FM12: Borussia Dortmund - 'Wo Champions sind Geboren'

NorthernGooner

kudos!!

But getting down to Europa League and winning it.. I would rate my Champions league beating against Barcelona (CL-Quarter Finals) higher than that.

True. But my point was that you don't need new signings to have a successful season. Nothing more. ;)

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
infact Weidenfeller is much better than Ter-Stegen for the first season at least. just compare the stats.

And unlike other players goalkeepers retain their peak till mid 30's

But Ter Stegen is only 19 years old and will hold the goalkeeper jersey for at least 15 seasons and he becomes World class goalkeeper after a year or two.

WOW! Congratulations mate! Will take quite a while for me to achieve something like that i think...especially as I have the reputation "sunday-league footballer" and most of the players at team talks just ignore me :(

Nevertheless , great win ! And good luck for the semi final :)

BTW what is that great skin youre using?

@stampler: As an unknown semi-German English coach, even I had problem to motivate my squad to play for me during the first season. Just wisely use Calm, Passionate and Aggressive team talks and never forget to use the special ones that popup on your screen just before special fixtures.

btw Montoya is facing some problems settling down in Germany. Sent him on a break but he still turned happy after sometime. I guess its a moment to capitalize, more so when Romario is gonna be available for free next season :D

skin: that's Infusse.

Thanks for the hints :)

For Montoya, I would suggest signing a (cheap/unattached) fellow countryman (or even one player he recommends when asked) to make it easier for him (worked for me at least in the last FM versions).

Romario will be a great signing!

I will try to sign that bulgarian DR in the next transfer window, though Pisczek is doing great ATM...

yup Pisczek has been gr8. Have you utilized his long throws?? I have set him on long throws from right and he got me two goals till now. haven't mastered it though.

I am getting 6m for Montoya, whom I signed for free. Plus in the coming season I am just looking to sign a decent BWM to cover Sven.

Did I mentioned that signing Falcao was a great help may be not on pitch but got an immediate boost on T-shirt sales. And the board granted my request to increase my wage budget citing its important to attract high profile players.

Further more can you imagine Dortmund having a feeder club..

DortmundAffiliatedClubs_Current.png

good wheeling and dealing there with Montoya :)

Brugge seems fine for a feeder club i think they could have good prospects in their youth team as well!

I havent used his long throws, I always play with short throws anyway.

Tonight im gonna continue my save...

retirements2.png

retirements1.png

My two best Scouts (FeldKamp & Todd Grip) and two best coaches (Ray Clemence and Otto Baric) have set their sights on retirement. It would be tough to find an ideal replacement for them. But its too much of a news for me just before my Champions League Final.

That said lets get back to work...

Many fans of Dortmund look fondly back on the glory days of the 90′s. Lars Ricken’s goal that snatched the west-Germans first Champions League title, the last minute win of the Bundesliga title in 1995 and the successful campaign to defend the title a year later is the stuff dreams are made of.

A return to glory?

While the golden age of the 90′s have seemed to be something of a distant past in recent years, the fans of the West-German side that was named after a local brewery had much to cheer for this season. A Champions League title and a third consecutive Bundesliga top spot, Borussia surely have surpassed the golden age of 90's.

Their offensive playing style was helped by the arrival of Daniel Sturridge and Giovanni Dos Santos, who have probably been the best signing of last summer’s transfer window. Furthermore the young guns like Goetze, Gundogan and Sven Bender have grown into their own. While a few years back Borussia side reeked of talent, this year’s side is filled with players good enough to play on the international level for their countries.

The defense around Subotic, Hummels and Adler looks hard to breach. Subotic and Hummels have really impressed most experts with their cool, calm and collected defensive efforts this season. It is noteworthy that they have conceded just once in the bundesliga this season when all three of them were on the field. Even the prosepects like Stefan Bell and Miranda now seem to be pushing for their position in first team squad. The influx of talent that started under Klopp has found its meaning under the new Dortmund favorite Brian Clough.

Leaving aside the three defeats, against Man Utd and Barcelona in the Champions League and Nurnberg in the Bundesliga, Dortmund has shown an utter desire and industriousness to win them all. Brian Clough surely is the mastermind behind this success.

The top European clubs are known to poach away the talented young players from any rising squads. It is now up to Brian Clough, if he’ll be able to retain his talented squad intact. Failing that? Dortmund fans can still relax as Clough is no stranger to the tides of Transfer Market. He leaves no room for his competitors to act on the availability of the right player. The departure of Kagawa and Barrios followed by the arrival of Thiago Neves and Falcao more than a like for like replacement.

Having achieved so much in little time, the Gaffer was no short of words and commented:

“Rome was not built in a day, but I was not on that particular job.”

Injuries

Besides the long term injuries to team captain Sebastian Kehl, Ilkay Gundogan and Columbian striker Falcao has Borussia Dortmund managed to get through the season without any serious injuries. This is a big part of the rotation policy of Brian Clough and explanation for why they have been able to perform so well, week after week.

Having had a limited amount of money to spend after big spending sporting director Micheal Meier almost led the club into bankruptcy, Borussia’s squad has in recent years often lacked the depth that is necessary to win a Bundesliga title. But with the arrival of Brian Clough and the recent trophy winning run, the club president Reinhard Rauball has shown a desire to spend.

Before the season started most experts said that Borussia Dortmund would have a hard time replacing an injured Falcao. Fortunately for the yellow and black jerseys has the emergence of Sanogo and presence of Sturridge made this less of a problem.

Catch them, can you?

Borussia have undoubtedly ruled the Bundesliga this season, but things looked bleak when they were fighting week-in-week-out at the domestic as well as European front. The other teams behind them looked to catch them up.

One can never be certain about what will happen in football. Heck, this why so many people around the world adore the sport so much. Having said that: it will take a giant blow up from Dortmund’s side to down from this feat.

Very nice work to win the CL there

I'm just hoping to actually manage to get past the hurdle of 1st Knockout Round for the first time. Porto in 2011/12, Arsenal 2012/13, Barcelona 2013/14... Got Marseille this year who I'm confident I can handle despite only having two fit central midfielders in my CL squad. Sven out with a broken leg and Gundogan might be back for the quarter final if I make it.

I never fired any of my backroom staff. In the first season I did requested a few extra places where felt we were seriously lacking quality.

Other than that I just waited for the contracts to get expired. And Buvac is pretty decent Astt Manager with 4* in attack or tactics.

while searching for an able replacement for Friedrich, I stumbled upon following prospects:

1. Mapou Yanga Mbiwa

MapouYangaMbiwa.png

2. Manoel

Manoel.png

3. Bruno Ecul Manga

BrunoEculManga.png

all of them could be fighting for a first team and be some excellent buys for their value (~6m in 3rd season).

Manoel has the better attacking attributes and the age going for him, but from experience in my Lille save, Yanga Mbiwa's versatility really comes in handy. Also has an advantage over Ecul Manga of not having the risk of losing him to the CAN, although thats not so big for Germany with the long winter break.

well that's correct phoenix even I have set my sights on Mbiwa as am too tempted with his versatility, Manoel could be one of the best covering CB if trained properly and last Manga is the cheapest option with pretty low wage demands.

went for Mbiwa, but suddenly so many clubs got interested in him and I lost the battle surrendering against his wage demands which I think were too much for a player who is gonna play behind Stefan Bell and Miranda. Signed Ecul Manga for 12k/week.

I have got 20m for transfer budget and two positions (RB and DM) to strengthen. Nigel de jong and Romario are good enough for that. Although this season steal could be Tevez available for just above 4m. Can I do the business? lets see how much he sacrifices on wages.

@Manden:

As I said above I already got Bell for 2.2m at the end of 1st season. He is gonna step in if Subotic decides to leave the ship but even then I am gonna give him ample experience in the league. Santana and Manga are for DFB Pokal.

Nervy 2nd leg too after 0-0 at Stade Velodrome. But Marcel Schmelzer proved the hero, scoring his 1st ever goal for Dortmund with a charging run into the box to connect with a long ball from Ekici, who helped score the 2nd with a farcical own goal by Mandanda. Ekici shot at him, he blocked it but the ball rolled towards the line and as he grabbed at it Mandanda knocked it over the line :lol:

How are other peoples youth intake going btw. 4 seasons and the best I've gotten is 1 quality left back... Schalke keep getting ridiculous newgens and I snagged an impressive talent off Hannover for 10.5m last season - a very versatile DMC/MC/WBR/DR. Found some ridiculous newgens in Brazil for peanuts too

yeah even I had problem with youth intake just one quality striker in past two seasons. This time I have requested board to improve my youth network and guess what? also got FC Basel as feeder club. :D

BaselasAffiliatedClubs.png

Brazil and France continue to be the birth place of talented re-gens.

Tevezsigning.png

Got him for 4.1m, but had to inflate all my 20m transfer kitty to make room for his wages. Also got Nigel De jong on loan. His wage demands were too high and getting him on loan means I just have to pay for 30% of his wages. (wise move :p)

Now with Sturridge, Falcao, Tevez, Sanogo, Niang in my team I guess I have to change my tactic to accommodate two strikers. Also I think Falcao and Tevez cannot play together, as both of them are DLFs.

I am thinking of 4-1-3-2 or 4-4-2 Diamond (narrow). But the later would mean I need to reinforce on my fullback options.

What's your wage bill looking like now? Mine is at 1.36m a week and I'm looking to move Perisic and Mario Fernandes next season to cover the 50k extra Sime Vrsaljko will be getting. Perisic is making it so hard to cash him in with some great performances when it matters. He's just had some injury troubles over the past two seasons and with the decline in attributes, his wage demands just aren't going to work.

@stampler: pounce on Beck and Gylfi as Hoffe gets relegated.

Already got 3 DRs now (Pisczek, Friedrich and Koch)...

Beginning of August:

Got Christian Poulsen and Mohamed Abu on a free and some danish very promising youngster (U19 international, no newgen, AMC/ST), also got Schieber and Yaya Sanogo for the Attack, but maybe will check out if I can get Gylfi for a decent amount.

A lot of promising and talented youngsters (3.5-4 stars potential) came in for around 1 Mio. each. The aim is to win the U19 league this season and thrash the Schalke youngsters (one of their u19 players went to Bayern for 10 Mios! So they definately got some goooood youngsters there)

Got rid of the dead wood like Rangelov, Boyd, Hornschuh, Owomoyela, da Silva, Blaszykowski, Zidan and Kringe finally and let a lot of lazy youngsters go on a free.

Sold Kagawa for 10 Mio. to Spartak, he wanted to leave anyway and I couldnt convince him to stay. Funny thing was, Schalke was also interested and when that became public, the fans protested that they would never accept Kagawa as a Schalke man :) So he went to Spartak.

Still got around 8 Mio. to spend...sadly my primary transfer target Rasmus Elm was transferred to Milan for 10 Mio...

Another thing:

President Rauball keeps rejecting my wish to get a feeder club to send out players on loan.

Do you have any ideas how to convince him?

He somehow ridicules me every time I´m asking ("You can ask as much as you want, we wont grant it..", like this :( )

Archived