[FM 12] The One, The Only, The...Cerud??

cerud

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you should definitely have done enough to keep LA behind you in your own conference, unlucky to lose to New York but you'd obviously already qualified so not to much to complain about. Good luck in the quarter finals and upcoming play-off's :thup:

Cheers, PaulHartman :) Feeling pretty confident right now against LA. Always nice to win against a club you've managed.

Tough defeat, but it doesn't matter since you already qualified.

Yeah, not too worried about it. Actually, I'm just happy to qualify out of what looked like a tough group.

17 October 2016

lancenet.gif

Brazilian Interest in Cerud Grows

Following the resignation of longtime manager Enderson Moreira from Goiás, speculation has once again moved to Vancouver manger Cerud as the leading candidate. With Cerud's current contract ending in just over two months, it is likely that interest will continue to grow the longer the Board from the Whitecaps hold out on negotiations with their manager.

goias.png

22 October 2016

Jornal_O_Tempo-logo-4F28F1A7F6-seeklogo.com.gif

With the interest newly shown from Goiás, rivals Independência have also spoken publically about the Canadian manager after the resignation of Ricardinho. Cerud, for his part, has remained silent on the issue.

independ.png

2016-2017 CONCACAF Champions League

19 October 2016

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png200px-Club_Guadalajara_crest.svg.png

Group C

Vancouver Whitecaps 1 -1 CD Guadalajara (Chivas)

A fairly even match. We were expected to lose to a stronger Mexican side; however, we ended up going ahead in the 28th minute. Chivas tied it up before the half and the rest of the match ended up being a fairly nervy affair, more based on defense than attack.

Group Stages

So, with the end of the group stages, we finish on top. Interestingly, New York used the tie we just had against Chivas to jump over the Mexican club and into the 2nd qualifying spot.

standuj.png

October 2016 Update

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Major League Soccer

The League

I knew that a good showing this month could guarantee us the Supporter's Shield so we went in with a mind to win. While Chivas USA gave us a bit of a scare, our next 3 matches all went our way. A great win against our rivals Toronto FC also brought our desire for silverware up as well.

fixko.png

CONCACAF Champions League

We finished our group stage with a tie against Chivas.

45691356.png

The Standings

stands.png

Managerial Thoughts

The playoffs have now been decided. As for wild card spots, 3 went to our conference with only 1 to the Eastern Conference. Guess that just highlights how much stronger the west is in the league. It was also nice to see all of the Cascadia clubs (Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland) in the playoffs. Should make things more interesting for us as we have a chance to play some rival clubs to us.

23 October 2012

Vancoubver%20SUN%20masthead%20logo.jpg

Whitecaps Win MLS Supporter's Shield

In achieving the highest point total in the regular season, the Vancouver Whitecaps have been awarded the MLS Supporter's Shield on the eve of the beginning of the playoffs. This marks their first even Supporter's Shield. The season has been a grand resurgence for the Whitecaps after wallowing in the lower half of the table only one year ago. Speaking to media during the presentation, Whitecaps manager Cerud had a few words.

"The Supporter's Shield is a great achievement for any club. The players have to be commended in their efforts. However, we are not finished as the playoffs will begin in a week for us. Our goal is to win the league and this trohpy, while nice, is only a stepping stone to what we want to achieve."

supportp.png

23 October 2012

Vancoubver SUN masthead logo.jpg

Whitecaps Win MLS Supporter's Shield

In achieving the highest point total in the regular season, the Vancouver Whitecaps have been awarded the MLS Supporter's Shield on the eve of the beginning of the playoffs. This marks their first even Supporter's Shield. The season has been a grand resurgence for the Whitecaps after wallowing in the lower half of the table only one year ago. Speaking to media during the presentation, Whitecaps manager Cerud had a few words.

"The Supporter's Shield is a great achievement for any club. The players have to be commended in their efforts. However, we are not finished as the playoffs will begin in a week for us. Our goal is to win the league and this trohpy, while nice, is only a stepping stone to what we want to achieve."

supportp.png

Another boring "Raware wins everything" thread.

Oh, hang on... :D

Congrats on SS!!!!!

Thanks, TheGreatTraveler!

Another boring "Raware wins everything" thread.

Oh, hang on... :D

Haha! I wish! :) Actually, in 6 different seasons, I've only won 1 league so far, in my 2nd season with Incheon Korail in South Korea. I've been promoted in other leagues, but through playoffs, not in winning the league. If I end up winning the MLS Cup, it will be only my 2nd win. But here's hoping! :)

Hopefully you can do well in the champions league next season!

I hope so :) It's odd...the Champions League run over the calandar year whereas the MLS plays within the calandar year. Can be tough to manage sometimes.

2016 Season In Review

1st Place - Runners Up in MLS Cup

The League

Standings - League | Conference

Past Positions - League | Conference

Fixtures - Our regular season was pretty special. We were able to use our early and mid-season dominance to help us through the leaner times towards the end. The schedule gets insanely busy towards the end. I was playing matches with only one or two day breaks in between. I would have at least half on my starting line in need of rest. Thankfully, I was able to rely on some key youth prospects who stepped up and played brilliantly. There's a couple for sure that will be in contention for a starting position in the new season already. However, the pace of the season took it's toll. Injuries piled up and this led into the playoffs.

The Playoffs

MLS Western Conference Semi Final Leg 1

Portland Timbers 1 - 5 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

The first match for us was in the semi finals as our league position gave us a berth higher than others. We were up against our rivals from Portland, a club that we had handled with ease in the regular season. The playoffs were not different. 5 goals from five different goalscorers.

MLS Western Conference Semi Final Leg 2

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 - 0 Portland Timbers

Vancouver Whitecaps FC win on aggregate 7-1

A home conservative affair at home. We led by 2 going into the half and then sat back. By this time the match was done anyways.

Heartbreak. In the 3rd minute, New York injured my top goalscorer and he had to leave. I was also reduced to 10 men in the 88th minute as all substitutions had been used and we were given yet another injury. Then, just when I figured time was to run out and I would have to find a way to win in extra time, New York made a break towards the 6 yard box. My defender, Williams, tackled the ball away, denying them the shot, but as my goalkeeper came out to play it, the tackle sent the ball past him and slowly creeping into the net. It was agonizingly slow to watch as there was nothing we could do. New York took the MLS Cup and the league title in extra time. However, it you look at the match stats, you can see that they dominated this match. It hurts to say, but the better team on the day won.

The Cups

Nutrilite Canadian Championship - This competition saw us take on the Montreal Impact and Toronto FC. It was only that we were expected to win and, as such, gave us the single Canadian spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Nutrilitecc.jpg

CONCACAF Champions League - So far, only the group stages have been completed. The draw for the Quarter Finals comes in mid-December with matches beginning in late February on the following year. We will have to wait until then to see who we face.

The Stats

Goals Scored - 97 (1st in league)

Goals Conceded - 41 (4th in league)

Average Attendance - 20 399 (5th in league)

The Players

Squad | Transfers - Quite a few changes in the squad, but that's typical of the MLS, given the manner in which trades occur for draft picks and such. As for our top players, there's a lot to choose from, but these 3 stood out.

Robbie Rajkovic - D C - Rajkovic was a rookie prospect that I found with FC Edmonton. I signed him and he responded immediately to training and mentoring. He also won a position in the rotation for centreback with two others. However, knee tendonitis at the end of the season cut him short as he will be out for 6 months.

Lee Nguyen - M R, AM RC - League leader in assists. I didn't think much of this player when I came to Vancouver. However, his speed and ability made him a staple and our main attacking force on the right.

Marinho - M/AM LC, ST - Second in scoring in the league. Unfortunately, we lose Marinho as he has signed on with Goiás FC in Brazil. I just couldn't afford the 400% wage raise he was demanding.

The Backroom

Finances - The pocketbook took a hit as our planned stadium expansion has begun.

Facilities - The expansion will add over 5 000 seats and will be done right on time for the beginning of the upcoming season. Unfortunately, some of our Champions League matches will be played during the construction phase, but we need the additional seats in the long run.

expando.png

The Awards

The Goals Revisited

• Draft well - Achieved. Several draft players had significant roles.
  • Make the playoffs - Achieved, although I was hoping for more.
  • Win the Canadian Championship - Achieved.

Plans for Next Season

I have just signed a two year contract for $500 000/year. My goal is to win the MLS Cup before I go. I'd also like to continue our exploits in the CONCACAF Champions League. But right now, the domestic league is a priority.

Great season, pity you couldn't do it in the final.

Thanks, deltablue. Yeah, that final goal in the 93rd minute really hurt.

echoing what delta said, really unlucky in the final of the MLS cup! At least you have the rest of the CL to look forward to!

I do! And a beneficial quarter final draw to boot! :)

You'll have the MLS cup next season,hopefully you can add the CL to it as well :D

Cheers, BWG. It would be great to add both, but we'll see. Mexican clubs are always a challenge for MLS clubs.

7 December 2016

logo.jpg

CONCACAF Champions League - Quarter Final Draw

So, the draw has happened and I think we got the best outcome we could have hoped for!

New England Revolution (USA) v Vancouver Whitecaps FC (CAN)

CD Cruz Azul (MEX) v New York Red Bulls (USA)

Sporting Kansas City (USA) v Chicago Fire (USA)

Deportivo Toluca (MEX) v CF Monterrey (MEX)

Amazingly, out of 8 clubs, 4 are MLS. The two Mexican clubs are also placed against each other in this round. The other is against the Red Bulls, my nemisis, so happy about that too. I don't think I could've asked for better :)

New England seem beatable to be honest.

My record against New England is good, so I'm very happy about it!

I wouldn't be surprised to see the MLS teams at one end of the bracket and the Mexican teams at the other end. CONCACAF likes a US (or Canadian) vs Mexico final...

Yeah...they love the TV sponsorship deals that they get ;)

To be fair, you did brilliantly to get out of that group. :thup:

Cheers, DazRTayler! That group stage was a gauntlet!

21 December 2016

6a00e54ef2975b8833015390149133970b-200wi

Vancouver manager Cerud has begun to be linked to several jobs in Europe, from Spain to England. However, it is Belgium side AA Gent that has shown the most interest as Cerud has become their number one candidate to take over the position previously held by Glen De Boeck. Cerud was away on holidays and unavailable for comment.

gente.png

23 December 2016

Chicago_Sun-Time_logo.jpg

Following the retiring of Teitur Thordarson, New England is looking for a new head coach. Perenial managerial candidate Cerud has been put forth as a potenital frontrunner. It is unlikely that Cerud would leave the Whitecaps for the Revolution, especially given that the two clubs will meet up in late February in the Quarter Final stage of the CONCACAF Champions League.

englandoa.png

2017 Pre-Season

The Stats

Major League Soccer: Reach the Conference Final of the MLS

Nutrilite Canadian Championship: Win the Canadian Championship

CONCACAF Champions League: Reach the Quarter Final

Wage Budget: $4 453 779 (+ $647545 from last season)

Currently Spending: $5 951 546 (+ $1 641 536 from last season)

Salary Cap: $3 564 704 (+ $154 918 from last season)

Spending minus Allowance: $2 990 707 (+ $1 046 406 from last seasn; $573 997 cap space available)

Allocation Funds: $952 909 (- $50 816 from last seson)

Kit Sponsorship: $2.22M (expires 2019)

Additional Kit Sponsorship: $101K (expires 2019)

Average Ticket Price: $32.50 (+ $0.40 from last season)

Average Season Ticket Price: $480 (+ $67 from last season)

Season Ticket Holders: 18 668 (+ 2 717 from last season)

Estimated Value: $45.5M (- $10.5M from last season)

National Club Ranking in USA: 15th (+2 spots)

Goals

• Win the MLS Cup
  • Win the Canadian Championship, again
  • Reach Semi Final of CONCACAF Champions League

This club should be competing as Canada's representative in the CONCACAF Champions League every year. This means that the Canadian Championship must be won every year. They also deserve an MLS Cup and I aim to give it to them.

2017 MLS SuperDraft and Supplemental Draft

MLS SuperDraft

1st Round

2nd Round

3rd Round

MLS SuperDraft Grades

• Philadelphia - A+
  • Houston - A+
  • Real Salt Lake - B
  • Portland - B
  • FC Dallas - B
  • San Jose - B
  • DC United - B-
  • Chicago - B-
  • Seattle - C+
  • New York - C+
  • Chivas USA - C+
  • Columbus - C+
  • Colorado - C+
  • Sporting Kansas City - C+
  • Los Angeles - C
  • Toronto FC - D
  • Vancouver - D
  • New England - E

MLS Supplemental Draft

We waived all of our draft picks in the Supplemental Draft as there were no players would be able to make the squad.

Pretty good season at Vancouver, good luck in the new season and the Champions League quarters!
Got a good chance at glory this time.
Good luck with your season aims.
Good luck for the new season and hope you can get past New England in the CL :thup:
Excellent first season with the Whitecaps!

Good luck with the CL knockout rounds; you've got a good chance of some silverware there :)

Thanks all! Our matches against New England for the Champions League will end up being part of our pre-season, so they get underway here quickly.

19 February 2017

espn-soccernet.png?w=600

Nigerian National Team Changes Up as Cerud Steps In

With the CAF World Cup Qualifiers gearing up to begin in earnest in March, Nigeria has opted for a new approach to their game and system. Current Vancouver Whitecaps manager Cerud has been hired to break the nation into the World Cup in Russia next year. While the African nation has never won football's top prize, they are a common fixture in its hunt.

Interestingly, Cerud has decided to retain his domestic club duties while taking on the newe position. In a news conference earlier today, he stated,

"I know that many feel that split duties is too much for a manager. However, we continually ask of our players to be game ready in domestic league, domestic cups, continental Champions Leagues, as well as their own international commitments. I believe that I am capable of the same."

cerud.png

Nigeria-national-football-team.jpg

Nigeria National Football Team - Nigeria Football Association

The decision to take the Nigerian job was a complete surprise. I wasn't expecting to be asked, never applied, and didn't know it was even available. However, the 2018 World Cup is a year away and this may be my chance to get in. The CAF World Cup Qualifiers are happening right now, so that will be my first concern.

The Stats

FIFA CAF World Cup Qualifiers: Qualify easily from the Final of the Qualifiers

Capital City: Abuja

National Population: 156M

Rival Nations: Ghana, Cameroon, The Ivory Coast, South Africa

Agreements: Cotonou

FIFA World Ranking: 34th

National Stadium: Abuja Stadium

Stadium Capacity: 60 000

Here's a picture of Abuja Stadium...

ng-abuja-nationalstadion1.jpg

Top Players

John Obi Mikel - DM, M C - Plays for Sevilla in Spain's La Liga.

Izunna Uzochukwu - DM, M C - Plays for Vitesse in Netherland's Eredivisie.

Taye Taiwo - D/WB L - Plays for Newcastle in England's Premier League.

Mark Opara - D C, DM, M C - Plays for Sparta Prague in the Czech Republic's Gambrinus Liga.

John Chibuike - M L, AM LC, ST - Plays for AZ in Netherland's Eredivisie.

Angelo Ogbonna - D LC - Plays for Torino in Italy's Serie A.

22 February 2017

New-england-revolution_logo.gif200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Quarter Final Leg 1

New England Revolution 0 - 6 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

We showed up to play. Not sure where New England went. It was a great away match. Both of our new strikers scored on their debuts, including a hattrick for Orlando Gaono Lugo, our new DP player. It looked as though the Revolution were going to give us a good match, but once the first goal went in for us, they just quit.

1 March 2017

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.pngNew-england-revolution_logo.gif

Quarter Final Leg 2

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 5 - 0 New England Revolution

Whitecaps win 11-0 on aggregate

I started a few of our youth prospects in this match and they didn't disappoint. Darren Mattocks, in his debut return in a Whitecaps jersey, scored 2 goals as we took the round in a commanding fashion.

So, the draw for the Semi Final is next. Here's the next round.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC (CAN) v CD Cruz Azul (MEX)

Chicago Fire (USA) v CF Monterrey (MEX)

Cruz Azul will be a tough match. However, we have played a Mexican club in the group stage and did well. HOpefully, we can carry our form.

9 March 2017

Vancoubver%20SUN%20masthead%20logo.jpg

BC Place Now Ready for Bigger and Better

BC Place, home of the Vancouver Whitecaps, was unveiled today as the expansion was completed on time. The stadium now has a capacity of 26 250. It is likely that this capacity will be put to the test as the Whitecaps play with next match at home against Mexican club CD Cruz Azul in the Semi Finals of the CONCACAF Champions League.

expansion.png

15 March 2017

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.pngcruz_azul_logo1.jpg?w=200&h=200

Semi Final Leg 1

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - 2 CD Cruz Azul

We had a great start to this match, going up 3-0 into the half. However, Cruz Azul were not going to just hand us the match. They battled back in the second with a blistering distance shot in the 53rd minute. In the 73rd minute, Rivas made a bad tackle in our penalty area. Luckily, he didn't get carded as it would have been his second yellow of the match. On the ensuing penalty shot, Bianco went top right corner, but our goalkeepr Heimann made a brilliant save! They did get one more as a mad scramble in our 6 yard box ended up bouncing off our goalkeeper, but we take the first match with a goal in hand.

Good luck with Nigeria going into WCQ. And big win over the Revs there. So I guess you're ready to dominate MLS in the regular season and playoffs. :D

Thanks, rancer :) Yeah, the MLS is mine!

2017 CAF World Cup Qualifiers

The Qualifiers have already started. Out of 6 matches, 2 have been played.

standzl.png

We'll need to win a few and hope for some luck in someone beating Senegal.

3 March 2017

nigeria.jpg1509083820.png

Group Stage

Nigeria 8 - 0 Chad

We were expected to win the match, but not like this! My first foray into international senior management was a whopper, which included Ighalo getting 4 goals and becoming Nigeria's top all tiime goalscorer. It also keeps us close to Senegal in the standings as we need to catch them.

2017 Off-Season Transfers

Squad | Transfers - Another busy off-season, but a very productive one. We revamped quite a few areas, including losing one DP and bringing in another.

Chronology

26 November 2016 - released André-Pierre Gignac on waivers.

26 November 2016 - traded Mladenko Markovic to the Philadelphia Union for a 2018 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (Philadelphia).

26 November 2016 - traded Mark Valle to the San Jose Earthquakes for a 2017 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (San Jose).

27 November 2016 - traded $500K in allocation money, a 2017 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (New York), a 2017 Supplemental Draft 1st Round pick (Vancouver), and a 2018 SuperDraft 3rd Round pick (Portland) to FC Dallas for Noel Gallegos.

12 December 2016 - traded $300K in allocation money, a 2017 Supplemental Draft 2nd Round pick (Colorado), and a 2018 Supplemental Draft 1st Round pick (Vancouver) to Toronto FC for Darren Mattocks.

13 December 2016 - traded John Silver to Chivas USA for a 2017 SuperDraft 2nd Round pick (Seattle).

1 January 2017 - Marinho signs with Goiás EC (Brazil) on a free transfer.

12 January 2017 - MLS SuperDraft

16 January 2017 - traded Jonathan Reis to América FC (MG) (Brazil) for $2M.

17 January 2017 - MLS Supplemental Draft

21 January 2017 - signed Ali Bamba on a free transfer.

21 January 2017 - signed Orlando Gaona Lugo on a free transfer.

25 January 2017 - traded $60K to Petrojet (Egypt) for Michael Boateng.

9 March 2017 - released Valerio Marino, Jhon Valencia, and Alex McKendry on waivers.

9 March 2017 - MLS Waiver Draft

2017 End of Pre-Season

The Matches

Canada - Whitecaps FC Prospects - won 6-0

Canada - Victoria United - won 11-0

Canada - Abbotsford Mariners - won 3-0

Pre-Season Thoughts

We also used our CONCACAF Champions League matches against New England and CD Cruz Azul as pre-season matches. This is a bigger squad, using a maximum of all 30 slots. We will have a busy schedule, busier than last year given that we are still in the Champions League right now. I will be needing the depth for squad rotation.

I am continually seeing my name attached to jobs. I think my reputation has increased somewhat because I've started to become the prime candidate for a few Scottish Premier League and Germany Bundesliga jobs. I still want to accomplish a bit with Vancouver before I go, so I will likely see out this year for sure. Next year...we'll see ;)

Archived