FM24: Manchester United - Same old problems?

sedge11

Andre Onana's 'brutal' stats show just how bad Man Utd £47m flop has ...

Welcome to the Manchester United FM24 thread

So with the beta to drop anytime now, I decided to start the new thread.

Ten Hag's first season in charge was a good one, finishing 3rd in the league, winning the Carabao cup and getting to another final.

However this season has brought back the same old problems that the club has suffered with under the previous managers. Off the field problems such as the ownership, player problems like Sancho, Antony and Greenwood combined with injury issues has meant its been a very poor start to the season. 

Stadium: Old Trafford

Capactiy: 74,879

Training Facilities: Excellent

Youth Facilities: Superb

Junior Recruitment: Excellent

Youth Recruitment: Excellent

Finances: Okay

Transfer Budget: £6 mil in normal mode, £130 mil in your world

Media Prediction: 5th

Board End of Season objectives

Be competitive in the champions league

Qualify for the champions league

Reach the latter stages of the FA cup

New signings

Onana, Mount, Hojlund, Reguilon (Loan), Amrabat (Loan), Bayındır and Evans

A big summer with plenty of change. De Gea was disposed of and a new keeper in Onana was signed, Onana fits the style of play Ten Hag wants, though he's had a very poor start to the season. Hojlund comes in as the new striker and early signs are very promising with him, of course on FM23 he was very good, so will be exciting to develop him as the main man in FM24. Mount is a player Ten Hag clearly likes, however fitting him in the team with Bruno has been an issue early part of the season. The club were also actually able to sell a few players at decent prices as well with Henderson, Elanga and Fred all going for decent fees.

As always with Manchester United there is some great youth talent to pick from and develop, Ten Hag has been good with bringing these players through, getting them minutes and managing them well. The standouts being: Hannibal, Garnacho, Mainoo and Gore.

There are still alot of questions to be asked about this squad though. What will you do with Greenwood after his loan? Will you keep Maguire? Will the real life situations with Antony and Sancho affect how you use them?

There is also new modes to play this year. Normal mode, real world where transfers will go through on the exact date so Hojlund for example on 5th Aug. Your world where you can re do the summer yourself, you get 130 mil to spend, will you buy different players to Ten Hag, how would you shape the team?

Good luck guys, should be a good year on FM24. 

Edited by sedge11

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I'm here for this 😊

Seriously considering it as my first save this year. 

Good man :lol:. My first save will be Man Utd as well and it will start tonight. Plus I will finish updating the thread.

Lyon is going to be my main save this year though, just because of badly they are doing.

33 minutes ago, molemenacer said:

I'll be going again this year, lots of work to do.

Far too many players on the wrong side of 30

Wages out of control

As always though start the game in the real world with first window locked.  Going to be an interesting first season

Always enjoyed reading yours, so will look forward to that as well.

55 minutes ago, molemenacer said:

As always though start the game in the real world with first window locked.  Going to be an interesting first season

Same for me, whoever I go as. I will just be using the standard start, so you have the whole team at the start rather than them joining mid pre season. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Well I managed to get a very quick look around the Man Utd squad on the beta before having to leave for work.

Noticed that I had a 4 1/2 star potential Shea Lacey and isak hansen-aarøen, will be restarting the save again tomorrow hopefully if the FM24 name fix is out by then so will get to see if they’ve got fixed or random potentials

19 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

Well I managed to get a very quick look around the Man Utd squad on the beta before having to leave for work.

Noticed that I had a 4 1/2 star potential Shea Lacey and isak hansen-aarøen, will be restarting the save again tomorrow hopefully if the FM24 name fix is out by then so will get to see if they’ve got fixed or random potentials

Yeah the name fix is there, I’ve done it on mine.

2 hours ago, sedge11 said:

Always enjoyed reading yours, so will look forward to that as well.

Thanks, yours was always a good read as well

I noticed last year that you are a lot more restrained in the transfer market, the complete opposite of me!!!, it is always interesting to see how different ideas work out

1 hour ago, molemenacer said:

I don't think so, the data lock has already happened so the beta is pretty much as the full release will be i think

Yeah they tend to leave Beta as it is other than bugs that may need sorting 

3 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I can't remember, do the player attributes get updated for the full release?

Unless there's a glaring error (like a '2 when it should be 20' typo for example) then what you see now is almost certainly what will be in the release version.

8 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I can't remember, do the player attributes get updated for the full release?

yes.   not an overhaul, but there are some tweaks

This is based on my memory, which is almost certainly at least somewhat inaccurate. 

last season the ManUtd researcher (or a manutd) researched explained a littel bit "behind the curtain" in response to some of the views people (including me) had about specific players.  The thing I found most interesting is he said each club was given a total of CA points for the squad.  I dont know if that is changed from beta, but there definitely have been some player tweaks.  Remember 2 years ago  was it (?) Ronaldo got nerfed from beta to full release.  Last season Licha was a player who got a bump and several others on ManUtd.  There were many other tweaks in the overall database.  

45 minutes ago, DominicForza said:

yes.   not an overhaul, but there are some tweaks

This is based on my memory, which is almost certainly at least somewhat inaccurate. 

last season the ManUtd researcher (or a manutd) researched explained a littel bit "behind the curtain" in response to some of the views people (including me) had about specific players.  The thing I found most interesting is he said each club was given a total of CA points for the squad.  I dont know if that is changed from beta, but there definitely have been some player tweaks.  Remember 2 years ago  was it (?) Ronaldo got nerfed from beta to full release.  Last season Licha was a player who got a bump and several others on ManUtd.  There were many other tweaks in the overall database.  

Yeah, I thought I was going crazy. I could have swore changes were made last season and it was the United ones that were stuck in my mind also 👍🏻

13 hours ago, sedge11 said:

Yeah the name fix is there, I’ve done it on mine.

Cheers, I had a look this morning when I finished work (bloody night shifts on beta week!) and managed to get it and so started a new game with them.

So it seems that most of our Youth players have random potential values as Shea Lacey is now a 3 1/2 star potential player where as Mainoo has gone from a 2 star potential player in my original loaded save to either 4 1/2 - 5 star potential on the save made with the name fixes

20 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

Cheers, I had a look this morning when I finished work (bloody night shifts on beta week!) and managed to get it and so started a new game with them.

So it seems that most of our Youth players have random potential values as Shea Lacey is now a 3 1/2 star potential player where as Mainoo has gone from a 2 star potential player in my original loaded save to either 4 1/2 - 5 star potential on the save made with the name fixes

I had to restart as well with the name fix, which i have now done and my U18's look great

4 Star

Jayce Fitzgerald
Shea Lacey 

3.5 Star

Elyh Harrison
Jack Moorhouse
Finley McAllister
Habeeb Ogunneye

A real possibility of getting some through to the first team

I think I will go with a United save on the beta this weekend; I can also scout a lot of players / staff. As per usual will disable the transfer window, as I like to see what the squad is capable of.

59 minutes ago, roussos said:

Can someone show U18 Man Utd squad? I would appreciate Fitzgerald's profile too.

To be honest it’s kind of pointless as from the 2 different games I’ve loaded from scratch the u18s have different potentials 

So first post of my save.

I have started in the normal original mode, with the 1st transfer window disabled as I usually do.

So first we started with the staff, I noticed it wasn't showing the staff transfers so possibly a bug?

staffs1.thumb.png.8f50d9d5d74ea35e7b191f13cc294f5f.png

So here's my staff list. I got rid of both assistants and brought in Pablo Sanz who has great attributes. 2 new fitness coaches in Dupont and Hulse, Hugo Oliveira as a new GK coach and Lollichon as an extra coach.

I plan on using this 4-2-3-1 I created.

4-2-3-1.png.2d986cfc941b79f6e8929aee3eb0984d.png

We have been given a pretty tough start to the season with Newcastle, Liverpool and Man City in our first 5 games.

startofs1.png.ab9781eaf25b3c0ac123feb43602adae.png

My plan with the squad in this save is to focus on building the team around Mainoo, Garnacho, Hannibal, Gore and Hojlund. I want to get rid of some of the high earners, Varane and Casemiro will be phased out over the 1st 2 seasons while the likes of Sancho, Martial and Mount also at risk. Yes I'm not a fan of Mount so he will probably end up only being here for 1 season.

Then you have players like Van De Beek, Maguire, Lindelof and Eriksen all on big money, that could be moved on.

Also to note, Greenwood is set as leaving on a free at the end of his contract. However his contract will end at the end of season 3, so I will hopefully be able to cash in on him after his loan.

2 hours ago, roussos said:

Can someone show U18 Man Utd squad? I would appreciate Fitzgerald's profile too.

Here you go. However, I don't feel like there is any point posting youth players as their stats generate differently.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 21.09.14.png

So new game started, classic mode with transfers disabled in the first window as usual.

Spent the summer sorting out staff and now i am a lot happier, as with @sedge11 i cannot see staff transfers so probably a bug but lots of changes

image.thumb.png.3a91ef0c52cdac6351160878e5be4f87.png

August was good, tough opener against Arsenal but a hard fought win but September has been a disaster.

Newcastle game dominated the ball but gone done twice on the counter and our finishing was awful.  Thought is was a one off after a cracking 4-0 win over Brighton and a good 1-0 win in our first game if the CL.

Luton was a disaster, their 3 goals - 2 corners and a handball from a corner that got Casimero sent off for a second yellow after 33 minutes.

Brentford - Onana got injured so brought on Bayındır and then he got injured so Mount went in goal as had no subs left and they scored 30 seconds later.

Overall, injuries are killing me, i have not had less than 8 players out injured since the start of the season it seems to be a rotation 1 fit and then 1 injured constantly.  Hoping that when some of the longer term injuries clear up then i can get on top of player rotation.

Been changing between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 not sure which i like best.  I need my players back first i think to work out which is best.  I prefer a 4-3-3 but the first 4 games where a 4-2-3-1

1 hour ago, molemenacer said:

So new game started, classic mode with transfers disabled in the first window as usual.

Spent the summer sorting out staff and now i am a lot happier, as with @sedge11 i cannot see staff transfers so probably a bug but lots of changes

image.thumb.png.3a91ef0c52cdac6351160878e5be4f87.png

August was good, tough opener against Arsenal but a hard fought win but September has been a disaster.

Newcastle game dominated the ball but gone done twice on the counter and our finishing was awful.  Thought is was a one off after a cracking 4-0 win over Brighton and a good 1-0 win in our first game if the CL.

Luton was a disaster, their 3 goals - 2 corners and a handball from a corner that got Casimero sent off for a second yellow after 33 minutes.

Brentford - Onana got injured so brought on Bayındır and then he got injured so Mount went in goal as had no subs left and they scored 30 seconds later.

Overall, injuries are killing me, i have not had less than 8 players out injured since the start of the season it seems to be a rotation 1 fit and then 1 injured constantly.  Hoping that when some of the longer term injuries clear up then i can get on top of player rotation.

Been changing between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 not sure which i like best.  I need my players back first i think to work out which is best.  I prefer a 4-3-3 but the first 4 games where a 4-2-3-1

Having the same sort of issue, drew with city, beat arsenal, beat barca, got beat 4-0 by Burnley, 3-0 by Forest and 3-0 by palace. All away. Away form is absolutely shocking, trying to use a 433 and a 343 not really found the right balance yet.

Injuries shocking, had Onana out for the whole season so far and i am into November, Hojlund is in and out, same as a few others. 

Tough gig this one! £6m to spend too and nobody wants the players. Cannot wait to turn this one round to how i want.

10 hours ago, Barnsley said:

Having the same sort of issue, drew with city, beat arsenal, beat barca, got beat 4-0 by Burnley, 3-0 by Forest and 3-0 by palace. All away. Away form is absolutely shocking, trying to use a 433 and a 343 not really found the right balance yet.

Injuries shocking, had Onana out for the whole season so far and i am into November, Hojlund is in and out, same as a few others. 

Tough gig this one! £6m to spend too and nobody wants the players. Cannot wait to turn this one round to how i want.

It is definitely a challenge this year.  

going to be a fun one though

I’m using the Beta to browse and plan before I start the save after full release.

I’m planning on changing the staff a bit since I’m dreaming positively of a future with Ratclife and without the Glazers (eventually).

I’m going to sack McLaren and Mr Gaag for realism. Who are you bringing in as Assistant? I want to go the romantic route and get either Phelan or Solksjaer. Ruud and Jordi Criuyff both look great but neither want to join.

Also would love to get Paul Mitchell instead of Murtough, but he doesn’t want to come.

None of the Salford guys are possible to offer contracts to, I’m guessing since they’re also on the board?

Also playing with disable first window as always, so waiting until January to get rid off:

Maguire
Van de Beek
Sancho
Martial

That would free up a lot of cash with their salaries.

Def need a new CB (preferably someone who can play IFB) and a striker.
Todibo and Taremi/Toney feels best suited. Would also love a Ji-Sung Park type player at RW - any recommendations??

Before 24/25 I would also like to get rid of:

AWB
Lindelof
McTominay or Amrabat
Eriksen

From that I would get an upgrade on RB and another CB plus a young ball winning DM.

Casemiro and Varane would probably be for sale in summer 2024 if anyone gives decent money, otherwise they’ll play and be phased out 24/25, still really good characters.

Maybe something like this for 24/25:

Onana (SK)

Todibo (IFB) Varane (CD) Martinez (BPD) Shaw (WB)

Casemiro (DM) Mount (SV)

Antony (W) Bruno (AM) Rash (IF)

Hojlund (AF)

Bayindir
Dalot
New CB
Malacia
Mainoo
New DM
Hannibal
Garnacho
New Striker

Objectives season 1:

- Get rid of deadwood/bring down salaries
- Enchance the squad
- Qualiy for CL
- Give CL a go
- Win domestic cup

Objectives season 2:

- Get rid of deadwood/bring down salaries
- Enchance the squad 
- Give youth more chances 
- Qualify for CL
- Give CL a go
- Win domestic cup

Objectives season 3:

- Quality strength squad
- Challenge for title 
- Challenge for all cups

Objectives season 4:

- Continue to quality strength the squad
- Win title
- Challenge for all cups

Objectives season 5:

- Fin tune squad 
- Defend the title
- Challenge for all cups

4 hours ago, Stevmon said:

Also playing with disable first window as always, so waiting until January to get rid off:

Maguire
Van de Beek
Sancho
Martial

That would free up a lot of cash with their salaries.

Def need a new CB (preferably someone who can play IFB) and a striker.
Todibo and Taremi/Toney feels best suited. Would also love a Ji-Sung Park type player at RW - any recommendations??

Before 24/25 I would also like to get rid of:

AWB
Lindelof
McTominay or Amrabat
Eriksen

From that I would get an upgrade on RB and another CB plus a young ball winning DM.

I managed to sell off Lindelof and Maguire on deadline day for £15m and £20m respectively and brought in Scalvini for £30m up front and add ons for a total of £75m but he’s on £89k a week so overall it’s a better long term investment

So a turn around in the next three

image.thumb.png.4094a87386d1ba6a35eb5cda34e58167.png

Although the home results against Bayern and Liverpool are great the 3-1 win against an Everton side that has started well was better for me.

A change of approach in the tactic as well, went back to the drawing board and wanted to try the new roles if i could

image.png.6a2b2bbd8253432e93af66c37bd361a7.png

I wanted to get another player nearer my AF but wanted to keep myself from getting countered. 

The thinking is that Antony keeps the width on the right and Shaw pushes up on the left with Rashford playing close to Hojlund.  Defensively Martinez and Wan-Bissaka sit back with Casemiro and Varane ahead so a box in defence which seems to allow me to keep the pressure and attacks on.

Not 100% sure on the midfield 3 yet, have had Casemiro as a DM(D), DLP(D) and a DLP(S), Mount is a BBM, Fernandes i have used as a Mezzala, playmaker but a CM(A) worked well against Liverpool and was good in FM23 so i think this is my tactic for now.

Onana as a SK(AT) is a risk but apart from once against Liverpool it seems to be good so will stick with it for now.

Due to the structure of the side i have used the Be More Disciplined instruction for the first time as well.

Edited by molemenacer

So I've got to January now. It's been a tough season so far and we sit 5th in the league. 4 points off Newcastle in 4th.

Just not scoring enough goals now. Hojlund and Rashford both struggling for goals.

However the Saudi's have now come in for Varane.

Varaneoffers.png.f279360b856d4cf517959595b9c7da24.png

I can negotiate both of these up to 60-65 mil up front, which is a ridiculous amount of money for Varane.

Now I don't really want to sell him yet but that is alot of money to turn down. Maguire has also actually been very good for me so no issues on depth.

Replacement wise I am looking at Guehi and Antonio Silva. But do I sell now? 

47 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

So I've got to January now. It's been a tough season so far and we sit 5th in the league. 4 points off Newcastle in 4th.

Just not scoring enough goals now. Hojlund and Rashford both struggling for goals.

I can negotiate both of these up to 60-65 mil up front, which is a ridiculous amount of money for Varane.

Now I don't really want to sell him yet but that is alot of money to turn down. Maguire has also actually been very good for me so no issues on depth.

That's a no brainer for that kind of money, he is also on massive wages.

4 hours ago, sedge11 said:

For a fee like that and to get rid of the salary you kind of have to… if you could get them to take him after the season instead then that would be perfect.

I know most if not all of you would accept it, but I have decided to keep Varane for now.

It would of been nice to get rid of the wages and get in 60-70 mil which is silly money for Varane really. But the board had only gave me 1 mil to spend in January, so I can't get in who I want to replace him even after selling, plus Varane has been our best defender so far.

If they come in again at the end of the season I will sell, but I just don't like the idea of selling one of my best players half way through the season.

So when anyone else gets to January, if you get the same offers, just know you can negotiate the fee to upwards of 70 mil maybe more. 

1 minute ago, Matty89 said:

What's everyone's plan for greenwood I ain't got the game but I heard he is in it this year

He is in it yes. He’s been set to leave at the end of his contract. 

But I will try and cash in and get a little bit of money for him.

7 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

He is in it yes. He’s been set to leave at the end of his contract. 

But I will try and cash in and get a little bit of money for him.

Ah ok was thinking contract wise what he was on i take it he has been destroyed stats wise 

10 minutes ago, Matty89 said:

Ah ok was thinking contract wise what he was on i take it he has been destroyed stats wise 

Here is his stats. I can't remember what he was like before, but he looks like its stats are similar to what he was.

mason.thumb.png.6d5003e876aa9f64b4794c5e34c2045e.png