FM13 Arsenal Thread - Victoria Concordia Crescit

llama3

Have they ramped up the difficulty this year or do I just suck? For varying reasons, I've started and restarted Arsenal saves about 4 times since I got the game on Wednesday, and from a total of 12 league games from those saves, I have a grand total of 1 win, 6 draws and 5 losses!!! Anyone else having trouble finding their feet? Can't work out what I'm doing wrong :(

Just from my own experience with another team, it can take a while for the team to become used to you and your tactics, especially if you've set your past experience as anything below international footballer. A good indicator of this is their reactions during team talks; no reaction or negative reactions (switches off, angered, etc.) suggest that they're "struggling to motivate themselves to play for you" and motivation plays a huge part in performance.

Tactically, you have to be careful at this moment in time because the Match Engine has a few flaws that can make playing difficult. For example, midfielders will readily drop into good defensive positions but they won't close down the space in front of them, which leads to a lot of chances being given up on the edge of your penalty area and a higher number of goals conceded from long shots. Players, especially defenders, also have this strange hesitancy to actually tackle and move to make interceptions, which can lead to teams just cutting through you with ease. Goalkeeper behaviour, I've noticed, can also be erratic.

There are a few things you can do, though. I've found that, generally, you'll just have to make do for a while before you can fully implement the style you want to play. Focus on just getting the results and getting points on the board as the players grow accustomed to you and tactics. If you do well, they'll listen to you more. What I tend to do is go into games with a Standard strategy, since it means my players will decide the best approach depending on the match situation. I also use a lot of opposition instructions, specifically hard tackling and closing down on all midfielders (tight marking on an AMC as well). It might result in a few extra cards, but it's actually made my players tackle other players, which is a big help. When you have a good lead, shut up shop and make sure you get that results.

This approach is pragmatic and not particularly attractive, but it is something I've found to work quite well. I'm one and a half seasons in with my Sevilla save and still use this approach, but my players are used to me and my tactics and now play with the flair and guile I wanted them to play with originally.

Hopefully some of that helps.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, having been drawn against Barca in the semis of the CL I fully expected to be going out at this stage. A first leg at home on a horribly wet day played perfectly into our hands. A team set up to play very directly on the counter actually dominated the game entirely, allowing Barca only 1 shot and that was off target. Unfortunately of our 20 shots, Valdes only allowed 1 past him so we still had it all to do at Camp Nou. An early break on the away fixture allowed Walcott to deftly chip Valdes and put us up on 4 minutes. Sustained pressure from Barca finally gave way to a goal when Pique beat Ramsey in the air to a free kick and headed it home. Again we managed to go up, before they drew level a 2nd time as Villa latched onto a cross from Alves. In the dying stages of the game a 3 goal for the Arsenal left them needing 3 goals to go through. An away win of 3-2 and a home win of 1-0 meant a great aggregate score against Barca of 4-2. Thoroughly delighted by that result!

The final is to be played against Real Madrid, who beat Man City to get to the finals.

In the FA Cup and we're down to the final against Sp*rs, so I'm going to throw out all stops to spoil their party for the season.

With so many competitions to be concluded in the final month of the season, I'm trusting in my youth more and more to carry our PL ambitions. I leave a couple of old heads in there to hopefully lead the way, but Zouma and Papadopolous are Arsenal heroes in the making!

I lost Sagna to a free transfer, thought I can wait until its near end of his contract to wait down his wages.... he took too long to decide on his contract and PSG came in :'( There goes a world class right back.

Did win the CL finals against Barcelona in my first season though :D I parked the bus like Chelsea waiting for penalties, but at 102 min Busquets was fouled inside my box and no penalty give! He was so incensed that he got sent off (haha), a few min later Villa got sent off for bad tackle. I went from parking the bus to over running Barcelona all over the pitch and Walcott scored the winner for me.

Wow, having been drawn against Barca in the semis of the CL I fully expected to be going out at this stage. A first leg at home on a horribly wet day played perfectly into our hands. A team set up to play very directly on the counter actually dominated the game entirely, allowing Barca only 1 shot and that was off target. Unfortunately of our 20 shots, Valdes only allowed 1 past him so we still had it all to do at Camp Nou. An early break on the away fixture allowed Walcott to deftly chip Valdes and put us up on 4 minutes. Sustained pressure from Barca finally gave way to a goal when Pique beat Ramsey in the air to a free kick and headed it home. Again we managed to go up, before they drew level a 2nd time as Villa latched onto a cross from Alves. In the dying stages of the game a 3 goal for the Arsenal left them needing 3 goals to go through. An away win of 3-2 and a home win of 1-0 meant a great aggregate score against Barca of 4-2. Thoroughly delighted by that result!

The final is to be played against Real Madrid, who beat Man City to get to the finals.

In the FA Cup and we're down to the final against Sp*rs, so I'm going to throw out all stops to spoil their party for the season.

With so many competitions to be concluded in the final month of the season, I'm trusting in my youth more and more to carry our PL ambitions. I leave a couple of old heads in there to hopefully lead the way, but Zouma and Papadopolous are Arsenal heroes in the making!

How viable is a counter attacking tactic for a top team?

I've just changed to a counter-attacking tactic since my results were so poor! Things have definitely improved, but I worry about playing against teams who play for a draw and don't attack (which greatly limits the space I can counter-attack into). I've also started doing teamtalks myself, which could be the cause of the improved results.

How has Papadopolous been for you? I have him and he plays fairly well, but I don't think that his mentals will ever develop to an acceptable level :(

How viable is a counter attacking tactic for a top team?

I've just changed to a counter-attacking tactic since my results were so poor! Things have definitely improved, but I worry about playing against teams who play for a draw and don't attack (which greatly limits the space I can counter-attack into). I've also started doing teamtalks myself, which could be the cause of the improved results.

How has Papadopolous been for you? I have him and he plays fairly well, but I don't think that his mentals will ever develop to an acceptable level :(

I've found if you go into games against the likes of City, Manchester and Chelsea expecting to play the usual possession football you're asking for trouble. It's not a tactic I'd use against lesser opposition, but against teams that you're equal too or are better than you it's the only option to take.

Papadopolous hasn't put a foot wrong in the games he's played in. Scored on his debut, as did Zouma, and has scored 2 more since. All from corners. My only concern is his aggression but he hasn't picked up a card yet.

In the middle of October, and after Falcao getting injured, only for a week though, I realised that I only have Giroud as Podolski is laid out for 3 months, and my youths need a few more years before getting the call up. I currently have 2 cheap options, Bojan for 10 million or David Villa for 7. The latter obviously being better but will need a bit more in wages... thoughts?

And I prefer to play THeo and Pod on the wings anyways, so I do need a 3rd striker, Giroud not doing much with the little chances he is getting

And ofcourse Giroud scores 2 awesome goals after I post this :D

In the middle of October, and after Falcao getting injured, only for a week though, I realised that I only have Giroud as Podolski is laid out for 3 months, and my youths need a few more years before getting the call up. I currently have 2 cheap options, Bojan for 10 million or David Villa for 7. The latter obviously being better but will need a bit more in wages... thoughts?

And I prefer to play THeo and Pod on the wings anyways, so I do need a 3rd striker, Giroud not doing much with the little chances he is getting

And ofcourse Giroud scores 2 awesome goals after I post this :D

save your money and use walcott as a poacher, i keep preaching this in this thread lol!

Ademilson is quality, young and £5.25m buy out clause. Walcott up to is very effective too.

With 2 games to go in the season I secured the title following 1-0 wins against City and then Sunderland

The FA Cup against Sp*rs was a close tie, with Defoe taking an early lead before Wilshere equalised. A goal from Cavani after Lloris fumbled put us 2-1 up but that wasn't the end of things. An instant response from Sandro with a 25 yard screamer drew us level before Wilshere once again showed his character and scored his 2nd of the game to seal the win at 3-2.

That means I've currently won every competition so far with just the Champions League final left against Real Madrid. I'm very unsure how to play against them though, so I'm not holding out too much hope of delivering the quadruple.

I like having a member of the invincibles at my club :D And Falcao just got his 4th against West Ham, so thats even better :) Plus Henry is transfer listed, so will try and get him in 6 months when his ontract is finished, whether it be player or staff :p

I've got Henry and Pires on my shortlist just waiting for them to look to move into a staff role. Think I might offer Lehman a gk coaching job too and reunite the invincibles! I know Bergkamp is also at Ajax, but are there any other invincibles besides Vieira on the game?

just spent 23 mill on doumbia coming in january, and about to waste the rest of my budget on mats hummels, but if i get him kos and vermaelen will be moving on, tough decisions!

a good friend of mine signed doumbia on FM12 and he was immense

arsenal.jpg

ok just started a new game with Arsenal

Transfers: in: Dario Veron 6m/Pumas, Adam Campbell 675k/Newcastle, Karim AIt-Fana 2.7m/Monpellier , Carlos Fierro 7.5m +45% Profit/Chivas, James Ward Prowse 6.5m + 15m after 40 games + 375k for 18 months +30% next transfer/Southhampton, Edison Cavani* 10m + 3.6m after 10 league goals +1.1m for 24 Months + 15% profit/Napoli

Out: Santos 1.5m+ 65k for 48 months/Stuttgart, Chamakh 1.3m + 45 for 48 months/Montpellier, Squillaci 1.3m/Southhampton, Arshavin 4m/Juventus,

Gervinho 12.5m/Newcastle, Diaby 11m/Montpellier

also 12 loans & 4 free

* Negotionation handeled By Steve Bould

fmpic.jpg

matches Key

Prem=Premier League,

CL= Champions League

C1C/COC= Capital One Cup

FA= Fa cup

RD = Round

Q/Sf + quarter/ semi final

F= Final

August Matches Prem: Sunderland 1-2 Arsenal: Sessegnon 11, Walcott 14, Cazaorla 90+1

Prem Arsenal 3-0 Aston Villa: Oxlade-Chamberlain 15, Coquelin 42, Podolski 76

I've got Henry and Pires on my shortlist just waiting for them to look to move into a staff role. Think I might offer Lehman a gk coaching job too and reunite the invincibles! I know Bergkamp is also at Ajax, but are there any other invincibles besides Vieira on the game?

Gilberto silva, Lehman is difficult to get as he prefers to be a manager, Sol Campbell, who I already have snapped up and has done like 2 qualifications already along with David Seaman, Ljungberg ain't on the game, and Cole should be easy enough to get when he retires

oh and wiltord :D

Next fixtures for me are as follows =/

Chelsea and City away, Liverpool at home then Newcastle away, and I just scraped past Spurs at home with a 1-0 win

, James Ward Prowse 6.5m + 15m after 40 games + 375k for 18 months +30% next transfer/Southhampton,

want to ask something, u paid 6.5 for prowse and another 15 million after he plays 40 games for you plus ure paying 375k a month for 18 months and they still get 30% of his next transfer so you are effectively paying £28mill for this guy, are u mad?

Are you just going for the key first 11? or subs aswell, if so Pascal Cygan is in game, think he is a manager though, Edu is a director of Corinthians, Lauren is a coach available at start as a free agent, as is Kanu as a player, might turn into a coach later in the game maybe?

EDIT, also if anyone knows of any goalkeepers worth signing, would be quite helpful :), ive started again:o, im looking for a solid number 2, and some prospects for the future.

Gilberto silva, Lehman is difficult to get as he prefers to be a manager, Sol Campbell, who I already have snapped up and has done like 2 qualifications already along with David Seaman, Ljungberg ain't on the game, and Cole should be easy enough to get when he retires

oh and wiltord :D

Next fixtures for me are as follows =/

Chelsea and City away, Liverpool at home then Newcastle away, and I just scraped past Spurs at home with a 1-0 win

Thanks! I think I must have to load a few more leagues because I've searched for a few of those names already.

Are you just going for the key first 11? or subs aswell, if so Pascal Cygan is in game, think he is a manager though, Edu is a director of Corinthians, Lauren is a coach available at start as a free agent, as is Kanu as a player, might turn into a coach later in the game maybe?

EDIT, also if anyone knows of any goalkeepers worth signing, would be quite helpful :), ive started again:o, im looking for a solid number 2, and some prospects for the future.

The only solid number 2 I know of is Butland. Other youngsters include Ter Stegen of Munchengladbach (but he'll be expensive and unhappy playing 2nd fiddle to Szczesny) and Leali of Juventus (who weren't willing to sell to me for a realistic fee).

There's probably others if you look up the wonderkids list.

I have had enough of this bloody game and its ridiculous match engine. I am fed up of conceding stupid goals where the opposition play a through ball and the defender just stands in the same position and lets the striker run through on goal for a one on one with the keeper, this match engine is bugged and I wont be playing until the new patch comes out. I have tried all different formations and every time I am conceding stupid goals. Infuriating

Anyone else feel the same?

, James Ward Prowse 6.5m + 15m after 40 games + 375k for 18 months +30% next transfer/Southhampton,

want to ask something, u paid 6.5 for prowse and another 15 million after he plays 40 games for you plus ure paying 375k a month for 18 months and they still get 30% of his next transfer so you are effectively paying £28mill for this guy, are u mad?

No he has four star potential and he will only be getting odd game no more then 10 prob 7 at that rate it will take over 5 years(if i don't loan him) before the clause comes into effect he will be 22 by that point and i'll have a better view of his ability, if i deem him nood good enough I sell him to avoid the 15m clause

arsenal.jpg

September Games

*forgot to say home team will always be put first*

Prem:Arsenal 1-0 Everton: Akpom 88

CL: Arsenal 0-0 Dynamo Kyiv

Prem: Man Utd 1-1 Arsenal: Hernandez 9 , Oxlade-Chamberlain 49

C1C (3rd): Arsenal 5-3 Barnsley: Mellis 4 , Cavani 6 & 24 & 41 , Oxlade-Chamberlain 11 , Podolski 16, Davies 28 , Foster 83

Prem: Arsenal 3-0 Norwich: Podolski 14 , Cavani 28 , Walcott 48

October Matches

Cl: Juventus 1-1 Arsenal: Ward-Prowse o/g 5 , Walcott 20

Prem: Reading 1-4 Arsenal: Oxlade-Chamberlain 12 & 55 , Cavani 22 , Church 55 , Walcott 67

Prem: Arsenal 5-0 West Ham: Walcott 34 & 63 , Podolski 37 & 50 , Tomkins o/g 55

Cl : Gladbach 1- 6: Arsenal: Veron 11 , Walcott 24 & 77 & 90 & 90+2 , Patschinsky 31 , Cazorla 81

Prem: Norwich 0-3 Arsenal: Veron 49, Bunn o/g 64 , Giroud 70

arsenal.jpg

November Games

*gosh I'm getting through these games quick*

Prem: Swansea 1-1 Arsenal: Graham 3 , Cavanii 34

Cl: Arsenal 4-0 Gladback: Akpom 32, Walcott 45+1 , Ramsey 61 , Jantschke o/g 65

Prem: Newcastle 1-1 Arsenal: Cisse 12 , Oxlade-Chamberlain 90+6

Prem: Arsenal 2-1 West Brom Lukaku 13 , Walcott 18 & 74

CL: Dynamo Kyiv 4-6 Arsenal: Walcott 18 & 26 & 44 & 54 , Podolski 45, Yarmolenko 50 , Gusev 57 , Mileskiyi 73 , Cavani 79 , Ideye 87

Prem: Chelsea 1-1 Arsenal: Cavani 42 , Ramires 88

C1C Q/F: Aston Villa 0-3 Ramsey 14 , Cavani 82 & 84

I'm yet to play the final 3 games of season because I know shortly after I'm going to have to make decisions about my team for the next transfer window. I feel that 22 players is about the perfect depth for a first team. Everyone get's enough rest for fatigue not to be a problem, but no one is on the bench for so long that they have cause to complain. I'm going to pay more attention to the youth and reserves team in this 2nd season, but there's players such as Coquelin who I really like and I don't particularly want to sell but also probably won't see enough game time to be happy at the club. Hopefully they'll be happy to be loaned out again, under they improve just a little more.

Fellaini is still the biggest stumbling block for me. As a player, he's basically irreplaceable. His defensive game is relentless and that's in part down to his size. His attitude sucks though. He's constantly getting yellow cards, he's the only player to never responding positively to team talks...even when I'm congratulating them for winning a trophy. Who isn't delighted at being told they've done a good job winning a trophy and should savour the moment?! Lars Bender would be the next best solution but he doesn't have the aerial dominance that Fellaini can offer and I've found Fellaini regularly takes control of possession from opposition goal kicks which is a massive boost in dominating a game if you can turnover possession immediately from a goal kick.

When's the best time to start offering players for sale? Obviously I want the highest price I can so I need to offer them up as soon as teams begin spending. Is that the day the transfer window opens or do teams actually start agreeing deals before that day?

Well my last 2 games of the PL didn't go to plan. My youth drew 1-1 at home to Wigan and a more experience side lost away to Everton 1-0. A real lack of cutting edge in front of goal could be our undoing against Real Madrid in the CL final.

Edit: CL final played and an astonishing result. I'll let the photo do the talking for me...

ScreenShot2012-11-18at063059.png

Giroud chipped in with an assist for each of Walcott's goal, as he did what he has done all season and cut inside from the wing and get through 1 on 1 with the keeper.

I made some specific changes to my tactic, primarily to mark Ronaldo out of the game entirely. Here is what I used:

ScreenShot2012-11-18at063135.png

Season Summary:

Premier League - Champions - 28W 7D 3L - 91 points - 76 goals scored, 23 conceeded - The only player stats I topped the table on was Szczesny for clean sheets, Giroud for shots on target (78%!) and Fellaini for yellow cards and also joint top for reds (both whilst he was still at Everton). None of my players made it into the top 5 goalscorers, Santi had 5th most assists, Giroud was 5th fewest minutes per goal, Xhaka and Szczesny won the joint 3rd most games and Walcott got 4th most PoTM.

Champions League - Champions - In reverse order we beat Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, SL Benfica, Juventus, Dortmund and Valencia on the way. Not an easy route to the top but we did it!

FA Cup - Champions - Particularly satisfied to have beaten Sp*rs in the final, and Chelsea in the semi!

Capital One Cup - The easiest of the competitions for us, having been given an easy route through the competition culminating in beating Newcastle.

Manager's player of the season - It can only be Walcott. He's delivered the goals when it's mattered and his pace has plagued the opposition.

Other players worth of mentiony are Cazorla, Wilshere, Alaba, Vermaelan and Szczesny who have all saved the day at one stage or another.

I suppose next season I'll just have to do the same again...only undefeated this time perhaps :D

I have had enough of this bloody game and its ridiculous match engine. I am fed up of conceding stupid goals where the opposition play a through ball and the defender just stands in the same position and lets the striker run through on goal for a one on one with the keeper, this match engine is bugged and I wont be playing until the new patch comes out. I have tried all different formations and every time I am conceding stupid goals. Infuriating

Anyone else feel the same?

No, go visit the tactics forum, we have had a lot of discussions on recently about these type of issues. Seriously, come visit and do some proper reading, it will help.

When's the best time to start offering players for sale? Obviously I want the highest price I can so I need to offer them up as soon as teams begin spending. Is that the day the transfer window opens or do teams actually start agreeing deals before that day?

Certain events raise their value - like being in the winning side or successful side in the Euros or World Cup, winning domestic titles etc - so keep an eye on international events to see if anything there is worth noting.

Well my last 2 games of the PL didn't go to plan. My youth drew 1-1 at home to Wigan and a more experience side lost away to Everton 1-0. A real lack of cutting edge in front of goal could be our undoing against Real Madrid in the CL final.

Edit: CL final played and an astonishing result. I'll let the photo do the talking for me...

ScreenShot2012-11-18at063059.png

Giroud chipped in with an assist for each of Walcott's goal, as he did what he has done all season and cut inside from the wing and get through 1 on 1 with the keeper.

I made some specific changes to my tactic, primarily to mark Ronaldo out of the game entirely. Here is what I used:

ScreenShot2012-11-18at063135.png

Season Summary:

Premier League - Champions - 28W 7D 3L - 91 points - 76 goals scored, 23 conceeded - The only player stats I topped the table on was Szczesny for clean sheets, Giroud for shots on target (78%!) and Fellaini for yellow cards and also joint top for reds (both whilst he was still at Everton). None of my players made it into the top 5 goalscorers, Santi had 5th most assists, Giroud was 5th fewest minutes per goal, Xhaka and Szczesny won the joint 3rd most games and Walcott got 4th most PoTM.

Champions League - Champions - In reverse order we beat Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, SL Benfica, Juventus, Dortmund and Valencia on the way. Not an easy route to the top but we did it!

FA Cup - Champions - Particularly satisfied to have beaten Sp*rs in the final, and Chelsea in the semi!

Capital One Cup - The easiest of the competitions for us, having been given an easy route through the competition culminating in beating Newcastle.

Manager's player of the season - It can only be Walcott. He's delivered the goals when it's mattered and his pace has plagued the opposition.

Other players worth of mentiony are Cazorla, Wilshere, Alaba, Vermaelan and Szczesny who have all saved the day at one stage or another.

I suppose next season I'll just have to do the same again...only undefeated this time perhaps :D

Hello how did you get that skin for your game and what is it called

Manchester united have spent over 100 million pounds in the summer transfer window for 3 consecutive seasons now!

Ridiculous

Ive spent 115million again in the first window lol, still got some cash to spend. recouped 61mil from sales though, and i've stuck alot of sell on clauses on my sales, i start my game in Russia June 2012 start date, so Dzagoev was not available on a free for 15 days, but i managed to wrangle him into not signing a new contract, by bidding a silly ammount(20mil) then delaying it a week and cancelling around the 29th june lol.

Any ideas on a good ball winning midfielder?

I currently play a cm/d role for arteta/coquelin and a dlp/s role for Diaby/Wilshire/Ramsey.

But next season I'm looking to move Arteta on or keep as a backup , this would leave me with coquelin who I think can play the ball winning role but I would like to bring in a top quality

player as well.

thinking Lars Bender but he will be expensive any others to look at?

thanks

Coquelin can do it and has good potential. Lars Bender is a DM but can play in midfield as a BWM. Fellaini is probably your best bet. He was transfer listed in my game (I think he will always be) and I picked him up in early October of the first season I think it was for just £12.75m. I took a bit of a risk and waited a long time for his price to drop as low as felt it would go. I could have paid £16m much earlier on and had him before the summer transfer window ended.

Any ideas on a good ball winning midfielder?

I currently play a cm/d role for arteta/coquelin and a dlp/s role for Diaby/Wilshire/Ramsey.

But next season I'm looking to move Arteta on or keep as a backup , this would leave me with coquelin who I think can play the ball winning role but I would like to bring in a top quality

player as well.

thinking Lars Bender but he will be expensive any others to look at?

thanks

Radja Naingollan from Cagliari, has top notch mental attributes (20 determination, best tutor i've been able to find in game, that is not already at a top club), good work rate, strong and an excellent tackler, was very consistent on my previous saves and so far hes doing the job on this one, costs 12million at the start.

Really liking the way you've set up your team, was thinking of making one slight alteration. Fellani in for Diaby, thoughts?

That's what I did. In a previous save I found Diaby was plagued by injuries all season long and it just wasn't worth having him in the side for him to spend at least 3 months a season out.

As Matty says, Vidal is incredible but it'll cost you near £40m to get him.

Archived