The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

You've had some great strikers over the years, torres, what a gun, 139 goals from 175 starts, thats phenomenal! Surprised that he is not in your best 11.

Dario Torres has arguably been my greatest ever FM signing. £450,000 for 151 goals in 190 games, he's been absolutely incredible. Having said that, Gundersen was our original "great" if you like, so it's nice to see him hanging on in there.

It's funny you should mention Torres though....

Torres_sale.png

They made an enquiry the day after I rejected the job - and I expected them to go away when I asked for £20m and a 50% sell on, but that's exactly what they offered. An offer I simply couldn't refuse with Lagiewka desperate for more games, and young Eliassen around too. The fans aren't happy we've let an icon leave, but that's serious money.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical of FM to stitch you up like that. I think you made the right decision selling Torres, especially considering you are thinking of leaving at the end of the season because that kind of money will keep the side competitive for long after you go. Would be a nice little bonus if you can cash in early on the sell on fee too before you leave.

Dario Torres has arguably been my greatest ever FM signing. £450,000 for 151 goals in 190 games, he's been absolutely incredible. Having said that, Gundersen was our original "great" if you like, so it's nice to see him hanging on in there.

It's funny you should mention Torres though....

Torres_sale.png

They made an enquiry the day after I rejected the job - and I expected them to go away when I asked for £20m and a 50% sell on, but that's exactly what they offered. An offer I simply couldn't refuse with Lagiewka desperate for more games, and young Eliassen around too. The fans aren't happy we've let an icon leave, but that's serious money.

God call to sell torres, would of done the same thing. Any idea on where you would like to go next? Maybe another pauper to kings adventure?

Inevitably, we lost Lagiewka to long-term injury almost the day after Torres left the club. Rather than looking for a permanent deal, we've brought this lad in on loan until the end of the season:

Adriano_Paoloni.png

As a target man, would of liked to see the finishing attribute a bit higher, but then again that will depend on how you plan to use him, other than that looks good. How is he going?

I've always been anti-selling but Lagiewka is definitely a player worthy of getting more game time and development so for that reason alone I understand it.

I've always thought that every player has their price, especially those that aren't home grown. Selling players at the right time has allowed our progression, so I've no concerns over this deal.... But Lagiewka's injury hasn't done us any favours!

God call to sell torres, would of done the same thing. Any idea on where you would like to go next? Maybe another pauper to kings adventure?

I've a couple of ideas, but it depends on what jobs come up. Perhaps a job in Italy or Spain's second tier, but I'd quite fancy doing something similar in Denmark too.

As a target man, would of liked to see the finishing attribute a bit higher, but then again that will depend on how you plan to use him, other than that looks good. How is he going?

Sandsund is our target man, so he'll play as a poacher. He's only played once so far, and he scored one and made another. Can't ask for more!

• 2 weeks later...

Well this could have been worse....

CL_Group_24.png

I've also decided to spend a little money for next season. My Portuguese international central defender Joaquin Baros has been making a noise about leaving for a while, so I'll grant his wish at the end of the season. This is his replacement:

AndySalazar.png

He arrives in January, and will cost £3.2m. A steal.

Great find.

Yeah, I'm delighted to have got him for that. I've been tracking him for a while in case I had to sell Baros, so when I noticed he'd been offered a new deal I thought I'd get my offer in, otherwise the price would have gone up dramatically!

What shape is the current squad in? Are you strong in all areas or are there patches that need strengthening? Also, not sure if I missed this or not - apologies if I have - but what formation do you play? Loving the thread btw! :)

Glad you're enjoying it fella.

The squad is in decent shape, so most of the additions I'm making are youth team players or just players for the future. We do have quite a few three star players, but all of them are Norwegian and with the league rules it means I can't do much about it. Having said that, all of them are excellent and I'd happily play any of them against anybody.

My "weakest" area is probably left wing, as although I do have two quality first team options, I have nothing of note in the youngsters. Paulo Sergio is 30 now too, so it's the one area I'm beginning to look at to see what I can find. I have one target in mind, but I'm not prepared to pay the £25m asking price, so I'm looking for alternatives.

6'4 at 16! Gotta wonder what brought him to Norway though...
He's going to be a beast!

Yeah, very confident about his development. I'd like to get him some first team football as soon as possible, too.

BodoGlimtlogo.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season summary

League (Tippeligaen)

Media prediction: 1st (of 16)

Final_table_24.png

Cups

Norwegian Cup: winners

Cup_24_1.png

Cup_24_2.png

Champions League

CL_fixtures_24_1.png

CL_fixtures_24_2.png

Top scorers

Dag Even Sandsund: 40 appearances (36 starts): 38 goals (27 in the league)

Kryzstof Lagiewka: 27 appearances (12 starts): 17 goals (11 in the league)

Dario Torres: 13 appearances (32 starts): 12 goals (9 in the league)

Adriano Paolini: 18 appearances (14 starts): 11 goals (6 in the league)

Positives

Another excellent season on the pitch. Rosenborg stayed on our coattails all season, but in the end we got more points than last season. Very happy to have won another double too. The squad is beginning to take shape for the future, I'm treating it a lot like a chess game and thinking two or three seasons in front - we have a couple of players who are likely to get moved on in order to bring a youngster through next year. Really pleased to have sailed through in Europe, while Dag Even Sandsund continues to break records - his 27 league goals is a new record, as was his 38 in total. Ridiculous! The board have also agreed to upgrade the youth and training facilities too, so everything is coming up Millhouse right now.

Concerns

Not many here, although I'd like to see a higher number of quality youth candidates come through this year!

Ambitions

I'm not planning on going anywhere at the moment, so more of the same is the plan.

Surprise of the season

The 18 assists of Aleksander Ottersen in his first full season. Outstanding.

Player of the season

TBC

Attendances

Lowest attendance - 17,341 v Kvik Halden

Highest attendance - 18,223 v Atletico Madrid (a sell out with restricted capacity)

Average attendance - 17,846 (17,772 in the league)

Finances

£41,010,923

At this rate you'll be getting rid of 23yr olds for being 'too old' :D

With player restrictions and no Norwegian talent coming through, it's as much chess as FM right now! We're going to have an unbelievable side in a couple of years if they develop as expected.

You have managed some truly outstanding results.

That’s a huge stadium you have build in Bodø. Especially for a city with a 50.000 population :)

Yeah, things have gone pretty well, to be fair! As for the stadium, the day the board announced the expansion was complete I asked them to expand it again - and the board agreed! We're looking at a new capacity of 38,800 provisionally...

• 2 weeks later...

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UEFA Champions League- Last 16

1st Leg: Manchester City 1-2 Bodø/Glimt

An excellent first leg sees us leave Manchester with a lead. Dag Even Sandsund put us in front 10 minutes before half time, and then soon after it was 2-0 as Gouano raced onto a loose ball to smash home. City recovered in the second half and pulled one back, but we held firm to give us a great chance of progression.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 2-1 Manchester City

In front of more than 30,000, we continued our excellent home record in Europe. City did get the first goal inside 10 minutes, but a goal in each half from Sandsund sees us safely into the quarter final, where we'll meet Ajax.

Just caught up with the whole career. Absolutely amazing! Any thoughts of leaving Norway if you the CL again?

Cheers, man. Barely had any time to play FM in the last few weeks, with work and the baby keeping me busy, but I have made it to another CL final. I think I'll probably play that game and then bring this thread to a close.

Probably a good idea.

Yep, I'll probably use the mini update thread as the career goes on. I'm still planning on continuing - in Norway or elsewhere - but I can't give FM enough time to keep this thread going.

Still, it's been great while it lasted.

Found this thread yesterday, and enjoyed every bit of it. Helped me to take my thoughts away from the huge flood threat in my city.

I have won CL with many small teams, yet stories like these never cease to amaze me. The reason why we all play FM, I guess.

Found this thread yesterday, and enjoyed every bit of it. Helped me to take my thoughts away from the huge flood threat in my city.

I have won CL with many small teams, yet stories like these never cease to amaze me. The reason why we all play FM, I guess.

Sorry to hear about the flood threat, fella. Hope it all works out for you.

I'm glad you've enjoyed it, I've had a lot of fun playing in Norway. Turning both the club and the league into credible European forces has been really rewarding. And yes, FM for me is all about turning small clubs into big ones... I get no satisfaction at all from essentially recreating real life at big clubs. Sure, I know we all play different careers, but FM for me is as much about escapism as it is a game. There's no escapism at all in playing at Manchester United, Juventus, Barcelona etc...

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UEFA Champions League Final

Saturday 24th May 2025

FK Bodø/Glimt v Bayern München

Santiago Bernabéu, Madrid, Spain

bernabeu6.jpg

Bodø/Glimt run to the final

2425Run_to_CL_Final_png.png

Bayern München run to the final

Bayern_run_to_final.png

CL_Final_2425.png

And so there we have it. After 12 and a half seasons, 3 Champions Leagues, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 Club World Cup, 9 Tippeligaen titles, 7 Norwegian Cups and 1 Adeccoligaen I've decided it's time to probably call the thread a day.

I've really enjoyed this career, perhaps more than any other I've ever had, but personal circumstances make FM time all too rare right now, and this seems like a good place to bow out. I'd like to thank everybody who's followed the thread, and like to apologise for it drying up in recent months. If I do continue this career I'll probably use the mini thread update, but I'd like to think I'll be back with another thread when I've got a bit more time on my hands.

Cheers again, everybody. :thup:

Thanks again for this amazing thread. If it is your baby that is taking you most of your free time, don't worry. I have also become father for the first time in November, and there are still workarounds to get some playing time. I often volunteer to take care of the baby during the night (with a laptop and FM :D).

Thanks again for this amazing thread. If it is your baby that is taking you most of your free time, don't worry. I have also become father for the first time in November, and there are still workarounds to get some playing time. I often volunteer to take care of the baby during the night (with a laptop and FM :D).

Glad you've enjoyed it, fella.

It's a combination of the baby, work and a new exercise regime, really. I'm just finding that there is always something else to do when I get to my laptop right now. Maybe I need to buy a tablet and play a more stripped back version of FM in future, I don't know.

Would have preferred you to stay on this thread but well, good luck in your new career thread! :brock:

As I said, it won't be a new thread any time soon as I don't have the time. When I do have a bit more - which is months down the line - I may start a new thread for a new career. Until then I'll use the mini update thread for any FM time I do get as I can't really justify having this thread any more.

Archived