FM12: Borussia Dortmund - 'Wo Champions sind Geboren'

NorthernGooner

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halfway through my first season, just about to kick off the second half versus Koln at home. Top of the league by ten points from Bayern and into the knockout phase as the CL finishing runners up to City in a group that also contained Porto and Marseilles. Despite all this success I'm far from happy with my squad - I've spent all season so far tinkering with tactics and winning games through strength of will alone - most of our goals come in the last ten minutes, and we're winning games 2-1 on average. Still I've settled on a tactic i think is balanced now between attack and defense - still sticking to a 2-4-3-1 formation.

Pros: Finally got Gotze ticking, his stats are really only half the story, if I had a stat for assisting assists he would be top by miles - at the heart of everything good we do. Jelle Vossen has been a real hit with 9 goals, and Agogo has 9 assists as well. Kara is an absolute monster on the park, protecting my small forward players. Kagawa has been average to good, again with 9 goals. Grosskreutz is by far and away the best player in the squad, he works like trojan and takes alot of pressure of Mario - I'm tempted to make him captain at the end of the season, this man would die for the club - 9 goals and 8 assists really are only half the story.

Cons: Perisic has spent the whole season so far injured or coming back from injury - which is upsetting because in pre season and the half season friendlies he has looked immense. Hopefully now he has full fitness he can start reproducing that kind of form in the games that count. Subotic has been a big disappointment, slow, making poor decisions and quite fond of sticking the ball in his own net. Barrios, only 6 goals and injury prone, hauled off at halftime once too often.

January Business:

Out:

Lowe 1.1Mill to vitese - was never going to make it at this level.

Barrios 16.5Mill rising to 19.5Mill to Liverpool - good luck to him and their physios.

Subotic 22Mill to Chelsea with 25% sell on clause - they offered 19Mill and I negotiated up, I reckon it's too much money to turn down.

In:

Leandro Daimao 19Mill - expensive I know, but I haven't had a go with him on FM yet, and his strength and physicality is a real bonus.

Mehmet Ekici 15Mill - again alot of cash, I read about this youngster in World Soccer a few months back and suddenly remembered him, should really add to the squad depth in attack - sadly out for four weeks, but I can't wait to see him in action.

Jan vergonthen 9.5Mill - fingers crossed on this, deal not done yet. Subotic replaced effectively I would say.

Tony jantschke - free, bargain, scout says he could be quality and I need cover at right back (arrives July)

I'm happy with the way the team is shaping up, and am quietly confident we can beat Inter in the first knockout round of the CL.

I'll see how they do, quite pleased with the signings for what they cost me.

Wish I'd remembered about Fierro though!! I'll try and keep with this save, will hopefully be into it and enjoying it by sunday.

If you forgot Fierro then go for Erick Torres, what a good future of strikers Mexico has

On deadline day I thought I might as well do something abuot my current striker crisis, not an injury crisis but a goal scoring crisis with Barrios and Lewandowski not hitting the goal enough so I brought in Erick Torres although against my no non EU player rule but he should be breathing down there necks

Plus huge potential, ill update as to his development

Dillemma ! Just got an offer of 26 million € on Kagawa with only one year left on his contract and he wants to go... Sell or not? And whoe to replace him ? Ekici, Schürle or Reus or a fourth alternative? What would you suggest?

I wish he wouldnt want to go, he is really a beast!

Well, in any normal situation where he is on a long-term contract I would definitely say 'No'. But, considering that he is in his last year of his contract and he wants to leave, I would accept it. Who have come in for him, by the way? I agree, he is a great player for BVB and Japan as a nation :thup:

As for a replacement, I would recommend André Schürrle of Leverkusen, Marco Reus on Mochengladbach or Christian Eriksen of Ajax :thup:

Sell him -

Where did you play Kagawa?

If you play him on the right side, I'd probably go for Reus as replacement, at least in my game he was available for half the price of Schürrle and he is a former Dortmund player so he counts as home-grown:thup:

If you played him on the left you should go for Podolski

If you play him as AM you could just use Moritz Leitner if you want to save the money, otherwise a cheap option could be Leanardo Bittencourt.

Mostly played him at the right side or in the middle. I have Götze, Leitner and Lucas Andersen for the middle, so I'll probably go for Reus.

City made the offer and after some negotiations i actually got 32 million €, but still sad that he left.

Kagawa came to me three days before the CL final and told me he wanted a move to a bigger club - I tried arguing, but he was having none of it. So he completly disrrupted my plans for the final, and then moved for 16Mill to ummm Ajax :/ .

I'm looking for a left footed attacking midfielder to play as IF, preferably under 22, less than 5million with low wages. A big ask I know!

Full season update in about an hour or so.

I'm stuck at work at the mo - hence lack of update, will have to check your youngster from bestikas out when I get home - but that sounds ideal.

I picked up Reus for 14Mill, can't remember what wage, but not that much, in pre season before the start of the second season (to replace Kagawa). Not played him yet tho...

Does it still count as a double post if its a whole day after the last? So getting ready to kick off my second season with Dortmund, opening with the super cup versus Bayern. There have been a few more comings and going then I had wanted over the summer, two players I had hoped would stay, Perisic and Kagawa departed, leaving a hole in my attacking midfield - I've done my best to fill it but despite winning the Bundesliga at a canter and losing 2-1 in the final of the CL against Mess... I mean Barcelona my budget has been really limited - just 12million with only a 300k increase to the wage budget, to 4mill!

First things first the second half of last season. Like I said the Bundesliga was a canter, we finished on 98 points (drawing three games 0-0 around big European matches), top result was a 3-0 win away at Bayern. Europe was, in a word, exciting. Inter Milan in the quarter finals were a tough proposition, but after snatching a 1-1 draw in the dying moments at home - following an immense display from Hummels, we beat them comfortably when they tried to open up against us in Milan 2-0. Ekici was the real star, scoring once and laying on a goal for Leandro. Real in the semis was epic, in Madrid we sliced them to ribbons with Ekicic and Gotze blending with Leandro beautifully, and Grosskreutz (who bagged a goal) doing the leggwork to allow the others to roam free, however, somehow we only manged to come away with a 2-2 draw. When they cam to Dortmund it was a different story, Madrid and Mourihno were utterly smashed, we were 3-0 up with five minutes to play, Leandro had scored goal of the century (a volley on the angle, think Van Basten but add an extra 10 yards), it really should have been 8-0. At this point Marcelo decided he would break Agogo's leg - I'm impressed by the games realism, tho i wish it would let me walk on the pitch to thump the hell out of the little **** - Madrid scored two ininjury time with my team shell shocked by the injury, the game finished 3-2, justice was done, we would get to tussle with Barca in the final. In the end that injury may have cost us the game, with Pizcek also injured we were left short at wing back, and inexperience in these positions cost us both of Messi's goals in a valiant, but probably inevitable defeat. Gotze did score a brilliant goal, to give us a 1-0 lead. The team was also left upset and dirupted by Kagawa's infamous decision to issue a transfer request a few days before the match.

I was pleased with my signings, Ekici and Leandro particularly.

Out:

Vossen 9Mill to Blackburn (had a poor second half of last season, and I decided his lack of physical attributes meant he didn't fit the team)

Kagawa 16Mill to Ajax (still scratching my head at this one)

Perisic 5Mill to Werder Bremen (i was a little shocked when following Kagawa's departure he also wanted away)

Lewandowski 7Mill to Betis (i reckon this is a good price, when Perisic left I decided to completly overhaul my options in the front 4)

Langerak 4Mill to Brestios 29 (actually my first choice from December so this was a tough decision)

I also released a huge number of kids, and sold some fringe players for a combined total of 4Mill

In:

Ter Stegen 13Mill (wasn't so fussed about Langerak after this)

Reus 14.5Mill (had a worryingly poor pre season, but I reckon he is just bedding back in)

Fierro 1.25Mill (wait and see how he develops, probably a long term replacement for Kagawa)

Sigthorsson 9.5Mill (in the same mold as Leandro, looking for a big season from the young Icelander)

Gaitan 6Mill (A bit of a punt but I was desperate for a left footer)

Jantschke free (cover at right wing back, a free 22year old is always a good investment)

So still sticking with 2-4-3-1 and fingers crossed when Barca comes back around we'll stuff them. Oh and I was delighted, Paval Nedved has taken over as chairman at Juve, how cool is that.

Halfway through my first season :) sitting 3 points behind bayern who are top of the league and im 2nd :)

Transfers In: Mario Fernandes RB (7mill) Gojko Kacar DM/CM (8mill) Mattias Johansson RB(1m has potential to be key player) Carlos Fierro ST( 1.2m will become on of best strikers on game)

EDIT: Oh and please welcome Marek Hamsik( 6.5m and 22.5m over 48 months :D)

Sitting him as a Ball Winning Midfielder aloneside Sven Bender as an Anchorman, nothing gets past them

You don't find Kacar tends to move out of position a lot due to his PPMs? That's the issue I've been having with him, playing as Hamburg.

Just heading into the second half of the first season. One point behind Köln with quite a gap to the rest of the pack, through to the knock-out stages in CL thanks to a 4-1 win at Old Trafford.

Perisic top performer so far with the highest rating in league, 7 goals and 10 assist in 22 games. Subotic runner-up as the joint top scorer in all competitions :D and also namned in the 2012 World Team of the Year.

Chose BVB in my first save of FM2012. Finished 3rd in the first season and dominated the league since then. I think their initial squad is very good, maybe just need a good RB. Sold Lewendowski to PSG for 7.5m and brought Vrsaljko for 3m and Kadlec for 2m.

I mainly played 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3. One player I particularly liked is Ivan Perisic. He played very well as an inside forward on the left wing, getting loads of goals. On the other hand, Mario Götze failed to perform most of the time…

OP said that Shinji Kagawa once stated that he would stay at Dortmund for the foreseeable future. However, in my game his future plan was “would rather not to play in German” -_-! In the third season he wouldn’t renew his contract, so I had to sell him to OM for 21.5m.

bundesligacampo.png

This is my first eleven. I'll edit here with players instructions soon.

Lewandowski is first choice cause Doumbia is injured, but the ivory coast player is my best poacher.

Nice team you've put together there; glad to see you've kept hold of Götze and Hummels :thup: May I just ask, where is Kagawa? Have you sold him?

By the way, how did you post a screenshot like that? It looks pretty good :)

Going to start a Dortmund game playing a narrow 4-2-3-1 with two DMs and 3 AMs. I'm also hoping to eventually entirely Germanise the side, which will probably mean Subotic out and perhaps Reinartz and Friedrich in for the first transfer window at the very least, but Kagawa/Perisic can stay for a season at the least. I'll update you all on both transfers and progress.

Nice team you've put together there; glad to see you've kept hold of Götze and Hummels :thup: May I just ask, where is Kagawa? Have you sold him?

By the way, how did you post a screenshot like that? It looks pretty good :)

Kagawa were sold to PSG for 11M euros. He went unhappy in my team and asked to get a better club, so i send him out.

I did this field in Photoshop to my history at Fórum Manager, the official Brazilian FM forum.

And i sold Subotic and signed with Dedé, from Vasco da Gama. He's more faster.

Hello there. Haven't played since FM10 now, but strongly consider buying this version. I've never tried managing a team in the Bundesliga, but with the development the league has had the last few years - especially the amount of talent who get the chance at a young age - it seems just as exciting as the other big leagues.

Anyway, on FM10 I enjoyed some success with this formation:

...................GK.................

RB.........DC..........DC........LB

..................DM.................

...........MC............MC.........

....ST.........FWD..........ST...

As you probably notice, positionally it's inspired by the way Barcelona has played since they started using Messi as the false no.9 - with the central forward being either a trequartista (ex: Totti, Messi) or someone who is good playing back to goal; not necessarily quick or a fantastic passer or dribbler, but someone who plays intelligently (ex: Kuyt). I tried this tactic with both Roma and Liverpool by the way, and both Totti and Kuyt played the role well.

The two wide strikers are the runners, preferably quick and/or good dribblers who can make clever runs between defenders. As for the two MC's: one playmaker and one worker (although he also has to be a decent passer of the ball) who does a lot of dirty work and can chip in with the odd goal.

So, based on this scetch of a tactic, does anyone think Dortmund have the players to execute it, or do they have the wrong type of strikers and midfielders? I'm picturing Barrios/Lewandowski in the FWD role; mabe Kagawa and Götze as the runners.

I'm not sure... Probably not the greatest formation for Goetze, and he is by far the outstanding player in the team both now and potentially. His Finishing and Composure is his only real weakpoint, and though it can be improved, he's more playmaker than goalscorer and can't really play MC defensively. I'd say you'd have to retrain him to be your false 9, then use Barrios/Perisic/Kagawa/Grosskreutz/maybe Lewandowski as your runners, all of whom would do a decent enough job I'm sure. Then it's up to you whether a Bender/Kehl/Gundogan midfield trio is creative enough for you. They're all excellent players and offer a nice mix of skills coupled with brilliant defensive ability, but you won't play much like Barcelona. Still, though I see Dortmund as a pretty much perfect 4-2-3-1 side, you could add to the squad, and you could definitely make it work if you tailor the squad to the tactic - there are so many excellent players that any formation can be played with this side assuming you put a little work and thought into it.

I used Götze as a poacher for a half season in the first season, he ended with season with almost a goal pr game in the league. His finishing might be low, but his great technique and decision making makes up for it. He probably won't have any problems with playing as one of the wide strikers anyway, but I think he would be better as the FWD, and then you can use Barrios as one of the wide forwards.

I have been thinking about playing him (Götze) as a deep lying forward or trequartista in a flat 4-4-2. Mainly because I am tired of always playing 4-2-3-1, and if I retrain him as a striker I actually have the 4 strikers needed to be able to rotate. ATM I have 3 strikers (Fierro, Damiao and Mlapa) for 1 position which is a bit much.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I've never really had too much success playing 4-2-3-1 (a formation I'm very fond of in real life), which is how I eventually ended up with this formation. I like my attacking players (front three or four) to operate quite close to each other, playing quick one-two's and neat little through balls through the centre, but no matter how much I tweaked the variations of 4-2-3-1 I couldn't make it work properly, mainly because my wingers played either too wide or too deep; not close enough to my striker and AM and not making the type of runs I wanted them to.

Also, I tend to give away a bit too much space between defence and midfield when playing without a DM, which is why I often end up with a midfield trio where I allow one of them to be a bit of a luxury player - a creative player whose only defensive duties are getting back in position and close down a bit.

Anyway, ordering the game right now, should have it by tuesday or wednesday. Looking forward to test it with this young and exciting Dortmund side.

Just started a save with the mighty yellows....focusing on a 4-2(DM)-1(CM)-2(AML,AMR)-1

Transfers in

Cigerci

Vrasljko

De Bruyne

Reinartz

Kovacic

Fierro

Transfers Out

Kagawa - didn't want to play for us when Chelsea came sniffing - £15M

Santana - £750K loan fee - with a £2.25M option to buy

Da Silva - £100K

Fringe - £1M

A couple of lesser players released on frees.

Went through pre-season unbeaten.....Gotze and Barrios picked up short injuries which mean't they missed the super cup and 1st rnd of the German cup although no real issues as we strolled both of them.

Results so far

Super Cup - Schalke - Won 4-1 (Lewandowski hat-trick)

Cup 1st Rnd - Wendeck - Won 8-0 (Lewandowski and Perisic hat-tricks)

Lge - A - Leverkusen - Won 4-0

Lge - H - HSV - won 2-0

Lge - A - Frieburg - drew 1-1

Lge - H - Wolfsburg - Won 3-1

Cigerci has been 4.5 stars potential in both my saves so far...got him for £3M

Thanks.....One thing I have noticed is Koln appear to be the major threat not Munchen...this appears the case in other saves in this thread too

Köln has been 5th every season in my game. Currently 3rd in this season, 15 points from the 2nd place, and 20 points from me in 1st.

5th seems fair to me, that's where I would expect Köln to end up after a good season. What's weird in my game is both Stuttgart and HSV have been relegated.

Won the league in my 3rd season after two years of finishing 3rd. Walked it this time actually, all thanks to Damiao who had 37 goals in 32 appearances in the league (47 in 43 appearances for the entire season). Absolute monster this year.

My current first 11 is:

Ter Stegen

Mario Subotic Hummels Schmelzer

Hamsik Bender

Großkreutz Eriksen Gotze

Damiao

In the off season now, want to stengthen my FB areas. Have rejected bids of 12 million for Schmelzer from Leverkusen as I couldn't find a good enough replacement. Also rejected a 40 million pound offer for Hummels, he's just too important to the team.

Got a few days left until I play Schalke in my first real game of the season (1st season).

I have developed 3 tactics that I will use. The first two are variations of a 4-2-3-1 formation. One of them is basically a bit asymetric so I can have a CM as well and a left midfielder. The final tactic is for very tough away games and is a 4-5-1.

No real signings of note yet. Lowe has played well in the friendlies at LB and I am relying on Koch to come back from injury and fulfill his potential. Lewandowski has performed well in the friendlies. Had some bad games and some good but still getting used to the tactic. Got a deal for Vorsah delayed as I may be buying a CB called Wollscheid as he is young and German. Other than that I have bought Zohore and looking at bringing in some more youth (under 17).

Once Koch is over his injury, and you have him on the right training schedule then he can easily become a great RB, also I don't really rate Lowe but since I didn't get to buy a back-up LB for Sczmelzer he actually hasn't done too bad when I have needed to count on him.

You don't find Kacar tends to move out of position a lot due to his PPMs? That's the issue I've been having with him, playing as Hamburg.

He hasnt set a foot wrong for me, i was worried about his concentration at first but he's really showing what he can do for me, he keeps scoring from corners also just runs in to the back post and BOOM GOAL, hes scored like 9 for me last season.

Archived