in with a chance Dexter, but I'm happy to just enjoy the ride this year.

Sod's law I need a few days off of this just as it's getting exciting. I'm already planning for next season though with that Champions League money, so there's been a little bit of transfer activity I'll have to update you on - and potentially big decisions on the future of two players who've been with us since the first transfer window of my career.

I also thought I'd share my current transfer policy. For anybody who hasn't played in this part of the world, you're limited to 9 "foreign" players in your 25 man squad, although non-Norwegians who were trained for three years between the ages of 15-21 in Norway class as "home grown" and so don't count to that foreign quota. Conversely, Norwegians who started their career outside of Norway around that time can count towards that foreign count! Confused? It caught me by surprise early on, I must admit... "bbbut he's Norwegian, how can he be foreign??"

Anyway, I've adopted a sliding scale policy over my transfer targets these last few seasons.

• Firstly I try to find Norwegians, and if I can't identify some quality I'll look for home-grown players.

• If that fails, my current policy is to sign brilliant 17-18 year olds and loan them out to my feeder club to allow them to develop, and then bring them back when I have a foreign spot free or when they've been a part of the club long enough to have become home-grown. It's a long-term policy, but providing they play regular football at a reasonable standard they still develop, so it certainly helps.

• Finally, I'd just sign top class foreign players, like Djerson Felix or Juanito. That does make things a little tricky, but when they're as good as those two how can you not?

See you all in a few days.

Conversely, Norwegians who started their career outside of Norway around that time can count towards that foreign count! Confused? It caught me by surprise early on, I must admit... "bbbut he's Norwegian, how can he be foreign??"

I know, Norway has been a fairly regular destination for me in the past few years, including a few Premier Division clubs even though not for a couple of years. That really used to annoy me, especially given it made getting in young players rather difficult given the limited registration places.

I know, Norway has been a fairly regular destination for me in the past few years, including a few Premier Division clubs even though not for a couple of years. That really used to annoy me, especially given it made getting in young players rather difficult given the limited registration places.

I can imagine it's more frustrating down the pyramid than it is when in the top tier with a/ several feeder clubs. It's a leap of faith though loaning new youngsters out as there's very little you can do about their training when they're away from the club, so I'm certainly expecting a few to fail.

Transfer update

As promised, I've a brief update about transfers before I go on. I have no real depth at all at right back, and although Jesper Boge is very reliable there, he is easily the weakest of my foreign contingent. He'll be 29 at the start of next season, with two youngsters who came through our youth system acting as his understudy.

You may recall that Boge was my first signing at the club, he's now approaching his 150th league appearance for the club, and if it wasn't for the fact he is Danish there's no way I'd consider selling him. For the last 18 months I've been looking for a home-grown alternative without any luck, and so I've finally taken the plunge and signed a new foreigner, which sadly means that Boge will have to leave the club in the winter. A real shame, but it's the only way forward when all of my foreign slots are filled.

Having said that, I'm really excited about the player who's coming in to replace him. I've had to smash my transfer record to smithereens in order to get Portuguese youngster Jose Manuel Norinho - he'll cost us £750,000 although only £400,000 of that will be paid up front to his club (our current record is just £300,000) - but he's already at a similar level to Boge according to my scouts, and with the Brazilian contingent at the club he should settle in relatively quickly. I'd also like to think that we'll make a decent chunk of that back when I transfer list Boge at the end of the season. Here's the new arrival, anyway:

49ig.png

I'm also considering the future of winger Dzmitriy Rekish. He's been outstanding for us, but he's another who's approaching 30 and I'd expect to be on the decline very soon. I've identified two possible targets to replace him, and while one would require a fee in excess of £500,000, the other is available on a free and is probably as good as Rekish is now, with the potential to become even better. Both options would probably improve us, but after nearly 6 years it would be a real blow to lose not just one but two of our key players.

The latest arrival to be loaned out is South African left back Clement Motaung. He's just 17, but I definitely see potential there and so I couldn't resist signing him on a free. I had hoped to pick up a Swiss holding midfield player too, but he chose to stay in his homeland. A shame, but not a huge issue.

sxwb.png

Right, I'll ponder those decisions, but on we go...

So this is what I'm pondering. This is my current option on the left:

puvn.png

And here's who I'm considering signing to replace him:

fa7x.png

I've agreed a fee of £350,000 with another £350,000 to follow over the next 4 years, but I can only have one or the other.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

September

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Vålerenga

A solid enough display sees us pick up three more points - and ensure Vålerenga's manager is looking for a new job. Goals from Jacobsen, Juanito and Meyer Carlos.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 0-3 Brann

No idea where this performance came from, but we weren't at the races and got what we deserved.

Champions League Group C: Schalke 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

Thrilled with a point in Germany. Schalke were largely the better side, but Meyer Carlos grabbed a precious leveller 10 minutes from time.

TL: Sogndal 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

Gundersen, Juanito and Meyer Carlos with the goals against the bottom-placed side.

TL: Lillestrøm 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

Average at best, this display. Meyer Carlos at least ensured we took a point from the game.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-1 Strømsgodset

More dropped points to finish what has been a frustrating month in the league. Gundersen put us in front early on, but we couldn't add to it - and I even got a touchline ban for my post-match comments.

0ai0.png

Archived