dafuge's FM10 challenge

I just signed the best players I could and formed a decent tactic.

That's what I'm trying, I just appear to constantly end up with total chumps :D

Only got 1 win so far with Canvey, in the FA Trophy, but we have drawn our last 4 league games (the last two with stunning come backs) so things are maybe looking up a bit. Thought I'd pulled off a major coup by loaning a kid who was transfer listed and desperately unhappy in Chelsea's U-18s (asked my ass man for loan recommendations and I was staggeringly surprised to see him suggest someone from a Premier League club, and then even more so when the kid agreed) but he's played 7 games so far and no even come close to a goal :( And he moans when I sub him, looks like he's a total diva.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And sign the best players you have on full time contracts. i remember back in the lower league days that almost my complete squad was swapped from bsn to BSP to L2 and so on, but a few good i kept around.

Sign pace and play pace in your tactics. Its one of the best weapons you can have in the lower leagues if your player have 13+ pace/acc. and often i tend to look at the mental/physical attributes more than the tecnical.

I have to ask, how the hell are people getting out of the BSN/BSS, let alone completing the bloody challenge? This is one of the most rock solidly difficult things I've tried in years. Probably since my many seasons of futility at Leigh RMI in CM01/02.

Before I completed the challenge with Merthyr, I'd had 3 goes, one on FM07, one on 09, and then one on 10. Never got beyond the BSP with AFC Wimbledon in 07, BSP again with FC United in 09, sacked for being in the relegation zone of the BSP with Nuneaton in my first go on 10.

Either I'm better at FM now, or Merthyr were just a good team for me, either way you'll get there in the end I'm sure :)

I have to ask, how the hell are people getting out of the BSN/BSS, let alone completing the bloody challenge? This is one of the most rock solidly difficult things I've tried in years. Probably since my many seasons of futility at Leigh RMI in CM01/02.

Its simply a matter of signing free players. That way you don't spend money on transfer. Go for strikers with high pace, acceleration. Finishing, believe it or not, isn't that important.

Send scouts on players, get players on trial will get you a feel on what kind of players you can attract and what kind of players the club needs.

I am also finding this version much tougher than previous years. It has taken me two seasons of scapping in the bottom of the BSS to put together a squad capable of promotion however my finances are a mess and if I go up the players are nowhere near good enough :(

Cheers for the advice, everyone. I am a sucker for technical attributes, so I'll keep it in mind to look for pace and acceleration first and foremost. Looking forward to another day of struggle with Canvey; if we manage to stay up it'll be a miracle :D

Shaggy's return

After getting to the championship with Whitby in 07, and the Premiership with Heybridge Swifts in 08, the lure of FM, returned for shaggy in 2010. Signing up just before christmas he must have known that the white stuff was around the corner (if not the four days at xmas spent with the inlaws).

Not being a FM legend but an experienced player over the last 17 years or so, jumped a little bit headlong into Dafuges challenge for this season, without Demoing nor the experience of 2009 neither. Personally the jump of two years was quite a large one, and am glad to see that SI have toughened up the lower leagues nicely.

Still the search for the next Super Kyle, Zavon Hines, or the never to be forgotton Jack Neville(Heybridge's L2 wonderkid who went onto grace Liverpool, Chelsea, Southampton and England)

Season 2010/11

A slowly slowly approach offered a sure fire change from the sign everyone you can go massively over budget, but guarantee play offs as a result, plus a lack of knowledge of who's good at this level was sure to play havoc on the challenge.

The only players coming in and out

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/shaggy61/Horsham.png

After an amazing win win start, we struggled and christmas we were deep in relegation mire, exits at the first stage of both cups bought nothing but misery to the fans who dared actually watch the team.

A new year change in tactics, showed a narrow and direct 4-3-3 taking over from a traditional 4-4-2 which had proved ineffective, now Nathan Crabbb(the Tank) at 6 foot 9 and 16 stone was sure to prove a handful at this level. Also arriving were two new full backs Ashley Deeney from Luton on loan and an old favourite Sacha Opinel whose class would be needed at this level.

Sure enough we improved-just enough to avoid relegation, but keeping the club under budget and on track seemed to impress the board as they gave me another 2years in the job for my efforts.

Final Table

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/shaggy61/BlueSquareSouth.png

Season 2 to follow swiftly....

Season 2 Horsham in the BSS

Following on from last seasons softly softly approach only a couple of new faces joined in the summer Deeney remained on loan this time for the whole season, targetman Rob Duffy joined up front, whilst Gregor Patek joined on loan a little sneakily from Charlton for the season. Some dead wood was also shipped out, leaving the budget on target but the squad small in depth.

A much improved season saw an early season play off charge and FA cup campaign to be proud of. A run to the 3rd round proper gave a plum away tie againt Premiership Aston Villa, on new years eve, and the security gained from the profits of this run will no doubt leave the club in secure footing.

However the new year didnt go well, perhaps not strengthening was a mistake and the lack of strength in depth showed as key injuries to centre half Stewart resulted in a disappointing finish of 11th.

Still onwards and upwards, starting to getting into the game a little more now, ideally positioned to strengthen both on and off the pitch now. The end of season clear out has started, some kids will follow out the door too, so come June the trials shall begin in earnest, with promotion a priority.

Table

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/shaggy61/BlueSquareSouth-4.png

Ins and outs

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/shaggy61/Horsham-5.png

Loadsamoney

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/shaggy61/Horsham-4.png

Really i won this....(beauty of the cup)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/shaggy61/BlueSquareSouth-2.png

The legend is back.......(you know you want to look at it!)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/shaggy61/BlueSquareSouth-3.png

lol, seriously from the Blue Square North untill the Premier League I havn't got any job offers from any club. No problem, I can live with that. But within 1 month I have got an offer from Ivory Coast and just 1 minute ago from Manchester United! I feel honoured! 65M transfer, 1.7M wage and a 89k a week contract...

Very impressive cup run, shaggy :) Hopefully should mean you get a bigger wage budget next season so that you can improve the depth of your squad and push for promotion :thup:

In my game \o/ LEAGUE WIN \o/ 1-0 at 21st placed Weston-super-Mare. We're still bottom of the table, but only three points from safety now.

Make a solid counter tactics, one for playing at home, one for away thats a bit more defensive, and one thats real direct for real bad weather.

I actually don't bother with this - I have one set tactic that I change with shouts and mentality depending on the situation and backroom advice (I have a decent assistant). Currently 3rd in League 2 and in the 4th round of the FA cup so it must be working!

Right, anyone had this before? My keeper is 19 years (wonderkid) and is already the keeper of Denmark! Great huh. But also still of Denmark u21!

Yeah its quit annoying.. happened to my English players Robson, Burke and Canham..

But then again it also happenes irl? Walcott etc.

Scout and trial as many players as you can, perhaps looking at unattached under 21s. If the scout/coach reports come back good, look to sign them.

I usually find the lower leagues easy(ish) since it is easy enough to build a squad that is better than the other teams in the league. It is the leagues further up that give me the problems.

I usually find the lower leagues easy(ish) since it is easy enough to build a squad that is better than the other teams in the league. It is the leagues further up that give me the problems.

I'm usually exactly the opposite. I can take a struggling club anywhere from L2 to the Premier League and turn them around, often going on to be very successful, but drop to the BSP or below and I'm completely out of my depth (though often that's when I enjoy the game the most, on FM08 I managed York - taking over about three seasons into the game - for seven straight seasons of bottom half BSP finishes :D).

Kingstonian (2032/2033)

Premier League Prediction - 2

Premier League Position - 1

Table

Graph

Summary

Let me quote my goals for this season i posted in my last review " Win it all " I did a nice try!

The League

It was almost a walk in the park this year. We didnt have to much pressure on our team and with 10 games remaining i started playing my youngsters.

My striker Casado got the Premier Division top goalscorer award. He was pretty good this year but it was also because of striker partner and captain Escobar

FA Cup

We finally managed to get the FA Cup trophy back! But it was a hard Final

Champions League

The best news!! I won The Final And the fact that it was against Villa just make it double fun! Villa have beaten us 3 times in semi finals

in European competetion. This team was also the last team i wanted revenge over since our several loss earlier in the career.

Just great to finally win something more than the League and finally win the Treble

Unfortunaly i couldt forfill my goals of winning it all because just Arsenal beat me in the Quarter final in the League Cup.

The only negative side of this season is that we didnt have any good prospects coming up from own ranks :( Its the first time in along time

that there havent been any really good prospects promoted.

Squad

PLAYERS FROM OWN RANKS:

Bowler

Robson

Burke

Brackenridge

Elliot

Henry

Canham

Transfers

Im in a position where im thinking about a "no signing" policy.. I havent really signed any 1st team players in 2 years so im actually almost already doing the no transfer policy.

Goals for the upcoming season:

Win the league cup :) . Im hoping that an exciting International job will become available.

League                Season    Finished   Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------
Blue Square South     2010/11   4th       Playoff Final losers
Blue Square South     2011/12   1st       Blue Square South Champions
Blue Square Premier   2012/13   5th       Playoff semi-final losers 
Blue Square Premier   2013/14   1st       Blue Square Premier Champions
League Two            2014/15   2nd       JPT Winners, Promotion
League One            2015/16   13th      none
League One	      2016/17   2nd	  Promotion
Championship	      2017/18   14th	  none
Championship	      2018/19   12th	  none
Championship	      2019/20   5th	  Playoff semi-final losers
Championship	      2020/21   5th	  Playoff final losers
Championship	      2021/22   1st	  Championship Champions
Premier League	      2022/23   10th	  none
Premier League	      2023/24   14th	  FA Cup semi-finalist
Premier League	      2024/25   13th	  FA Cup Winners
Premier League	      2025/26   9th	  none
Premier League	      2026/27   7th	  none
Premier League	      2027/28   2nd	  Uefa Cup Semi-finals, FA Cup Final
Premier League	      2028/29   4th	  [b]Champions League Winners[/b]
Premier League	      2029/30   1st	  [b]Premier League Champions  - CHALLENGE COMPLETED[/b]
Premier League	      2030/31   1st	  Premier League Champions
Premier League	      2031/32   1st	  Premier League Champions
Premier League	      2032/33   1st	  Premier League Champions, Champions League Winners, FA Cup Winners.

How do I tell my defensive players to get rid of the ball instead of fooling around with it?

it costs me alot of goals when they tackle the ball and instead of passing it or kicking it out the park, they get tackled back and loose the ball and the opponent scores.

:(

Nice season kaNovi! Nice to see you finally beat those Villa's.

LOL, Sunderland is some funny team in my game I must say. They are playing 4-2-3-1 with players like Kakuta, Nasri, Cavani and Kaka(!)... Like whatever, Kaka and Sunderland lol

1st season in the BSN

First 21 games Shots 262 on target 130 CCC's 72 Woodwork 12 Goals 40

Opposition Shots 194 on target 80 CCC's 34 Woodwork 6 Goals 30

Next 9 games Shots 111 on target 41 CCC's 20 Woodwork 6 Goals 14

Opposition Shots 80 on target 37 CCC's 22 Woodwork 1 Goals 14

AS you can see a massive drop of in terms of shots on target, more opposition CCC's and I'm still 50% more likely to hit the woodwork.

My completely new attack force has gelled together now and we are scoring freely :D. In the last 4 games we have scored 19 but unfortunately conceeded 6 as well (6-1, 4-1, 4-3, 5-1)

So far this season we have scored 63 in 27 games (2.3 goals/match) But we still keep losing to other promotion contenders quite comfortably (eg 2-0/3-0) its really frustrating :mad:

Canvey Island

2012/13

I took over in October, nearly a year after getting the boot from Nuneaton, and we've had a pretty solid first year, certainly something to build on if I can avoid getting sacked in my second season this time.

Blue Square South

When I took over after 9 games, the club had just one win to their name and we're looking likely to live up to the media prediction of 21st place. I thought that major squad surgery would be needed, but to be honest, throughout the season the majority of the starting XI were players already at the club when I joined. Once we finally got our first league win under my guidance we began a steady yet relentless climb up the table which actually saw us in with a chance of sneaking a play-off place going into the final round of games. Forest Green pooped that idea with a 3-1 win at our place (for which they will be made to pay at some point in the future) but it gives me hope that we can be in the mix up next season.

League Positions Graph

FA Cup

The club had got to the 4th qualifying round before I arrived, and a home tie against Merthyr should have been easy enough to negotiate, but we got dumped on our asses as we still struggled to find some form.

FA Trophy

A much better run for which I was fully in charge, we started out with a win over Hayes & Yeading and followed that up with a 5-1 rout over Blue Square Premier side Dagenham & Redbridge. Eventual Blue Square South champions Chelmsford were dispatched next in a tight match before we ran out stunning 8-1 winners over Dartford. Rushden & Diamonds waited in the 4th round, but after drawing 3-3 at home, we lost the replay 4-2 at their place.

Key Players

The most pressing matter when I joined was to sign a goalkeeper (the only two on the club's books were only 16 years old and neither was any good even for that age). Rob Lainton joined for £500 from Airbus (and shall always be remembered as my first cash signing) but it was free transfer (and former Southend 'keeper) Jeet Padaruth who played the vast majority of games. He was nothing special, but solid enough to do the job.

Already at the club when I joined was Paul Hakim, who became the focal point of our three man attack and ended up with a haul of twenty-four goals in all competitions. Alongside him we loaned in Phil Taylor (I'm not even a darts fan and I couldn't stop from calling him 'The Power') and, like Padaruth, he did a solid if unspectacular job. My favourite player, however, was young midfielder Mark Hartmann, who showed an eye for a quick, defence splitting pass that was invaluable and earned him a new contract. He's made 79 league appearances already for the club and will likely make a lot more if we stay at this level.

Next Season

It'll be interesting to see what the board expect; this season they merely wanted us to fight bravely against the drop, so no doubt they're utterly delighted with me. The finances are, as ever at this level, a real problem as we side more than £160K in the red, so I wouldn't be surprised to see budget cuts, and if that happens then avoiding relegation will once again have to be the main item on the agenda.

Career Overview

Season League Final Pos. Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuneaton Town
2010/11 Blue Square North 5th Lost in play-off semi final
2011/12 Blue Square North 12th Sacked 11 games into the season

Canvey Island
2012/13 Blue Square South 10th None

Great season kaNovi! You're really powering ahead of me now, my time spent on the game is basically zero now thanks to lovely exams :(

Hehe at some point i cant keep playing as much as now. I also have exams etc etc. but the last couple of weeks i have had time of because of extreme snow and teacher sickness! And that cant last forever, hehe.

1st season in the BSN

First 21 games Shots 262 on target 130 CCC's 72 Woodwork 12 Goals 40

Opposition Shots 194 on target 80 CCC's 34 Woodwork 6 Goals 30

Next 9 games Shots 111 on target 41 CCC's 20 Woodwork 6 Goals 14

Opposition Shots 80 on target 37 CCC's 22 Woodwork 1 Goals 14

AS you can see a massive drop of in terms of shots on target, more opposition CCC's and I'm still 50% more likely to hit the woodwork.

Your CCC conversion rate is actually pretty good, indicating that when you create chances they are very good ones (as all CCCs are not created equal ;)). So your attacking play is working nicely enough, but it looks like the opposition have found a flaw in your tactic. Have a look at how their chances are coming about and see if there's a common theme - balls over the top, giving the ball away, your defenders getting outmuscled, etc. This will give you the clue of how to fix things :)

Hehe at some point i cant keep playing as much as now. I also have exams etc etc. but the last couple of weeks i have had time of because of extreme snow and teacher sickness! And that cant last forever, hehe.

Yeah the problem with the snow for me here is that I can't concentrate at home so I have to go into university in order to do worthwhile revision - which is impossible when the buses are cancelled due to the snow! And of course none of the exams will be cancelled :rolleyes:

Canvey Island

2012/13

I took over in October, nearly a year after getting the boot from Nuneaton, and we've had a pretty solid first year, certainly something to build on if I can avoid getting sacked in my second season this time.

Blue Square South

When I took over after 9 games, the club had just one win to their name and we're looking likely to live up to the media prediction of 21st place. I thought that major squad surgery would be needed, but to be honest, throughout the season the majority of the starting XI were players already at the club when I joined. Once we finally got our first league win under my guidance we began a steady yet relentless climb up the table which actually saw us in with a chance of sneaking a play-off place going into the final round of games. Forest Green pooped that idea with a 3-1 win at our place (for which they will be made to pay at some point in the future) but it gives me hope that we can be in the mix up next season.

League Positions Graph

FA Cup

The club had got to the 4th qualifying round before I arrived, and a home tie against Merthyr should have been easy enough to negotiate, but we got dumped on our asses as we still struggled to find some form.

FA Trophy

A much better run for which I was fully in charge, we started out with a win over Hayes & Yeading and followed that up with a 5-1 rout over Blue Square Premier side Dagenham & Redbridge. Eventual Blue Square South champions Chelmsford were dispatched next in a tight match before we ran out stunning 8-1 winners over Dartford. Rushden & Diamonds waited in the 4th round, but after drawing 3-3 at home, we lost the replay 4-2 at their place.

Key Players

The most pressing matter when I joined was to sign a goalkeeper (the only two on the club's books were only 16 years old and neither was any good even for that age). Rob Lainton joined for £500 from Airbus (and shall always be remembered as my first cash signing) but it was free transfer (and former Southend 'keeper) Jeet Padaruth who played the vast majority of games. He was nothing special, but solid enough to do the job.

Already at the club when I joined was Paul Hakim, who became the focal point of our three man attack and ended up with a haul of twenty-four goals in all competitions. Alongside him we loaned in Phil Taylor (I'm not even a darts fan and I couldn't stop from calling him 'The Power') and, like Padaruth, he did a solid if unspectacular job. My favourite player, however, was young midfielder Mark Hartmann, who showed an eye for a quick, defence splitting pass that was invaluable and earned him a new contract. He's made 79 league appearances already for the club and will likely make a lot more if we stay at this level.

Next Season

It'll be interesting to see what the board expect; this season they merely wanted us to fight bravely against the drop, so no doubt they're utterly delighted with me. The finances are, as ever at this level, a real problem as we side more than £160K in the red, so I wouldn't be surprised to see budget cuts, and if that happens then avoiding relegation will once again have to be the main item on the agenda.

Career Overview

Season League Final Pos. Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuneteaton Town
2010/11 Blue Square North 5th Lost in play-off semi final
2011/12 Blue Square North 12th Sacked 11 games into the season

Canvey Island
2012/13 Blue Square South 10th None

Terk that was a harsh sacking, apologies if missed earlier post but did you guarantee promotion or massively overspend, ultimatums etc to get sacked at that new team i've never heard of called Nuneteaton (Nuneaton-i have done though.:)) Looks like you've sorted Canvey, expect to see you in the BSP soon.

Archived