The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

May

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Sarpsborg

A tight, competitive encounter, but we just about had enough. Substitutes Viljar Nordberg and Meyer Carlos with the goals which took us back to the top of the table.

Norwegian Cup 1st Round: Lofoten 0-5 Bodø/Glimt

An excellent performance in the cup sees us sail through safely. Goals from Jacobsen, Rekish, Gundersen and a brace from Charuto.

TL: Rosenborg 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

An excellent performance. Gundersen grabbed the goal, but it was the back four who were the heroes. A magnificent display.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Start

A long way from perfect, but good enough. Koppervik and Rekish with the goals.

Norwegian Cup 2nd Round: Tromsdalen 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

A double from Meyer Carlos and another from Nordberg puts us safely into the third round.

TL: Molde 5-1 Bodø/Glimt

Nothing short of a disgrace. No fewer than SIX players were fined for their shocking performances - I have no idea where this result came from! Nymark scored late on, but we were 3-0 down after 7 minutes!

uu02.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-1 Staeback

We seem to have a set-piece problem at the moment, as well as two or three players who aren't pulling their weight. Sorloth put us in front early on, but we conceded from a set piece with 15 minutes to play after missing so many chances of our own.

Norwegian Cup 3rd Round: Viking 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

We changed our shape after the two previous poor performances, switching from 4-4-2 to a 4-3-2-1, and it seemed to do the trick. Gundersen had us in front early on and we were much more solid defensively too.

TL: Viking 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

That change of system seems to have worked a treat. We were magnificent in this game, with goals from Boge, Rekish and a first ever strike from Robert Gluhak.

t3r2.png

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt

2017 mid season report

Another solid start to the season sees us leading the way at the top of the league once more. We've suffered a couple of shocking defeats - especially that defeat at Molde a few league games ago - but overall I'm really pleased with how things are going on the pitch. Of course, much like every season we're still struggling financially and right now we're £1m in the red, and that's before you consider the £3.8m we owe in bank loans. Indeed, we're probably in a worse position under this chairman than we were with the last.

As a result I've also had to sell one of our first team regulars this transfer window, much like in the summers gone by. We only made £300,000 on the sale of Jannick Hansen, but I considered it to be a good deal as he was one of our top earners too. I was quite happy to settle with the options I had out on the right, but my scouts recommended another youngster:

0jgb.png

Not bad at all on a free, and although I'm paying him the same wage I was with Hansen, he's got potential to be a super star for us - and he arrives as our best winger instantly. I'm also considering encouraging an offer for Jo Sondre Aas as he's slipped to my fourth choice striker and I'm now only playing one up top. Decisions, decisions.

rfwu.png

July

Norwegian Cup 4th Round: Haugesund 2-0 Bodø/Glimt

Does anybody have a phone I can borrow, as we've just been mugged. Dominated the game, yet two goals from one of my former players Amar Khalili finally knocked the cup from our grasp.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Strømsgodset

An excellent display against one of our title rivals, and we even managed to miss a penalty. Sorloth and Kassi with the goals.

TL: Ull/Kisa 1-0 Bodø/Glimt

Simply not good enough against the strugglers. Something's not quite right at the moment.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-1 Sogndal

Another really poor display. Gundersen at least got us a point, but we're just awful right now.

TL: Lillestrøm 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

Really happy with this victory. An excellent defensive display and we took the best chance which came our way through Meyer Carlos.

hedn.png

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- 2nd qualifying round

1st Leg: Skonto 1-4 Bodø/Glimt

An excellent first leg in Latvia. Sorloth, Tronstad, Rekish and an OG have us in a great position to progress.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Skonto

Easy as you like. Sorloth with 2 and Nordberg with the other.

xtui.png

I did have a sneaky feeling you'd stay put and see how things go with a title defence and CL football.

You got a couple of nice draws in terms of opponents :) hopefully you can make it through to the league stages and see what that injection of cash does for club finances. The title defence looks to have started well too and I guess the more success you have in Norway, the bigger job offers will come from abroad... Or, you may never really need to move at all. ;)

I did have a sneaky feeling you'd stay put and see how things go with a title defence and CL football.

You got a couple of nice draws in terms of opponents :) hopefully you can make it through to the league stages and see what that injection of cash does for club finances. The title defence looks to have started well too and I guess the more success you have in Norway, the bigger job offers will come from abroad... Or, you may never really need to move at all. ;)

I'll move at some point, I suspect. Not to a "big" club as such, but a "bigger" one if I get to a point where I'm dominating Norway. After all, European success with Bodø/Glimt is just qualifying or maybe making the knock out stages of the Europa League. AGF appealed at the time as I see no reason why I couldn't win the Europa League or push on in the Champions League with a club of their size.

But yeah, fingers crossed I can squeeze past Sparta.

having another fine season, best of luck making the group stages, will be a toughy though. Got to say I am a little surprised you stayed as you've proven yourself in Norway and have overachieved. Still good to see you managing to keep ahead of the bigger clubs there despite the loss to Molde

having another fine season, best of luck making the group stages, will be a toughy though. Got to say I am a little surprised you stayed as you've proven yourself in Norway and have overachieved. Still good to see you managing to keep ahead of the bigger clubs there despite the loss to Molde

Yeah, I was torn over what to do as AGF looked like a great move. That being said there was still a bit of work to do in Norway - we'd only won one league title and hadn't qualified for Europe/ upgraded our facilities/ extended the stadium yet. Basically, I don't want to leave until we're the top club in Norway, I think.

That may change if the right job comes up, mind...

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- 3rd qualifying round

1st Leg: Sparta Prague 0-0 Bodø/Glimt

We went to the Czech capital looking for a clean sheet, and that's exactly what we got. Disappointed we didn't grab an away goal, but I can't complain at our performance.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Sparta Prague

A wonderful performance in the second leg ensures we'll have some kind of European football this year. Sorloth, Gluhak and Meyer Carlos with the goals.

ihf0.png

Congrats with six extra European games. Hopefully it will be CL, that gives you the money to get somewhere with Bodo! Good luck against the Danish power!

Fingers crossed. The Europa League wouldn't have a major impact on our finances as we're unlikely to get very far, but the Champions League would completely change our situation. IF we can make it I'd ask the board to spend it all on infrastructure and hope there was enough left over for me to avoid having to sell another top player this year.

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Play Offs

1st Leg: FC Kobenhavn 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

Really pleased with our display in the first leg, it gives us a great chance of progression. Rekish put us in front just before half time, and although we conceded with 20 minutes to play I'm chuffed to bits.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 0-0 FC Kobenhavn

How this game finished 0-0 I'll never know, but I'm delighted it did. We defended magnificently and probably should have won it, but I'll take going through on away goals any day of the week.

August

TL: Brann 0-0 Bodø/Glimt

Not the perfect display, but I'll take it. We were excellent defensively, we just couldn't quite break the deadlock.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Aalesund

An excellent display sees Gundersen grab two more and Sorloth get the other. A really good performance.

TL: Vålerenga 2-1 Bodø/Glimt

Fuming. Despite Larrieu putting us in front early on, we conceded two dreadful goals thanks to individual errors in the last 10 minutes to come away with nothing.

lcxh.png

Well done on beating Sparta, Copenhagen will be tough though.
Oh my Juanito looks a cracker, will be tearing it up in Norway.

Good luck against FCK!

It was very tough, but we got it done.... and yeah, if Juanito settles he'll be unplayable I think.

September

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Byrne

Another excellent home display here, with Alexander Sorloth grabbing a double. Meyer Carlos got the other, running half the length of the field and drilling home from 18 yards.

TL: Sarpsborg 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

Another great display sees us go 10 points clear at the top. Sorloth, Rekish and Gundersen with the goals.

Champions League Group G: Valencia 3-1 Bodø/Glimt

Well, that's one down.... Gundersen with the goal, but we were massively outclassed.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-1 Rosenborg

Our turn to do the outclassing. Gundersen had his best game of the season and grabbed a double, while Meyer Carlos grabbed the other.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Molde

Not exactly emphatic, but I'll take it. A first-ever goal from Djerson Felix on the hour secured three more precious points.

gajw.png

Wooo! Congrats on geeting through mate and look at all that dosh!

Nightmare draw though but you're flying in the league. Still, even if you struggle to get through I guess making the group stages should boost the Norwegian coefficients or whatever for future campaigns?

Wooo! Congrats on getting through mate and look at all that dosh!

Nightmare draw though but you're flying in the league. Still, even if you struggle to get through I guess making the group stages should boost the Norwegian coefficients or whatever for future campaigns?

Cheers, Dave. Delighted we got through - we've become only the second club to make the group stages since I've been in Norway, so we're doing the coefficient a world of good whatever happens in the group. And yeah, we're looking good for the league again, but I'm already thinking about next year. I could do with finding some more "home-trained" players for next season, but I'm struggling to find the type that will improve us.

Given all your financial woes in the past getting all the CL money must make a nice change.

Definitely has made a huge difference, I'm just hoping it's used wisely by the board. I don't really need a lot for transfer fees, so if they spend it all on infrastructure I'll be delighted.

Flying through the seasons and making good progress too. Will be interesting to see what Juanito can do!

I'm really enjoying it at the moment, so any spare moment I have I'm playing. I'm hoping Juanito settles quickly, especially with there being 3 other Brazilians at the club. Long-term I hope he's Gundersen's successor, so if he can get anywhere near what Gundersen has done for the club he's a potential legend in the making...

October

Champions League Group G: Bodø/Glimt 0-2 Bayern

Nothing to see here, folks....

ybtc.png

TL: Start 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

Gundersen scored a hat-trick of headers here to give us a great win

w938.png

(not bad for £40,000, eh?)

TL: Staeback 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

An awful display, but another goal from Gundersen secured the points.

wng1.png

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-2 Viking

Not the greatest title party - we were 2-0 down at half time! Luckily we pulled it back in the final 10 minutes with goals from Koppervik and Sakor. However, we did lose Gundersen for the next two weeks.

Champions League Group G: Bodø/Glimt 3-2 AC Milan

Wow. Just wow. A stunning performance, with Alexander Sorloth the hero. He grabbed a double, and in stoppage time Gluhak drilled home from 18 yards to win it. Unreal.

TL: Strømsgodset 0-3 Bodø/Glimt

Another excellent display, with Meyer Carlos in particular on top form. He bagged a double, while making the other for Nordberg.

tkdg.png

November & December

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Haugesund

Meyer Carlos was on form again here, he grabbed a double to secure three more points.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Ull/Kisa

Not the greatest league finale, but another win thanks to two more from Meyer Carlos.

m5cm.png

Champions League Group G: AC Milan 3-0 Bodø/Glimt

This result doesn't really do the game justice. We were excellent, but conceded from a free kick just before half time, and it stayed that way until the final 10 minutes. We missed some good chances, but in the final stages we went for it - and got caught on the break.

Champions League Group G: Bodø/Glimt 2-2 Valencia

Another excellent display and a well deserved point. Rekish got both of them, which takes us a point ahead of AC Milan and into third...

Champions League Group G: Bayern 2-1 Bodø/Glimt

A hell of an effort in our final game. We were a goal and a man down with 6 minutes to play after losing Nymark to injury, but Gundersen thumped us level from 18 yards... only for our hearts to be broken in stoppage time. Still:

gc3b.png

a5hz.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season summary

League (Tippeligaen)

Media prediction: 4th (of 16)

Finished: Champions

Cups

Norwegian Cup: 4th round

Champions League: Group Stage - 3rd - drop into Europa League.

Top scorers

Tore Andreas Gundersen: 39 appearances (28 starts): 18 goals (14 in the league)

Alexander Sorloth: 28 appearances (22 starts): 15 goals (9 in the league)

Meyer Carlos: 33 appearances (17 starts): 14 goals (11 in the league)

Dzmitriy Rekish: 44 appearances (42 starts): 10 goals (5 in the league)

Positives

Well, what a season that was! I'm still amazed we qualified for the Champions League, but to pick up 4 points is more than I could have ever thought possible, and getting third spot in that group was a great achievement. I'm really pleased to have secured the league title again, and with the board agreeing to upgrade our facilities there's lots to look forward to for next year. I'm also really pleased with most of the new signings from this season, and with Juanito coming in next year it could be a lot of fun.

Concerns

For once, this isn't just about finances. We finish the season with about £3m in the bank, and more to arrive thanks to us dropping in to the Europa League. However, I'm still a little annoyed the board wouldn't agree to extend the stadium (we had 8 sell-outs in the league) and I might have a little issue with wages I need to sort out as players have wanted bigger deals to sign. Away from finances, I've a couple of little concerns: Alexander Sorloth simply isn't improving and is making noises about leaving the club, so I may have to sell him despite his excellence in front of goal Also, Jo Sondre Aas had a shocking season and failed to find the net even once. I'm also conscious that I need to replace my full backs, but I need to find home-grown players for those spots - and so far I'm struggling to uncover the calibre of player I need.

Ambitions

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay at the club, so next year I hope we can win the league again and maybe squeeze into Europe once more.

Surprise of the season

Qualifying for the Champions League - and then still being in Europe after Christmas.

Player of the season

Gustav Valsvik

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 6,307 (v Viking in the league)

Highest attendance: 11,800 - sell out (game played at the home of Molde - (v FC Kobenhavn in the Champions League play off)

Average attendance: 7,209 (7,006 in the league - stadium capacity of 7,352)

Finances

£3,558,978

Good stuff given the quality of opposition in that group.

Cheers, DB. I'd have been happy with a single point, so taking 4 was brilliant. Hopefully we can get through this next round in the Europa League to cap off a great season.

Your own stadium isn't good enough for European matches? Lerkendal is a great stadium btw! Congrats with the second title in a row and the great European achievements!

Bizarrely enough, I was fine to play group games there, I just couldn't play Kobenhavn in the play off or this Europa League tie there. A bit weird, but there you go! And cheers, man.

Archived