The FM08 Career Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like things are going well for you adam. Wish I could say the same for me! My time at Fisher is at an end due to another relegation! I seem to be a death sentence for whatever poor club employs me:D My career record at the moment is P22 W2 D6 L14. Longest time at a club is 85 days, shortest is 40 days!

My Career

Spartak Ryzan-left after 15 games due to relegation

Fisher-left after 7 games due to relegation

After Leaving russia in oct, yhe only people to offer me a job were Fisher in BSS. I accepted the challnge of keeping them up (they are 21st with 10 games to go) but my contrat is only till the end of the season. Really need to keep them up as I dont think 2 relegations in my first 2 jobs would look good on my cv! :D

Good Luck Blowcrapup, it's fun in russia

Cheers. It seems to be so far but Ivanovo are woeful defence wise. I looked at your screenie and saw they got relegated in your game.

We've finished in 8th. A good finish in our first season up though. But after our Setanta Cup success, the board have offered me a 3 year deal at the club, and I feel I can get this club to progress further. So I've accepted it. It's now time, for the FA Trophy final.

good luck with your new careeer smithers :thup:

In our final against Rochdale it looked as if they would thrash us 3 or 4-0. But thats football for you, and we managed to last the ufll 90 minutes at 0-0. In extra time it continued, and after 3 minutes they went 1-0 up, our dream seemed to be over. Then, in the very last minute of Extra time, Ronnie Jones got the late equalizer for us. Penalties...

Aftr 5 each it was 3-3. It was now the knock-out round,

Centre midfielder Neil Caroll .... scores!

Shockingly, their GOALKEEPER steps up... SAVED!

WE'VE DONE THE DOUBLE!:D

(screenie to come later with season stuff.)

By the way, smitehrs, thumbs up is done with 'thup' in the middle of : and : :thup:

good luck with your new careeer smithers :thup:

In our final against Rochdale it looked as if they would thrash us 3 or 4-0. But thats football for you, and we managed to last the ufll 90 minutes at 0-0. In extra time it continued, and after 3 minutes they went 1-0 up, our dream seemed to be over. Then, in the very last minute of Extra time, Ronnie Jones got the late equalizer for us. Penalties...

Aftr 5 each it was 3-3. It was now the knock-out round,

Centre midfielder Neil Caroll .... scores!

Shockingly, their GOALKEEPER steps up... SAVED!

WE'VE DONE THE DOUBLE!:D

(screenie to come later with season stuff.)

By the way, smitehrs, thumbs up is done with 'thup' in the middle of : and : :thup:

:thup: lol

Well done on doing the double . whats your aims for next season ? promotion ?

Well done on the double Adam :thup:

Wooooooooooo! I'm back in magament. Got a 3 year deal with Bromley who finished 4 points above the relegation zone in BSS last year. The main plus point for me is this time i've got a whole pre-season to shape my squad rather then just making do with what I get. I've got a good chance of gettring rid of dead wood, and judging by the squad they ahve good strikers just got to sort out the keepers and defence.

smithers -Cheers, Yeah I'm hoping for a promotion push next season or at least play-offs. The main thing is that we get promoted next season.

darren -Thanks, At least you've finalyly got the pre-season to change your side and have a better chance of survival next season. Good luck :thup:

My Career:

Year        Club                   League                      Finished                  extra info
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007/08     Ben Hur                Argentine 2nd Division      17th                      Joined 29th April when in relegation zone, 
                                                                                        so Saved us from relegation. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008/09     Ben Hur                Argentine 2nd Division      19th                      Relegated, resigned. 
                                                                                        Joined LRMI shortly afterwards.
2009/10     Leigh RMI              Blue Square North           3rd                       Promoted through play-offs!
2010/11     Leigh RMI              Blue Square Premier         20th                     Fluked survival
2011/12     Leigh RMI              Blue Square Premier         21st                     Relegated and resigned and became Dorchester boss
2012/13     Dorchester             Blue Square South           1st                      Champions and promotion
2013/14     Dorchester             Blue Square Premier         8th                      Won the Double! (Setanta Cup and FA Trophy)

My Honours:

* Champions Of Blue Square Premier!

* Blue Square North Play-off winners!

* Runners Up in Blue Square North manager of season!

* Blue Square South Manager of Season!

* Setanta Shield Champions!

* FA Trophy Winners!

(Ones in bold are season achievements)

Aims:

* Title Challenge or at least play-offs

* Promotion

* Get an assistant after a year without one lol

Thanks Zellix, I did slightly better then Paul Jewell and Derby did-I won two games!:D However it wasnt enough to save them, was relegated with 4 games to go and as I was in the bottom div felt it was best to resign before the sack. On hol now waiting my next job offer.

my career so far

Spartak Ryazan-left after 15 games due to relegation

With one career i started with this team, managed to gain enough points early on to be in contention to stay up but failed to compete in the latter stages against the much better sides of the league and was superbly relegated.

Breaking News

Former England international Robert Dawson was today confirmed as Russian 1st Division side Textilschik-Telecom Ivanovo manager. The move, seen as a suprise to some, begins Dawson's mangering career. Signing a two year contract his main goal will be to survive in the 1st Division for that time.

We will keep you up updated as to how his career progresses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career History

2007 Textilschik-Telecom Ivanovo - ongoing currently 13th at mid season

I then moved onto this team and did ok if i remember rightly.

Good to see the same teams i once managed being managed in your games. You seem to have had similar experiences to me, so its good to see i'm not the only one who can fail with certain clubs.

Hello all,

I'm a long-term lurker and satisfied reader of 'the career thread'. :D

After initially reading through your tales of trials and tribulations, along with occasional success stories, I embarked upon my own career game. I loaded up the whole England structure along with the top two divisions from France, Italy, Germany and Ireland (all with a medium database). I did really enjoy it but I wished that I had loaded some more unusual leagues to prolong the interest.

My career went roughly like this:

St. Albans City - spent around 6 years here, won BSS, won BSP after 3 seasons, then finished at a high of 4th in the League Two and unfortunately lost the playoff. Left at the end of this season for pastures new.

Derry City - they were just relegated when I joined so the aim was to win promotion. Finished a near disasterous 7th in my first season, almost sacked, but then went and won the league and got promoted at the next time of trying. After a short stay, a new team came knocking.

Kaiserslauten - stuck in the German 2nd division, a sleeping giant, I went all out for promotion and achieved 3rd place in the league. It was a very short stay though after I upset the fans by applying for jobs.

Ghana - With no top flight teams interested in me, this was where my career really took off. Unbelievably, I won the African Nations Cup, despite having only taken over the team a few weeks before the tournament. After this high, I then failed to win a game in World Cup Qualifying and, due to a severe lack of a decent goalkeeper, I quit before I was sacked.

Leverkusen - The African Nations win opened the door to the top flight and this was the biggest job I could get. I wanted to head to Italy but couldn't seem to get a job there. Similarly, all the big jobs in England were closed to me. I had an awful start at Leverkusen, with a complete rebuild necessary and the squad took a whole season to gell. I was nearly sacked but managed to climb the league at the end of the season and finish 13th. My job at the club was considered insecure and, having lost the magic at Leverkusen, I decided to go no further.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have now decided to start what will surely be my last FM08 save game and I'm hoping to have another career adventure, perhaps with a bit more loyalty this time, in some more unique and challenging places.

I was really after a bit of advice before I get started. My last set-up was 18 leagues and 5 nations iirc. I used a medium database and seemed to get on fine. Things slowed down a little bit after 10 years but it was still progressing at an acceptable rate.

This time around, I want to pick some different places, go with a large database and add some small nations for fun.

I would be grateful for any feedback about this setup:

Belgium (Third Division and above)

England (Conf S/N and above)

Mexico (First Division A and above)

Sweden (Second Division and above)

Wales (Premier Division)

That's about 17 leagues from 5 nations. All this with large database. Also loaded the following small nations for a bit of fun: Aruba, Barbados, Cape Verde Islands, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg and India.

Going to start off with KB Karlskoga FF in Sweden.

Hoping to spend some time climbing the Swedish league structure, then maybe explore Belgium or Wales, before heading off to Mexico towards the end of my career.

England is loaded from force of habit more than anything as I like checking on my favourite teams and, you never know, I might head back there at some point!

I just hope my computer can handle all of that!

I've kept to a similar amount of leagues and nations as I did last time around, just this time a bigger database and more retaining of players from certain nations.

I have read a few comments in here, from people such as Dafuge, suggesting that things can get painfully slow in long-term games.

(My compy is Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66Ghz processor with 1GB RAM).

Any feedback about this would be gratefully received. I'm paranoid about getting a few seasons in and discovering that my PC can't handle it anymore after I've got terribly addicted!

Welcome and Good Luck Crouchaldinho. :thup:

Basically my laptop has the same set up as yours and i am running all the leagues in Eastern Europe. Bascially the old soviet union etc. All down to their lowest leagues. So thats about 27+ leagues.

I look forward to reading your updates.

Welcome and Good Luck Crouchaldinho. :thup:

Basically my laptop has the same set up as yours and i am running all the leagues in Eastern Europe. Bascially the old soviet union etc. All down to their lowest leagues. So thats about 27+ leagues.

I look forward to reading your updates.

Cheers ToMexico and Adam C - I have just loaded the leagues up and my computer hasn't exploded yet so that's a good sign. :D It was more the large database, extra nations and all of the Swedish and Belgian regional leagues I was worrying about my computer coping with!

Will try to write some updates once I get going. :thup:

My last career game was an attempt to start at the bottom and get some glory but, what do you know, I was bored to death by the time I got to the top before I'd even had one taste of top flight or european glory! It turns out the fun for me is all in struggling at the bottom as a small club! So, this time, I have loaded some interesting leagues where I am sure to struggle. :D

This is the first time I've read this thread, and it looks pretty fun so i'll give it a try. Can anybody tell me which leagues are the most fun to play in?(so i have the opportunity of having a job there) and how many leagues should I have loaded with my current computer. Here are the specs: 1.44ghz AMD Duron, 640mb RAM (pretty lame).

Polar249 - I can't really give too much advice. Personally, I would go for quality rather than quantity of leagues and nations. I am always afraid of my save game getting very slow and so I tend to restrict my setup to under 20 leagues and to only about 5 different nations.

Your computer looks like it will handle less than mine to be honest. I suggest you pick some countries that have smaller pyramid structures so that you don't have to load so many leagues.

As for the leagues to load, I would say what are you interested in doing in your game?

My last game was all about glory, so I loaded up the big nations such as England, Italy, Germany, France with one smaller one in Ireland.

My current save is going to be all about managing small clubs and therefore Sweden, Belgium, Wales all fit the bill. Mexico is there for something different later in my career.

Personally, I love the English structure. India is fun for something different. Italy always a favourite because the lower leagues are very interesting in terms of playoffs and playouts. I don't recommend France and Germany so much because their lower leagues are full of reserve sides (same with Spain I believe). A lot of people rate Sweden as a good challenge.

Hope that all helps.

Right, inspired by the Eastern European threads and my inability to get into an Asian career game, I'm going to create my final game on FM2008 and will stick with it.

Running all leagues (top two from Germany and Turkey) from the 10 countries on med database:

Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Germany, Greece, Romania, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine.

Will start unemployed with no experience with Welsh/English nationalities. I have no idea where I will end up and no idea how I will fare. I have played FM for many years but have never managed in ANY of these leagues before so it really is going into the unknown.

I guess my long term career aim is to make it to one of the top German, Greek, Russian or Turkish clubs or to dominate in one of the other leagues.

Thanks for the help Crouchaldinho. I'm mainly looking to start small then make my way up to the big teams, so i'll probably have a game loaded with England and Italy, then some smaller nations (probably Sweden and Wales). Hopefully my computer will survive long enough for me to give some updates about my career.

Right, inspired by the Eastern European threads and my inability to get into an Asian career game, I'm going to create my final game on FM2008 and will stick with it.

Running all leagues (top two from Germany and Turkey) from the 10 countries on med database:

Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Germany, Greece, Romania, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine.

I might be missing the point or being a bit silly but aren't some of those countries more central rather than Eastern Europe?

Or are you including them because they border Eastern Europe?

Good choices by the way. Should be interesting to see where you end up!

I wish I had faith in my computer to run more leagues!

Thanks for the help Crouchaldinho. I'm mainly looking to start small then make my way up to the big teams, so i'll probably have a game loaded with England and Italy, then some smaller nations (probably Sweden and Wales). Hopefully my computer will survive long enough for me to give some updates about my career.

In that case, maybe you could start off in Sweden and then just load the top couple of tiers of England and Italy, with Wales just being one league anyway. That wouldn't be too many leagues then.

Or, alternatively, if you're hope to start in England, then put in the entire England structure, and just include the top two of Sweden and Italy. You can then work your way up in England.

Just an idea. I did that kind of thing for my last game with England, France, Italy, Ireland and Germany.

I'm hoping to have more of a lower league odyssey in this new save though, so I've including all league structures!

I might be missing the point or being a bit silly but aren't some of those countries more central rather than Eastern Europe?

Or are you including them because they border Eastern Europe?

Good choices by the way. Should be interesting to see where you end up!

I wish I had faith in my computer to run more leagues!

hehe yes, many are Central European your right. But their all sort of bordering (ish)nations. I think there's a decent mix between strong and weak leagues and should be interesting to see how it develops.

I'm definately sticking with this game, no matter how difficult it is to get into.

Just had one of the best offers ever, this player is quite good, my main attacking midfielder, good attributes apart from the physicals. Worth 6k.

2 teams have just offered 1.2m and 1.4m each for him. Shame the offer was for him to score a minimum of 40 league goals. That won't happen i don't think. Not whilst i'm there. But have put in an acceptable upfront fee in each with a percentage of sell on. And left the minimum of 40 goals on just in case in 2 or 3 seasons time i'm still at Stal Dn and he has achieved that goal mark. 'MON

update

Both bids rejected. Offered him for 150k plus 50% sell on along with 1mil for 20 league goals. Much better offer for me. 2 clubs battling it out for his signature now.

hehe yes, many are Central European your right. But their all sort of bordering (ish)nations. I think there's a decent mix between strong and weak leagues and should be interesting to see how it develops.

I'm definately sticking with this game, no matter how difficult it is to get into.

Good luck Colorado - I hope it goes well!

Kuban - Russian Premier Division - 2021

Media Prediction: 5th

Transfer Budget: £5.5mill

Transfers

After last seasons success, I made very few signing this year. Arseny Klimov was brought in in goal and Zlydarev and Sidorov were brought in to add to the squad depth. Keeper Fedotov was allowed to leave as he was now third choice. Galat was the biggest departure as he was no longer in my first team plans.

Transfers

League

This season was blown open due to Spartak Moscows poor form. The Champions lost three of there first five matches, including a 4-2 defeat to my Kuban side. We were strong right from the start and only the amazing form of newly promoted Zenit St Petersburg kept us off the top of the table. However, their form couldnt last and after the mid season break, I was able to catch them up. However, Dinamo Moscow were also picking up a lot of wins and the going into the final few games, any of the 3 could win it. Zenit were the first to drop away and it was left to a title decider between us and Dinamo in the penultimate game. We won 5-1 and were Champions for the first time.

Cups

Russian Cup 2020-2021: Winners

Russian Cup 2021-2022: Qualified for Quarter Finals

EURO Cup: Qualified for 1st Knockout Round

Our superb league form was also evident in the cups. A 5-0 victory over Locomotiv Moscow won us the Russian Cup after beating Saturn and Zenit in previous rounds. In the next years competiton, we have advanced to the quarters.

I went into the European campaign with no real hope. We entered in the qualifying rounds so had to beat two teams to advance to the Group Stage. We were first drawn against Ujpest and were able to advance 3-2 on aggregate after a close contest. Next up were Sporting CP. I concurred with the fans that we would have no chance but a terrific performance in Portugal gave us a 3-1 victory. Worry started to kick in after a minute of the 2nd leg as Sporting went a goal up. However, the match ended up a 3-2 victory so we advanced to the group stages 6-3 on aggregate.

We were then handed a tough group draw against Anderlecht, Nurnberg, Levski and Premiership leaders Fulham. Again, I was to be surprised with my team as we picked up convincing wins against Nurnberg (3-1) and Levski (7-1). A 2-1 defeat against Fulham meant that we needed a draw against top seeds Anderlecht to advance. A dominant 5-1 win was not just enough to advance but also meant we ended up Group Winners.

We have now been handed a kind drae against Stromsgodset in the next round and will face either Besiktas or PSV if we advance.

Summary

A superb season in which we did the double and achieved that all important Champions League qualification. We are still in the EURO Cup and have every chance of reaching the Quarters. I am confident that with this team, I could dominate the Russian League for years. However, both my star strikers still want to leave so there may be problems ahead.

Squad

Last seasons aims

- Qualify for the Champions League - ACHIEVED

- Reach the final of the Russian Cup - ACHIEVED

- Reach the Group Stage of the EURO Cup - ACHIEVED

Next seasons aims

- Win the League

- Reach the final of the Russian Cup

- Qualify for the 2nd Knockout Round of the EURO Cup

- Reach the Champions League 1st Knockout Round

Career so far

2007-2008 Stafford Rangers BSP - 16th (Took over in March)

2008-2009 Stafford Rangers BSP - 12th

2009-2010 Stafford Rangers BSP - 13th

2010-2011 Macclesfield BSP - 4th (Took over in October, beaten in playoff semi)

2011-2012 Macclesfield BSP - 2nd (Playoff winners)

2012-2013 Macclesfield League 2 - 15th

2013-2014 Macclesfield League 2 - 22nd

2014-2015 Macclesfield League 2 - 2nd (Promoted)

2015-2016 Macclesfield League 1 - 16th

2016-2017 Macclesfield League 1 - 12th

2017-2018 Macclesfield League 1 - 10th

2018-2019 Macclesfield League 1 - 1st (Promoted as Champions)

2019 Kuban Russian First Division - 2nd (Took over in August, Promoted)

2020 Kuban Russian Premier Division - 3rd (Qualified for EURO Cup)

2021 Kuban Russian Premier Division - 1st (Champions)

Honours

2010 Setanta Shield Winners (Stafford)

2012 BSP Playoff Winners (Macclesfield)

2015 Coca Cola League 2 Runners Up (Macclesfield)

2015 JPT Runners Up (Macclesfield)

2016 JPT Runners Up (Macclesfield)

2018 JPT Runners Up (Macclesfield)

2019 Coca Cola League 1 Winners (Macclesfield)

2019 Russian First Division Runners Up (Kuban)

2021 Russia Premier Division Winners (Kuban)

2021 Russian Cup Winners (Kuban)

robbo - congrats on the double :thup: sounds like a strong team your building there. I understand your choice. My advice would be to look at both squads and see what team has the most potential. How far could you take southend? what sort of investment do they have? Or do you think you can progress in the champions league with Kuban? If you can then you might get a rep bump and gett a better job offer. Tough choice.

On my game, I think i'm going to start again, i'm only into oct in season 2 and my game is lagging! Think i've got to drop some leagues. Think i'm trying to run about 37 over 11 nations which was just stupid of me.

Following on from the start of my Central/Eastern European career, I've been employed by Bulgarian Second Division - Sliven 2000. My new chairman turns out to be former Bulgarian international Yordan Lechkov!

Predicted for a bottem half finish, Lechkov wants me to ensure the club establish themselves within the division in the next two years.

Sounds like your doing quality at Kuban robbo :thup: Congratulations on the double as well.

If I were you, I'd stay at Kuban for another season to seehow you fair in your first champion league season, then I'd get the next top flight job in England. What's your reputaion now inorder for you to get premier league jobs? Keep it up mate :thup:

lol, cheers darren. I have decided to turn down Southend. If it was a few months later, I may have accepted. I want to see how the EURO Cup campaign goes and maybe even the Champions League before moving on. Kuban have a lot of potential and about £12mill in the bank... enough for this league. The only problem is that my three/four best players want to leave. Without them, I would be a very average side. Their contracts last a bit longer yet but i cant see them renewing when they run out. I need to get out before they leave as it could all go wrong. So I will probably see how I do in Europe and look for a job then. I think I can do better than Southend anyway as I have been linked to the likes of Lazio and Arsenal.

Crisis At Dorchester!

In the summer Lots of key players rejected renewal on contracts and left. We could get no one even NEARLY as good as them to replace them. With £0 I loaded 3 players and that's it. The squad has gotten much, much worse and on November 1st they are sitting in 21st.

I've Resigned from Dorchester as they appear not to be just heading in the wrong direction, but miles and miles in the wrong direction. I feel that after winning the double I can get a job at a Blue Square Premier side. But I'm now holding out for a Foreign job and am not interested in joining a English club for the time being.

Unlucky, similar has happened to me at both Stafford and Macclesfield but not on such a massive scale. Nothing much you can do about it. I just make sure I offer long term contracts to players now! Good luck in finding a new job!

Well I did start again as my laptop was slowing down. Loaded up (all playable leagues) England, Ireland, croatia, Czech Republic, and sweden. Plus the top two leagues from spain and Italy.

After starting unemployed I was offered the job of Moltava(sp?) in sweden. They had a **** team full of kids, but were not in the relegation zone and had 10 games to keep it that way. My 'skill' for getting teams relegated showed once again as after winning my first 2 games we then proceded to lose the next 8, which put us in the relegation play-offs. 2 games later and we were relegated. Again:D So I left. Am now waiting for my next team to destroy! lol

Oh and robbo I think you have made the right choice :thup:

lol darren, unlucky! I dont know why teams employ you! I'm sure you'll do better next time.

I'm glad I stayed as I have had an amazing run. I am top of the League and have won the Russian Super Cup. I have just got through to the final of the Russian Cup too.

In Europe, i beat Stromsgodset and PSV before drawing Barcelona in the Quarters. 3-0 down after 15mins but I was 4-3 up by half time! They scored near the end to make it 4-4. A 1-1 draw at home sent us through on away goals! Basel in the semis and a 2-1 win in the first leg was enough after a 3-3 draw in the 2nd. Just about to play the final against Valencia!

And we've done it! Won the EURO Cup!

1-0 down at half time but two second half goals gave us the lead. They had the ball in the net on 80mins and I thought they had scored but it was disallowed. They brought their keeper up for a corner late on and there was a scramble in the box but we managed to clear it and hang on!

I am tempted to leave now and go out on a high but it is only half way through the Russian season and I have the Champions League to look forward too. Being linked to the Liverpool job though and I might not be able to turn it down.

i havnt been playing this that much, just now and again, and my first competitive match is coming up, against Cruzeiro :( im going to get killed. ill edit with the score. im expecting about 7-0

well, not as bad as i thought, only 3-0, although my defender did score an own goal from like 40 yards

Archived