Mr Hough 10.3 Tactics

Which Tactic Do You Think Is The Best Version.  

1,063 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tactic Do You Think Is The Best Version.

lol where did you get that many people favour a 4222 more than a 4231?

I guess the majority here would prefer a 4231 as this is one of the most popular and modern systems used in RL and people often tend to create these kind of systems in fm aswell.

and one thing to the 4222

mr hough, pls dont take it personally, Iam not criticizing you, but Im 999% sure, that you wont get more success considering the defence.

its just too offensive the system, remember youre playing with 2 central midfielders and 2 ATTACKING wingers and not a flat 4 midfield.

even with a flat more defensive 442 nobody has managed to create a super duper plug and play tactic, since you only have 2 men in the central midfielder position, which is very dangerous. you cant tell for example your 2 cms, that they act more like DCMs when the opposition has possession and than turn into CMs when your team has possession.

even in rl, the only team playing a kind of a 4222 at the highest level of football was bayern münich.

but just consider, that even they didnt have wingers, who like to work in defence (robben and ribery) they had 2 strikers with olic and müller who were natural fighters, closing the down the whole opposition are the whole time and trying to put pressure as early as possible. this has immensely facilitated the work of schweinsteiger and van bommel.

but how can you get this workin in fm? telling your 2 strikers to act like more an attacking midfielder, putting pressure on the d-line and the defensive midfielders of the opposition to interrupt their build up.

there arent that many strikers in the game, who has such a high workrate and I could observe, that even when you tell your striker to close down the whole pitch, it still depends on his personal attributes. if you have a striker with less working rate or determination, which isnt seldom for strikers, you wont get this work.

so my personal view is: if you still keep your work on the 4222, I guess it will end like your new 41212, that people playing with lower league teams or with teams like hull city, wolves and so on will have complaints about their teams' defensive performances. and not every team has a lennon, pavluchenko, modric or defoe to balance the defensive weakness.

It would be really nice, if you could keep your work on the much more realistic and modern 4231 sytem. I am also trying to create one.

have won my first 5 games in serie a with palermo so far but still not playing as I imagine.

personally as a big football fan and watch man utd quite a lot,4-1-2-2-1 with wingers would be the one to make and master,in todays game ,especially with the bigger teams it is the best system to use

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mr hough you are a legend i like yours and jp woodys 4 3 3 tactic, it has just done wonders for me:thup:

i was wondering if you have ever thought of doing a tactic based upon benfica's style of play i think they are a fantastic team but i have struggled to re create there style on fm

I've never seen them play mate so i wouldn't know mate.

Just a little update on the winger tactic.

After playing around with different formations i have gone for the 4-1-3-1 which is a flat back four, Two DM's 1 AMC, 2 Wingers 1 Striker. I think this gives the best balance for the team and i like the way the team plays in this formation. It is more solid in defence due to the extra man in midfield and it don't take that much away from the attack.

I don't have a release date yet it could be sometime next week or possibly the week after.

Thanks for your continued patience and hopefully I'll have a winger tactic out very soon.

After playing around with different formations i have gone for the 4-1-3-1 which is a flat back four, Two DM's 1 AMC, 2 Wingers 1 Striker. I think this gives the best balance for the team and i like the way the team plays in this formation. It is more solid in defence due to the extra man in midfield and it don't take that much away from the attack.

I don't have a release date yet it could be sometime next week or possibly the week after.

Thanks for your continued patience and hopefully I'll have a winger tactic out very soon.

hi mr hough.

ive played 13 games so far have won 10 games and lost 3 with palermo in my first season.

am also playing a deep 4231 system, even I just conceded 7 goals, I cant score much. have just scored 17 goals and I feel like my wingers cant play the way I imagine.

how did you set them up?

my team width is 4 notches so very narrow, so that the wingers are close to my striker, Ive tried everything, giving them a low mentality with rfd often or high mentality with rfd sometimes or cut inside but still I cant create many chances.

would be nice if you could help me

hi mr hough.

ive played 13 games so far have won 10 games and lost 3 with palermo in my first season.

am also playing a deep 4231 system, even I just conceded 7 goals, I cant score much. have just scored 17 goals and I feel like my wingers cant play the way I imagine.

how did you set them up?

my team width is 4 notches so very narrow, so that the wingers are close to my striker, Ive tried everything, giving them a low mentality with rfd often or high mentality with rfd sometimes or cut inside but still I cant create many chances.

would be nice if you could help me

Make sure focus passing on the team settings is set to play down both wings, In the individual settings set there mentality 3-4 notches below the highest setting. CF the last notch of normal. the shortest passing setting. run from deep somtimes. run with ball often. long shots rarely. run with ball often. cross ball sometimes. Wide play normal.

Sometimes my wingers aren't massivly involved but what will happen alot esspecilly in my tactics is that the wingers will make runs inside the fullback and defender and latch onto a through ball from either the Dm or AMC which is good and nice too see.

Make sure focus passing on the team settings is set to play down both wings, In the individual settings set there mentality 3-4 notches below the highest setting. CF the last notch of normal. the shortest passing setting. run from deep somtimes. run with ball often. long shots rarely. run with ball often. cross ball sometimes. Wide play normal.

Sometimes my wingers aren't massivly involved but what will happen alot esspecilly in my tactics is that the wingers will make runs inside the fullback and defender and latch onto a through ball from either the Dm or AMC which is good and nice too see.

first of all thx for the quick answer.

well my settings are nearly the same like yours.

I also have passing focused on both wings, my two wingers have wide play normal, mentality (17), passing (5) rfd (sometimes), rwb (often) and cf (9)

do you think the low cf would have an effect on their runs into the box and so on? I wanted to play very disciplined so was trying not to use so much creative freedom and my amc is the one with the highest mentality of (10) notches.

do you have ttb often for your dmcs? the only player on the pitch, with ttb often is my amc.

well am going to still make some experiments until youve uploaded your tactic, so that I can learn something from yours^^

have a nice day and again thx for the response

Yes, low CF will affect your wingers ability to be more dangerous in attack. It will basically limit their offensive capability, especially if they have good mental stats like flair, creativity, decisions. The same goes for strikers or the AMC. The players closer to the opponents goal should be naturally given more CF in order for them to be able to open up defenses or to find/create space.

Hope you will get the maximum of it mate,keep up the good work :)

Yes, low CF will affect your wingers ability to be more dangerous in attack. It will basically limit their offensive capability, especially if they have good mental stats like flair, creativity, decisions. The same goes for strikers or the AMC. The players closer to the opponents goal should be naturally given more CF in order for them to be able to open up defenses or to find/create space.

wow didnt know it, though with the right individual instructions it could work.

am gonna try to increase the cf of my front 4.

thx for the info ace

wow didnt know it, though with the right individual instructions it could work.

am gonna try to increase the cf of my front 4.

thx for the info ace

Well, I mean think of it in this way. You are trying to increase effectiveness of your attackers, yet you shackle them by not letting them try different things. You are effectively discouraging them from using their offensive skills to their full potential.

However, there's also a question of overall balance. You don't want to have too many players on too high creativity. If you do, then you'll most likely suffer in other areas of your tactics, like defense for example.

It could also effect players long shots, I think giving a player too much creative freedom can be troublsome, My striker is on very middle setting for CF for example i don't want him to do things like dribble past 3-4 players i just want him to score goals and possibly set up a few, My wingers have higher CF because i want them to be more creative when there on the ball and make them dangerous runs into the box when they don't have the ball. My AMC has Higher CF than my striker and my winger but inly one notch more than my winger, I think alot of people make the mistake of thinking, Ok this AMC is the creative pulse in my team and i'm gonna give him high settings in menatlity CF run with balll etc..........

I think this is a mistake, If you give a player that much instruction and so much CF he is more than likely to do his own thing rather than listen to your team instructions, I have my AMC's settings set as, Run From Deep Run With Ball Through Balls all set to sometimes. This i think gives the best performace from my AMC as he will listen to what i want him to do rather than be so 'Gung-Ho' is you like.

It could also effect players long shots, I think giving a player too much creative freedom can be troublsome, My striker is on very middle setting for CF for example i don't want him to do things like dribble past 3-4 players i just want him to score goals and possibly set up a few, My wingers have higher CF because i want them to be more creative when there on the ball and make them dangerous runs into the box when they don't have the ball. My AMC has Higher CF than my striker and my winger but inly one notch more than my winger, I think alot of people make the mistake of thinking, Ok this AMC is the creative pulse in my team and i'm gonna give him high settings in menatlity CF run with balll etc..........

I think this is a mistake, If you give a player that much instruction and so much CF he is more than likely to do his own thing rather than listen to your team instructions, I have my AMC's settings set as, Run From Deep Run With Ball Through Balls all set to sometimes. This i think gives the best performace from my AMC as he will listen to what i want him to do rather than be so 'Gung-Ho' is you like.

Yeah it could affect such things as long shots, but I was mainly referring to situations when people set the CF for their attackers to very little or none.

Yeah it could affect such things as long shots, but I was mainly referring to situations when people set the CF for their attackers to very little or none.

Oh right i see, I agree with that then you need your attack to have abit of CF that way if he is tightly marked he is more likely to take the player on rather than look for a pass and that could slow down play.

Do you think it's best to play strikers with different settings or keep the strikers settings the same?

Oh right i see, I agree with that then you need your attack to have abit of CF that way if he is tightly marked he is more likely to take the player on rather than look for a pass and that could slow down play.

Do you think it's best to play strikers with different settings or keep the strikers settings the same?

Hmm, what do you mean by "same settings"? Which settings are you referring to?

Hmm, what do you mean by "same settings"? Which settings are you referring to?

Like when i make my tactics i almost always have the 2 strikers on the exact same settings for all individual player instructions, I was wondering if you preferred this or do you have the 2 strikers on different individual settings

the problem is with making plug and play tactics you have to accept that it's a video game and not an actual simulator (as we discussed on MSN)

realistically you'd NEVER have 2 strikers playing the EXACT same way at top flight, but for a tactic to be globally effective you have to exploit the match engine (hence the players side by side with the exact same settings/etc, to take advantage of a minor flaw in the engine to make it so effective) somehow so everyone can get the full use of the tactic

Like when i make my tactics i almost always have the 2 strikers on the exact same settings for all individual player instructions, I was wondering if you preferred this or do you have the 2 strikers on different individual settings

Well, in the Unbeaten Final version, the middle striker has different settings than the other two. However, I did keep all three strikers on your original settings for the most part. The only minor changes I've made were to increase their passing by several notches and also increase the side strikers' creative freedom by one notch. That's it.

the problem is with making plug and play tactics you have to accept that it's a video game and not an actual simulator (as we discussed on MSN)

realistically you'd NEVER have 2 strikers playing the EXACT same way at top flight, but for a tactic to be globally effective you have to exploit the match engine (hence the players side by side with the exact same settings/etc, to take advantage of a minor flaw in the engine to make it so effective) somehow so everyone can get the full use of the tactic

yes i agree, I thik that if a player performs great with certain settings the if i have a similar player then he will perform great with the same settings, Obviusly this would not happen in real life football but as you say this is a game and not real life so it does work out.

Well, in the Unbeaten Final version, the middle striker has different settings than the other two. However, I did keep all three strikers on your original settings for the most part. The only minor changes I've made were to increase their passing by several notches and also increase the side strikers' creative freedom by one notch. That's it.

i think if you know what your players strenghs and weakness are you can make changes that will be effective for your team, I just make tactics that work for the team i'm playing and hopefully it'll work for other teams too lol.

Here is updated links for what are considered the best tactics available made by me.

Classic Quadruple winning tactic with Everton 1st Season. I also won League 1 with Huddersfield while on Holiday the whole season.

http://www.filefront.com/17183477/10.3 Classic (Everton, May 2010).tac

Unbeaten Classic Tactic Tested with Hull Placed 1st after 10 games, Arsenal Unbeaten in first 10 games and Blythe Unbeaten in first 14 Games.

http://www.filefront.com/17183483/Mr Hough 4-1-2-3 Unbeaten Final Version. (Arsenal, Oct 2009).tac

Unbeaten tactic In Wizard mode made by Me and JP Woody.

http://www.filefront.com/17183486/Mr Hough and JP Woody Final Version 10.3 (Everton, Nov 2009).tac

These tactics are all 4-1-2-3 tactics and should with the right players team talks etc..... Bring glorious success to your team.

Not for a while yet gav, I did plan too but i'm still having problems with the defence so i've it on hold for a while.

ok mate no problem,what teams have you tried it with?just spurs or anyone else,defense could work different do you think with different defenders?

ok mate no problem,what teams have you tried it with?just spurs or anyone else,defense could work different do you think with different defenders?

Just spurs at the minute, I have sorted some problems in defence i think when i do concede it's more lapses in concentration or mistakes rather than tactical issues.

mr hough i have a question...where should i put the filters in the first post thread and where i can see them in the game? thx =)

if you put them in the Filters folder which can be found where you put the tactics you download. To get them in game go to player seach, Then Filters, Then manage filters, click on Import and they should be there.

mr hough, do you think giving the amc a lower mentality + rfd often + team tempo very slow would cause, that the amc is connected to the two dmc in my own half and then can make runs into the box when were in the opposition third?

or do you think giving him middle-high mentality and rfd sometimes would be a better choice?

mr hough, do you think giving the amc a lower mentality + rfd often + team tempo very slow would cause, that the amc is connected to the two dmc in my own half and then can make runs into the box when were in the opposition third?

or do you think giving him middle-high mentality and rfd sometimes would be a better choice?

I have the team tempo just below middle, the thing you have to remember is that you have to take in the entire teams settings to when setting up players because if you have your AMC on like i have said before 'Gung Ho' settings then he is more than likely to get isolated from the rest of the team and be feeding of scraps and that will make the attack under perform.

I think about how i want my AMC to play not just in the game but as i would like him to play in real life situations too. This helps me get the best settings as i try and visualize how my team will play and try and think ahead for the advantages and disadvantages of the settings i choose.

Just touching on what you said there about the lower mentality you have to think like this. 'If i lower his mentality he will play deeper anyway but if i give him run from deep often then he might be even deeper and this might isolate the attack if he has to play direct balls to the attack'. You have to think about all the possibilities not just select some settings and hope for the best. That's why i take so long making my tactics and that's probably why i have had so much success because i try and think of all the possible outcomes that might happen.

I would try setting him up with mostly middle settings apart from mentality which would be in the middle with high CF see how that works for you.

I have the team tempo just below middle, the thing you have to remember is that you have to take in the entire teams settings to when setting up players because if you have your AMC on like i have said before 'Gung Ho' settings then he is more than likely to get isolated from the rest of the team and be feeding of scraps and that will make the attack under perform.

I think about how i want my AMC to play not just in the game but as i would like him to play in real life situations too. This helps me get the best settings as i try and visualize how my team will play and try and think ahead for the advantages and disadvantages of the settings i choose.

Just touching on what you said there about the lower mentality you have to think like this. 'If i lower his mentality he will play deeper anyway but if i give him run from deep often then he might be even deeper and this might isolate the attack if he has to play direct balls to the attack'. You have to think about all the possibilities not just select some settings and hope for the best. That's why i take so long making my tactics and that's probably why i have had so much success because i try and think of all the possible outcomes that might happen.

I would try setting him up with mostly middle settings apart from mentality which would be in the middle with high CF see how that works for you.

so by middle you mean 10 notches? and doesnt rfd for the amc mean, that he is likely to make more runs into the box? or is it regulated like for the striker, that giving him rfd often will mean, that he will drop deep often?

its really very nice, that you help so much.

so by middle you mean 10 notches? and doesnt rfd for the amc mean, that he is likely to make more runs into the box? or is it regulated like for the striker, that giving him rfd often will mean, that he will drop deep often?

its really very nice, that you help so much.

I always thought Run From Deep means that the player will Run From Deep so he will drop deep and run from there lol, I may be wrong though but i think thats what it means.

I don't mind helping people out at all your very welcome.

I always thought Run From Deep means that the player will Run From Deep so he will drop deep and run from there lol, I may be wrong though but i think thats what it means.

I don't mind helping people out at all your very welcome.

lol didnt know that, thought it was more like forward runs^^

well do you think giving him a mentality of like 12-13 notches with rfd sometimes would be good?

lol didnt know that, thought it was more like forward runs^^

well do you think giving him a mentality of like 12-13 notches with rfd sometimes would be good?

Yes try that, Your best off just playing around with the settings also have a look at your DM's passing because you want the supply to be right i have my DM's passing dead set in the middle

Yes try that, Your best off just playing around with the settings also have a look at your DM's passing because you want the supply to be right i have my DM's passing dead set in the middle

am gonna try that, my dms setting was is always in the middle.

just one last question lol.

which type of marking do you prefer for your DMCs?

when I put them on tight man marking, they aren really sitting close to each other and there is a huge gap between the d-line as theyre automatically marking the oppositions CMs.

and is the rfd option for wingers the same? for example IF I want them to play very high up the pitch and dont want them to drop deep, should I give them a very high mentality with no rfd?

would this also have an effect on their runs into the box?

am gonna try that, my dms setting was is always in the middle.

just one last question lol.

which type of marking do you prefer for your DMCs?

when I put them on tight man marking, they aren really sitting close to each other and there is a huge gap between the d-line as theyre automatically marking the oppositions CMs.

and is the rfd option for wingers the same? for example IF I want them to play very high up the pitch and dont want them to drop deep, should I give them a very high mentality with no rfd?

would this also have an effect on their runs into the box?

My entire back 6 (4 defenders 2 Dm's) are all on man marking with tight marking ticked, i did try zonal on a few players but i think man marking gives me best results.

I'm not sure about the wingers without looking at it myself, It seems like you know what your doing the best advice i could give is try the settings and see how it works out, Thats the only way you'll know for sure.

thx for the help mr hough.

am now playing my last game of the first season half against inter.

theyre 4 points above me and I need at least a draw to still stay in title challenge

hope with your help, I can do that^^

I hope it helps you out, Good luck

I hope it helps you out, Good luck

first half 0-0

am playing awful, because I cant just get out of my own half.

defensively its suberp only 3 long shots from inter and 49% possession for me.

my problem is, that my wingers are coming far to deep when inter is attacking me, this causes, that I cant hold the ball too long, when Ive won it back, as my striker is the only one upfront.

have tried to decrease the closing down settings of my two wingers from 17 to 13 but they still act like fullbacks lol^^

do you think I should increase the d-line from 12 to 14 or 15?

yessss.

scnd half was my half^^

have won the game 1-0 after making some changes.

have decreased the rfd option of my striker from sometimes to seldom, as I could see, that he stays to close to my amc when he was dropping deep and my amc has now much more place.

have also decreased team width from 8 notches (normal) to 4 (narrow) which caused, that my wingers were much more involved into the game and I could hold possession much better. I also decreased the closing down of my amc from 16 to 13 so that the front four have closing down 13 and the two dmcs 14.

am gonna try to either decrease the mentality of amc from 12 to 11 or 10 notches or team tempo from 9 to 8 or 7 as I had the impression, that my amc was still running a little bit too early into the box, so that my two DMCs had not much passing options.

but anyway thx for your help mr.hough, am again 1 point behind inter in my first season.

mr. hough

well 2 new observations I made were that since were playing down both flanks, my wingers often prefer to play back to the fullback on his side or even to the winger on the other side, even the two DMCs or AMC are unmarked in the centre.

well do you think, setting one of the 3 central players as the playmaker would help to solve this problem? so that they also consider the central players.

and the scnd question is, well I had the impression, that when I played with a bit wider team width like 9-12 notches, my striker is often isolated and often tries hollywood balls to the wings, even when I set him to play short passes.

in games it was also statistically proven, that when I played with a narrow team width like 4-6 notches, I had a lot more possession.

what would you prefer? I know that its much more difficult to create spaces when were playing narrow. do you think playing a bid wider like I wrote above (10-12+) and giving the striker lower mentality (I have him on 17 exactly like the wingers) would have the affect, that he is more connected to the midfield and doesnt need to play hollywood balls in order to have support?

iny your uploaded ppm, I had the impression, that you were playing narrow aswell.

is it right, or did I missinterpreted something wrong?

I know Iam a bit spamming you with questions over questions, but 4231 is my most favourite system since I am a huge fan of mourinho and benitez.

mr. hough

well 2 new observations I made were that since were playing down both flanks, my wingers often prefer to play back to the fullback on his side or even to the winger on the other side, even the two DMCs or AMC are unmarked in the centre.

well do you think, setting one of the 3 central players as the playmaker would help to solve this problem? so that they also consider the central players.

and the scnd question is, well I had the impression, that when I played with a bit wider team width like 9-12 notches, my striker is often isolated and often tries hollywood balls to the wings, even when I set him to play short passes.

in games it was also statistically proven, that when I played with a narrow team width like 4-6 notches, I had a lot more possession.

what would you prefer? I know that its much more difficult to create spaces when were playing narrow. do you think playing a bid wider like I wrote above (10-12+) and giving the striker lower mentality (I have him on 17 exactly like the wingers) would have the affect, that he is more connected to the midfield and doesnt need to play hollywood balls in order to have support?

iny your uploaded ppm, I had the impression, that you were playing narrow aswell.

is it right, or did I missinterpreted something wrong?

I know Iam a bit spamming you with questions over questions, but 4231 is my most favourite system since I am a huge fan of mourinho and benitez.

I thinj playing narrow will defo help you have more possession and overall that will be a massivfe bonus to your team because if you have the ball the opposition can't score.

i play on setting 8 of width so it is pretty narrow, I am gonna send you my tactic to have a play with tomorrow i wanna help you out and i think if you have a look at my settings it might help you with your own tactic. I would send it now but just got in from work and i'm fooked!