The FM World Cup 2022 in Qatar Tactic Thread

4 dakika önce, Jyuan83 said:

Ya i saw it👍what i was trying to say is there anyway to get the IF not to track back at all like what mbappe did?

AFA offset to left and the PI "stay wider" is what I'd do.

Edited by frukox

5 minutes ago, Jyuan83 said:

Ya i saw it👍what i was trying to say is there anyway to get the IF not to track back at all like what mbappe did?

IF on Attack should hang forward a little more and be less keen to track back, he probably will track back though, you could experiment with Team Mentality (ie upping it so it's ups his mentality) or try having him man mark a full back. Last resort would be to play him upfront which I think he did for a bit last night  

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

IF on Attack should hang forward a little more and be less keen to track back, he probably will track back though, you could experiment with Team Mentality (ie upping it so it's ups his mentality) or try having him man mark a full back. Last resort would be to play him upfront which I think he did for a bit last night  

You could even have him as an IF(a) man marking the nearest centre back. On a side note, that can be an effective way of taking advantage of a clear pace mismatch in transitions. Mbappe hanging out near Maguire for example...

1 saat önce, vrig said:

You could even have him as an IF(a) man marking the nearest centre back. On a side note, that can be an effective way of taking advantage of a clear pace mismatch in transitions. Mbappe hanging out near Maguire for example...

Really interesting, never thought about this:idiot:

I think England last night showed a nice little lesson that applies to FM. That first half hour when we were playing out from the back, all slow and safe, then Senegal kept snapping at us and forcing mistakes. After that dicey half hour we started playing with a bit more tempo and I won't say direct, but less short to beat the press, Senegal backed off a bit then (the goal helped too) Applies in FM too, if you're getting harried and can't get out your defensive third, look to play a bit quicker and with more direct passing so you don't end up penned back  

On 05/12/2022 at 19:02, vrig said:

You could even have him as an IF(a) man marking the nearest centre back. On a side note, that can be an effective way of taking advantage of a clear pace mismatch in transitions. Mbappe hanging out near Maguire 

Awesome idea, specific marking by position of the closest centre-back produces exactly the kind of mbappe movement i want👍 Looks really good in the matches i tried it in. Lots of goals too, much more than the striker all the time, not that i am complaining lol.

42 minutes ago, gunnerfan said:

I've been hoping someone would post a version of Morocco's. Their discipline on defense is amazing. Here's my initial take. Comments appreciated.
576203465_2022-12-10(2).png.f362aab10431d381f467629b84fdc685.png

image.png.94dc635578b3b6c247ff4f8801b214f6.png

Perhaps something like this at the start of the game? Not sure about the midfield since I was more focused on Portugal.

The second half is hard to analyze because they spend most of the time defending and they change their formation but I doubt all this defend duties would work, I would rather lower the mentality but keep some balance in terms of roles and duties. 

25 minutes ago, sonnevillejr said:

Perhaps something like this at the start of the game? Not sure about the midfield since I was more focused on Portugal.

The second half is hard to analyze because they spend most of the time defending and they change their formation but I doubt all this defend duties would work, I would rather lower the mentality but keep some balance in terms of roles and duties. 

Well, they've made it to the WC semifinals, so clearly it works IRL. The thing is, it works in part because of the chemistry among the Moroccan players. I suspect that in FM, team chemistry is represented by "team cohesion", and it would probably take a long run of play to reach that level, and one might not ever get there if the side continually lost. Might be interesting to use when significantly overmatched, though.

This world cup has shown with morocco, japan, south korea and saudi arabia that low-mid blocks with vertical counter attacks are lethal. This is all reflected in the current FM23 match engine, so kudos to the developers for doing their research to accurately represent the real world metagame.

Edited by Jyuan83

On 25/11/2022 at 10:41, _mxrky said:

always find it funny when people complain low blocks don't work on fm. If the the world cup is anything to go by it doesn't work irl either. At least not anymore or without getting pretty lucky

Morocco?

1 hour ago, _mxrky said:

International football is different to club football.  Hardly any international team actually presses well

Probably because international teams don't train together over extended periods of time. They are, in effect, all-star teams for each nation. I'm reminded of Herb Brooks, coach of the USA hockey team that won the gold medal in 1980. He pointed out that all-star teams fail because they rely solely on the talent of the individual players. The great Soviet teams were so good because they were talented AND they trained together for eleven months out of the year. Team USA, 1980, trained together for several months before the Olympics in a system modeled after the Soviet system. 

In this WC, Costa Rica tried playing a low block system against Spain, but they were passive and lacked the ability to adjust when Spain made their attacking thrusts. Morocco was far more aggressive in pressing once Spain made attacking moves. Also, neither Spain nor Portugal was able to move to a more direct attack. It will be interesting to see if Argentina can. Again, the level of discipline Morocco has been able to achieve on a part-time basis is truly amazing.

2 hours ago, De Nile said:

Is the Morocco team in this WC 2022 comparable to the Greece of Euro '04 team (in terms of playstyle)?

I definitely wouldn't say so. Based on what I can remember, that Greece team basically had 3/4 dedicated man-markers, a sweeper behind them and two targetmen to lump it up to.

Morocco have been compressing space as much as humanly possible. In attack they tend to get the ball to the wide players to get them in 1v1s against defenders to create something.