FM13: Everton F.C. - Featuring overused toffee puns

swisso

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just took over Everton on my save. Forth season will be my first. Team i took over still consisted of Jagielka, Baines, Jelavic, Naismith and Barkley. Giving me a solid starting side. Couple of very good potential regens too. I previously managed Barca so brought a few of the fringe developed youngsters in on loan, and since i manage the Spannish national team was able to bring in some handy Spannish lads. Everton had been under achieving finnishing 8th two season in a row and Moyes had cleared off to Inter. Really good challenge. I know most wont can help but any advice on signings would be apprechiated. Jagielka replacement is a must to be honest.

Tried a 4-4-2 myself but couldn't find Wingers who were hard working enough to close down or track back against top teams.

So adopted the 'Assymetrical' formation with a flat back 4, DMC, ML, MC, AMR, AMC and ST and it's working absolute wonders so far.

Playing a Standard, Balanced style, Direct passing, Aggressive tackling, Pressing More and it's giving us goals (especially the lone striker) and defensively it's solid!

Will post more once my 5th season has completed, 4 games left!

Season 5

The assymetrical formation worked wonders once i started using it from November onwards. Hernandez was astonishing and finished with 40 Premier League goals :D

Out of the Champions League in the Group Stages, lost in the QF of the Euro Cup to Chelsea. Lost Carling Cup final to Chelsea and lost 5th Round FA Cup 3-0 at home... to Swindon! :(

But there was a flipside heading into the last day....

1 - Man Utd - 92pts

2 - Everton - 89pts

3 - Man City - 81pts

4 - Wolves - 80pts

17 - Wigan - 34pts

18 - Liverpool - 34pts

19 - Newcastle - 33pts

20 - Swansea - 22pts

QPR vs Man Utd

Wigan vs Everton

Liverpool vs Wolves

Man Utds only defeats of the season were 0-3 at Goodison and 0-2 at Man City and with Rooney firing 34 League goals, i'd all but given up hope of QPR putting up any resistance. Then the dilemma... do i field a weakened team at Wigan in the hope of Liverpool getting relegated? :D

I decided to go for the win at Wigan and hope QPR could put up some resistance. News came through from Loftus Road that Andy Caroll had been sent off after 10mins and Oxlade-Chamberlain had put Utd 1-0 up not long after. The title seemed out of our hands now as Hernandez fired a quick brace inside 20mins to put us 2-0 up at Wigan. Half time and Utd and us were ahead, Wolves were hanging on at Anfield, 0-0.

Then i made the call, the title is lost, lets see about getting Liverpool relegated! A quick reshuffle of personel at half time, a very high defensive line leaving plenty of space for Di Santo and Delfounso to exploit behind my defence and a very wide team shape. Di Santo promptly hit the post TWICE after the restart and it looked like Wigan just didn't want to save themselves! But finally, Coleman is sent off for a 2nd bookable offence and Wigan look like gaining confidence. Watson scores to make it 1-2, Delfounso not long after for 2-2 and finally the misfiring Di Santo in the 83rd minute to make it 3-2!

Utd romp home 3-0 in London, stubborn Wolves seal Champions League qualification with a 0-0 draw at Anfield and Wigans win see's them condemn Liverpool to relegation on the 125th anniversary of their founding. Beautiful :D

Tried a 4-4-2 myself but couldn't find Wingers who were hard working enough to close down or track back against top teams.

So adopted the 'Assymetrical' formation with a flat back 4, DMC, ML, MC, AMR, AMC and ST and it's working absolute wonders so far.

Playing a Standard, Balanced style, Direct passing, Aggressive tackling, Pressing More and it's giving us goals (especially the lone striker) and defensively it's solid!

Will post more once my 5th season has completed, 4 games left!

Be interested to hear what player roles etc you've gone with in that formation.

Not a wonder tactic by any means, but it really seems to suit my hard-working team

DCs are Normal DCs on Defend

DL and DR are Fullback Automatic

DMC is Defensive Mid Defend

MC is Centre Midfielder Automatic

AMC is Advanced Playmaker Attack

ML is Winger Attack

AMR is Winger Attack

ST is Poacher

Long shots turned off for everyone, aside from that nothing is changed in the player instructions apart from GK distribution - defender collect

The key seems to be the amount of tackling and pressing we do as a team; my 2 Argentine newgens at centreback are big and strong and rarely lose out. Fellaini rarely loses a header or tackle, Goretzka in the MC slot is quite tall and has good tackling. Most of the assists come from down the wing, but not always crosses, quite often Fellaini or Goretzka will play it out wide and the wingers will loft a ball over the top for Hernandez :D

I'd honestly recommend everyone to keep it simple with their tactic, try and employ a DMC where possible, don't leave your fullbacks too exposed and generally make sure there's a player covering most areas of the pitch.

I would just like to issue a formal apology to Magaye Gueye. I always shiped you out as I couldnt get the best out of you, I now realise that was my failing, not yours. Perhaps if had realised this sooner I would not be on my THIRD attempt at managing the legendary Toffees!

I decided to keep most players this time round and have two for each position, then started bringing in players BEFORE selling others. Gueye was given the second choice Poacher birth in my squad.

Bristol Rovers came up in the second round of the League Cup so I rotate the whole squad. Gueye gets a hat trick.

Bit harsh to leave him out for the next game, league match at home to Wigan, Gueye scores the only goal to give us a 1-0 win.

Might as well leave him in as hes doing well. league match away to Newcastle, different formation this time, after 90 mins we're 2 up and Gueye has the highest rating although no goals, but wait, hes on the ball, and...... Goal. He was already man of the match but he wanted to keep the goal run going!

Think its fair to say I am likely to have a miserable Jelavic to deal with soon!!!

decided to holiday a game to the last game of the first season (no managers added) and take over Everton from there.

We were in mid table obscurity, and Fellaini had been sold to Real Madrid for £45m... we'd spent about £15m of it on dross tbh, pretty irritating, and somehow still have feck all in the coffers for transfers.

Had Spurs on the last day of the season. Drawing 0-0 at HT, decided to bring Gueye on upfront (formation similarish to swisso's) in the poacher role. Cue him scoring a second half hat trick :o

Anyone given Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe a try?

As Swisso pointed out in the OP, Moyes tried to move for him this past summer and I've been having a look at him in the first half of season 1 with an eye towards a January move. He's been doing really well in the Belgian league so far. I want to be able to give Fellaini some more license to get forward from the MC spot, but want someone defensively solid, but with good passing and creative ability to sit next to him. Looks like he can be had for about $7M over 48 months. Thoughts?

Looked at him at the start but he didn't seem that good and my scouts said he was a 3* player at best. Could probably do a job as a squad filler but i'd rather spend money on Leon Goretzka from Bochum who's got far bigger potential and is taller :D

Struggling to keep the wage bill under control in Season 6, it stood at £935,000 per week, FAR too much for a 50,000 capacity stadium to support (Board won't agree to a new stadium despite averaging 49,000 a game) so i got rid of Patrick Herrmann for £15m and 2 newgens for £5m each + 50% future fee. £25m coming in and £100,000 off the wagebill.

I'm snapping up all the best kids from across England and beyond but they're wanting £10,000 per week... which all adds up.

Looked at him at the start but he didn't seem that good and my scouts said he was a 3* player at best. Could probably do a job as a squad filler but i'd rather spend money on Leon Goretzka from Bochum who's got far bigger potential and is taller :D

I went ahead and went for him and am now well on my way to forming my own little Belgian subcommunity at Everton. That's odd about the rating, because Gilmar Francisco for me gave him at least 3.5 iirc, or possibly 4 stars. Anyway, he may be one of those players who play slightly ahead of there numbers. He's played 6 games for me so far, all Premier League, and has been doing wonderfully. I have him left of Fellaini as an MC in a 4-2-3-1. I play him as a deep-lying playmaker/defend and Fellaini as box-to-box. So far, he's got three assists, 90% pass completion, and averaging about 6-7 tackles a game for a 7.23 avg rating.

Your point about Goretzka is well taken and I actually picked him up in the summer when I got rid of Gibson. I didn't really think he was ready to go right in yet, so he is out on loan in League One and doing really well. As he progresses, I can see the three of them forming a very tidy midfield triangle with a DM.

Just starting my third season with Everton. Season 1 finished 3rd and season 2 finished 2nd. City won league both times by at least 7 points. Am undefeated against Liverpool, with a 4-0 victory at anfield in season 2, on loan chamack getting a hatrick. Jelovic got ligament damage in season 2 and was out for 11 months. Chamack and anichibe did a decent job but got Hernandez in jan transfer window who was immense. Best signing though was dembele for 3.5m. Got 15 assists and 8 goals.

Current team

Ospina

Buschetti Jags Popadopulas (rejected Madrid to join me) Baines

Boletti

Dembele. Anderson

Wellington nem. Isco

Hernandez

Subs are

Oscar

Munisa

Cleverly (had to buy for homegrown players)

Mame diouf

Honda

Coleman

Howard

Heitinga

Jelovic (just back from injury but only rated 2* now)

Played one game in season 3, home to Liverpool. Beat them 3-1 with isco, Wellington and papa scoring on his debut.

I have been trying to recreate our play from early on this season, it's going ok, but mirrallas is so wasteful

I cant quite put my finger on it, but Mirallas is annoyng me so I sold him in Jan for 7.75Mil to Citeh! I think I noticed him dribbling into dead ends too much, but when I make a concious effort to spot it he stops doing it!

Anyway, I needed money and lower wages and this will give more game time to others

Found miralles quite handy in season 1 as amr winger

That's how I've been playing him in Season 1 too. Has been handy (26 games, 7.10 avg rating, 6 goals, 11 assists), but has been quite inconsistent. Will immediately follow an 8-9 game with a 5-6 the next. Quite frustrating. Have been thinking about moving him on myself. Did y'all offer him outright, or did they came in for him. How has Nem been doing for you out there?

I had Adryan as AMR (needed retraining) most of the season, he was fantastic, and was only meant to be cover for Pienaar. I ended up moving pienaar to AML so I could start Adryan!

Finished the season, well, got 1 irrelivant league game to go. finished 6th and runner up in the FA Cup so qualified for Euro league. This is the first season I've had that I consider a success :o)

Jags has been immense at the back. my formation seems to be better than my other attempts. we're not even too far in debt!

next season will be fun as I will.need a top quality striker as I don't know who's number 1 out of Gueye and the Jellyfish. I have my eye on Abel Hernandez but doubt we will get enough cash to buy him. also need a quality DR, and a back up DMC.

got some decent newgen youth arriving to boost our pitiful intake. I'm thinking its too easy to sign kids at the moment, maybe my scouts just overrated them?

I would just like to issue a formal apology to Magaye Gueye. I always shiped you out as I couldnt get the best out of you, I now realise that was my failing, not yours.

Gotta say that I owe him one as well. I've always sold him in my Everton saves in previous FMs, but decided to keep him this time for a little squad depth. An injury to Pienaar in the congested holiday fixture season meant I decided to give him his first real chance of the season. He has basically picked himself for about a dozen straight games since. I've been playing him in an AML position as either a winger or inside forward. Attacking mentality seems to work slightly better than support. Haven't tried him up front yet, but in 11 games at AML, he's got 1 goal, 10 assists, and a 7.50 avg. rating.

Hi all

Spurs fan here and I normally only play my top flight saves with them. I am looking to start a save with another team and try to build an all British squad capable of challenging for titles. I think Everton would be a good starting point for three reasons.

They have the stature to attract quality players

Due to their current financial plight the board and fans will be sympathetic when I sell the big (foreign) names.

They have a good young talent coming through

One question before I start, how much of player sales do he board give you to reinvest? I am looking to challenge as quickly as possible so don't want to be getting a few million from the £25 sale of the Belgium Fro (for example)

Thanks in advance

That's how I've been playing him in Season 1 too. Has been handy (26 games, 7.10 avg rating, 6 goals, 11 assists), but has been quite inconsistent. Will immediately follow an 8-9 game with a 5-6 the next. Quite frustrating. Have been thinking about moving him on myself. Did y'all offer him outright, or did they came in for him. How has Nem been doing for you out there?

I told him he was surplus to requirements. Wasn't happy about it but he then went on the list. Few days later villa came in for him.

Added a bit more home grown strength now as well in Scott Parker. Cost me £5, meant to bid the 5k asking price but had a £5 offer accepted by mistake.

Hi all

Spurs fan here and I normally only play my top flight saves with them. I am looking to start a save with another team and try to build an all British squad capable of challenging for titles. I think Everton would be a good starting point for three reasons.

They have the stature to attract quality players

Due to their current financial plight the board and fans will be sympathetic when I sell the big (foreign) names.

They have a good young talent coming through

One question before I start, how much of player sales do he board give you to reinvest? I am looking to challenge as quickly as possible so don't want to be getting a few million from the £25 sale of the Belgium Fro (for example)

Thanks in advance

I got 25m cash from city so had quite a bit to reinvest. Guess it may depend on how the clubs are paying for your players ie installments.

For that amount, he's a no brainer if you need a decent traditional winger... go for it.

That's what I thought too, unfortunately he decided to go to Falkirk as a key player. Oh well, I have Wellington Nem (not retrained to AMR) who can fill in over there if need be. Would hate to move him there though unless I had to. He has been immense for me as an AMC, playing inside forward, set to attacking.

Started my Everton game at last, looking to sell Mucha and Anichebe. I have brought in so far, Craig Gordon and Ruben Jenssen.

Am am going to play a 4-4-1-1 formation.

Balanced and Control most the time.

Sweeper Keeper - Support

Full Backs - Support

Central Defenders - Defend

Wide Midfielders - Attack

Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend

Deep Lying Playmaker - Support

Attacking Midfielder - Support

Poacher - Attack

Started again with a couple of custom data files

- some of the better U16 players who i've watched with the U18s this season

- some changes based on what i've seen from the players this season

- some missing data what didn't make the full-game

Looking to keep it as realistic as possible, so won't be overhauling the squad (kinda defeats the point of playing as Everton :D )

And finally... a lovely background picture https://twitter.com/grandoldteam/status/275332120694644736/photo/1/large

That's what I thought too, unfortunately he decided to go to Falkirk as a key player. Oh well, I have Wellington Nem (not retrained to AMR) who can fill in over there if need be. Would hate to move him there though unless I had to. He has been immense for me as an AMC, playing inside forward, set to attacking.

Never retrained him there myself and that's how I play him. He's first choice and gets at least 15 assists a season.

Never retrained him there myself and that's how I play him. He's first choice and gets at least 15 assists a season.

What role do you give him over there? Do you play an AMC? If so, who? I played Miralles over there in Season 1 and he was good but not great. Picked up about 8 goals and 13 assists and about a 7.15 avg, but was very inconsistent and would disappear for games at a time.

What role do you give him over there? Do you play an AMC? If so, who? I played Miralles over there in Season 1 and he was good but not great. Picked up about 8 goals and 13 assists and about a 7.15 avg, but was very inconsistent and would disappear for games at a time.

Played as inside forward. I don't play with a amc, I have a dmc, 2xmc amr, aml and poacher.

He hasn't been great in season 3, started well but had injuries.

Started again with a couple of custom data files

- some of the better U16 players who i've watched with the U18s this season

- some changes based on what i've seen from the players this season

- some missing data what didn't make the full-game

Looking to keep it as realistic as possible, so won't be overhauling the squad (kinda defeats the point of playing as Everton :D )

And finally... a lovely background picture https://twitter.com/grandoldteam/status/275332120694644736/photo/1/large

Any chance you could upload your data files mate?

now in my 3rd season, some how won the champions league in my second season and only a few games in my 3rd season. signed wellington nem, vass, strandberg, kweuke, ademilson, selnaes, svensson, butland and a few promising young players first season. sold vass for a 13 million profit, and sold kwueke for a 17 million profit. signed howedes and isco in my 3rd season.

Finished season 2 last night. In January I was looking for a champs league spot, by May I was looking to halt a slide that took us down to 7th!!!! Final game of the season and we are 6th, Newcastle managed by David Moyes are 2 points behind in 7th. I'm home to Blackburn, they are away to Citeh. The bookies would have had us massive odds on to keep the 6th spot, unfortunately Blackburn and Newcastle had different ideas. I lost, toon won, 7th spot and no Euro adventure next season.

Got to the semis in the league cup, 5th round FA Cup, and out in the group stages on the Euro Cup so not great.

Given a nice big 20mil warchest for the summer though, I have 2 players for each position and the weakest seems to be MC, which is a toss up between Ruben Yttergard Jenson and Gibbo so I picked up Jack Cork from QPR for a princely sum of 13mil and spent the rest on kids.

Current team starting season 3:

GK: Howard or Newgen

DR: Heitinga or Coleman

DC: Jags or Duffman

DC: Okore or Newgen

DL: Bainesy or Newgen

DMC: Felliani or Gibson

MC: Cork or Yttergard Jenson

AMR: Barkley or Kennedy

AMC: Wellington Nem or Adryan

AML: Gueye or Pienaar

ST: The Jellyfish or Abel Hernandez

Looking forward to the new season with this team, theres a few kids coming through which could be good, and a bunch I have sent away on loan with a view to giving them game time next season.

I have a replacment for Pienaar lined up if I can get him for the right price, probably in January rather than right now, then need to see if I need to buy a new DR as Heitinga is getting on a bit now. Jags will go on for a few more years and I have loads of DC's coming through so wont need to splash out replacing him.

COYB!

I started a "holiday save", simulated one season and Everton got relegated(Liverpool stayed up on goal difference!)

Just starting my second season with the team but it is the 3rd in game. Fellaini och Baines left before I got here, Anderson and Brunt arrived before me.

The first season went really well, won the Championship with 2 games left of the season.

Got new owners after the promotion and a transfer budget of 25 million Euros, still not spent half of it and the pre-season just started so there is plenty of room for improvements.

Going with a 4-1-4-1 formation, used a 4-5-1 in the championship but figured I might need Gibson in a more defensive position now in the Premiership.

GK: Steele (New from 'Boro)

DR: Eardley (2nd Season, from Blackpool)

DC: Heitinga

DC: Jagielka

DL: Oviedo

DMC: Gibson

MR: Murray (New from Watford)

MC: Cork (2nd Season, arrived mid-season from Southampton)

MC: Anderson (3rd season, arrived before me from Man' United)

ML: Brunt (3rd season, arrived before me from West Brom')

ST: Jelavic

Not a bad side Marino, considering they went down in your save. Surprised Jags and Jelavic didn't get poached away. Should be able to find some decent newgens out there too. My only concern with a 4-1-4-1 is that Jelavic may get too isolated if you don't push enough people up. I've found he works really well with an AMC behind him to interchange with and giving them both the plays one twos PPM works wonders.

If you're keeping the wide midfielders back as MR/ML as opposed to AMR/AML and you have MCs who are relatively reliable at defending, I think you can afford to lose the DMC and move up an AMC, at least at home and against weaker teams. Just a thought.

Woooo.....My friend has fixed my PC, so i'll be able to continue my save (2nd season, top of the league 3/4 of the season in, and into the knockout section of the Champions league).

Roll on tomorrow when i can pick it up

Swisso, how's your youth update coming along? *nudge nudge*

I'm really struggling in season 3. I was expecting a strong challenge for a champs league spot, but find myself 14th as we go into November even though I think my team is better.

As my team improves are there any general tweaks I should make to my tactics? I'm thinking possibly being more fluid as the players progress. Any suggestions?

currently I am using the same tactics, with the same team (one addition to be fair) but most players have improved as players and I'm getting worse results.

I'm having the same difficulty, but in the second season. Got a champs league spot in season 1, and I don't know if it's the added games, but my side is also mainly unchanged, but performing much worse.

My problems seem to be in defense and morale. I have switched my training to defensive, adopted a more defensive counter-attacking strategy, and had a team meeting to buck up their morale. Injuries have also forced me to play some second stringers and they seem to be grabbing their chance.

A couple of decent results have resulted in better morale and more confident performances. I'm not sure more fluidity is your best option until you've arrested the slide and then you can start ratcheting up the fluidity as team morale and cohesion increases.

3rd Season

I'm in February and currently sit in 4th on a 6 game winning streak and 13 unbeaten. I've won the Champions League, League Cup, Euro Super and World Club Championship.

Jelavic is a machine, he's got 74 in 88 for me so far!

Team is:

Howard

Abate Caulker Jagielka Baines

Casarani Fellaini

Mirrals Dzagoev Gueye

Jelavic

3rd Season

I'm in February and currently sit in 4th on a 6 game winning streak and 13 unbeaten. I've won the Champions League, League Cup, Euro Super and World Club Championship.

Jelavic is a machine, he's got 74 in 88 for me so far!

Team is:

Howard

Abate Caulker Jagielka Baines

Casarani Fellaini

Mirrals Dzagoev Gueye

Jelavic

You playing the narrow 3 AM's? Or 2 wingers and a central AM?

As i've managed to get my PC back working, i'm on season 2, doing real well going into March (neck and neck with Man City). Trying to get a nice passing tactic going

You playing the narrow 3 AM's? Or 2 wingers and a central AM?

As i've managed to get my PC back working, i'm on season 2, doing real well going into March (neck and neck with Man City). Trying to get a nice passing tactic going

I'm playing with one AMC and two wide. Mirallas(a) as a winger, Gueye as IF(s) and Dzagoev on AM (s)

has anyone managed to find a teamtalk that Fellaini responds well to? He's a miserable sod on mine.

I just assertively told him to pick up where he left off last time and it said that he was motivated. In general, he seems to more often respond positively to the more assertive/aggressive approach, as opposed to calm/passionate.

I just assertively told him to pick up where he left off last time and it said that he was motivated. In general, he seems to more often respond positively to the more assertive/aggressive approach, as opposed to calm/passionate.
I get really good results using Assertive - "I've got faith in you" with pretty much everyone in the team, EXCEPT Fellaini. Just never seem to be able to get him to react well.

I get really good results using Assertive - "I've got faith in you" with pretty much everyone in the team, EXCEPT Fellaini. Just never seem to be able to get him to react well.

Maybe he just needs the more demanding comment, rather than the arm around the shoulder kind. It's kinda like someone like Wayne Rooney...a kick up the backside works better than a pat on the back.

Archived