The FM08 Career Thread

Stafford rejected you! They accepted me on automatic. I loaded the Russian leagues and chose their start date so that it would be half way through most seasons and there would be more jobs available and managers under pressure.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i probably should have done the same, and i actually might, there only seems to be brazil division 3 jobs available right now.

done;) waiting for it to load

there was less jobs, but its closer to the end of the season, so more will turn up soon.

ahh i just realised when i started again with the russia start date, i forgot to chose the leagues haha, so there wasnt as many.

3rd time lucky:rolleyes:

right so i went on holiday last night and didnt get any job offers, but i didnt really do it for long.

anyway, did it again today, and i got a few offers from the likes of Marine, Gateshead and Tiverton, which i rejected.

then i got an offer from Workington, so i decided to Delay, to see if anything else came up, and it did, i was then offered the job at Thurrock, who would pay me less, but have a better wage budget, so i negotiated with them on my wages, i was going to accept it, BUT a last minute offer came in from Sutton, who.....will pay less, but have a better wage budget, bigger stadium, and alot better media prediction. :)

ill start playing this when i get home on monday.

Career so far:

Season     Team                 Country    League                 League Finish    Achievements
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2007/08    Harrogate Town       England    Blue Square North      16th             Took over in March
2008/09    Harrogate Town       England    Blue Square North      5th              Lost in playoff semi-finals
2009/10    Gateshead            England    Blue Square North      2nd              Promoted via play-offs

Going to start Unemployed with rep as sunday league (lowest , correct me if i am wrong) .

going to load the following leagues :

all British leagues inc R.O.I.

top 2 of major leagues : france , spain , germany , italy , holland , portugal

coming to the end of the season with Colchagua CD, looking at my goals scored and condceded its just plane stupid. 107 scored and 109 conceded in 41 matchs. i'm 8th in a 12 team league. certainly shows my teams ability to score but concede way too many for a team of our ability. Will secure contracts of my strikers/midfielder asap and look to strengthen defensively over the winter. :/

Quite a few people finding it hard to get settled into a game at the moment. I was one before but stuck at it this time round.

It took me a few goes to get it right. I think it is important you find the right combination of leagues and detail before you start a long term game.

My game is getting a bit slow now but I'm in 2027 and I'm really enjoying it. It's probably about time I set myself some long term goals before thinking about ending my game on a reasonable date.

2012 - Colchagua CD - Primera B - Chile

Jonas Holmberg and Colchagua CD moved into 2012 with hopes of building a mid tabled team through some consolidation. That was achieved, never looked out of sought or depth throughout the league. My main struggle was the defence, we leaked like colander.

Media Prediction - 11th from 12

Transfer Budget - Yet again, same old story

Wage Budget - 2.84k per week

As i said above, we leaked so many goals it was unreal. Yeh we cancelled those goals out with our own but the amount of games where my defence went into hiding in the second half was just lame. I would need 4 hands to count the amount of games where we gave up first half/early second half leads and threw them away.

Same as last season of course the league was split into 4 phases and for the first time i will post a table of each phase to show some sort of progression as the season went on.

Phase One

Phase Two

Phase Three

Phase Four

So a 8th, improved 6th, level par 7th and a 5th place finish amounted to a final seventh placed finish

We had used Colo Colo again as to borrow as many players as we could, O'Higgins my actual parent club are pants Transfers

Squad+Stats

Top Scorer Gallardo - 25

Top Assist Gallardo and Ortega both 15

MOM Salinas - 6

Ave Rating Vargas - 7.46

We lost a fair amount this season, mainly due to the current stadium build and being just slightly over the wage bill. Things will improve soon as we compete in the league thus bringing more fans into the stadium. Finances

Aims for next season

• Improve defence
  • Run at a profit
  • Don't concede as many, better the 5 clean sheets we had. :/

It's April and the Boro board are refusing to offer me a new contract, I'll be pretty gutted if I cant get an extension since I've built a team for the future here. I honestly think I could deliver a Premier League title within the next three years.

Hey guys. Decided to give a career game a chance since I've just finished another most interesting challenge. I've found it really impossible to get a job though being turned down by Stranraer who I had my heart set on, lots of small teams I've never even heard of in Brazil and Stafford which would have been good. Anyway I've had an offer from Parnahyba in Brazil who are currently 4th in the Brazilian Nation Third Division First Stage Group 13th and they're predicted to finish 4th too (I don't get why they sacked their manager then...). They've offered me a contract at £475 a week and a wage budget of 1.4k which I think they've already eaten up unfortunately. I'll probably see if I get any other offers (delay) but do you guys think this sounds good?

It looks a good challenge though.

Edit: I've just been offered the job at Esportivo on £400 a week with a nice 5.25k a week wage budget. Unfortunately though they're in 8th place with just 6 points from 10 games.

2026/27 Season Review

Middlesbrough - Premier League

After escaping relegation again last season I knew this season had to be different.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Pleased, but also a bit gutted that I couldn't challenge for a Champions League place.

My old club Wycombe had their revenge as they won the FA Cup on penalties meaning I will be in the Intertoto Cup rather than the UEFA Cup.

Squad

Transfers

Here's the major transfers:

Xabier Martinez - signed as a backup striker he had a decent season, could even become a first choice

Danilo - bought for £825k and became a wonderkid within months, possibly my greatest signing ever. He just runs the show from midfield but constantly complains about moving to a bigger club, thankfully I have just encouraged him to sign a new contract.

Kees Hendricks - as you can see I sold Strand for £18.75m as I though he wasn't the one to take the target man role in my tactic. He immediately became a wonderkid, gutted. This new lad seems to be doing well though.

Job News

Just signed a new three year contract so I'm hoping I can bring a major trophy to the club before moving on.

Uruguay - Copa America

This was my first internation job so I was pretty excited to play in this competition. It got me some pretty great scouting knowledge anyway.

Group Stages:

Chile

Venezuela

Brazil

Group Table

Pretty gutted to go out like that, especially when I was 3-0 up against Brazil.

I resigned as manager of Uruguay.

I then got asked to reconsider my resignation, which I thought was odd. When considering it, I thought I'd have a look at what games they had coming up and to my surprise their next fixture was the Copa America quarter final.

Group Table

It seems that without realising I had actually qualified, when I took the screenshots there must have been games left which made me think I was out.

Quarter Final

Not quite sure how we won this but it was a fantastic result.

Semi Final

Should have been a lot easier than we made it.

Final

Gutted.

I've resigned again.

Career so far:

Season     Team                 Country    League                 League Finish    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2007/08    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      15th             Took over in March
2008/09    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      3rd              Lost in playoff final
2009/10    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      2nd              Promoted via playoffs
2010/11    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    4th              Lost in playoff final
2011/12    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    3rd              Promoted via playoffs
2012/13    St Albans            England    League 2               14th    
2013/14    St Albans            England    League 2               7th              Promoted via playoffs
2014/15    St Albans            England    League 1               14th  
2015/16    Bassano Virtus       Italy      C1/A                   16th             Relegated, resigned  
2016/17    Notts County         England    League 2               9th          
2017/18    Notts County         England    League 2               3rd              Promoted  
2018/19    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           19th
2019/20    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           21st
2020/21    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           18th
2021/22    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Lost in playoff semi
2022/23    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           4th              Lost in playoff semi
2023/24    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Promoted via playoffs
2024/25    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Premier League         n/a              Left to join Deportivo
2024/25    Deportivo La Coruna  Spain      Liga BBVA              n/a              Sacked after 13 games
2024/25    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         17th             Took over in February
2025/26    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         16th            
2026/27    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         7th              Qualified for Intertoto Cup
2026/27    Uruguay                                                                 Copa America losing finalists

While things tick along nicely at Istres, I've now left Finland to join another nation (my 4th overall) and a World Cup participating one.

After a poor African Cup of Nations, both Ghana and Nigeria sacked their managers, with only one in the World Cup...Ghana. I applied and got offered it.

I'm really excited about this as with a good World Cup my rep should soar, giving me a high profile job.

After my last career which I failed to get into, I've decided to give another ago. Since I ill be away this weeked and next week until friday, I won't have much time to continue it after today, but I'll start now. And while I've been gone seems Dafuge has made the step up to the top tier, well done :thup:

Leagues Running:

USA (MLS only), England (all leagues), Scotland, (Premier League only), Spain (Down to BBVA) Argentina (all leagues), Brazil (all leagues)

So after holiodaying until getting Offered a job I've finally been offered one in Argentina. It took until November the 29th to get it, but Ben Hur in the Argentinian 2nd division are 2 poitns adrift And I've been given a 2 year deal there.

Macclesfield - Coca Cola League One 2015-2016

Media Prediction: 24th

Transfer Budget: 45k

Transfers

I was finally given some money for transfers but chose not to spend a penny. I decided that on the whole, i would stick with the team i had. This was harder than i thought as my chairman again sold off my star striker, this time Nile Ranger was the one to be shown the door. To replace him, i brought in Keiran Agard from Walsall on a free and he has turned out to be a fantastic purchase. Another signing was Tom Taiwo who added some quality and experience to the midfield. Two young players were also signed as i continued to look to the future. Ellis Walker and Andrew Oxley were the players signed.

However, as January rolled round, many players were looking at moves to bigger clubs. Liam Kelly had finally forced his way into the first team but handed in a transfer request. When a 425k bid from Notts Forest came in, the chairman accpeted and another first team player was on his way.

Transfers

League

My first match in League 1 was an interesting one, a 5-4 victory over MK Dons. This was a sign of things to come in a season where i scored many but let in even more. The season started well and i remained in the playoff zone until the end of September. After that, the season went more to expectations and i failed to challenge for a playoff spot. I never looked like being drawn into a relegation battle, finishing 13 points above the bottom four in 16th.

Cups

League Cup:1st Round (Knocked out by Walsall)

FA Cup:2nd Round (Knocked out by Northampton)

Johnstones Paint Trophy:Finalists(Beaten by Ipswich)

Again I led Macclesfield to the final of the JPT and again, we were beaten. Jemaine Johnsons sending off in the 18th minute gave Ipswich a penalty and ended any real hope of us winning the tropy. Ipswwich converted the spot kick and 2 more goals put them 3-0 up. We got back into it, pulling it back to 3-2 but it was not to be and we lost the match 5-3.

Summary

A good season of consolidation. Our finances are great now and I am happy with the majority of the team. A number of young players are improving and could challenge for the first team in years to come. The only problem is that quite a few players are attracting interest from bigger clubs and it could be hard to hang onto them.

Squad

Last seasons aims

- Avoid relegation in League 1 - ACHIEVED

- Make the 4th round of a major cup - FAILED

- Make the area final of the JPT - ACHIEVED

Next seasons aims

- Keep hold of most of the current team

- Consoldiate in league 1 and improve on last seasons 16th place

- Make the 4th round of a major cup

- Make the area final of the JPT

Career so far

2007-2008 Stafford Rangers BSP - 16th (Took over in March)

2008-2009 Stafford Rangers BSP - 12th

2009-2010 Stafford Rangers BSP - 13th

2010-2011 Macclesfield BSP - 4th (Took over in October, beaten in playoff semi)

2011-2012 Macclesfield BSP - 2nd (Playoff winners)

2012-2013 Macclesfield League 2 - 15th

2013-2014 Macclesfield League 2 - 22nd

2014-2015 Macclesfield League 2 - 2nd (Promoted)

2015-2016 Macclesfield League 1 - 16th

Honours

2010 Setanta Shield winners (Stafford)

2012 BSP Playoff Winners (Macclesfield)

2015 League 2 Runners Up (Macclesfield)

2015 JPT Runners Up (Macclesfield)

2016 JPT Runners Up (Macclesfield)

After 2 games and 2 draws, we're now 4 points adrift. As it wis now January, I took the chance to bring in my own players.

Transfers:

Jorge Sumich - free (35 year old centre back who is going to be a first team player for my battling to survive squad.)
Felix Carrizo - free (at 17 will be a good striker for me in the future. Will be part of a rotational system now though.)
Hugo Gonzalez -free (29 year old DM who is bettre than other DM i have by miles. Good signing for me)
Roberto Gonzalez - free (31 year old who may partner the other Gonzalez in midfield centre.)

1 game left, and 1 point ahead of the last relegation spot. I'm away to eigth, So I'm not too hopeful of winning my game, but the team below are playing third place away D. So I reckon I can just survive this season.

Survival! :D As we stole a 1-0 win which moved us up to 17th!

Year        Club                   League                      Finished                  extra info
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007/08     Ben Hur                Argentine 2nd Division      17th                      Joined 29th April when in relegation zone, 
                                                                                        so Saved us from relegation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Season Targets:

1. Bring in some youth and get rid of some past it players.
2. Come around Mid-Table
3. Get an out and out striker who scores at least 15.
4. let in at least 10 less than last year, (I got 60 let in last year.)
5. Score at least 10 more than what we scored last season. (36)

Season Review

I decided to take the job at Parnahyba SC (does anybody know any websites or anything about these guys? I couldn't even find them on Wikipedia, only where they are based in Parnaiba) but that was the dullest season I have ever had on FM but I'm happy now. You get a mere 14 games in a season to progress through the first stage and unfortunately when I joined the club it was impossible to qualify. On the very day I joined we had a game, which we drew. I then reshaped the squad busting the existing 4.5k a week wage budget with players costing 10k per week. We won the next two games 4-0 and 4-1 but the whole team were then moaning about no first team football (since their was non, as we failed to qualify). The two wins knocked us up to fourth place in the league.

The new season changes over on January the first with the new fixtures and expectations being added. We are currently spending 8.85k on wages but have had our budget pushed up to 9.5k for the option less than consolidation, which is "Don't be outclassed too often". They offered me an extension to keep me at the club until December 2009 on the same wage. All in all I'm happy with what I have although I need to bring in another centre back who is very good in the air and possibly another striker. First up in the season is the Piaui state championship which should give us at least 14 games and starts on 16th of January, so we've booked a friendly and our parent club also booked a friendly with us which I'm looking forward to to gain match practice for the lads (unfortunately our parent club did get relegated though). Things looks promising however as we have had about 8 friendlies and 3 leagues games and are unbeaten thus far, drawing only two.

2007-2008 | Parnahyba SC | 4th Brazilian Third Division First Stage Group #13

nooo..... My chairman has accepted an 85k bid for my best player. He's now gone... :(

Just had that with my team, Salinas my best all round performing player valued at a mere 5k was sold for 110k. Stupid chairman just accepted everything, there was an offer for 170k on the table. Grrr.

hate that on FM. Unlucky ToMexico, But I'll suffer as well as my best player was a rock in central defense :( although, 've just signed a 19 year old who looks better.

Yeh finances are very healthy now, won my first game of my 3rd season 4-1, Cobresol up next much tougher test. Got a few decent players in, signed some players i had on loan last season from Colo Colo so they are of good quality.

Archived