Career Updates Forum Mini Updates Thread

dafuge

So I've played FM 13 for a few months now, and it being my first FM, I'm reluctant to switch to FM 14 until I feel like that I've completed something with 13. I almost achieved that this past weekend.

I manage Clube Atlético Paranaense in Brazil as my main save. I am finally at the point where I'm winning trophies regularly, and this last season I won the Copa Libertadores, which meant that I would play in the Club World Cup. I ended up winning the domestic double as well, so a win in the CWC would give me four trophies in one calendar year! I figured, win that, and resign so I could move on (I'd had several big offers, from clubs like Liverpool, Tottenham, and Atletico Madrid, so I knew I'd find something if I decided to continue in FM 13 rather than go to FM14).

I knew nothing of the CWC until I recently saw the African players literally stripping Ronaldinho after a match in that competition. Anyway, I drew Arsenal as they'd won the Champions League and we both easily dispatched our semi-final opponents. Arsenal for me was special because I support them in real life and have yet to manage them, or even play against them in-game (I want to learn the game better before taking on managing them). It was fantastic to just see the names Wilshere and Ramsey (and Douglas Costa and Xavi - heh) in the lineup. I don't know if the players in the game were in awe, but I was a bit - as much as you can be by a video game.

Surprisingly, Arsenal weren't favored by much, and looking at the player's attributes, my team really weren't too far off of them, except for their stars. Maybe one or two players in the Brazilian league had attributes like a few of their players. The media prediction was for it to go to penalties, and I immediately thought, "I'll take that." So I set my team expecting to play counter because I assumed that Arsenal would come out attacking and I have excellent passers that are reasonably fast. They did come out passing well and stealing the ball from my players quite easily, so I thought I was in for a rough match. After about 15 minutes, I switched to Extended highlights (who has time for an entire game, even against Arsenal?) and watched a few semi-boring plays. I slowly gained some control, though, and we went into halftime even, with the possession about 55-45 in their favor. I checked some Analysis screens, and it looked pretty even, except that I had made many more interceptions in my own penalty box, so I knew that they were getting to me. My team played much better in the second half, hitting the woodwork and forcing Szczęsny into some saves. Of course Arsenal were doing a decent job as well, but I somehow made it to extra time.

Both teams had made all three subs, so we had what we had (in hindsight, I would have subbed differently knowing it might go to a penalty shootout.) Both teams played tired, and my best AM, former Arsenal great (ha!) Fran Merida, scored off of a wall-rebounded free-kick on 110 minutes. I paused the game because I didn't know what to do. Drop Deeper? Stand Off? Hassle? Park 11 men on the goal line? I was going to beat Arsenal! I actually just changed a couple of shouts (no Get Ball Forward, yes Stay On Feet), and of course they were the wrong choices (well, I don't know if those choices specifically were wrong), as Cazorla scored on the break on 117 minutes, and I was gutted. I held out for another few minutes, and the shootout selection screen came up.

The good: My best penalty taker was on the field. The bad: My next three best takers had been subbed. Ugh. Regardless, the first five didn't suck, but they all had 13-14 Pen and around 12-15 Fin and Com, so I thought it would all come down to luck. Ciro, my best taker, stepped up and hit it right into the diving keeper's chest. Ayew then nailed his shot. 0-1. I then hit my next shot and hit the woodwork on another while Arsenal flubbed one that my keeper saved, then hit the next. 2-2. Arsenal make their next one 2-3 - I have to make the next one or it's all over. My player, Deivid, steps up, says a prayer (or at least I did) and misses the goal entirely (see screenshot - that little white dot is the ball going wide right). Well, crap. I know shootouts are pretty random, but this one hurt. Three missed penalties! One saved, of course, but still. (I've actually noticed that my players miss penalties quite frequently, despite the reasonable attributes, and in five seasons, I have never seen the opposition miss one until this shootout, which was my first shootout in the game.)

Anyway, I was pretty happy that my team hung with Arsenal for 120 minutes (the match stats show it fairly even, with Arsenal looking a bit more threatening), and sad that it had to end the way that it did. I think I'll stick it out one more season at the club and see if I can add that trophy to my case next year. And who knows? Maybe Arsenal will need a manager by then.

OHvpWRQ.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished my most fun season yet. A four way battle for La Liga with Atlético, Real Madrid and Barcelona:

201819finaltable.png~original

It came down to the last game of the season with my Real Unión side playing away at Levante and Real Madrid playing at third placed Atlético.

I went on to win 6 - 0, but all my finger crossing through the match failed to help Atlético become victorious.

I was predicted an 8th place finish, so i was really happy with the season overall. To celebrate our first season in the Champions League next year i splashed out £45million on a new left winger (actually a personal record, that's the most i've ever spent in a career save on a single player in any iteration of the game).

I've built my Real Unión side to play like Real Madrid so i guess it was fitting to lose the league to them, but i'll be in a better place to get them next year. ;)

• 2 months later...

My first career since my monster Numancia save.

Took over St. Mirren, ended up with a Scottish Cup Semi Final appearance & 5th place in the SPL.

This led to a job offer from Stoke, recently relegated to the Sky Bet Championship...

In a bit of a selling/team construction conundrum here with my Paris FC save:

I've basically got 3 first-choice quality CBs that I could possibly play, but I really only need to keep 2 of them, as I have a wonderkid CB that could really use the game time that comes from being the 3rd-choice CB (I rotate a lot since we are in the CL as well). However, I'm not exactly sure if I should sell, or who I should sell.

At the top of the CB pecking order is probably Lisandro Santos, who actually played at DM for us last year, but since we have a promising young DM in Abraham Tetteh and since Santos is rated higher at CB than DM, I thought we might move him there.

The two I'm thinking about deciding between are Bosko Panc and Gerard Prevost. Panc currently has two 40 mil offers on the table for him, and I bet we could push that number up for him; but I also think Prevost could command a similar fee if we wanted to sell him. It seems like a waste to have 3 high quality CBs when I can beat most of Ligue 1 (not PSG or Monaco) with what qualifies as squad players on my team. I would have enough game time available to keep everyone happy, but I also want to continue developing our wonderkid Salim Kehiha.

So my options are:

1) Sell one of Panc or Prevost

2) Keep both and move Santos to DM and block Tetteh's development some

3) Keep both and keep everyone at CB and block Kehiha's development some

Leaning towards option 1, but then I'm not sure who to sell. Panc is older and has offers currently on the table; but he is our club captain and has been with us for 8 seasons, so I have some sentimental value attached to him. Prevost is coming off a big injury, but he's been consistently terrific for us, is younger, and has nation home-grown status. Worth noting we do play a high line, so Panc's speed is helpful there, but Prevost has handled that task fine as well. Thoughts?

Edit: Worth mentioning that we are not necessarily hurting for money, with our bank balance anywhere within the range of 50-90m depending on what point of the season we are in and if we are making transfer money. But we usually turn in losses month-to-month during the season, but it gets made up by our Ligue 1 prize money and Champions League TV money that comes in at the end of the season. So, it's not like money is zero object, but we are not in dire straits, so any impetus to sell really comes from the desire to clear up space for our young guys to develop and to also cash in while interest is high.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a lot of saves going but I'm currently focused on keeping Rayo up. I was able to do that with spending only on a couple of hot prospects in the first season. Now, I bought a bunch of guys on frees and we're still fighting to stay up. At least we're in the Semis in the Copa Del Rey, tho

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New to the game in general and playing a French Ligue2 Save. Clermont Foot 63. Randomly chosen French start. This is going to be a journeyman save.(I didn't realize how big/important Ligue 2 was) The Countries loaded are Belgium, Netherlands, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic and UK all down to the lowest leagues possible or Skrill Premier in England. My Manager is my name backwards with Automatic Experience. I am American and don't speak French.

I took a look at the team and decided a 4-1-3-2 Attacking set up would do us well. (It's a favorite of mine that I stumbled on adapting others tactics) Anyway I have used it to great early success 5 wins (in league) 1 loss (in cup). The team is much bigger than any I have managed before. (Mostly League2 or Skrill Premier teams) Biggest problem is that most talented player a striker is going to leave at the end of the season. I can't afford him even he didn't want to leave.

Wondering If I should make a thread about this save? Would anyone be interested in reading about my trials and tribulations?

PS. The team has some of the ugliest uniforms ever.......I call them the "Barney's" after the purple dinosaur of children's TV fame.

Still Playing the Clermont Save.......made it about half way through the season. I am leading the league and got a new 2 year contract. We are advancing in the French Cup as well. This might be my most successful game so far.

Still would like feedback on making it a true career update.

Still Playing the Clermont Save.......made it about half way through the season. I am leading the league and got a new 2 year contract. We are advancing in the French Cup as well. This might be my most successful game so far.

Still would like feedback on making it a true career update.

Go ahead, if it's good, people will read

Bumbling around the world can only describe my journeyman save so far - half a season in the Iranian league , resigned when offered the Melbourne Victory job - sacked from there after 9 months (although buiilt a good squad that went on to win the Grand Final under the new manager); took charge of the New Zealand u-23s in Olympic Qualifying and won every gane to qualify for Rio 2016 (good fun - first international job); offered Busan I'Park job in K-League Challenge - resigned after 6 months after finishing season in 3rd and with squad disharmony/board dissatisfaction and National Servcie call-ups rife!

Where next? - well Montreal have just offered me an interview......

Clermont Foot 63. I ended up winning France's Ligue2 with 8 games remaining. I am now over my head in Ligue1 with the youngest and cheapest team with 200 to 1 odds of winning it. My goal is to avoid relegation. By some how getting more points than games played.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished a long first preseason with Boston United where I was forced to replace half of my players due to crazy wage demands, and other clubs stealing non-contract guys from me. Ready to conquer 2015 I hope.

• 3 weeks later...
Clermont Foot 63. I ended up winning France's Ligue2 with 8 games remaining. I am now over my head in Ligue1 with the youngest and cheapest team with 200 to 1 odds of winning it. My goal is to avoid relegation. By some how getting more points than games played.

I'm still playing that save......was able to keep Clermont Foot 63 in Ligue1 until the 2018-2019 season. Took another job after a horrendous start to the season in 2018. (The season AFTER Europa Cup Football due to winning a trophy) My tactics weren't working and team talks were worthless as well. I jumped ship to the English Championship side Sheffield United just before Christmas. I am playing decent midtable football and developing youth for a run at promotion to the Premier League. Just have to do well enough to renew my contract.......it is the 2020-2021 season.

Started a new career save in the week, and took over Berwick in December 2013, took them from 7th in Scottish League Two, up to 3rd, and winning the playoff final against the team that were in the league above trying to save there status in the league, so now attempting to keep Berwick in League One :)

• 4 weeks later...

In post #1702 that i made in this thread i mentioned signing a left winger to celebrate qualifying for the Champions League for the first time with my Real Unión team. José Carlos Albaladejo is his name and since signing he has won the World Golden Ball twice, was World Player of the Year twice and was Spanish Player of the Year for the last six seasons.

I have, generally, preferred to buy players young and train them so he was my record signing ever in an FM game at £45million (which has since been surpassed by an absolute beast of a striker who cost £75million) and since i became Spain manager he has always been the first player to be called up. He is getting on a bit, though, and his protégé is catching up quickly; a South Korean boy who is driving merchandise sales up and up, so when Paris St. Germain came knocking offering me £40million i haggled a bit and got £40million plus 25% of next sale. He will sign for them in the January transfer window.

Naturally, he is still a part of my Spain team so he played in the recent qualifier against Russia, where, to show me what i had just sold, he scored this:

(watch in 1080p if you can)

Maybe i should have kept him. ><

• 2 weeks later...

Sad days ahead. Despite only being 27, the greatest goalscorer in the history of my club needs to be sold, and worse still is that he's a youth-team graduate. Since he broke into the first team at 18, he's scored 181 league goals in 226 games, and 306 goals in all competitions, and he's won five Champions Leagues in that time. However, he can no longer cut it - all of my coaching staff rate him between 1 and 1.5 stars, and he's simply not performing any more.

I think the club's fans are going to be pretty unhappy when he leaves, though...

I'm currently in the amusing position of being first in my Europa Cup Group with one game to go and having not qualified, yet Marseilles, in second place on goal difference, have qualified. I know it's because it will come down to results head to head and if I lose my last game Swansea will go though due to their better record against me, but I can't help chuckling about it.

Sad days ahead. Despite only being 27, the greatest goalscorer in the history of my club needs to be sold, and worse still is that he's a youth-team graduate. Since he broke into the first team at 18, he's scored 181 league goals in 226 games, and 306 goals in all competitions, and he's won five Champions Leagues in that time. However, he can no longer cut it - all of my coaching staff rate him between 1 and 1.5 stars, and he's simply not performing any more.

I think the club's fans are going to be pretty unhappy when he leaves, though...

Is he really declining that quickly, or just that you've brought in/through better players?

Is he really declining that quickly, or just that you've brought in/through better players?

His stats are decent enough, but he's only been a solid 3 star player for the last four years or so. It was his performances that kept him in the side (he's scored at least 34 goals in each of the last seven seasons) but now he's hindering the development of a couple of youngsters, so I need to move him on.

A shame, but it needs to be done.

• 2 weeks later...

I left the Real Unión club i had built up from almost nothing for Leeds United, the club i support, who have been a bit of a yo-yo club all game and i wanted to fix that. In my first season there i was promoted from the Championship as champions and then made a really good start to the Premier League season, getting us up into the fourth Champions League place by christmas after spending way too much money on improving my first team, but it was going really well.

I started planning my transfers for the summer, knowing i was well safe and in a good place for possible European football but that we were way in the red so it could get a bit fiddly when with working out deals. Then this happens:

tycoon.png~original

He has wiped out the debt and put an additional £112million in the bank.

The coming summer isn't going to be as tricky as i thought. =)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived