The Chelsea thread 2006/07 - Champions

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

France international William Gallas is expected to stay at Chelsea after club chief executive Peter Kenyon met with his agent to resolve their contract dispute.

The defender had looked to be on his way out of Stamford Bridge in the summer after being unable to agree a new deal but may be about to make a U-turn and commit to the club for the long term.

According to reports in France, Gallas' agent met for showdown talks with Kenyon during the World Cup and the two parties were able to thrash out a new contract for the 28-year-old.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, now sign a left back, and let Billy play alongside JT icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

France international William Gallas is expected to stay at Chelsea after club chief executive Peter Kenyon met with his agent to resolve their contract dispute.

The defender had looked to be on his way out of Stamford Bridge in the summer after being unable to agree a new deal but may be about to make a U-turn and commit to the club for the long term.

According to reports in France, Gallas' agent met for showdown talks with Kenyon during the World Cup and the two parties were able to thrash out a new contract for the 28-year-old.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, now sign a left back, and let Billy play alongside JT icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there you go, lahm!!! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

yeah, I top the page </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are there any other Chelsea fans on here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahoy there!

IMO, get in Lahm and Ashley Cole. icon14.gif

• Administrators

I don't want either really, not that they're not good players, but Bridge is a solid player who's never let us down, Del showed some good spells, but a lot of bad, it seemed he wasn't always a team player, and then there's also Billy who can play there.

I'm saying this because I'm assuming/hoping there's a lot of faith in Jonas Elmer. A 17 year old signing went straight into the reserves last year, and played really well a lot of the time, and can play anywhere on the left, so would give the team some good attacking variations. I'm not saying he should play 40+ games, but some Cup matches, maybe the odd league sub appearance to get him integrated more rather than spend out on Cole or Lahm, who would be fine additions but set back Elmer.

I could go into further depth on signings vs player development with regards to Chelsea, in fact, I might.

I could go into further depth on signings vs player development with regards to Chelsea, in fact, I might. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am i the only one to think that Chelsea would be better off buying (or promoting a youngster already in the ranks) than buying nesta's and co?...then next year there'll be the same problems with gallas/carvalho/nesta fighting for 1 spot

Sky Sports now saying Velencia want Del Horno.

If it did go through, I'd rather bring in Cole than Lahm, however I see Juni's point with Elmer, bring in either of these are both long term investments that will potentially stay in the team for a long time.

Assuming Bridge will be 2nd choice it woudn't leave much room for Elmer to get anywhere near the team for a long time yet give or take a Carling Cup appearence here and there, or a place on the bench if one is injured, although now it looks like Willy is going nowhere it makes it even harder.

Point being if we keep signing players left right and centre, none of the quality young players in our reserve's are ever going to get a real chance to get established in the first team with a solid run of games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Total international appearances of current players:

Gérémi (Cameroon) 77, Ballack (Germany) 70, Shevchenko (Ukraine) 69, Duff (Ireland) 59, Crespo (Argentina) 58, Makelele (France) 50, Gallas (France) 47, Lampard (England) 45, Cech (Czech Republic) 44, J Cole (England) 37, Drogba (Ivory Coast) 35, Ferreira (Portugal) 32, Carvalho (Portugal) 31, Terry (England) 29, Bridge (England) 23, Robben (Holland) 23, Essien (Ghana) 20, Del Horno (Spain) 10, Wright-Phillips (England) 8, Johnson (England) 5, Mikel (Nigeria) 5.

Total international goals of current players:

Crespo 32, Ballack 31, Shevchenko 31, Drogba 24, Gérémi 12, Lampard 11, Duff 7, Robben 7, J Cole 6, Essien 4, Del Horno 2, Bridge 1, Carvalho 1, Gallas 1, Mikel 1, Terry 1, Wright-Phillips 1.

Current international appearances:

Caps won while with Chelsea: Gallas 47, Lampard 43, Terry 29, J Cole 27, Makelele 26, Drogba 22, Duff 22, Gérémi 22, Carvalho 21, Cech 21, Crespo 21, Ferreira 18, Robben 13, Bridge 11, Essien 8, Ballack 7, Shevchenko 6, Johnson 5, Wright-Phillips 4, Del Horno 3.

Current international scorers:

Goals scored while with Chelsea: Drogba 15, Crespo 13, Lampard 11, J Cole 5, Robben 5, Gérémi 4, Duff 3, Shevchenko 3, Essien 2, Ballack 1, Bridge 1, Carvalho 1, Gallas 1, Terry 1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mildly interesting!

I don't particularly want to see Lahm come in as unless I'm mistaken he is right footed and would be joining to play at left back and I am extremely sceptical of Right footed leftbacks and vise versa. I think Bridge is good enough to play first team tbh. Far better than Del Horno who was inconsistent and often made the wrong choices both going forward and defending.

I'd be more than happy if that Huth deal collapsed but God knows how long ago that was posted, probably all been resolved by now icon_frown.gif

More than happy with Geremi also. Realised he was going to have to adjust to playing at right back last season and looked solid towards the end so hopefully we can give him the RB slot, Bridge the LB and play Gallas in the middle alongside Terry icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonTheGTFCFan:

Ballack hasn't scored for Germany since joining chelsea??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only in a penalty shoot out.

He scored in a pre-WC friendly vs Colombia after he'd signed, so it's that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely that was before he officially signed on the 1st of July..? [/pedantic]

Aye they've called the deal off for definitie.

I like the guy, but am a little dissapointed because we don't need him - he won't ever be real top quality - and I thought we were getting a decent price for him.

But then at the same time when you look at the figures being touted around for Nolan, Davies and Carriclk, maybe it was a fair deal.

If Zambrotta comes to Chelsea, I will literally explode with joy and excitement (which will no doubt please the Man Utd fans on this board). The downside is that Gattuso is likely to go to United, as in the past he has said he's always wanted to play there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Milan aren't going anywhere though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But they aren't in the Champions' League this season, and with the 15 point deficit there's a chance they might not make it next season. GG might want to use that as an excuse to make a move. But that's besides the point: c'mon Zambrotta!!!

Archived