FM2012 not running on Mac - SI aware and looking into it

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil, I have never been able to run the game. I downloaded it on Friday, and it has not worked. I have enough free memory and my processors are fine. I do think it has to do with steam, but I don't know. Are there other people for whom FM is still not loading, even with updates?

I'm not sure how to classify what graphics card I have on my Mac. But here is a copy and paste of the Graphics/Displays section of "About this Mac." I'm sure the relevant name/number is listed:

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

I really do love Football Manager, and have done for many years....but there have been way to many issues over the past few years. General issues with Mac compatibility, but mainly huge issues with Steam. Please SI, go back to the way it was before Steam and do us all a favour.

PS Please get this CPU issue sorted ASAP.

just checked mine and its running at 100% cpu usage. my macbook pro sounds like its about to launch missiles.

hope they fix this asap

Mine was at 202% steady at one point, it was like an aeroplane was taking off in my room :D.

• Administrators
Neil, I have never been able to run the game. I downloaded it on Friday, and it has not worked. I have enough free memory and my processors are fine. I do think it has to do with steam, but I don't know. Are there other people for whom FM is still not loading, even with updates?I'm not sure how to classify what graphics card I have on my Mac. But here is a copy and paste of the Graphics/Displays section of "About this Mac." I'm sure the relevant name/number is listed:Intel GMA 950: Chipset Model: GMA 950 Type: GPU Bus: Built-In VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory Vendor: Intel (0x8086) Device ID: 0x27a2 Revision ID: 0x0003 Displays:Color LCD: Resolution: 1280 x 800 Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888) Main Display: Yes Mirror: Off Online: Yes Built-In: YesDisplay Connector: Status: No Display Connected

I'm very sorry to say your graphics card is below minimum specs for FM12 and you will not be able to run the game. Sorry about that.

The CPU issue is still being investigating, it's a case of tracking it down and again rolling out the fix.

Still not working, i tried to force close the steam after launching FM2012, but then FM2012 used all the CPU.

Neil Brock, any news from Valve have they found anything major yet? Can we expect this to be fixed even today?

Hey Guys,

best thing to do until the over clocking is fixed it to roll back to the previous version of steam, you can do this by doing the following:

Steam uninstall/reinstall:

1. Go to 'Applications' in a Finder window, and drag Steam to Trash

2. when asked if you want to keep files or delete make sure you KEEP files (i think its the option on the left)

3. Empty Trash

4. Redownload and install Steam

5. Allow it to autoupdate

6. Launch FM

This worked for me and my friends, the only thing you need to remember is that you CANNOT restart steam or your computer afterwords!! if you do then steam will update again and the overclocking problem will return!

just check this forum every now and then to see when the overclocking is fixed, that way you know when you can update.

I don't seem to have any problem at all - on or offline.

One question - and this may be me being dense - is the fact that the CPU % goes over 100% even an issue? Because if its 100% of not alot then it isnt an issue? Take this screenshot from elbryan's post earlier... http://cl.ly/0Y301q462l3r1O3N0J3e Yes his CPU% is high but it is a high percentage of low usage as in the bottom left corner it says that the overall CPU usage is 75% idle. This is what I occasionally see on my system but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm guessing i'm being over simplistic and hopefully someone can explain why i'm wrong!!

D

The CPU issue has been fixed: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30418789&postcount=7

Auto-update and enjoy!

@Ipswich: it's because I have 8 cores and 2 were busy with Steam: 2/8 = 25% busy (75% idle)

:D

Ok - I won't lie I'm still confused! I also have 8 cores... Is that saying that to run fm and steam as well as OS that the system only needs 25% of the available processing power?

D

Well.. it's a little bit different. The thing is that these programs are not covering all the available processing units. Furthermore the OS, once loaded, resides in the memory and there's no actual process which is needed to consume the CPU (in a sense).

It will take five years to me to explain this in detail. Just play FM :p

I seem to have the right build of Steam but it still seems incredibly sluggish and ive had two "crashes" we're the comp just go bananas and steam close down and little bit later fm closes down, and all my progress is lost even with auto saves. This have never happened to me before this steam hick-up...

I really do love Football Manager, and have done for many years....but there have been way to many issues over the past few years. General issues with Mac compatibility, but mainly huge issues with Steam. Please SI, go back to the way it was before Steam and do us all a favour.

PS Please get this CPU issue sorted ASAP.

Fully agree I love FM 2012 but not a fan of steam

I post this in another thread, seems that this one is more popular. Until early this week I was a happy manager of a small Chilean team, now I can not enter FM12 in my MAC. I have deleted steam with appcleaner now three times, re-downloading FM the same amount of times, and the game refuses to start. I only see the initial flash screen, but when it is about to show the main screen (the one with new game, load game, etc) the only thing I got is an screen that says "Loading" in a bunch of languages.

As you can see in

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/fm2012.png/

The CPU usage of FM is 110%!

Thought I was the only one. I have an i5 processor and 8GB of ram on my macbook pro and my FM crashes regularly (usually when using the match engine but sometimes just browsing). I think the problem is with Steam though, b/c I've started to notice that Steam usually closes shortly before it crashes.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any more news with this? I updated my Steam a few days ago after not playing FM for a couple of months, and my FM pops up with a launch message when I try to open it, but this only flashes up for about a second, and then nothing else happens.

Archived