FM2009 deserve 2.0 out of 10.0

About a week ago, someone posted the American IGN review of FM 09.......the game got a 2.0 out of 10, which was a stark contrast to the UK score of 9.1. Upon reading it, many forum users (myself included) flooded the comment section to complain about what we thought was a totally unfair review. Seems like IGN got the message.......see for yourselves....

http://pc.ign.com/objects/142/14270939.html

Good job guys!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad they recalled their review.

I saw something similar with a review of a new Sonic game at Gamespot where the reviewer gives a very low rating in great contrast to member ratings.

Not that I care about Sonic but it seems like the same story like with this 2.0 score is happening there.

Wonder if they will also crack under the pressure.

I'm very critical of the game and I feel a game should never be released in a state like this one was.. but the fact is that the reviewer in question did not seem to understand the purpose of a management game. It would've been like someone reviewing a Formula 1 game or something like Gran Turismo, complaining about the fact that he couldn't drive around as he saw fit, get out of the car to steal other cars and shoot people.

Anyone else reckon that Bangladesh are a touch overrated in the latest KM btw? They've won the last 6 Asian Indoor Games in mine. And what's with Harman Dhaliwal's 17 for Ankle Catching???????????

in my view its one of the many bugs that have littered the latest installment of KM. the codes in the manual may have well been written in marathi, they wouldn't have been any more difficult to understand. this effort is definatly more AKFI than KFI. poor effort

in my view its one of the many bugs that have littered the latest installment of KM. the codes in the manual may have well been written in marathi, they wouldn't have been any more difficult to understand. this effort is definatly more AKFI than KFI. poor effort

Packaging. Key codes. DRM. Customer Support etc.

All nothing to do with S.I.

I'm very critical of the game and I feel a game should never be released in a state like this one was.. but the fact is that the reviewer in question did not seem to understand the purpose of a management game. It would've been like someone reviewing a Formula 1 game or something like Gran Turismo, complaining about the fact that he couldn't drive around as he saw fit, get out of the car to steal other cars and shoot people.

Haha loving the analogy :)

• 2 weeks later...
And quite a fair review, it is. 7.9/10, highlighting the strengths and weakness of the (unpatched) title.

Indeed it is a fair and honest review of the game in its release form.

However, I find the absolute lack of mention of SI having already released 2 patches since release a bit disturbing. Some of the problems that the reviewer highlighted have been tackled by patch 9.1.0 as well as the latest 9.2.0.

"Unfortunately, the 3D engine is also lacking in many ways. For starters, it looks incredibly dated, as if it's using 15-year-old technology. The stadiums are simple gray polygons, and the pitch itself is little more than a muddled blob of green. When you couple that with no audio play-by-play and an invisible crowd that's rather subdued, you're missing out on much of what makes soccer such a fantastic and exciting sport to watch."

- Extract from IGN review

I agree that the 3D looks dated compared to the shimmer and gloss of the highly-polished graphics of other games. I agree the stadiums are bleak without the crowd and there is not a squeak of audio commentary.

But to say these are the things which make football "such a fantastic and exciting sport to watch" is a bit ludicrous. The action on the pitch is the single most compelling feature of football. Not the sight of the crowd in the stadiums, not the pundits commenting on the play-by-play. They are merely supporting acts to the great spectacle known as the 'Beautiful Game'.

Please continue giving me a great visual of the pitch action any day over crowd-rendering and audio commentary.

I must say, it's a bit of a mixed bag for me.

"When you couple that with no audio play-by-play" - this really annoys me. When people complain about there being no audio commentary. It just would not work. Of course there was audio commentary back in CM2, but it was very limited, and considering that there are now hundreds of thousands of potential player names (probably more if you include first names), the commentary would end up being even more rubbish, and would just end up with stuff like "he passes the ball out wide". "he cushions the ball". "He shoots!", and so on. I really, really disagree with people who complain about there being no audio commentary. I can agree on the poor quality of the crowd noises though. Some them almost sound robotic at times, and could do with a revamp (or even just recording more/new sounds).

I agree completely with their points in the first page's second-to-last paragraph. Those things really annoyed me too (though they have, thankfully, mostly been fixed in 9.2.0).

Edit: I started typing this right after SSGTroyer's comment, but then needed to go out. In response to Ediocy's comment about the patch, most reviews are generally reviews of the code as it is on release, as review code is usually sent out to the press before release date, though occasionally review code is sent out even before going gold. It is rare for reviewers to review games with patches, apart from in the case of MMOs.

• 2 weeks later...

she might had been a fanatic with it but held grudges over latest bug that kept it unplayable for over a month :)

you ever thouhgt that?

i would come up with the same tone if i had to review this specifficly fm 09.

As for comparing it with action football games i didn see this anywhere .... she said why someone would play football manager instead of some action football game....like basketball sucks why dont u try soccer?2 diffirent things but still why pick something not that much of pleasure giving (according to her).....

I suspect you reach the right conclusion for the wrong supporting reason. :D Speaking as an American, I think its more like ..

Part of football's charm to a Brit is the history: your father supported X FC, and took you to games when you were little, so you support X FC, even if they aren't in the top flight anymore .. you caln look back upon a rich tradition of a hundred years of sport, and have bought books detailing the lives of legends who retired before you were born, or especially the heroes who were prominent when you were seven or eight years of age. You and your friends played it in the streets or an empty field as youths, just for fun pick-up games. Its on the telly all the time. If you go to a pub during the season, the telly is showing a game, and there's somebody interested in it.

In other words, football is popular in part because football is popular. :)

What is often missing in this debate is .. we have all of that tradition and history surrounding American football and baseball; we're steeped in them from childhood in the same way; our cultural legends played different sports.

Those sports each stem from the mid- to late- 1800's, just as football does. However, from say 1860 to say 1980, there was such a firm technological divide between Europe and America that one's sport might as well not have existed to the other; there was no internet, there were few channels on television so those that were were devoted entirely to he most popular sports locally ..

Its exactly like regional dialects developing in language due to separation and difficulty of travel and communication between two regions.

What I've noticed in years as a sports fan is that most fans find "boring" a sport that they don't understand well. It takes being able to understand the strategy, see the individual chess matches, and appreciate the difficulty of technique for anybody to really deeply enjoy a sport.

If you're a child steeped in a football culture from a young age .. by the time you're fifteen, you have all of that ability to "see", and therefore appreciate, a football match. American children develop the same ability, with a different sport .. with whichever sport they adopted at a young age.

So, expecting the excellence of football to be obvious to Americans is as silly as Americans expecting the excellence of American football to be obvious to Europeans.

We have different traditions; this is a cultural difference, not a "take less easily to things that are popular elsewhere" thing.

Exactly. When I was younger I used to think "soccer" was boring (because of the reasons you mention) and really despised the sport. Now, largely thanks to FM, I am huge fan. It has probably become my favorite sport ahead of American football and baseball. I imagine that Football Manager has had that effect on many Americans...

Archived