FM12: Borussia Dortmund - 'Wo Champions sind Geboren'

NorthernGooner

How have you got your striker/s set up?

I have found Poacher set as target man with run onto ball works well - Barrios did well with that. Benzema is a natural trequartista so I've let him do that. I have found my wing players also score a lot - lost count of the number of times Reus has cut inside and fired awaway a goal or been there to bounce on the rebound

Having to leave out spaces because of homegrown isn't so bad, I won the CL with a squad of 24 and only 2 fit midfielders for the 1st knockout round and quarter finals

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The so called 'Never'kussen hijacked my Kovacic bid. I was first to to bid when he turned unhappy at Dinamo and offered him a 24k/w, guess that was not enough as kussen landed him for 39k. This is the second txr battle that I lost this summer (first was Mbiwa).

Yeah with the new rule CL places are hard to manage. Had to splash cash on Reus last jan for the same reason. I guess the obvious reason every Dortmund manager in this game (and in real life) would go for him.

caution: He might come cheap if he gets injured.

@pheonix: I agree with the poacher tactic, Sturridge has been doing the same for me. I am having some dificulty with Reus though. Didn't managed to score/assist as many goals and thus always lose out to Dos santos for starting birth who has been excellent.

I have Barrios set on "Poacher" as well, but he´s not selected as target man. I will also try that in the winter break :)

Same about the wing players for me: Grosskreutz scores quite a lot and Bittencourt is beginning to score too now. Götze of course.

Thing about leaving out spaces is, that i would LOVE to give my youngsters some playing time in the CL but have to take them out of the squad to fill in more important players because there are so few places then. I dont trust my youngsters that much already ;) Experience still is the more important factor for me when it comes to crucial games of course, so lets just see how they progress, Bittencourt does well as i wrote already...

Reus...glad that they signed him IRL for next season :)

Well for the youngsters, you can always set up Dortmund II with regular friendlies. Basically simulate having a reserves league. I like to bring the good U19s into that team and use it to keep rotation and backup players under 23 fresh as well. Means they get the advantage of the good training facilities and at least some match experience

Setting up those friendlies is sooo damn tiring :( Maybe next year my reserve will be promoted to 3. Liga that would be a dream come true, but im pretty sure this won´t happen for the reputation is too low compared to the other teams in contention there...

atm in my reserve there are only 5 or 6 transfer listed players, who i just want to get rid of but no offers came in yet.

I let my youngsters (i dont have that many, just about 18 or 20 i think, only kept and brought in players of 3,5 or higher stars of potential) play in the U19 league up to now, didnt know about that the training facilities are different for the reserve team :eek:

Thanks for pointing this out!

I summoned Kehl after his contract talk went down. Here's the conversation:

SebastianKehlOverview_PrivateChat-2.png

surprisingly still there were no changes in his demands and he was not ready for a player/coach role. Talks broke again.

I recalled him. Here's the second conversation:

SebastianKehlOverview_PrivateChat-3.png

He agrees to go but no one wants him :(

Haha!! Kehl is a funny guy indeed :) a pity he wont sign though..

damn i envy you for getting a fine 2nd division feeder club! my board only has granted me one (Gamba Osaka) and there i cant loan players out to.. all other request were blocked by my board :(

my bad season goes on...had a winless run (lost to stuttgart 1-0 away, lost to hsv 2-1 away, and 4 draws one being a 0-0 with shots 17-1 for me against hannover!!)

Sitting 8th now with 5 points to the 2nd place (Schalke!!!!). Bayern cant be caught anymore already now.

We made it to the europa league as we became 3rd in the group (level on points with 4th valencia but the direct duels against them spoke for us).

At least we won the last game before the winter break , a DFB cup game against promoted st.pauli 3-0...

and Romario is set to arrive in a few days...lets pray.

yeah i already had 2 meetings and they all in all went very well, i managed to win the 1st game after that but then they started underperforming again. may be a fitness issue, for some players seem to get jaded more often this season, though i really rotate them and give them 1 or 2 days rest after games quite often :confused:

alas, lets wait for Romario, the saviour hopefully :)

Benzema. Checked again his contract is not expiring next summer on my save. Probably must have signed a new deal with Rich Madrid last season. :(

He is still unhappy though.. and guess what Ekdal has refused a new deal at Juventus just now, that means if keep luring him (timely) I could land him on free next season :D

It's good to finally get the season underway...

Supercup.png

The start of the season was good as the team lifted Super Cup Trophy with ease.

It was a frustrating evening at the BayArena against Leverkusen, the match ended 0-0 even though I dominated the possession by 40%:60%

firstmatch.png

Second Match: Returned back to Direct passing and more familiar playing style by putting in two wingers, thrashed HSV 3-0 at home.

HSVwin.png

But, sad to loose Bertolacci for 6 months. sad. A chance for Cigerci to shine now.

Bertolacciinj.png

toomanyfouls.png

Opposite number Huub Stevens was also frustrated with the physical approach to game and criticized the hard tackling in the media.

To which Dortmund Manager, Brian Clough replied:

"Football is not a contact-sport, its a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport."

Long term injuries are a real *****, I lost Stefan Bell to a broken leg when he was on loan at Hoffenheim a couple of seasons back, and he's only really recovering to where he was now after a good season on loan. Had the same happen to Sven Bender - only really been properly match fit for a couple of months since breaking his leg in January. Might see if he wants to go on loan to 1860 Munich to get some solid playing time

Sanogo just saved our asses by scoring in the 93rd minute against Mainz.

It is his first ever goal for us.

Bought a newgen gem from Villareal:

iovsczjs3faqy47bqni.jpg

We will play 2nd division Fürth in the DFB cup quarter finals... looks an easy tie but we´ll see. Sanogo will get his chance there to prove himself again.

Transfers_History_2013.png

Although Modric was unhappy at Spurs and wanted to move on. I didn't had enough funds to rescue him and Board declined the request.

Got an easy CL group by the way, advantage of winning the Champions League ;)

CLgroup2013-14.png

The start to the season has been good, won all the initial Trophies including European Super Cup as well (Defeated Fiorentina 3-0).

Bundesliga: Played 4 won 2 draw 2

Squad breaks for international friendlies.

I hate international friendlies. Falcao (3-4 weeks), Dos Santos (3-4 weeks), Guardado (5-6 weeks) all join Bertolacci on the sidelines. Man this is Falcao's second consecutive injury on international break.

I have a tight schedule of games coming in with a clash against league leaders Munich sandwiched between two CL clashes.

That's some nice work there, nothing like an injury storm to show the mettle of your squads depth, and nothing like getting one over the Bavarian monster

My worst had to be with Dortmund in FM11 - at one point I had one healthy striker who was suspended and no healthy fullbacks. My jury rigged 3-7-0 didn't do too badly in the end

exactly. i was in the lead most of the time, failing to extend the lead, then got a late equalizer. i think of course it was due to the team getting tired near the end and the fear of throwing in inexperienced players. i also was reluctant going to "contain" in situations like that. "counter" didnt work that good. gotta be more couragous in the new season :)

btw Kehls contract is running out and he will be leaving along with christian poulsen who had a real good season. i have balitsch coming in next season to cover that.

weidenfeller is starting to decline - will have to look for a new gk i think...

Is it too late to grab David Ospina on a free? Might want to see how Carlos Kameni is going, he's a pretty solid keeper with a few years left in him. Other than those two and ter Stegen, can't really think of any good youngish keepers. In my game, Chelsea let Matej Delac go on a free and he's not half bad a prospect.

Ochoa has been good in previous versions and a decent value for money buy. But since I play FM with high line I need my GK to be have good command of area (height+shot stopping) and some pretty great reflexes. Ochoa lacks in both.

This years Ochoa like buy is Luis Guilherme. However I would suggest Thibaut Courtois (Best GK on the game probably).

Borussia Dortmund 2015/16 - "The Invincibles" :D

Nt7MW.jpg

Benzema was just ridiculous, finished the season with 27 league goals in 31 games, and three players with double figures in assists. Only blips of the season were losing the UEFA Super Cup to Arsenal despite dominating the game, being thrown out of the CL at the quarters by Lyon missing key players, and a close loss of the DFP-Pokal to Leverkusen on penalties, Adler playing like a machine to keep us out.

Ztqn8.jpg

Antonio Silva has really come into his own and impressed in the games he has been given, as has Tolga Cigerci who got a call up to the Turkey preliminary squad for Euro 2016, which is a shame since Magath is retiring from Germany after the tournament and I hoped to get that job and call him up myself. Sven Bender has done brilliantly to come back from months of injury and has finally started to bounce back with some impressive work in training lately. Some exciting players coming in next season and a wish to reduce the wage bill means some faithful servants will be moved on and some marginal players given a chance elsewhere.

Strange thing this season had been my inability to keep clean sheets. Though goals are easy to come by, I am not able to shut down.

Will have to sit down with my defenders now...

DortmundMatchesOct2013.png

Injury News:

DosSantosGr8ful.png

Dos Santos, Guardado and Falcao are all back from their long spells out.

But Kvekveskiri (12 days), Sanogo, Grosskreutz (2 weeks each) and Thiago Neves (5-6 weeks) are out now.

Transfer News:

Finally sold Weidenfeller to Nunberg for 4.1m and got a regen GK on free.

and Also Khel have accepted the new Player/Coach contract and I am happy to keep him.

Oh ok Germany. The manager in the Germany Hall of Fame, who defeated Germany in WC qualifying and took them to the 2nd round, who just did a bloody invincible league season is a laughable prospect. But the frontrunner is Thomas Schaaf of Leverkusen...

Don't even get me started on the complete joke that was the Bundesliga team of the year...

Good to see the France NT has no determination or pride - went out weakly in ET to Belgium in the second round of Euro 2016. I knew I shouldn't have picked Nasri, he was always rubbish before and he let Fellaini score from the corner easily.

Lost the german supercup against bayern 0-2 with TWO own goals from Hummels - strangely he also became Man of the Match :applause:

Next: DFB-Cup first round against Aschaffenburg (should be easy)

Sanogo and a few other youngsters are out on loan at our feeder Cottbus in the 2nd division and Sanogo is already banging them in (1 goal per match).

Problem is, at the end of last season he requested a transfer because he didnt get much playing time. Hopefully he will come to his senses soon.

@phoenix: first i read "Antonio da Silva" :eek: and wondered how and why you kept him so long...

great achievement going unbeaten, a pity lyon kicked you out of the cl - and with the dfb-cup opponents gk form... we all know that already from the old championship manager times, dont we? ;) (AND: I love to repeat myself: I TOLD you that Benzema is gonna kick the bundesliga´s ass!!!)

And good luck with the national team :)

@fyrefuze: i HOPE theres enough depth, though I doubt it until we will see (I sold Weidenfeller and Pisczek also, which is not on the screenie). This team now has my trust and I wont be bringing another one in (at least thats what i tell the journalists at the press conferences...) Got a lot of youngsters, who still have to develop but some (like the new african DC -see screenie 1-) appear to already have most of it. I really look forward to seeing them develop.

P.S.:

I looking for a left defender, Schmelzer needs competition.

Well I had 2 players in the team of the year, Leverkusen had 5. I've given up on trying to understand how it picks them, Hummels had 4th highest average rating in the league and not a mention. I had 4 players with double figure assists and only Reus makes it in. Conceded the fewest goals overall and neither keeper gets in. :confused:

After cleaning house a bit...

GsLp8.jpg

This is the squad going forward for next season's title defence. Here's hoping our Champions League run is a bit more productive

qG2Vu.jpg

This young man looks to be the brightest acquisition, after a season tearing up the Austrian Bundesliga with my feeder FK Austria Wien, it's time for him to test himself on the real thing

F7fXh.jpg

Archived