R Madrid used a grey out GK for their CL final?

1st season CL final against R Madrid. They fielded a good team but between the stick, there's a chinese player. I didn't quite recognize the name, because I was expecting Casillas, so I look at their team squad, and I was thinking if that guy is a new signing or something. Of course, I noticed Casillas was injured but there are 2 other GK like Durek and Adan to play but they chose to use a grey out player instead.

I have Spain as view only league, but my opinion is that shouldn't they at least select their 2nd choice keeper to play instead of a new guy?

This "greyed out players" always happens in my games with team with injuries, even though I leave the box unticked where it says "add players to playable teams". ANNOYING

That isn't for adding greys, it's for lower league teams with small squads, the game generates players for them when you start a new game.

This "greyed out players" always happens in my games with team with injuries, even though I leave the box unticked where it says "add players to playable teams". ANNOYING

Adding to what John said. You are MORE likely to get greyed out players if you leave this box unticked, not less likely.

I had a somewhat similar problem which ruined the fun a bit for me.I don't want to post a whole thread for it so I'll just drop it in here.I played against Barcelona in the CL final,but I was amazed to see that Xavi was ineligible for the CL? What?! Did they really not register one of their best players for it? And they played with some poor midfielder instead. Now I like the patch of course,but this is a bit perplexing.

I had a somewhat similar problem which ruined the fun a bit for me.I don't want to post a whole thread for it so I'll just drop it in here.I played against Barcelona in the CL final,but I was amazed to see that Xavi was ineligible for the CL? What?! Did they really not register one of their best players for it? And they played with some poor midfielder instead. Now I like the patch of course,but this is a bit perplexing.

Perhaps he'd been injured for most of the campaign.

Perhaps he'd been injured for most of the campaign.

That's wishful thinking and giving the AI too much credit.

When I am submitting my squad, at first I click auto-select, it adds all my best players, including under 21's, and leaves out my weaker 30yo's from the 25 players list. Leaving me to deselect players that I have no need to select as they are automatically eligible, in order to select the rest of my squad. I only tend to have 15-20 over 21's in my side, so I have no problem having EVERYONE eligible. I wouldn't be surprised if Barcelona could have achieved this, and Xavi's place would have been eaten up by youth.

Did they registered the other GKs in the CL? That could be the problem.

The AI is very stupid when it comes to selecting the players to the CL or similar competitions. I wish it could be better, to put a better challenge to the player.

I've once hit the auto-select button when i was selecting the players to play in the world club championship and the stupid AI selected some juniors and left unselected some of my best players.

I think that in this case it's because i don't have wingers in my first team so the AI go to the junior team and select 2 for each side. But i doesn't need them as i play in a 4-1-3-2 with 1 DMC and 3 CM or a 4-3-1-2.

Regardless of the tactic we use, if there are 26 slots the AI always select something like this: 3 GK, 2 RB, 2 LB, 5 CD, 2 MR/AMR, 2 ML/AML, 5 CM and 5 AT. It normally ignores DMC's and AMC's.

Recently I've noticed that Portugal sometimes fields a grey GK despite the fact that there are many GK to be selected to the team (Eduardo, Patricio, Quim, Beto, Moreira, etc.).

Almost all of them are "crap" (we don´t have a good GK since Vitor Baia retired), but that's another story. So there's an issue here too.

Not sure in game, but in real life you must registered three keepers for Europe (or you did in the qualifiers).

As for the problem, I've always thought that the grey players are in line with the reputation of the club they appear at. Hence why the Madrid keeper looks good. Saying that shouldn't happen if there are three keepers at the club (even if one is injured). Saying that when it has been my club I have found some gems through grey players!

@evora69 Actually, the other GK are eligible. I know at least one other guy is eligible because R Madrid put Adan as their substitute GK. So, they must have registered him and he's not out injured or anything.

@scholes=legend: Yup, I won 3-1. :) :)

And here's another problem I found. When I go back and look at the match again, it sometimes generate a player from other country instead of the actual grey player who played. If I keep reloading the save even after the match, I get different GKs. Doesn't really matter much though because the match is already played but the game didn't save which grey GK who actually played. It just put a GK randomly.

Archived