dafuge's FM10 challenge

Good to see you're sticking with it, Swindon :thup:

The 2016/17 season has started superbly for me, we're top of League 2 after 10 games, have already had a League Cup game against West Ham which netted us some £300K and we're scoring goals from all over the place. Only sour note is that my 6'6" Irish centre back stuffed his ACL and is out for 11 months :(

Good luck Terk hope the injury dosen't hit you too hard.

What has just irritated me is I just scouted the opposing keeper who got a 7.9 against me only to be told he'd be the 4th best keeper if he joined and that he should only be signed as a last resort.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hastings United, Season 2015-16 – Season Six, Blue Square South

Summary

With the focus still on improving the financial viability of the club, there were no great expectations this season. I knew promotion was a big ask, but we did have a decent start… read on…

Transfers

Tried to cut the wage bill a little this year, and the signings were mainly on cheapish contracts. Quinn and Shaw were signed to try to improve the cover for Parkin and Lake-Gaskin respectively.

Competition Reports

Blue Square South

We had a fantastic start to the year and I was again wondering if a surprise promotion push was on. It never really was. This shows just how dramatic our fall was, after such a great start.

The Final Table this season. I really did think that a playoff place was possible, but in the end we had to settle for a mediocre season even by our recent history.

The e.on FA Cup - some good performances before a narrow defeat to BSP opposition.

The FA Trophy - We were quite unlucky against Grays, really.

The squad.

With selected stats for all competitions, ordered by the amount of time they spent on the pitch – a rough guide to their importance to the team I suppose.

Parkin still missed a good portion of the season, and in fact our dip in form coincided with his major injury of the season. So frustrating.

Key Players

Phil Parkin

How much longer will we be able to hold on to this gem? I won’t let him go for less than £150k.

Sebastian Lake-Gaskin

Really good season from Seb – plenty of goals. We just need to be able to replace him adequately. Made serious noises about moving on this season.

Marcus Cassius

Also fired this season, scoring plenty. These guys are good, but they need more quality behind them.

Sam Hatton

Back on form after three lean years. Hopefully he’ll keep that up.

Notable others:

Simon Evans. Improving but really needs to step up once more. Michael Rodwell played well though again, we need players like him to really improve to the next level in order to get us promoted. Phil Harrison was a good signing, and at just 18 he will improve a lot, I hope!

Finances

Some board investment really helped, and some of the cost cutting measures I implemented came off. It’s getting there.

A new link with BSP team Northwich Victoria has been announced by the board, so I might get some BSP players on loan next year.

Club Records and Awards

>> Biggest Win: 8-0 v Ramsgate, FA Cup, 10th October

Cumulative records (will be published every season as long as the holder is at the club):

>> Most League Apps for the Club: Phil Parkin – 200 – RECORD RECLAIMED

>> Most League Goals for the Club: Marcus Cassius – 75 – RECORD EXTENDED

>> Fans’ Player of the Year: Phil Parkin

FPOY wins:

Phil Parkin: 4

Louis Lavers: 1

Sebastian Lake-Gaskin: 1

MY team of the year:

Murphy

Hawksworth – Dean – Parkin – Minton – Harrison

Rodwell – Evans – Hatton

Cassius – Lake-Gaskin

Subs: Harpur, Abdallah, Baker, Warren, Pugh, Lawrie, Shaw.

Overall XI….Dean, Evans, Murphy and Rodwell were all inducted this year..

New Youth Cohort

This guy’s mental stats mean that he should end up being the pick of the bunch, though he will need to really apply himself in training as he’s not yet up to it technically.

I think we need to continue to rebuild the club financially, perhaps worry less about getting promotion. I was frustrated this year because we had such a good start but with this team we were never likely to hold onto that position. Any advice?

Previous Seasons:

Season One (2010-11)

Season Two (2011-12)

Season Three (2012-13)

Season Four (2013-14)

Season Five (2014-15)

Okay, I have chose Tonbridge Angels, just because they have a cool name.

Anyone got any players I could sign on the 10.2 patch?

Trial everything on free. That's the way to find good players.

Remember that pace and acceleration is a key factor in lower league, especially for strikers. Finishing is not that important.

Just about to start first game and I'm using the tactic Barcelona use in real life. This is because: I have McShea who can be an inside forward on the right, and Marvin Williams who can be the inside forward on the left with Kisuka playing in the ST role.

Will be interesting to see if this tactic works :)

What happened to them :eek:

Would appear that their finances are none too healthy, though they haven't gone into administration or anything like that yet. They picked up only two players this summer having let 11 go; and looking through some of the talent they released on free transfers it was most of their better players so now they've got 8 players on youth contracts in their first team squad, 5 of whom look to be getting a regular game.

Their manager was picked up by Cardiff over the summer after they got relegated to League 1 and they replaced him with a guy from Whitby Town who doesn't look anywhere near up to the job. So pretty much everything that could go wrong has gone wrong, and with over 50 goals conceded with only a quarter of the season gone, they could be setting all sorts of records for the wrong reasons.

Would appear that their finances are none too healthy, though they haven't gone into administration or anything like that yet. They picked up only two players this summer having let 11 go; and looking through some of the talent they released on free transfers it was most of their better players so now they've got 8 players on youth contracts in their first team squad, 5 of whom look to be getting a regular game.

Their manager was picked up by Cardiff over the summer after they got relegated to League 1 and they replaced him with a guy from Whitby Town who doesn't look anywhere near up to the job. So pretty much everything that could go wrong has gone wrong, and with over 50 goals conceded with only a quarter of the season gone, they could be setting all sorts of records for the wrong reasons.

Similar thing happened to one of my early FM10 saves with Cardiff, but they went into administration, they were using most of the youth team in the games, and ended up in League 2

First league game:

Dover 1-1 Tonbridge Angels

Welsh Wizard - Carshalton - Premiership- 2016/17 - Season 7

Table | Past Positions Graph | Player Stats

Predicted: 20th

Finished: 13th

Great season and manage to stay in the premiership by quite a distance.

FA Cup - Lost in 5th round vs Chelsea

League Cup - Lost in 4th round vs Blackburn

Team Stats

Team General

Transfers

Spent big on players building the squad up to a decent standard due to my quick rise up the leagues.

Finances

Stadium geting increased to so will spend most of the season at Upton Park again. Training and youth are getting upgraded too.

Key Players

Adrian Miralles

Wellington Silva

Targets

Improve squad and get rid of dead wood (better forwards to play with Wellington Silva)

Mid table finish or even a Euro

Season        Division            Position                 Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11       BSS                 1st                       BSS Champions Promotion
2011/12       BSP                 4th                       Play-off Winners
2012/13       L2                  12th                      
2013/14       L2                  4th                       Play-off Winners
2014/15       L1                  2nd                       Promotion
2015/16       CC                  6th                       Play-off Winners
2016/17       Prem                13th 

BSP is just super competitive this season for me.

Brentford in 5th (last playoff spot) have 61 points from 31 games, I'm 3rd with 65 points from 30 games and Cambridge are top with 68 points from 32 games.

Finally get a very competitive team and so do four other teams :D Should be a very interesting final leg to the season.

So after 7 games I am 4th in the league.

My home form has been very good so far winning 3 out of 3. My away form wasn't as good with 2 draws and 1 loss until I won an away game in my last game.

Although I have only scored 9 goals in these games, which is a little concern, but my defence have been decent only conceding 5 goals. But we need to improve our finishing and take more chances if we want to secure promotion this season.

Keep at it, try and build your team for next season, don't worry too much about getting promotion in the first season.

---------------------------------------------------------

Well I've just got into the 1st Round of the FA Cup after easy draws in the qualifying rounds.

The league form has been hit and miss so far, 1 game I will beat a team I expect to struggle against, the next game, I will lose against a team I expect to get a result against. So at the moment, I'm sitting around 11th in the league after 11 games.

Maybe the players haven't gelled together yet because I got rid of all the original team and replaced them with my own players, so I will be patient, especially with some players who I feel should be performing better.

Scoring goals is still a struggle and I think this is the main reason why we have been so in-consistent so far this season. Even though I have James Keatings, Craig McShea and Christiano Kisuka, I'm still struggling.

Hastings United - 2013/2014 - Blue Square Premier

This season the media predicted us to achieve the dizzy heights of 16th place, but we replaced the front two with a couple of very complementary strikers (tgt man/poacher combo) and drafted in a few good loanees and freebie midfielders to give us some good depth.

---

Season Summary - 4th

Didn't start very well, but soon we got very much into our stride and comfortably finished in the playoffs. It was very competitive amongst the top six but Wrexham really ran away with it towards the end.

Final Table

League Positions - Graph

Playoffs - Winners

We beat Cambridge United comfortably in the first leg 3-0, but a plethora of injuries to our first team meant we went into the rest of the playoffs (and the FA Trophy Final) with 4 less starters.

Injuries didn't stop us in 2011 and they didn't stop us in 2014, winning the semi-final 3-1 on aggregate, pitting us against Brentford in the final.

A pulsating 2-2 draw saw the tie go to penalites, where we prevailed 6-5.

FA Cup - 1st Round

We always draw league opposition in the first round, and this year was no exception as we lost to Cheltenham in a very weak performance 2-0.

FA Trophy - Winners

A lot of replays in this one, but we made it all the way to the final where we defeated Rushden in a cracking 4-3 victory AET. It's always nice to win the FAT too before you leave the non-leagues.

----

Squad - Good quality up front and in the middle of the park formed the basis for our success.

Finances - Given we were hovering around the (250k) mark of debt for the past 2-3 years, we were surviving basically on board handouts. However, while playoff final penalty shootouts and cup final extra time aren't good for the heart, they're good for the bottom line as we turned in a very healthy profit.

----

Key Players

Adam Hunter - Rock of the defence since the start of my career, he was so again this year. The constant.

Tom Craddock - A new signing for the season, filled the poacher role of our front two and was outstanding, scoring regularly through the season.

Stephen McDonnell - While he started the season not even making the subs bench, injuries put him into the playmaker role in the centre of midfield in November. He was like a duck to water and wouldn't be removed until injury removed him during the playoffs.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4693606&postcount=5028]2010/11[/url]   Blue Square South        3rd         Promotion (Playoffs)
[url=http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4710480&postcount=5113]2011/12[/url]   Blue Square Premier      8th         None
[url=http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4735716&postcount=5284]2012/13[/url]   Blue Square Premier      8th         None
[url=http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4741463&postcount=5324]2012/13[/url]   Blue Square Premier      4th         Promotion (Playoffs), FA Trophy Winners

We're professional now, and hopefully playing in League 2 and winning the FA Trophy will give our reputation a bit of a boost so we can get some strength up front to backup the starters and at the back. I don't think we're relegation quality, so mid-table is the goal (don't tell the board!).

I think we need to continue to rebuild the club financially, perhaps worry less about getting promotion. I was frustrated this year because we had such a good start but with this team we were never likely to hold onto that position. Any advice?

I actually found with Hastings that you'll never get big crowds in to make you financially viable through gate receipts, even if you get to BSP level. Once I got to 250k in debt I was getting board handouts of 50-90k to keep us afloat until we got a windfall in the BSP playoffs/FAT final.

I guess the moral of the story is not to worry about finances too much and just get cheap fast players to get you scoring goals and promoted.

Keep at it, try and build your team for next season, don't worry too much about getting promotion in the first season.

---------------------------------------------------------

easier said than done, because I completed the challenge last year it feels like I'm repeating myself just doing it again this year, plus with last year doing so well I'm a tad impatient. I think the problem is I really want to play FM10 but am really struggling to find a team and league that I'm really happy with.

Congratz aeropaus on promotion and FA Trophy win:thup:

Dafuge, is it okay if i give some of my remaining transfer budget to a BSS club eg. buyin one of their rubbish reserve players for a ridiculous amount of money to help them get promoted?

Champions League:

We were given a difficult group:

At. Madrid, AC Milan and AS Monaco

Gameweek 1: drew 3-3 away to AS Monaco

Gameweek 2: lost 2-0 at home to AC Milan

Gameweek 3: drew 2-2 at home to At Madrid

Gameweek 4: lost 2-1 away to At. Madrid

Gameweek 5: won 3-2 at home to AS Monaco

Gameweek 6: lost 3-1 away to AC Milan

Final Table

We were unlucky with some of the results, they didn't reflect our performances but even so the gulf in class between us and AC Milan/ At. Madrid was huge.

Hampton and Richmond :D i live 5 minute walk from them and i am a season ticket holder there. I really want to get them into the premiership :D

Maybe when you finished the challenge you can go and be manager of them ;)

//

Shame about the CL, but lucky for you can go in the Europa League now and win that...

Your poule looked alot like mine btw 1 spanish, 1 italien, 1 french (Villareal, AC Milan and G. Bordeaux)

Maybe when you finished the challenge you can go and be manager of them ;)

//

Shame about the CL, but lucky for you can go in the Europa League now and win that...

Your poule looked alot like mine btw 1 spanish, 1 italien, 1 french (Villareal, AC Milan and G. Bordeaux)

Yer when i complete the challenge ill make 2 saves of it 1 of them ill carry on with sutton the other ill manage h+r

I hope i can win the Europa League but with the likes of Barcalona, Tottenham, Arsenal and..........Burnley :D it will be quite difficult

lol, I was hoping you could play teams like PSV, Ajax, Benfica etc...

/

lil update with 28 games underway:

Premier League: 1st with 61 points, but one game more then Sunderland who are second with 61 points.

FA Cup: 6th round vs Newcastle

League Cup: final vs Chelsea

Community Shield: Winners!

Champions League: 1st knockout rnd vs Benfica (1st leg 2-0 won)

So I am, shocking, doing a great run this year, and could win everything lol... but I do know that is just a dream :)

Merthyr Tydfill 2027/28 Premiership

Table

Positions

League Cup - 2nd Rd

FA Cup - 3rd Rd

I started with what i thought was a good squad, 2 leading prem players and abraham and carreras had become wonderkids. My capacity was also 1410 for 7 months so i decided not to make any purchases. This turned out to be a mistake as the squad struggled, being in the bottom 3 for most of the season, I started to improve in jan and climbed out until another poor run meant it went to the last game of the season against Tottenham.

A 2-1 win kept me safe and relegated them.

In the league cup put out a reserve side who lost 1-0 to League 1 MK dons. In the FA cup i lost 1-0 to Man U.

My finances were pretty poor as the ground was converted to seats for 7 months although the board announced a 5000 seat increase in capacity for next season.

Transfers

Lehmann (history) wanted to leave and was sold for a good price.

Moncur (history) was no longer good enough and Iddi retired at the start of the season.

Martin (history) was 4th choice midfielder and was sold. Tedeschi (history) was rated my best defender but he had too many sub 5 rated performances and was sold for 5 million, i sold the sell on clause a month later for another 7 million.

Coming in were Sergio a top class striker and Anastiadis who added more strength to the midfield

Squad

Not too much to say about the squad , most were very average in their performances, Roberto did ok although wants to move and kept requesting a transfer. Abraham also did well for a player still developing

Star player - turned into a wonderkid by jan and took over on the right from roberto, also wants to leave but on a long contract.

2028/29 Premiership

Table

Positions

League Cup - Qtr Final

FA cup

I had higher hopes for this season with 2 leading prem potential youths coming through at the start but i ended up treading water in the lower half of the table, my performances against the better teams were particually disappointing.

I ended the season 6 points worse than last year after a run of only 7 points in the last 11 games. In the league cup i lost to Man C 4-2.

The FA cup was a different story with my best ever showing, after fielding a reserve side to non league Marine and League 1 Bradford ( it took a replay and extra time to win :rolleyes:).

I needed another replay and extra time to get past Man U before seeing off Aston Villa in the semi final. In the final the turning point was the sending off as i was comfortable from then on going on to pick up the first major silverware and a place in europe for the first time.

Finances improved with the stadium increasing to 15000, board announced a further increase of 7500 an the end of the season, training and youth facilities were improved.

Transfers

A lot of movement especially in jan and long time players who were unable to take me foward left. Amestoy (history) was amongst these along with the first choice centre defence of Bray (history) and Antonacci (history) and the midfielder Morisse (history). Roberto (history) wanted to leave on a bosman so i sold him first.

Coming in were Volpe who is described as a world class goalie and a new centre defence of Castellani and Castillo. Romero came in to replace Roberto.

Squad

In goal Volpe and Bonetti vied for number 1 spot.

At right back Hagelstein missed a lot of games through injury and Perez filled in. At left back Carreras was poor and the veteran Rivera did well.

Anastasiadis was very solid in centre midfield mostly with Cano.

On the left midfield Volpi and El Asmar shared the spot due to runs of form. My promising youth Morris did well for 16.

On the right Aslan was the main force. Up front Sergio and Abraham did well without really scoring the number of goals i expected, Kiliclasan chipped in with some as well. Bater hasn't improved his stats since he came into the youth squad 2 seasons ago, rated a L2 standard he still did well when injuries meant i had to call on him.

Star Player - hopefully a rock at the back for many years to come and a real threat on corners.

Career so far:

Season    League                       Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11   Blue Square South             3rd         Promoted via playoffs
2011/12   Blue Square Premier           9th         None
2012/13   Blue Square Premier           2nd         Promoted via playoffs
2013/14   League 2                      15th        None  
2014/15   League 2                      13th        JPT Winners
2015/16   League 2                      5th         Promoted via playoffs
2016/17   League 1                      13th        None
2017/18   League 1                      14th        None
2018/19   League 1                      12th        None
2019/20   League 1                      15th        None
2020/21   League 1                      14th        None
2021/22   League 1                      1st         JPT Winners,Champions
2022/23   Championship                  16th        None
2023/24   Championship                  8th         None
2024/25   Championship                  10th        None
2025/26   Championship                  6th         Playoff semi-finalists
2026/27   Championship                  6th         Promoted via Playoffs
2027/28   Premiership                   15th        None
2028/29   Premiership                   14th        FA Cup Winners

Edit: On a side note i also passed 1000 games in charge, a 3-1 loss to Aston Villa, the FA cup final was my 1003rd which would have been a more fitting match for this, my reputation is now world class.

Congratz aeropaus on promotion and FA Trophy win:thup:

Dafuge, is it okay if i give some of my remaining transfer budget to a BSS club eg. buyin one of their rubbish reserve players for a ridiculous amount of money to help them get promoted?

That's fine. What you do with your money is up to you.

As long as you don't break the few rules in the OP, you can do what you like.

Well after starting this challenge with Tonbridge Angels I'm disappointed that i'm still awaiting my first win in the league so far bottom of the league played 10. Won 0 Drawn 5 Lost 5 and when your winning and the opposition do This you begin to wonder will you ever win. Surely my teams fortunes will change soon :rolleyes:.

Righto, taking a fresh look at this challenge after a halted Tiverton performance.

Going with Bedford Town

375 pounds a week contract, expected to fight bravely against relegation with a transfer budget of 0 and a wage budget of 3k with 2k already being spent.

Let the fun/brain-sploding begin!

Don't think promotion is on the cards for me. I'm 12th at the moment but it's very tight and I could slip down to 17th if I draw or move up to 6th if I win.

Struggling, like in most of my saves, with loan players. I've only brought in 2 and they were from teams in a league below me! :D

Moses-Garvey is a great player, and I picked him up for £2K from Burton Reserves. He's got 9 in 12, and also a few youngsters I brought in after they were released from Tranmere.

'mon Marine!

Archived