[FM22] The Great San Marino Challenge

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For info - a spin-off of the thread in the main discussion part of the forum on dynamic youth ratings is a user who had run tests raised a bug report not knowing if his tests were a bug or what SI expected.  Anyway, I've followed the thread and Andrew James from SI has just posted this:

"Thanks for your feedback, and for the work that's gone into testing this. 

There are several factors at play with National Youth Ratings, and whilst in-game success is one of them, it's also dependent upon the nation's ability to improve their footballing infrastructure. 

I think it's worth mentioning that National Youth Rating isn't the only measure of the quality of newgens that are generated, so in the example you've given, FC Andorra growing as a club, improving their facilities and reputation would still result in better Youth Intakes even if the NYR for the nation of Andorra hasn't increased. 

That said, we are aware of an issue where smaller nations in extreme periods of growth are not seeing their NYR grow as might be expected. 

This issue is currently under review with our dev team, and I'll be sure to test any future tweaks against the examples you've provided, so thanks again."

The second to last paragraph is a bit of a worry for us!  I've been thinking about how to play my save given the new dynamic youth ratings - this has slightly muddied the waters...

So, instead of the NYR going from 1-15 in 3 seasons with a successful team driving it, it may take 5-10 instead?

I'm still going to try and get my team to where I want them to be after 5 seasons, and, to be fair, I was expecting 20-30 seasons for the rest of the league to slowly catch up.

It does seem to be that not every save will have that issue though.

12 minutes ago, robterrace said:

So, instead of the NYR going from 1-15 in 3 seasons with a successful team driving it, it may take 5-10 instead?

I'm still going to try and get my team to where I want them to be after 5 seasons, and, to be fair, I was expecting 20-30 seasons for the rest of the league to slowly catch up.

It does seem to be that not every save will have that issue though.

I believe so - but it does seem like we don't know exactly where the goalposts are!

I've done some work on comparing World Rankings and Youth Ranking - and while there's not an exact correlation (Uruguay ranked 8th in the world - youth ranking is 90, which is 46th in the world), I figured San Marino would need to crack the top 150 for there to be any movement in their Youth Ranking.  I guess sustained success at that level would be required before it would change - so if we were top 150 for 2-4 years, then fell to the 170/180's it wouldn't rise and fall with that.  But if we stayed higher than 150 for 5-10+ years, then the needle moves.

My main concern with Victor San Marino is that if I'm in Serie A, even with top facilities, any Sammarinese youth players will be Serie C level (plus any dual nationals at Serie A level because of Italy's youth ranking, will pick Italy).

In FM19 with San Marino Calcio, my intakes were still generally poor even after 14 years of winning Serie A, top facilities, top HOYD and sustained National Team success.

It's easier with a San Marino League club, as it seems your intakes are generally in line with the ranking of your league - so you don't get that disconnect between a Serie A level of play and a Serie C level intake.  My FM19 save was like my current one, a dual club save - I was managing San Giovanni as well and the intakes there were strong for the San Marino League - but only the odd one had even Serie B potential.

7 minutes ago, duesouth said:

I believe so - but it does seem like we don't know exactly where the goalposts are!

I've done some work on comparing World Rankings and Youth Ranking - and while there's not an exact correlation (Uruguay ranked 8th in the world - youth ranking is 90, which is 46th in the world), I figured San Marino would need to crack the top 150 for there to be any movement in their Youth Ranking.  I guess sustained success at that level would be required before it would change - so if we were top 150 for 2-4 years, then fell to the 170/180's it wouldn't rise and fall with that.  But if we stayed higher than 150 for 5-10+ years, then the needle moves.

My main concern with Victor San Marino is that if I'm in Serie A, even with top facilities, any Sammarinese youth players will be Serie C level (plus any dual nationals at Serie A level because of Italy's youth ranking, will pick Italy).

In FM19 with San Marino Calcio, my intakes were still generally poor even after 14 years of winning Serie A, top facilities, top HOYD and sustained National Team success.

It's easier with a San Marino League club, as it seems your intakes are generally in line with the ranking of your league - so you don't get that disconnect between a Serie A level of play and a Serie C level intake.  My FM19 save was like my current one, a dual club save - I was managing San Giovanni as well and the intakes there were strong for the San Marino League - but only the odd one had even Serie B potential.

Its what I've thought as well. 

A consistent stream of players from one club can drag the international team up the rankings, however, that would take a few years as you say, I think a top 150 team would probably be the tipping point for Sanmarinese players to start popping up at Victor (or other clubs nearby) with a decent potential, and maybe pick San Marino over Italy. Thats part of the reason why I chose to play within San Marino first, then go further afield and hopefully pick up Victor a few years down the line, and use the San Marino players I've developed to rule the world :D

The rating of intakes compared to leagues is a very good point too, and something I need to look at when I get more time.

Youth intake day. We're sat top of the Campionato, and it appears I may have a couple of massive talents coming through on this one. :D

bWl3pJM.pngvOaiM0F.png

The two stars -

31N7xpW.png

WDIYgPS.png

Both are single nationality players, and, with a bit of work, Capicchioni will be a proper beast.

Currently got 5 players in and around the various San Marino setups.

Michele Cevoli, who is my first choice RCB, and Samuele Severi, who is my first choice RB.

jpRo2ch.jpeg

K3Ef7L4.png

In the 19s, is young midfielder, Marco Venerucci, who has made a couple of appearances.

The U21s sees Marko Vavassori, a 16 year old LB, called up for his first taste of action. The youngster made his debut in Europe, and has been in the squad ever since. 
Young 17 year old winger Federico Forcellini is the other player, the speedy right sided player returning recently after a hamstring strain, and has made 2 appearances in the first team.

This is review about Victor San Marino who play in Serie D in 2022/2023 season. To make team strong i sign 26 player (most of them are amateur contract) but only two player who make big contribution like Filippo Gerardini dan Michele Cesario. Gerardini and Cesario scoring 13 goal and make the duo become club top scorer.

20211124015037_1.thumb.jpg.f3fa0f6c49656cef82ef8ef65151e198.jpg

20211124015056_1.thumb.jpg.28f5be31caca7f94c607af13ac232b4f.jpg

20211124015100_1.thumb.jpg.a4c08acff7eb2af0292f321a285f1518.jpg

Unfortunately, Victor San Marino only in on fourth place. We win final playoff but not get promotion into Serie C. I think the explanation was clearly conveyed by @duesouth

20211124015115_1.thumb.jpg.f90e258fea14b0eabe17c6078d6757af.jpg

20211124015143_1.thumb.jpg.04ba9004ea1a9bc8dc623ad9ffa8ba21.jpg

Now about San Marino National Team. The Them make a good progress for in 2022 and 2023 so far because we defeat Liechtenstein and draw with Romania. I hope next season will be better season

20211124015446_1.thumb.jpg.9e8d37dd06995109cbe45de2b52acdde.jpg

20211124015504_1.thumb.jpg.914d89d73f09c740f8815ed4008f2463.jpg

20211124015513_1.thumb.jpg.0a2c2ccdadced6f2697afe0fc4d0faaf.jpg

On 16/11/2021 at 10:07, duesouth said:

I think you would struggle if you went Sammarinese only.  Not only quality, but numbers.  There are a bunch of 15/16 year old new gens created at the start of the save, but you can't sign them as there's a bug with player registration for these - they would have been useful backups.  Even with dynamic youth ratings possibly helping a bit (and we don't yet know how much), you'll also struggle to move beyond Serie C with Sammarinese only.  Doing this with a San Marino League club is a better fit as your youth intakes are more in keeping with the level of the league.  The issue there is the League allows 9 foreign players and most teams take up that allocation - so you'd have to release all of them (easy as it's non-contract so you can do so without financial penalty) and then get signing - but the new gen bug isn't an issue here, so you can at least sign a few as backups.

If you want to have a crack, then go for it - but it would be a very hard way of doing what is a pretty long term and difficult challenge.  Whichever way you go - good luck!

after seeing this , i decide not to do youth only :) so , i will buy some players :) 

I have always wanted to try take on this challenge and finally I will attempt this.

I like to be a former player of any club or nation I am managing to make it more realistic so I have decided to manage as San Marino's national team's greatest goalscorer Andy Selva.

In real life he is the current manager of San Marino league side Pennarossa which if you translate the Italian to English it translates as Red Pen :D

image.thumb.png.60d0a0efafab4dac2490295ea7b4f6ee.png

They are predicted to finish 6th in the league. They have won the San Marino Cup in 2004 and 2005, The San Marino Super Cup in 2003 and the Campionato Sammarinese di Calcio. 

image.thumb.png.5db05ac0e7fd9993a302de33077d212e.png

Club expecations are very simple.

image.thumb.png.2e5d789077e937cadf1a265d62796993.png

I am also going to be the San Marino national team manager with my hope that I can produce some decent players at Pennarossa who can help the National team.

image.thumb.png.2f682d3baab70e1e47c5e66ce784da3a.png

@6499red Is my manager profile ok ?

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Ok cool. Thank you. Has anyone done any kits and club logos for San Marino leagues?

I posted some 'fantasy' kits a couple of pages back, but I'm sorting a few bits out and may actually have more realistic ones soon.

After winning Eccelenza and the 2 cups in first season, getting to the playout in the second, promotion on the third season, surviving serie C on the fourth im now fighting for a playoff spot image.thumb.png.a1eeee113e32b45a1cd702ff70f9d605.png

Unfortunately the San Marino is not going as well in all of this 4 seasons i only managed 2 draws, but one of them against lithuania.

image.thumb.png.f9b6459c55ce8c1ad18c8e24666c6b82.png

sure does. yum!

image.png.b96dd3d5abdb7c2f0ade7ae71e19059b.png

2027 Serie B ends with us barely surviving. Won the 2nd leg of the playout in extra time. yikes! We played terribly all year, won 2 of our last 3 and barely scraped in somehow

image.thumb.png.33cf4f093a40e1ae18bd8e75793d8746.png

image.png.c4d01dc64da670d29ac3586eda3cd7a5.png

image.png.079fa740d3b805afc8a2d1fb6260109b.png

wtf? moved back into tiny stadium? we moved becuase the Original one wasnt Serie C standard

Edited by deadfncat

News in terms of European Qualifying. Due to our performance in Europe last season, we have moved up a place in the Co-efficient table.

gzC3Fes.png

As a result, we now get 2 teams into the Europa Conference, and one into the Champions League qualifiers, something which allows other teams to improve as well.

So. My plan for the first few seasons of professionalism in San Marino...

Sign the best San Marino National Team players I can, in order to improve them with full time training, add a few of the 'best' players from the league as well, topping up with youth prospects and other players.

Scout and get the best young Sanmarinese players, as well as those with dual SM/Italian nationality.

So, to start with.

San Marino goalkeeper, Simone Benedettini joins from SS Murata, happy to be second choice behind Stimac. He has 8 caps for the NT and over 100 career appearances.

The next home grown player to join, was 23 year old defender, Diego Moretti. He doesn't expect to be a starting player, so, I'll look to improve him, and use him to fit the quota spaces if needed.

Also coming in, from Serie D side, Alfonsine, is midfielder Marcello Mularoni , he has nearly 40 caps for the national team, with 9 coming in the last season. He'll be used off the bench and again, we'll aim to improve him generally.

The next signing made is with an eye on a formation change for league fixtures this season. With full time coming, I can be slightly more aggressive in my style, and am looking to go to 3 at the back. This is where Mose Sanchez comes in, the big Ecuadorian arriving from La Florita.

Whilst a few changes to the squad are being made, we have drawn Flora Tallinn in the first stage of the Champions League. A tough tie, but, one I'd back us to do well in.

Back to the team building, and another new signing, in midfielder Tommaso del Rosso from Follonica Gavorrano. His first touch, decisions and passing are at a great level for the league, and with a high workrate as well, I expect him to contribute to the team throughout the season.

Another youngster coming in, was 18 year old Swede, Gustaf Gustavsson, his agent approached and we took him on trial, with him having not had a club for nearly a year. With a little bit of work, he could be a really good player in this league.

The last signing before the trip to Gibraltar to play Flora, was young goalkeeper, Mattia Saravo, from San Felice. The former Sampdoria youth product wanting to get his career back on track, and potentially play cup football this season.

Big news from Gibraltar, where the match against Flora Tallinn went better than expected. The Estonian side being dispatched 3-0, young Federico Forcellini coming off the bench to secure the win, after a Luca Carboni goal had given us the lead in the first half.

5lpPgAt.png

The next match saw Welsh big hitters The New Saints face us, the winners going on to face Latvian side FC Valmeira in the First Qualifying Round.

A blistering performance from us, saw the Welsh blown away, 5-0, with the defensive efforts completely shutting down TNS, and five different scorers chipping in, with youth product Lorenzo Capicchioni scoring the 5th, as players were rested once we'd done the necessary.

dBZmxes.png

A two legged fixture against the Latvian champions awaits. Lovely.

Okay, bug  . . . or something . . . that I have run into and I am curious if anyone else who loaded the databases as seen then.  I am at the start of my third season in San Marino and just had the draw for Champions League . . . and I drew PSG.  Yes the French Champions now apparently are drawn in the first qualifying round for the Champions League.  I went in to look at the nation club coefficents and it appears all of them have reset to 0.00 across the board.   I posted a pic below but wanted to see if anyone else as run into this.  I save my game with a new save after each day I play so I was able to go back and looks like this might have been something from the very beginning.  Fearing I might have to start over . . .which would suck.

coeff.thumb.PNG.02300172816190fa65dbe7fbe482d5e9.PNG

39 minutes ago, 6499red said:

@duesouth @robterrace seen in Loki Doki discord, don't know if it is what you have seen?

image.png.1f399107f07467a5554dcbc635a91473.png

Don't know what is meant in this instance by "wonderkids" though - do they mean top for Latvia, or world-beaters.

Edit: I'm going to try and get more info, but I'm not to sure about continuing before that.

Hi mate, yeah SI are saying it's a "known issue" - that "smaller nations in extreme periods of growth are not seeing their NYR grow as might be expected."  I mentioned it a day or two ago in here, but this thread is so busy it's easy to miss posts!  I've asked SI if any fix to this would be save game compatible - but nothing back from them yet - I fear it might need a new save...

A couple of threads on it:

The bug report thread:

The discussion on DYR - which is interesting:

In real life he is the current manager of San Marino league side Pennarossa which if you translate the Italian to English it translates as Red Pen :D

@6499red Is my manager profile ok ?

I'm prety sure that it translates as Red Feather, but nonetheless good luck :D:brock:

Edited by FabioSilva

50 minutes ago, Lefurjah said:

Okay, bug  . . . or something . . . that I have run into and I am curious if anyone else who loaded the databases as seen then.  I am at the start of my third season in San Marino and just had the draw for Champions League . . . and I drew PSG.  Yes the French Champions now apparently are drawn in the first qualifying round for the Champions League.  I went in to look at the nation club coefficents and it appears all of them have reset to 0.00 across the board.   I posted a pic below but wanted to see if anyone else as run into this.  I save my game with a new save after each day I play so I was able to go back and looks like this might have been something from the very beginning.  Fearing I might have to start over . . .which would suck.

coeff.thumb.PNG.02300172816190fa65dbe7fbe482d5e9.PNG

Nov 2025 here and all seems normal on my save.

My first proper game with San Marino national team and quite encouring. I lost but I managed to score 3 goals against Poland.

I lost 6-3 but it is good to see my team score.

image.thumb.png.314889605e6cea9d1e131d12640c1e1f.png

I have also broken two National Team goalscorer records in that game with Matteo Guidi becoming the youngester ever goalscorer at 18 years old and 229 days and then I broke the oldester goalscorer record with Jose Adolfo Hirsch scoring at the grand old age of 35 years old and 213 days

image.thumb.png.10bc14023aa8bd63fdeb431a5b660967.png

image.thumb.png.40b1b5b008d11a0033acd9b58eabf93a.png

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham