Poll: When do you Quit or Retire (Around What Year)?

When Do you Quit or Retire (Around What Year)?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. When Do you Quit or Retire (Around What Year)?

• Between 2015 and 2019
    • Between 2020 and 2024
    • Between 2025 and 2029
    • Between 2030 and 2039
    • 2040 and Beyond

The longer you play a game, the real players of today retire and surprising clubs and results start come up. Does this bother you?

This poll asks: around what year do you quit or retire from FM 2013. Feel free to leave your comment too.

I never quit my save game, far too many hours put in so to just leave it & starting a new save would feel like I've wasted all that processing time.

All I do is once my manager reaches 60-70 I will retire him & create a new manager who will embark on his own career.

I am not any of the above as I quit only when the next incarnation of the game comes out that I want to play - In FM 12 I managed 15 seasons, other versions it has been 5-6 seasons due to time restraints.

I play one save game only and i quit when the next Football Manager comes out.

The only other reason i would quit would be a forced quit, like a corrupted save.

I'm normally somewhere between 2060 and 2070 by then.

Why would someone be bothered with the teams switching dominance? It's not like it's unrealistic. Teams come and go. Where was Juventus the last few years when they were solving their problems? How come Tottenham are finally establishing themselves as a truly big team in the premier after years and years of being mediocre? Man City, same thing before they got their oil money. The list keeps going. Only a handful of teams have remained dominant for years and years and those teams most of the time continue to do so in FM as well. (porto/benfica for example will close to never lose their dominance)

I've not quit my FM13 save yet. The intention every year is always to play one save without quitting. Only managed it once before though. The key for longevity for me is variety. If i'm really not enjoying it, I resign and go somewhere else. I've got more clubs in my history than Tiger Woods.

Well I'm in 2032 right now, it's my longest save yet and it's because I've had to do so much more work in managing the club. I've only gotten one League Cup, one Premier League and one FA Cup so there's a lot more life yet. I'll usually just end it when the computer can't take anymore.

I seem to usually quit after season 3, however, in fm13 I am still playing my one and only save since its release with bristol city and have managed to get half way through season 5 (my longest save ever) although I'm tempted to quit that and do a new save with either bristol rovers, Portsmouth or Liverpool. Only thing is, I hate starting at a big club which always put me off managing my beloved Liverpool :(

The longer you play a game, the real players of today retire and surprising clubs and results start come up. Does this bother you?

This poll asks: around what year do you quit or retire from FM 2013. Feel free to leave your comment too.

But this is a good thing. I mean 10 years ago who'd have predicted the fall of Liverpool, or the rise of City? I think these cycles are good. However, I usually only last about 10 seasons before I start a new save. I miss the real players.

Out of interest, because I've never played the game that long, what happens when you get old as a manager, does it automatically retire you?

But this is a good thing. I mean 10 years ago who'd have predicted the fall of Liverpool, or the rise of City? I think these cycles are good. However, I usually only last about 10 seasons before I start a new save. I miss the real players.

Out of interest, because I've never played the game that long, what happens when you get old as a manager, does it automatically retire you?

Age stays stuck at 100 years old, but you won't be automatically retired at any point.

When the savegame gets corrupted or when the game keeps crashing at the same date and I don't feel like rolling back to a previous save (usually going back to the previous job).

Technical issues aside, I usually get bored of my long-term save once I've achieved my goals with the starting club (be it winning the CL with Rosenborg or the domestic league with a lower league side) and I've become a successful manager at top clubs around Europe.

Generally speaking I can tolerate two-three jobs at the likes of Barça, Utd etc... But to be honest I find top-level football very boring... Too much money, too much starpower... There is even little point in nurturing new talents because when a guy is the new Messi at 20, what's the point in bringing in other players in that position?

So I rarely make it past 2025...

I've only had one save since the start of FM13. The first manager started out at 25, and I retired him the day after he topped off a glittering career by winning the World Cup with Scotland in 2054. I think he was 66 or 67 at the time. I've since added a new manager to the same save and started again from scratch, currently in 2060. At this rate, if I keep playing on that save, which I intend to, I can see it reaching far beyond 2100 by the time FM14 comes out.

Interesting pool results thus far: folks either play a few seasons only, or forever...

I agree that starting at world-class clubs is a bit too easy (and boring). I start at lower divisions or at top-divisions in smaller countries and then develop an international career. Yet, I do like to complete my game with a final gig at a world-class club and a national team at a World Cup before retiring.

Thanks for participating and voting.

Archived