Will Football Manager ever do what OOTP baseball does??

And have historical simulations? Would be good to create a save where you can start in the 1980s or even further back. "Retro Football Boss" tried to do this with the English League but was never really finished. 

I know its not much of a "Sell" to the new crowd but it would be a nice feature. 

What do you think?  

I don't think so because in a recent interview Miles was asked a similar question and he said the beauty of football manager is that you don't know the future of the players from the day you start your save so he doesn't think it would be fin to do what you asked because we already know where those players ended up. 

That's basically a brief summary of what he said 

1 hour ago, oche balboa said:

And have historical simulations? Would be good to create a save where you can start in the 1980s or even further back. "Retro Football Boss" tried to do this with the English League but was never really finished. 

I know its not much of a "Sell" to the new crowd but it would be a nice feature. 

What do you think?  

There are retro databases out there for that :)

2 hours ago, oche balboa said:

What do you think?  

I think I've read somewhere that would be license hell too. After all they can't even legally sell the game on Steam after the new game is released due to it...

I think the best we can hope for is doing it ourselves. Would be a nice feature to change the start dates easily within the game. I think it is possible to have custom start dates, maybe I've made that up but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned!

In theory, you could set about the mammoth task of creating a retro database world. Take the old first division for example, with the 22 team league. You could put an end date on it, and then have a start date for the 20 team Premier League starting. Take the idea further, you could have the World Cups set up , with the formats of the time changing each word cup to the present day. Has to be possible but such an enormous task. It would be like @Wolf_pd's Iron Curtain, a full time job to do. 

Regarding historical licenses, I think it's ridiculous that games have to be removed from steam due to license problems. I have bought games on cd in the past, (and upgraded my own pc several times), that I now could not play because support on steam has been removed. These football clubs should see these for what they are ... Games 🤬

56 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Regarding historical licenses, I think it's ridiculous that games have to be removed from steam due to license problems. I have bought games on cd in the past, (and upgraded my own pc several times), that I now could not play because support on steam has been removed. These football clubs should see these for what they are ... Games 🤬

Think you are preaching to the choir here, mate. Really doubt SI like how it is either...

18 minutes ago, XaW said:

Think you are preaching to the choir here, mate. Really doubt SI like how it is either...

Oh yeah fully aware we're all on the same side. Just in case any football club representatives are reading this, sort yourselves out chaps :herman:

Pretty sure licence issues are the problem there.

I'd absolutely love it if they did do historical seasons. TBH they wouldn't even need licences etc., just let us changes start dates in the editor and it wouldn't be long before you had fan created historic databases.

15 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I think the best we can hope for is doing it ourselves. Would be a nice feature to change the start dates easily within the game. I think it is possible to have custom start dates, maybe I've made that up but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned!

In theory, you could set about the mammoth task of creating a retro database world. Take the old first division for example, with the 22 team league. You could put an end date on it, and then have a start date for the 20 team Premier League starting. Take the idea further, you could have the World Cups set up , with the formats of the time changing each word cup to the present day. Has to be possible but such an enormous task. It would be like @Wolf_pd's Iron Curtain, a full time job to do. 

Should be a better way so it will not take a long time like what Wolf is doing. The man deserves a medal for the amount of work he has put in 

19 hours ago, Lord Rowell said:

There are retro databases out there for that :)

I'd love to play a retro database, but the only thing that holds me back is the inability of these databases to change the starting year. Minor thing, but it kills the immersion for me at least having Alan Shearer born in 2004...a lot of other sim games seem to have worked it out, but for whatever reason it seems locked in FM.

The order of the fixtures in the Premier League is licensed, and thus you have to actually hand over money to the Premier League to be able to use them.  The ordering.  Of fixtures.  

In a world where that's the case, there's going to be vanishingly little chance of something as niche* as this ever being allowed.  You're then working with old versions of competitions that governing bodies may not really like you bringing up, and now this new raft of players who will probably all ask for some kind of compensation to use their license either individually or through some shadowy FIFPro style organisation.  If it's even allowed at all.

* by niche, I'm not saying no-one would be interested.  The existence and popularity of the custom dbs people make prove that not to be the case.  But given the absolutely enormous outlay it would make - both financially and in pure work - it would need to be something that brought in a ton more engagement or new users.  I'm not convinced there's many features out there that could do the latter, let alone something that a lot of the community wouldn't really care about.

Sure I know we can't talk about licensing because it is a rule of the forums, but...

The key here is that OOTP has to license MLB, which most likely involves everything that belongs to the MLB brand, including past seasons. However, football is a different beast It has many moving parts and different licenses (there are licenses for the individual clubs, the leagues, the players, and organizations. Having UEFA licensing doesn't mean you have Juve licensing or any club that participates in the competitions.

Edited by grade

1 minute ago, grade said:

Sure I know we can't talk about licensing because it is a rule of the forums, but...

The key here is that OOTP has to license MLB, which most likely involves everything that belongs to the MLB brand, including past seasons. However, football is a different beast It has many moving parts and different licenses (there are licenses for the individual clubs, the leagues, the players, and organizations. Having UEFA licensing doesn't mean you have Juve licensing or any club that participates in the competitions.

Talking about licenses in general is fine, but nothing around circumventing them. That's what we cannot do.

But yes, licensing in football is stupid, as I think just about everyone agrees on (some clubs, FA's, people, and lawyers in general excluded).