[FM23] 5TATMAN (Version 5.0 - Updated 17.09.23)

_Ben_

A few things I've been looking at, potentially to make a public release...

I've been building on my use of the Analyst report, I've created the things below. The rationale is that, statistically, a manager (thinking as realistically as possible) may be drawn to a player who is deemed to be good at doing something over the course of the season. This will now show as a star on the player profile to indicate they're in the top 10% of players in the data I gathered initially. I have then taken the move to hide all the other stats from non-human players:

1e4d87e9bf8a8b92a330ab212be95895.png

For reference, a human profile looks like this.

I am able to ascertain a good amount about Tibo Persyn, for example. He's quick, got a good engine, not amazing technically, but quite good mentally and is performing ok in the Turkish Super Lig in terms of his overall performance. However, digging deeper (middle bar), I can see that he's actually dribbling really well, sprinting a lot and creating a lot of chances for his team mates, although his five assists, pretty much matching his xA, tells me that the chances aren't really high xG ones. I can also see that he does well defending from the front with  a lot of interceptions.

This then makes it even more imperative I get a full scout and analyst report before I sign him. At present, it's only the analyst report that changes things but I may look at developing the scout report to show a midway between this screen and the human screen. The Analyst report panel has a long way to go but it now shows all of the stats that I wouldn't previously be able to see...

c4e930f974caa9ad9197d1c6d2642a0f.png

It then further adds context to the stats that are displayed to the right.

---

Would love to know if people would like this kind of thing?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From a realism standpoint, I don't think hiding the stats on the player profile is a good idea.  Raw stats are, for the most part, public information and that's what is displayed on the main player profile.  It should be the analyst's job to interpret those stats into how the player would perform.  Maybe SI needs to develop the analyst role further into providing more statistical analysis.  But given the current restraints on the analyst role, I think keeping the raw stats on the player profile is the best move.  But it should be just that, the raw stats (no rankings, no percentiles, etc.).

I hope that makes sense.

41 minutes ago, Marinho said:

Am i missing it or is there no way to see the country knowledge of scouts? Other than that my hat's off for the skin.

29d239de9b509c87c8b7bb04ba623aae.png

Top left? Please let me know if you can't see that on yours!

52 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

From a realism standpoint, I don't think hiding the stats on the player profile is a good idea.  Raw stats are, for the most part, public information and that's what is displayed on the main player profile.  It should be the analyst's job to interpret those stats into how the player would perform.  Maybe SI needs to develop the analyst role further into providing more statistical analysis.  But given the current restraints on the analyst role, I think keeping the raw stats on the player profile is the best move.  But it should be just that, the raw stats (no rankings, no percentiles, etc.).

I hope that makes sense.

A really interesting point you've made here and one I absolutely appreciate.

My initial thoughts were about coming at it in the opposite way, in order to make that use of the analysis. You go on Twitter or see a match on TV and think 'oooh, that player carried the ball well' and that'd be represented on the initial chart as a gold star for dribbles. But, by digging into FBREF or similar, you'd find out that actually he dribbles like that regularly and he's in the top 10% of all wingers across Europe. I know that the former is essentially the role of an attribute but I'm trying to think outside the box here!

Just the stats would return the look to this:

29f70f2670e6750e5e8e4bc4460fa845.png

Now, the job of the analyst is essentially redundant here as the icons are static for all players but it does add that level of, 'ooh just how good is 74% xyz stat?' which would then be uncovered once I've scouted and analysed fully...

Edited by _Ben_

This is how I look the statistics:

On the player profile page - there should be stats which are basically public information....stats I can find in the newspaper or from the team website - I used to work in US college sports information.  One of our jobs was to keep the stats from every match in every sport.  We were the data compliers and made the data available for public consumption.  Here's an example:

https://dxbhsrqyrr690.cloudfront.net/sidearm.nextgen.sites/bluehens.com/stats/mbball/2022/pdf/cume.pdf

Now, this provides someone with some basic info about the player(s).

This is where the analyst comes in:

Their job is to analyze this data, create a report on the players based on this data, and present this report to the manager.  When I traveled with teams, I would see student managers, who doubled as data analysts, create these reports on the fly during a match, (sports information (for some sports) would provide in-game stats to the media and both teams) and give them to the coaching staff.

I think I'd like to see role of the data analyst changed and provide more detailed reports on the data that they have complied from publicly available sources. 

We could be saying the same thing but from different viewpoints.  That's what this game so good.

10 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

This is how I look the statistics:

On the player profile page - there should be stats which are basically public information....stats I can find in the newspaper or from the team website - I used to work in US college sports information.  One of our jobs was to keep the stats from every match in every sport.  We were the data compliers and made the data available for public consumption.  Here's an example:

https://dxbhsrqyrr690.cloudfront.net/sidearm.nextgen.sites/bluehens.com/stats/mbball/2022/pdf/cume.pdf

Now, this provides someone with some basic info about the player(s).

This is where the analyst comes in:

Their job is to analyze this data, create a report on the players based on this data, and present this report to the manager.  When I traveled with teams, I would see student managers, who doubled as data analysts, create these reports on the fly during a match, (sports information (for some sports) would provide in-game stats to the media and both teams) and give them to the coaching staff.

I think I'd like to see role of the data analyst changed and provide more detailed reports on the data that they have complied from publicly available sources. 

We could be saying the same thing but from different viewpoints.  That's what this game so good.

Again - it’s a great take and I’m certainly interested in hearing about your working past!

I think we’re looking at it in maybe different ways. I’m kind of seeing it as these are the ‘areas picked out by the analyst, visualised in a different (but coherent elsewhere in the skin) way to the polygon.’ Then, it’s my job to take on those key areas and dig in much further, which would tell me how they stack up against other players, for example. 

Maybe, then, the stats for a non-human controlled player on the profile are simplified. Chance created - within a coloured icon - sits on the profile and I’d need to scout/analyse to see progressive passes/key passes/xA - for example. 

—-

My initial thoughts were to keep this for the ‘personal’ element of the skin but I do really value the conversation around it. 

Edited by _Ben_

I spent five years, in the late 90's/early 2000s working in US college sports information at various levels.  I provided stats for a variety of sports.  Everything from US football, which got a lot of coverage, to swimming, which got almost zero coverage.  The program that the college used for stats, unfortunately, closed down at the end of 2022.  

https://www.statcrew.com/index.html

This program allowed us to enter match stats, in real time, and provide those stats to both teams and the media.  Some sports were easier than others.  Basically, if the sport had a lot of downtime between game actions, entering the stats was easy.  Baseball/softball was the easiest and could be done with just one person.  US football was the next easiest and required only a couple of people.  Same with European football and field hockey - those sports we had one person keep track of the stats for each team.  Sports like basketball and volleyball were the hardest because there was very little downtime between plays.  Those sports had multiple people watching each team and relaying the game action to central person who would enter the stats into a computer.

For basketball, we would run the stats from the printer to both team benches and any media who did not have a computer synced to the stats computer.

I worked as the primary sports information contact for the University of Delaware men's basketball team for the 1998-99 season.  On the in-game stats side, I had to make sure that we had people there to enter the stats and people, usually myself, to run the stats to the benches and media.  At halftime, when I was in the home locker room, I would see the student managers and coaches quickly breakdown these stats and make adjustments to their game plan on the fly.  On non-game days, I would be the point person for the media to contact to schedule interviews with coaches and players (the coaches weekly radio show - fell on my boss's shoulders).  The best interview, I got to hear was the team's three players from Senegal give an interview to one of the national newspapers in Senegal.  The interview conducted in a combination of English, French, and Senegalese.  My boss asks me how the interview went.  My response was, "Good....I think.  My French is good but not rapid fire interview good." :lol:

Also on non-game days, I would give the coaches and student managers, the statistics for the upcoming opposition.  When we were at home, I didn't get to see much of the match scouting report get put together since I had other minor sports to cover as well.  But on the road, I roomed with one of the assistant coaches and he would watch past matches in the hotel room and put together his scouting report for his position group (one assistant watched the guards and the other watched the forwards and centers).  From time to time, he would ask for my input on the scouting report.

I can see the viewpoint that you are coming from to create the skin.  I think the icons for the non-player controlled teams is a good idea.  A manager would have the "newspaper stats" for those players but not know how those stats matchup against his own players (easy to do), within the team's league (also fairly easy to do but requires a little more analysis) or across leagues of similar reputation (harder to do and requires a lot of analysis).

7 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

I can see the viewpoint that you are coming from to create the skin.  I think the icons for the non-player controlled teams is a good idea.  A manager would have the "newspaper stats" for those players but not know how those stats matchup against his own players (easy to do), within the team's league (also fairly easy to do but requires a little more analysis) or across leagues of similar reputation (harder to do and requires a lot of analysis).

So I guess that officially makes you the…Statman! What an awesome job!

I think you have actually hit the nail on the head with my intention here and ‘newspaper stats’ is a great way to title that!

I’ve slightly tweaked to add in two colours that match the skin and a dashed line for nothing - at all or ‘no standout:’

image.thumb.png.8e4d4f5531775e96cbcd4f9a5b56eee3.png

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, guku said:

Hi friends, is there a way to make the attribute circles more ambiguous than it is? love this skin btw

Yes. You’ll need to change the class for each attribute (can be a mass find/replace) from attribute_bars to something else: attribute_circles are used in the skin and are smaller and change size every 4 or 5 attributes. If this is what you want, let me know, and I will walk you through that process in more detail when I’m in front of the game. 

13 hours ago, guku said:

Hi friends, is there a way to make the attribute circles more ambiguous than it is? love this skin btw

I am using it like this. In the Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2023\skins\Statman\graphics\tcs\icons folder ther are folders named like attribute bar and attribute circles. You can make it more ambiguous by some copy/paste work in PNG files included in these folders. Also you can change ranges of low-normal-good-excellent attributes by some small changes in XML files in these folders.

Version 3 is now out!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6ac9wz9ll9f4zpq/Statman+v3.0.rar/file

Changes include:

---

Notes.

• If you are stuck with non-human profiles, there are two hidden selectors. Change them once and they should stay stuck forever more!

33d18709b85594af604ca4a4882798fd.png

Bottom

e8f8ba56edb91c9b29d5774e67a86392.png

---

Please feedback any issues you find! Thanks and enjoy.

• _Ben_ changed the title to [FM23] Statman v3.0 - Updated 16/03/2023
46 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

The bottom panel of the player profile looks nothing like your bottom panel.  Everything is squished down.

7e9de576bf05eca2c13ae18101924419.png

The top and middle panels look fine but the bottom panel is compressed and I can't see all the details

I’m still working, unfortunately, on a lot of fixed size containers that means things don’t fit. Over time, I will try and amend as much as I can to create panels that are more flexible with different, high, resolutions but now it’s just not there. 

12 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I’m still working, unfortunately, on a lot of fixed size containers that means things don’t fit. Over time, I will try and amend as much as I can to create panels that are more flexible with different, high, resolutions but now it’s just not there. 

Or I could buy a bigger laptop monitor....:lol:

7 hours ago, deniz said:

I am using it like this. In the Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2023\skins\Statman\graphics\tcs\icons folder ther are folders named like attribute bar and attribute circles. You can make it more ambiguous by some copy/paste work in PNG files included in these folders. Also you can change ranges of low-normal-good-excellent attributes by some small changes in XML files in these folders.

11 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Yes. You’ll need to change the class for each attribute (can be a mass find/replace) from attribute_bars to something else: attribute_circles are used in the skin and are smaller and change size every 4 or 5 attributes. If this is what you want, let me know, and I will walk you through that process in more detail when I’m in front of the game. 

Thanks guys got it to work.

image.png.e0127b5ef9ef12baff83ee870af38071.png

Can you guess this player :) ?

On 16/03/2023 at 21:09, _Ben_ said:

Hey! Could we simply change or remove that particular item to another bit of info? or keep only the ass man opionin of position/role only removing the comp stat comparison hexagon?

1 hour ago, JR866Gunner said:

Hey! Could we simply change or remove that particular item to another bit of info? or keep only the ass man opionin of position/role only removing the comp stat comparison hexagon?

Sorry - you've lost me! What do you mean here?

13 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Sorry - you've lost me! What do you mean here?

Oh sorry, I confuse myself sometimes. So bottom left there’s a graphic that shows my players stats compared to the league I’m in and that has overlapping text and is scrunched up and cramped. 

was hoping to remove that perhaps and replace it with something else. Hoping I’ve explained it better! 😂

I quoted someone’s post above with the image of the same thing happening to me.

Edited by JR866Gunner

The next evolution of this includes some FBREF styled metric bars that are fully useable for the human manager, behind a hidden tabbed container on the main profile. Right now, they compare your player to either defenders, midfielders or forwards but I will look to expand that further. You can see the hidden tab in the top left that is currently white as the mouse was over it for the screenshot. There are three further ones above the metrics that you may just be able to see. This is intentional as to not take away from the messages here.

4e57b34601bc12bf2873fd596bd19630.png

To continue the realism theme, you cannot see this on a non-human owned player. You'll need to get both an analyst report and scout report to identify the key information:

Profile:

acd02f8c3c27669539ba1c0f3b5d91ae.png

---

Analyst report:

63b5a596c0b9adfa4475f83ec5c59db5.png

---

Scout Report:

d44d7efe9493d4dea69e19ba8763b835.png

Edited by _Ben_

1 minute ago, bluestillidie00 said:

Can't wait to give this update a go! You're coming on leaps and bounds

Thank you. Appreciate the kind words from the person who got me into skinning! I chat with @GIMN a lot and share ideas and I showed him how far I'd come with skinning. Below is the first time I ever had edited a skin - one of your TCS ones:

ca957f42ba04d1a81dc50d607f2dfc0a.png

Then this is where I left FM22:

dca0d10998533b1cc96f6dae8917ed75.png

And now, you can see where I am.

The process has changed how I play the game. I have learnt that I can't please everyone and I that making a skin that works in different languages and on different resolutions is not what I want to be, selfishly, using my time to do. I know that there is still plenty to learn and plenty that I want to achieve with this - so here's hoping FM24 doesn't come with a re-designed UI!!

10 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

so here's hoping FM24 doesn't come with a re-designed UI!!

8 minutes ago, GIMN said:

The fear is real!

Heavily disagree, change breeds improvement, UI redesign means you need to adapt and learn new things. The moment you settle you stop learning ;)

Hi everyone. First of all, thank you _Ben_ for the amazing work done with the skin (I loved it).

Anyway, I want to ask if anyone else has hidden stats for their own players. I don't know why, every one of my own players has 1 or more hidden stats. 

image.png.9d641ba192bef74300b1ee932340d423.png

Do you know how to fix this?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Krispo said:

Hi everyone. First of all, thank you _Ben_ for the amazing work done with the skin (I loved it).

Anyway, I want to ask if anyone else has hidden stats for their own players. I don't know why, every one of my own players has 1 or more hidden stats. 

image.png.9d641ba192bef74300b1ee932340d423.png

Thank you!

i believe theyre hidden if they're under a certain attribute 

as for fixing it, that's one for ben

8 hours ago, Krispo said:

Thank you!

Absolutely intentional. You can fix it through skin preferences in settings - Gold.xml.

<!-- Profile attribute colours -->
	<colour name="low attribute" 							value="rgba(35,40,52,0)"/>
	<colour name="normal attribute" 						value="rgba(135,206,250,50)"/>
	<colour name="good attribute" 							value="rgba(25,118,210,120)" />
	<colour name="excellent attribute" 						value="rgba(251,192,45,255)" />

That rbg is the same as my 'bg lighter' but you can make it whatever you want it to be.

4 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Absolutely intentional. You can fix it through skin preferences in settings - Gold.xml.

<!-- Profile attribute colours -->
	<colour name="low attribute" 							value="rgba(35,40,52,0)"/>
	<colour name="normal attribute" 						value="rgba(135,206,250,50)"/>
	<colour name="good attribute" 							value="rgba(25,118,210,120)" />
	<colour name="excellent attribute" 						value="rgba(251,192,45,255)" />

That rbg is the same as my 'bg lighter' but you can make it whatever you want it to be.

Thank you for the answer! Although, I tried what you mention, changing the color (then reload skin and clear caché), but it remains the same.... :(

2 hours ago, danielgear said:

@_Ben_ shared your skin with someone and they love it but they’d like to tweak the font style. 

Is it possible for me to edit that for him? 

Yes. If you delete the fonts folder, you'll revert to the original game fonts:

8075ba0c06018ab50d635db154ce9b02.png

If you want to go further, you'll have to go into each file in there and change it. I'd suggest starting with text, label and title because that covers most of what I use.

44 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Yes. If you delete the fonts folder, you'll revert to the original game fonts:

8075ba0c06018ab50d635db154ce9b02.png

If you want to go further, you'll have to go into each file in there and change it. I'd suggest starting with text, label and title because that covers most of what I use.

which xml file includes the attributes font

6 minutes ago, 01revenge said:

which xml file includes the attributes font

For the names of them?

<widget class="label" alignment="left,centre_y,can_scale" colour="white">
                              <translation id="text" type="use" value="Concentration" />
                            </widget>

You'll want to edit fonts/label.xml

@_Ben_, Love the skin, very original. Tell me this... What club overview panel relates to the Key People in this picture? I just can't seem to locate the correct xml for it. I want to adjust the height so the faces are shown. This view is on 100% but I get the same image on the other zoom options as well. Resolution is 1920 x 1080.

statman nation profile page.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2023 at 21:19, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

@_Ben_, Love the skin, very original. Tell me this... What club overview panel relates to the Key People in this picture? I just can't seem to locate the correct xml for it. I want to adjust the height so the faces are shown. This view is on 100% but I get the same image on the other zoom options as well. Resolution is 1920 x 1080.

statman nation profile page.jpg

Yeah I notice that problem and then always forget to fix it. I'm not sure what the problem is but I imagine it's because I've used that panel on the team overview, but displayed horizontally with bigger faces, which is why this no longer fits. I very rarely look at that panel but it looks a mess so will get something sorted to fix that - probably renaming the panel used on the club overview so that this returns to normal.

EDIT: That was easy!

245764603de7f2af00897c646945b563.png

Edited by _Ben_

A new update (no ETA on this yet) will be coming and I've been tidying up a few things. Here is the post from the show your skin thread:

---

Human Player:

This is the landing screen - reworked to hopefully work much better at lower resolutions.

c7a4077ebfe7e46a595cedf14c168343.png

Then you can dig into the pizza chart, made by the wonderful @GIMN:

65dc3b3eeffca085361ad71e3b332fe9.png

And my own take on those metrics, in the style of FBREF:

dfc0593b2c7fad0f0b42d3bbff473367.png

This bit is still a WIP but then you can see a bit about the personal info:

aa7ba1575d3c47b0a8d5fe0d0883aabb.png

Non-human managed player:

This is the landing screen with the purpose that you're never going to know everything about a player before you sign them:

a8d353d66bc98fab1bcb6a2ca51fe92a.png

You are only informed of a player's statistical output if they are above the 75th percentile (blue) or 90th percentile (gold) and you only can see a handful of their attributes, set out in a slightly comparative way. Then plan is that I can then get an analyst report to uncover these hidden details about him:

a4fc83b3222637584bf5a8b40a232d38.png

Tidied up a few bits and I think that the rebuild on the player profiles is complete. Here are the screens that you land on - with a lot of customisation available still.

0110e143e2475eda38d22f940f393fc9.png

98f513a80007f31829f4138ebfd8fdc3.png

---

The quicker I get it cleaned up and packaged up, the less likely I am to find something to devote another 10 hours or so of skinning to!

As always - please give me any constructive feedback.

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Tidied up a few bits and I think that the rebuild on the player profiles is complete. Here are the screens that you land on - with a lot of customisation available still.

0110e143e2475eda38d22f940f393fc9.png

98f513a80007f31829f4138ebfd8fdc3.png

---

The quicker I get it cleaned up and packaged up, the less likely I am to find something to devote another 10 hours or so of skinning to!

As always - please give me any constructive feedback.

Not sure if it's constructive feedback but I really like it, especially the idea about "human" and "non-human" managed players/profiles. That's really good.

I'm returning here in recent weeks mainly to see what you and @GIMN created again despite not playing the game as it's great to follow both of your progress. 

Wonderful work mate. Is it possible to show their main club at the profile or pop-up profile of loaned players? If I am not missing something I can only find out their main club from contract page in the current version.

3 minutes ago, deniz said:

Wonderful work mate. Is it possible to show their main club at the profile or pop-up profile of loaned players? If I am not missing something I can only find out their main club from contract page in the current version.

I've never quite been sure of where to put it but will have a look right now. About 75% of the way through tidying it up so it may make the release today or tomorrow.

2 hours ago, keysi said:

Not sure if it's constructive feedback but I really like it, especially the idea about "human" and "non-human" managed players/profiles. That's really good.

I'm returning here in recent weeks mainly to see what you and @GIMN created again despite not playing the game as it's great to follow both of your progress. 

Thank you, so much! Can I ask why you're not playing at the moment? Have you continued your skinning since we last interacted?

1 minute ago, _Ben_ said:

I've never quite been sure of where to put it but will have a look right now. About 75% of the way through tidying it up so it may make the release today or tomorrow.

may make release today or tomorrow. Great news :)  

• _Ben_ changed the title to [FM23] Statman v3.1 - Updated 12/04/2023

v3.1 out now: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ih3p6ldkfhx8vf0/Statman+v3.1.rar/file

Lots and lots of changes but the main ones:

• Re-built player profile including Pizza charts and FBREF metrics
  • Added 'loan from' @deniz
  • Fixed issue with national team profile @'appy 'ammer
  • Changes in container size so hopefully I am able to create something more usable for other resolutions.

Thanks!