Another "OMG, OFFERED A JOB, WHAT DO I DO?!" Thread :)

Yeah...I'm another one of those indecisive buggers :)

I'm not after you really telling me what to do...I'm 90% sure what I'll do, but I just want to know what some of you folks would do in my position, just so I can take your opinions on board.

Btw, I'm probably going to mention players...so, sorry if that breaks any hearts lol

Anyways...ON WITH THE POST!

Basically, I'm the Nottingham Forest manager, I got them promoted in the first season via the play-offs (threw away a 10 point lead at the top and ended up finishing third...bummer), rejected a few job offers from teams us in the table and in danger of getting relegated in foreign leagues and trudged on into the Premier League.

Signed David James and Jaime Bullard when I got promoted, plus tightened up my defence (they still leak goals like mad, but it would have been a nightmare before!!) and we're safe from relegation with 2 games to go, probably going to finish around 14th. Pretty good.

Now, here's my dilemna. Newcastle got taken over, they fired Hughton despite him getting them into around 9th/10th position and they want me to manage their team. I checked their finances and they're just listed as secure, so they're not mega rich I'm guessing (plus the loan debt still seems to be there). Needless to say, they offered me £16.5m to spend for joining and this is before the Summer transfer window when I'd imagine they'd give me more money to spend.

That's pretty appealing when I look at my Nottingham Forest team who are in dire need of some new forwards, a new right back and two midfielders minimum. However, the board have never been close to sacking me and though the next few seasons may be a struggle, there is a possibility of me building this club up.

The main purpose of this save though was to have a career. Go from England to Italy to Spain...Newcastle seems like a step up, but I don't know.

Please, no replies saying "save the game and have two saves" because I don't have the time for two saves...so, what would you guys do in my position?

Personally I would take it. Newcastle are a club with hug potential (massive stadium, good facilities etc) and so wil be easier to turn into a top club than Forest. That said, I have no personal loyalties to Forest. If I'd managed them for a few seasons and got them into the promised land, it might be a harder decision. But aside personal feelings, in the cold hard football world I'd take the job every day.

Personally I would take it. Newcastle are a club with hug potential (massive stadium, good facilities etc) and so wil be easier to turn into a top club than Forest. That said, I have no personal loyalties to Forest. If I'd managed them for a few seasons and got them into the promised land, it might be a harder decision. But aside personal feelings, in the cold hard football world I'd take the job every day.

Hug potential? That made me laugh, all they need is a cuddle.

Save the game, then take the job offer, save under a different name then if the new job goes badly just load up your old job.:thup:

Edit...sorry, skimmed your op and just read your last sentence properly, take the job if it's a step up is what I'd do.

No worries man...thanks everyone.

Before I was 90% sure I was going to stay with Nottingham Forest...but given everyones opinions, now I'm fully torn lol. I think the main problem is it takes a season before the team feels like mine...so I'll have to struggle through a year before I feel attached again.

But if it means I have a better team, then so be it...Newcastle are around 15 points better off than me atm...so they're a stronger team...I'll just have to bite the bullet :)

If you're able to, I'd delay the offer until the end of the season. Finish what you've started this season with Forest, if you keep them up or they go down, then fair enough; but if you've got the Newcastle job delayed when they come back at the end of the season you can just make your decision then.

Newcastle gets easy very quickly, you end up with so much money at your disposal that you can buy your way to success, I know because I am playing as them and won the premiership title in 2013 (runner up in 2012).

I have now won 4 consecutive titles and to make the game a challenge have been slowly building an all English team, as this was the only way to keep the game fresh. Dec 2016 and I only have 3 none English first team players.

But I digress, my advice would be to stick with Forest and make them a success, if you want to play a big club, I am sure Man United will be available in a season or two.

If you want a good career, then move. That's what a manager would do irl.

But if you like Forest and if you enjoy the challenge, then stay. Any success you'll have there (and you'll have it, just a bit later maybe) will be more rewarding.

Very interesting. Reflects real life in certain ways.

You could be Alan Curbishley, staying on to lead the club to mediocrity (and then leaving the club to die :p).

Or you could be Owen Coyle, jumping ship at the first attempt.

Personally, the offer seems irresistable, but I would echo what someone said earlier. Delay till the end of the season. Finish what you have, then start anew next season with the new team.

Yeah...I'm another one of those indecisive buggers :)

I'm not after you really telling me what to do...I'm 90% sure what I'll do, but I just want to know what some of you folks would do in my position, just so I can take your opinions on board.

Btw, I'm probably going to mention players...so, sorry if that breaks any hearts lol

Anyways...ON WITH THE POST!

Basically, I'm the Nottingham Forest manager, I got them promoted in the first season via the play-offs (threw away a 10 point lead at the top and ended up finishing third...bummer), rejected a few job offers from teams us in the table and in danger of getting relegated in foreign leagues and trudged on into the Premier League.

Signed David James and Jaime Bullard when I got promoted, plus tightened up my defence (they still leak goals like mad, but it would have been a nightmare before!!) and we're safe from relegation with 2 games to go, probably going to finish around 14th. Pretty good.

Now, here's my dilemna. Newcastle got taken over, they fired Hughton despite him getting them into around 9th/10th position and they want me to manage their team. I checked their finances and they're just listed as secure, so they're not mega rich I'm guessing (plus the loan debt still seems to be there). Needless to say, they offered me £16.5m to spend for joining and this is before the Summer transfer window when I'd imagine they'd give me more money to spend.

That's pretty appealing when I look at my Nottingham Forest team who are in dire need of some new forwards, a new right back and two midfielders minimum. However, the board have never been close to sacking me and though the next few seasons may be a struggle, there is a possibility of me building this club up.

The main purpose of this save though was to have a career. Go from England to Italy to Spain...Newcastle seems like a step up, but I don't know.

Please, no replies saying "save the game and have two saves" because I don't have the time for two saves...so, what would you guys do in my position?

coming from a notts county supporter i'd say stay mate i really think you should try building forest up you have a good stadium, fanbase, facilities, academy, and also a lot more history than the skunks so to me it's a nobrainer

mate , only read the first few words of your post and that was enough to make me decide my views , if your the forest manager then you should leave the red scum straight away nomatter who offers you a job :) hope this helps :)

bit harsh lad take it your a ram then?

I'd stick with Forest. But then I only leave a club when I feel I have achieved everything I can. I had the same on my Leeds save with the mighty Arsenal offering me a job and £40-50 to spend. I turned it down as I wanted to single handidly take Leeds back to the top.

I'd stick with Forest. But then I only leave a club when I feel I have achieved everything I can. I had the same on my Leeds save with the mighty Arsenal offering me a job and £40-50 to spend. I turned it down as I wanted to single handidly take Leeds back to the top.

I'd have turned it down too. You can't get much for fifty quid these days! *chuckle*

I made this mistake. Having worked hard for 3 seasons to get Fulham in the Premier League, I jumped to Newcastle, and am now rock bottom, and heading straight back to where I came from, and Fulham want £35M for the man who almost single handedly turned them from a L1 side to a Europa League side.

I would say that if you don't immediately say yes to the offer when you think about it, then you shouldn't take it. Although I don't play too many games, I have had games before where I have taken on a new job and haven't gotten into it, ruining the game for me. So I wouldn't switch unless you are 100% confident about it.

I ended up going to Newcastle...to be honest, it would have probably been more rewarding to stay with Nottingham Forest, simply from the aspect of building them up and having less money etc...but because I started the game with the intent to move countries and everything, I thought I may as well take the best "career" opportunity.

When I've had enough of this game (hopefully in 2030-something or so) then I'll try to manage someone from the conference to the Premiership and stay loyal.

But thanks for the opinions...I appreciate it!

Archived