(suggestion) Possibility to save a player's profile to see its evolution easier...

Hi everyone,

I know it's probably too late for FM2013 but...

I wish I could save a player profile at a point in time to be able to compare it to the same player's profile later ! So it would be easier to see where he improved or declined ! Now, if you want to be able to make such a comparaison, you need to go to the attribute development section and analyse the graphic, group of attributes by group of attributes ! It takes time to understand how you player evolves ! And you can only do that for the players you're managing !

What I suggest is to be able to save a player's profile at a moment in time (say the 1.9.2012) ant then, if you want to, later (say a year later) you'll be able to go on the player's profile page, then on the "comparison" screen ! Here you'll be able to choose, in the list, "this player at (1.9.2012)" ! So easily you'll be able to see how he improved/declined during this year ! You'll see easily his attributes, overview and stats evolution ! Exactly how you would compare him to another player ! I hope I'm understandable...

What do you think ?

Excellent idea indeed.

You can't take screenshots of all of your players and load them into a picture viewer while playing...that's a waste of time and resources.

I have always wanted something like that and IMO it is not too complicated too add such a feature nowtime.

Excellent idea. There always seems to be too many clicks involved in trying to track a players evolution.

A comparison screen, as you've suggested, would be great, or perhaps a small change to the training screen to allow you to see what has changed over a certain time period. I.e. if you choose 2 seasons, the screen will show you before and after attribute + personality changes.

And as mentioned above, I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to implement!

Excellent idea. There always seems to be too many clicks involved in trying to track a players evolution.

A comparison screen, as you've suggested, would be great, or perhaps a small change to the training screen to allow you to see what has changed over a certain time period. I.e. if you choose 2 seasons, the screen will show you before and after attribute + personality changes.

And as mentioned above, I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to implement!

SI, this is missing feature that could be easily added, what do you think ?

I have thought about this before and the way I think it would work best would be the same as with the league tables.

You know that if you look at any active league table you have the option in the top right to scroll back through the years. Well I think that you should have that option on each players profile.

That would easily double or triple the size of the savegame though.

why is that?

The size of data of 1 player is minimal. But when you have minimal * the amount of players in the db * the amount of years you're playing (and thus need to save every year) = huge.

I'd like it, but you're gonna have to limit it to certain players, like now in the same way you can still see retired players.

They didn't say "every player in the game" - they said the "Possibility to save a player's profile to see its evolution easier"

So you'd have to select the player and say "Save Profile For 5 seasons".

Then obviously an option to purge this information if you choose.

I have thought about this before and the way I think it would work best would be the same as with the league tables.

You know that if you look at any active league table you have the option in the top right to scroll back through the years. Well I think that you should have that option on each players profile.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm happy to see that my suggestion seems to convince some people ! Like some of the posters I also used screenshots to see players evolution but I found it hard to read and very time consuming ! I think that, if you have to manually "ask" for a player profile to be saved, it will not increase the size of the saves significantly ! I also suggest that you could only make a save for a player... meaning that if you want to make a new save for a player's profile it would replace the last one !

Even if I know nothing about programming it doesn't seem to be a feature that would be hard to implement and I guess that many of us who want to play this game in depth would be very grateful if it could be added as soon as possible ! So SI, what do you think ?

i used to take screen shots of my players every year, just so that i could compare their progress.

isn't this what the line graph in-game is for, now, though?

you click on one of the stats and it gives you the progress of that stat over the last 12 months. give us the ability to see it over 24-36-48 months and that would be better.

Yes, but I also believe a compare function, like with 2 players would be more clear.

so, basically taking the line-chart thats currently there against a single player, and adding it to the compare-players screen? obviously with the option of comparing 12-24-36-48 months, or what ever, as well.

that sounds good to me.

There was once (going back many moons) a training tool someone created whereby you could upload information into it and it would store each attribute at that moment in time. The idea being that you would do this each season (at the same date) and it would show how each attribute rose or fell over those 12 months. It would also give you an overall figure, so you could see how many attribute points were lost/gained since the player was first added. I loved it as you could see very easily where a player had improved or stagnated. I think it created a tab per player and gave top five information on most attribute points gained etc. I think it was much easier to follow than what we have in the game now.

I have searched for it since, but have never found it. The only flaws I recall is that goalkeepers could never be added properly and if you have a player with the same surname, it would often get them confused and give you false results. Now, if anyone had time to build this - I think they would have many FM friends for life! I believe it ran off of the CSV file that you could extract when using FMTRE or something similar.

Clearly if the game had something similar, I am sure it would appreciated. Or if the current information was improved.

The size of data of 1 player is minimal. But when you have minimal * the amount of players in the db * the amount of years you're playing (and thus need to save every year) = huge.

I'd like it, but you're gonna have to limit it to certain players, like now in the same way you can still see retired players.

Well, you wouldn't just duplicate player data for every snapshot. All you'd need is a set of deltas for the attributes (which may be already stored anyway), and maybe deltas for value and star rating (or whatever else would change over time). I don't know how many actual player attributes there are, but say there are 20 attributes:

20 * (1 byte per attribute delta, since delta can only be in the range 0-20) + (4 bytes for player ID) + (6 bytes for date) = 30 bytes. For a database of 50,000 players, 50,000 * 30 = 1,500,000 bytes (1.5 MB). Not too bad at all. You could even make the storage even more compact by compressing the deltas, since you only need 5 bits to store a number ranging from 0-20. So you could pack 12 deltas into a 64-bit integer (8 bytes) to save space.

Edit: (I just realized you would need a sign bit for attribute decreases, so maybe 6 bytes instead of 5).

Well, you wouldn't just duplicate player data for every snapshot. All you'd need is a set of deltas for the attributes (which may be already stored anyway), and maybe deltas for value and star rating (or whatever else would change over time). I don't know how many actual player attributes there are, but say there are 20 attributes:

20 * (1 byte per attribute delta, since delta can only be in the range 0-20) + (4 bytes for player ID) + (6 bytes for date) = 30 bytes. For a database of 50,000 players, 50,000 * 30 = 1,500,000 bytes (1.5 MB). Not too bad at all. You could even make the storage even more compact by compressing the deltas, since you only need 5 bits to store a number ranging from 0-20. So you could pack 12 deltas into a 64-bit integer (8 bytes) to save space.

Edit: (I just realized you would need a sign bit for attribute decreases, so maybe 6 bytes instead of 5).

If I understand correctly (which I'm really not sure), you mean that it wouldn't increase the space needed for a save that much ! If so, it's a pretty good news to hear that it is feasable... Let's hope that SI will want to implement this as soon as possible !...

Ok.

Si, could you please deploy a official statement on the matter ?

Before saying that it is too late please think a moment about the fact that it does not impact the beta you are doing and it would take really few resources to get it in.

Thx

How could you possibly know if it would affect the Beta? How much resources it will take? Or the amount of time it would take to get this done?

Is it that vital for FM13? Why not wait for FM14?

There's a thread suggestion for future FMs - I suggest you post in there with a link to this thread.

I agree though, I would like to see this feature. How long it would take, how much resources, or if it has an impact on the Beta is a mystery though...

How could you possibly know if it would affect the Beta? How much resources it will take? Or the amount of time it would take to get this done?

Is it that vital for FM13? Why not wait for FM14?

There's a thread suggestion for future FMs - I suggest you post in there with a link to this thread.

I agree though, I would like to see this feature. How long it would take, how much resources, or if it has an impact on the Beta is a mystery though...

Eugene, you are a smart guy but sometimes it seems to me that you play too often the devil advocate's role for SI :)

Cm'on let's join us in the crusade against the evil !!! I am joking of course :)

You contribution would be appreciated.

Archived