The Joys of Versatility - From the Deserts of Djibouti to the International Stage

History: It all started on the first day of 1992. The first batch of genetically engineered footballers were born in a lab somewhere in the Djibouti desert. They were the first of 6 groups to be born over the next 6 months, and by the end of June there were 22 little footballers ready to explode onto the international scene in a short 16 years.

The consortium behind the plan has also invested in two lower league clubs for the youngsters to hone their skills in England. The clubs selected have been revealed to be Cambridge City and Oxford City. Both of these clubs will be in the Southern League Premier Division, but will be heavy favourites for promotion in the upcoming season. Little is known about any of these young footballers, but we can exclusively reveal the line-ups for the two teams.

Cambridge City

GK - Richard Scrotington

DR - Damballah

DL - Mark Trevor

DC - Marky Mark

DC - Jack Browne

DMC - Max Power

AMC - James Salter

AMC - Jenkins Gunnhead

MR/AMR - Sercan Cali

ML/AML - Lawrence Lazewski

ST - Birdy da Costa

Oxford City

GK - Casii Uga Uga

DR - Tyler Burrows

DL - Jonathan

DC - Brucie Bonus

DC - Kalifa Quansah

DMC - Scott Tysoe

AMC - dafuge

MR/AMR - Ihsaan Ahmed

ML/AML - Mathias

FC - Robert Blowcrapup

ST - James Hulme

The young Djiboutians will be making their international debuts early in the season, as they are set to host Malawi in September before travelling to Egypt a month later as they wrap up their World Cup Qualifying matches. It is already mathematically impossible for them to qualify at this point, so these games should be a good run-out for the new manager to get a feel for his team.

These first two games will be posted in the next few hours.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The host for the Olympic Games has been decided

The new Djibouti manager has selected his new captain and vice-captain

Match 1 - September 5th, 2008

Djibouti vs Malawi - World Cup Qualifying (AFR) 2nd Round Group 12

Lineups

We dictated the game from start to finish, with their only shot going several yards off target. dafuge had the first real chance of the game after getting the ball just outside the area from a poorly cleared corner, with his shot just clipping the top of the bar on its way over. The majority of our chances came from outside the area, with Max Power coming closest with a dipping shot that went just wide of the post in the second half.

Post Match Analysis

Overview/Match Stats

Player Ratings

Overall a solid performance, but we really should have put one of our chances away. Considering they won the corresponding fixture 8-1, I would say this was a successful debut. Things are only going to get tougher though, as we are set to travel to Egypt in a month's time.

Season Update

Cambridge City - They made a promising start in preseason, putting together 3 wins and a draw against decent competition. They were drawn against Boston United in the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying round. After a Lawrence Lazewski goal secured an away draw, they were unable to capitalize in the replay, losing 1-0.

Oxford City - They put together two wins and a loss in preseason, including a 2-1 victory over rivals Oxford United. They fared better than their counterparts in the FA Cup, securing a 3-2 away win at Margate with goals from Blowcrapup, Tysoe and Hulme. They have been drawn at home in the 3rd Qualifying Round against Bognor Regis, but that game is scheduled one day after Djibouti meets Egypt.

Solid performance by Cali in the Malawi game. First player in kms ran, 7.2 rating. Eagerly waiting the Egypt game Loked.

So you don't get your hopes up, he was one of the four unfortunate players that weren't selected for the game. :(

It was a tough choice, but you will be starting the next game.

Match 2 - October 10th, 2008

Egypt vs Djibouti - World Cup Qualifying (AFR) 2nd Round Group 12

Lineups

A solid first half performance saw us go into the half level, although Richard Scrotington had to make a couple of saves. We had a couple of chances as well, with Birdy da Costa and Scott Tysoe each forcing a save after some good team play.

We came close with around 20 minutes to go, after a Max Power giveaway was turned into a counter-attack by some good defending. We paid the price soon after, as Amr Zaki took advantage of a lapse of concentration at the back to get in behind the defence from a long kick by the goalkeeper. We almost conceded again after the prime example of why I wish you could select different indirect free kick takers when you have a goalkeeper set to take your free kicks happened, but fortunately Tyler Burrows came through in magnificent style. That led to a great chance to peg them back when Scott Tysoe played Birdy da Costa in, but unfortunately the captain's nerves appear to have got to him. Definately not a horrible result, but we really needed to create more chances with the possession that we had. Things are looking really good right now though, but we have a long break before our next game to get through.

Post Match Analysis

Overview/Match Stats

Player Ratings

We don't have any games scheduled for 2009 yet, but I will be trying to fill the calendar with friendlies.

So you don't get your hopes up, he was one of the four unfortunate players that weren't selected for the game. :(

It was a tough choice, but you will be starting the next game.

No problem at all Loked. What I mean was I was waiting for the update. The rotation is good for all of us :) Solid performance against the toughest (maybe) nation in Africa. With some goals and good football against the minor sides, we can, we will build on and never look back again :D

Season Update - December 31st, 2008

Cambridge City - They haven't played in any other cup games.

Oxford City - They managed to sneak a 2-1 win in the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round, despite all of the Djiboutian youngsters being away at Egypt. The youngsters were back in the 4th Qualifying Round match against Fisher, rampaging to a 5-0 home victory, but they were dismantled in a 3-0 defeat to MK Dons in the 1st Round proper.

Cambridge City FA Cup Run

Oxford City FA Cup Run

Cambridge City

GK - Richard Scrotington

DR - Damballah

DL - Mark Trevor

DC - Marky Mark

DC - Jack Browne

DMC - Max Power

AMC - James Salter

AMC - Jenkins Gunnhead

MR/AMR - Sercan Cali

ML/AML - Lawrence Lazewski

ST - Birdy da Costa

Oxford City

GK - Casii Uga Uga

DR - Tyler Burrows

DL - Jonathan

DC - Brucie Bonus

DC - Kalifa Quansah

DMC - Scott Tysoe

AMC - dafuge

MR/AMR - Ihsaan Ahmed

ML/AML - Mathias

FC - Robert Blowcrapup

ST - James Hulme

2008 Djibouti Best Eleven

2009 Djibouti Fixtures

Looking good, and what people must remember for the national team is that we are only 16 and our attributes aren't as high as they will be in a couple years, I am ok with the fact we aren't scoring a ton of goals, but we have also only given up one, which is very good.

I love the videos Loked, KUTGW

Really well done mate. It seems weird that all of my stats and positions point to me being a left sided player, But Oxford play me on the RIght......

Haven't done anything substantial as yet for the national team but I am sure my chance will come at somestage. KUTGW mate!

yeah started first international, would of been good to get a goal but o well, now need get back in to the team. Good i noticed im in the international first 11 tho so should get some appearences hopefully :)

Doing great for oxford 10 goals in 18 games looking great for the future, great cup run as well, first round being the aim and get a big team for sum cash :)

Match 3 - February 11th, 2009

Djibouti vs Gabon - Friendly

Lineups

It was a pretty frustrating first half as we failed to really take hold of the game, with Casii Uga forced to come up with a stellar save to keep things level going into half-time. Mathias forced a good save from their goalkeeper with our only shot on target after some good team play. We had a couple of excellent chances within a few minutes to take a first half lead, but neither dafuge or Birdy da Costa could get their header on target. We did have the ball in the net at one point, but Max Power's goal was ruled out for offside.

After being told to go out and prove a point during the half time team talk, Birdy da Costa obliged with an excellent shot from outside the area two minutes after the restart. We had a great chance to double our lead through a quick counter-attack soon after, but Sercan Cali couldn't get his effort on target. We came good a few minutes later though, after Max Power put Lawrence Lazewski through with a great ball to double the lead. Max Power would have added another were it not for a good save from their goalkeeper, but Damballah opened his goal scoring account in style with a beautiful curling shot to finish things off.

Post Match Analysis

Overview/Match Stats

Player Ratings

I didn't make as many substitutions as I had planned, but the team was playing well and I didn't want to disrupt things.

Match 4 - April 1st, 2009

Djibouti vs Burkina Faso - Friendly

Lineups

We took the lead inside 10 minutes after some good teamwork and a great shot from James Salter. Scott Tysoe doubled our lead from a free kick on 30 minutes, the first goal we have scored from a set piece. Tysoe added another near the end of the half, getting on the end of a well placed cross from Tyler Burrows.

I made two changes to start the second half, with Richard Scrotington going into goal and Sercan Cali replacing James Salter. The scores remained level for the opening 15 minutes of the half, although Burkina Faso were dictating play and had most of the chances. I was planning on replacing James Hulme at the hour mark, but he finally got his goal after another good cross from Tyler Burrows. They had a few more shots that were just off target, but they never looked like scoring. Scott Tysoe was forced off due to injury, but he was well worth his man of the match award.

Post Match Analysis

Overview/Match Stats

Player Ratings

Great performances all across the board.

Archived