The Grand Budapest Football Club - rekindling the magic of the Mighty Magyars (or trying to at least!)

karanhsingh

Here is a link to the article just so you can get to understand the history and also the reason as to why I have selected the player roles...

https://mattylewis11.medium.com/fm21-tactic-il-sistema-23bd2a58553c

I have made a few tweaks to the tactic which I felt made it stronger in relation to the match engine, this is how it looks now.

image.png.280d16cc7cb36f7fb00604dde3cfb9b3.png

*note, I haven't used this with SK to date, could well do in the future...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Here is a link to the article just so you can get to understand the history and also the reason as to why I have selected the player roles...

https://mattylewis11.medium.com/fm21-tactic-il-sistema-23bd2a58553c

I have made a few tweaks to the tactic which I felt made it stronger in relation to the match engine, this is how it looks now.

image.png.280d16cc7cb36f7fb00604dde3cfb9b3.png

*note, I haven't used this with SK to date, could well do in the future...

Thanks, it looks very interesting! Will keep it as an option in case my current tactic becomes less effective over time

Good luck with Rapid Wien :) 

Summer of 2023

A decently busy transfer window - at 2.2 million the most we have shelled out so far by some distance.

1227276011_transfers2324.thumb.jpg.5e6fcaa8faf5464ce812a61041a09111.jpg

As always just highlighting a couple of players who I expect will play a role in our first team.

1207349326_bollain.thumb.jpg.101b7163b0223d05fbcfb208cbb707e0.jpg

Making his transfer permanent was a no brainer. He will be our first choice DW on the right.

zsolt.thumb.jpg.20fcc18b52de86de193253962645946b.jpg

A big transfer at 1.1 million (his relegation release clause) and not a player we particularly needed - but I did not want to pass up what looks like one of the best young Hungarian talents. I hope with time he will make the LCB spot his own.

457412054_koro.thumb.jpg.e95de33072b4e9b69cc062bb80bbfb89.jpg

Koronics of course was a transfer confirmed last summer and only went through now - in that time it seems he has made a little progress and also grown a beard. He should slot in between LW, RW and SS roles this season. Needs some work in training.

zak.thumb.jpg.fca29263942fce2590b02a610c47f7c1.jpg

Probably the best transfer of the lot. Marek Zak adds to a growing Czech contingent at the club, and looks pretty phenomenal for his age. With him and Janos Dienes, we may have two of the best young 17 year old CBs around.

vais.thumb.jpg.0890e308223070b4fb78f6d4b3a7e14d.jpg

Another promising young Czech player, Vais is our new back-up GK behind Popovic.

The only significant departure was Babic who was complaining for a new contract and with us now being over-stocked with CBs, decided to let him go.

I am a little bummed about having absolutely zero interest in my players all summer (apart from Dienes) especially after our run in the Europa. Not that I am really complaining but I was expecting to have to field some offers for our better players. Even 41 goal hero Matousek had no offers - anyhow he now has some Czech compatriots to keep him company.

Also a word on Marton Radics who joined the club last summer (I did not profile him then) but has really been progressing well and recently broken into the first team.

radics.jpg

Edited by karanhsingh

Hungary - the beginning

First two fixtures done with the national side.

312267645_montaway.thumb.jpg.43e0fb07f8be7e8d6d24d25098854b3e.jpg

Sadly we started off with a poor loss in Montenegro - we had definitely done enough to draw if not win the game. This may just cost us at the end of the campaign.

959902258_monthome.thumb.jpg.1d67e5ba49da2f25a39e2814a615991a.jpg

We did the business (just about) in the return leg at home. Leaves us with 6 points from 4 games - if we can do the double over Luxembourg and beat Austria away we will qualify for Euro 2024.

As you can see I am using the same Ujpest system with Hungary and players are still adjusting. Szoboszlai as a shadow striker is interesting - been encouraging so far and he definitely has the attributes for it. He is probably the best player I will manager over the course of this save.

Look Ma we made it.

The UEFA Champions League Qualifiers.

981862923_clfix.jpg.85e72a7d05d9bab490ca354cd5f1d3a2.jpg

We finally got the job done! A good set of fixtures too, with Red Star being the only real threat.

Which means, money money money!

money.jpg.5a62c5c939d5431a0a240f0dd24ddf33.jpg

And also means this.

2025396823_uclgrp.jpg.2247a471a9f5ee5a49bc70343f3521ca.jpg

Will be a miracle to get anything more than 0 points in this group.

One of those groups of death almost there!! That 4-0 drubbing of Red Star was mighty impressive and that sort of money really will start to change everything again! The future is extremely bright.

The Austria game for Hungary will be huge, need them to fully buy in to the new playing formations and roles by then!

6 minutes ago, theBlackPrince said:

One of those groups of death almost there!! That 4-0 drubbing of Red Star was mighty impressive and that sort of money really will start to change everything again! The future is extremely bright.

The Austria game for Hungary will be huge, need them to fully buy in to the new playing formations and roles by then!

Thanks - Red Star game we were 1-0 up going into the last few minutes and got lucky to score a few on the counter as they pressed high. Agreed about the money, need to start scouting around for some players who can really take us to the next level.

And yes on Hungary as well - the downside with international management is that you have no control on the players training or tactical development when they are at their clubs - or even otherwise as there is no training module for nations (something I have brought up on the forums). But we will have to manage and also over time have more players common between club & country - the number is already 4 which makes Ujpest the best represented club.

I completely forgot to mention that Onovo took up Hungarian nationality and I gave him his debut.

59 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

The Upjest train is picking up speed.....Champion's League money!:idiot:

In Kosice, I was thrilled with the $200k + ticket money from the Europa Conference League Play in Games!

It definitely is!

52 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

We all know that the UCL money is an absolute game changer for the club, will you be looking to invest in long-term projects such as the improvement of club training facilities?

Yes we have already been doing that, up to great training facilities and good youth facilities now. But will continue to pump money in.

Honestly the squad is quite good as it is - I don't have any pressing urgency to buy players.

Champions League! Probably too big of an ask to get out of that brutal group, but maybe aim for 3rd place? Take all that money and give the EURO Cup. You never know though…
Also, Hungary is looking like a top CB factory! The new guy’s also a solid CB already.

I am beginning to think the UEFA Champion's League is a "Super League" already.....

Your group is insane.....with Arsenal probably the worst of the 3 other teams in your group. (Unless Portugal isn't playable)

On 30/06/2021 at 16:39, MattyLewis11 said:

That's a good thing, I am never one for mass recruitment, maybe the one signing per season and look to bring the quality through which already exists within a club. 

Same philosophy here... it's just tough to maintain self-control when your scouts keep returning player reports from all over the world :D

On 30/06/2021 at 17:04, SixPointer said:

Great progress. Champions league football and the money that goes with it propels teams in the smaller nations into untouchable in the domestic game 

Yes true, I am hoping Ferencvaros can keep it slightly interesting.

On 30/06/2021 at 19:36, 13th Man said:

Champions League! Probably too big of an ask to get out of that brutal group, but maybe aim for 3rd place? Take all that money and give the EURO Cup. You never know though…
Also, Hungary is looking like a top CB factory! The new guy’s also a solid CB already.

3rd place most definitely is the objective, although I am afraid that too might be ambitious. And yes I hope these two can be the mainstay of both the Ujpest & Hungary defense for a while!

On 30/06/2021 at 22:32, Hootieleece said:

I am beginning to think the UEFA Champion's League is a "Super League" already.....

Your group is insane.....with Arsenal probably the worst of the 3 other teams in your group. (Unless Portugal isn't playable)

Portugal is view-only, Arsenal are definitely much stronger than Porto. They are perennially over-rated on FM (hence in the CL in the first place :lol:

On 01/07/2021 at 00:23, john1 said:

Tough group to be in :eek:

:seagull:

Random mid-season update

Gone a bit slower over the last couple of days, so thought I'd post an update on how things have been going.

On the club front, it's been mostly good.

1964756221_fixturessofar.jpg.02badc208d4752a1377820705b1f323d.jpg

Just the one draw in the league. In Europe, we started off with a fantastic (might even say historic) away win in Porto, before being brought down to earth by Arsenal. Now have a nice easy double header against Real Madrid coming up :lol:

2014814827_leaguetab.jpg.bc9252a566a5b4d4cc9c4e2543a449ad.jpg

We have actually only just gone top, as Ferencvaros dropped their first points of the season. They are doing really well so far, and with the Budapest derby coming up soon, that should be very interesting.

And here are the fixtures for Hungary:

1414463688_hungfix.jpg.aeadf1eab2e933be70009586b70c83a6.jpg

So we did the business against Luxembourg, before getting a plucky win in Austria to really set us up nicely. Then I have no idea what happened in the Spain game, we were well in it till HT then completely capitulated. There is a LOT of work to be done here, and it will be a much bigger challenge than Ujpest as we cannot just buy / train players the way we want to.

651906273_groupc.jpg.6b290c146148419b8f9b131531ac6510.jpg

On the positive side, we will qualify for Euro 2024 if we beat Luxembourg in the last game, despite that horrific goal difference.

Hungarian young talent alert

So this guy has recently popped up on the radar for both club & country. He was generated as Puskas Academia and is already doing well in the league. Right now he is not interested in a move to Ujpest but we will definitely try in the summer.

Am also contemplating calling him up to the Hungary national squad and throwing him in at the deep end.

milan.thumb.jpg.a50b6fe4fb997a98017ee876399b693b.jpg

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

So this guy has recently popped up on the radar for both club & country. He was generated as Puskas Academia and is already doing well in the league. Right now he is not interested in a move to Ujpest but we will definitely try in the summer.

Am also contemplating calling him up to the Hungary national squad and throwing him in at the deep end.

Get him in now if you good enough your old enough is my Moto

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Get him in now if you good enough your old enough is my Moto

His club manager just told me to get him in as well :lol:

I think I will because surely it will make it easier to sign him down the line

2023-24 half-way update

415033001_fixtures1.jpg.b9e3b5556f3d05c3fa8b7f7af89d6108.jpg

It's largely gone pretty well. A couple of dropped points in the league but nothing significant.

We did have our first Budapest derby of the season, a chance to open up a gap on Ferencvaros.

derby6.thumb.jpg.de2c4eb13c24b1da0995a35074ed149a.jpg

But we could not grab it. A really dull affair. The winless streak against the rivals continues.

This is the league table at the winter break. 

1510071828_tablehalf.jpg.8ae322eab399df992bfb5ba79553446b.jpg

As you can see, they are putting up a real fight this season. Which honestly is great to see. I am looking forward to a proper battle for retaining the title. Will probably be decided in the two remaining derbies.

UEFA Champions League

So, this happened.

728303845_realmadrid.jpg.63eb14fdd29d445a8d5de4104f5ea8fe.jpg

:lock::lock::lock:

And we also beat Porto at home, which meant that we went into the last game at the Emirates with a chance of qualifying for the knock-outs if we beat Arsenal!

303628806_clfinal.jpg.6096dfb098c1234313d56962eb114426.jpg

We fought really hard, but sadly we came up short. In fact with Madrid losing, even a point would have been enough.

In other news,

discipline.jpg.e0c3131fe40726be7e79a3f7938b62e8.jpg

Good to know :lol:

The draw for the Europa league knock-out has been made,

sociedad.jpg.20958639be5d05b5a9280576328d709b.jpg

And it's a really tricky one! Sociedad are an absolutely top team, with multiple players valued at over 50 million including Isak & Oyarzabal. I think this will be a huge challenge for us.

The intake preview for this year sadly does not look very promising.

873021974_intakepreview24.jpg.7c0c76ac4e11719f7c6a9f4552d55efe.jpg

However I am still hoping the DM is good - we do need someone in that position for when Vecsei leaves.

I got a bunch more interviews and decided to attend only one - as it is a club that Gabor loves and one where he is regarded as a legend.

1487065589_herthajob.jpg.2cd1e605f779ceb64ff8e586f467fec0.jpg

Got the job offer but of course decided to decline - our work in Hungary is not yet complete. However I have saved the game should I decide to return to it down the line.

Major transfer news from the Jan window:

szabo.jpg.da1ca0e248ea1000a83bad8715b4a9b9.jpg

The afore-mentioned Szabo (who also got his Hungary debut in November) will be signing for us for an initial 2.5 million pounds. Which is a pretty significant sum for a transfer between Hungarian clubs. But I really hope he can go far, and I also don't mind spreading the money down the pyramid a bit.

Here he is now, already a little improved during the past couple of months.

951001000_szabonow.thumb.jpg.407892b480470c409e7a49000c6b9050.jpg

Here is another Hungarian talent I was tracking - I did in fact put in an offer for him too but his club was being harder to negotiate with. Also, I do eventually feel that Milan Szabo will be a better fit for the F9 role up front than Peter Furedi.

furedi.thumb.jpg.c5b0c8268414cd800a5fa26bba2e7013.jpg

Edited by karanhsingh

Third Place in Champions League and at least making the Knockouts of the Europa League is huge for your team. Good Luck against Real Sociedad!

You did beat Real Madrid....can Real Sociedad really be better than them?

And finally an update from the Hungarian national side

9099373_luxawa.thumb.jpg.d1bbe0c1932f0725014c11dc344168b8.jpg

We did the business quite efficiently in Luxembourg. Which meant,

29202964_qualifyeuro.jpg.c64b653d564785a68a2eaf3a37bdbfde.jpg

The table of the second placed teams -

1283994838_secondplacedtable.thumb.jpg.56a84d111daa9368b2a6bbfe487052ea.jpg

Denmark the unlucky ones to not make it through.

Also, this is 100% true.

vvd.jpg.86f3d5abd966dc9d95b74972bf40c348.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Third Place in Champions League and at least making the Knockouts of the Europa League is huge for your team. Good Luck against Real Sociedad!

You did beat Real Madrid....can Real Sociedad really be better than them?

I actually genuinely believe none of the Madrid attackers (Rodrygo, Vini & Jovic) are as good as Isak/ Oyarzabal. But I love the optimism, we can do this!

1 minute ago, Hootieleece said:

Furedi would make a nice bench option for the F9 role unless you have decent options in your academy.

Yes he would, but for now we will have Szabo and Ivan Bakhar who continues to do well. However I would be open to any offers for Bakhar in the future with a view to getting Furedi in.

On 03/07/2021 at 16:48, theBlackPrince said:

That’s a huge result for Hungary!! Gonna be tough to really progress far for awhile in those kind of tournaments but long term…. Who knows 

Yes hopefully we don't land up with a group like Hungary did in real life! 

On 03/07/2021 at 16:56, SixPointer said:

Some result against the might real!

Thank you! 

23 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Lots of catching up to do on this but a very strong start! Keep it up!

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, theBlackPrince said:

Look where my star man who wouldn't sign a new deal at the club I took over went too..... 

Even more reason to hate on them now!

The nerve! Haha absolutely despise them already 

Congrats on doing so well so quickly. My wife is Hungarian and I love visiting central/Eastern europe in general, so I do enjoy a save over that way.

I'm 7 years into my own with Nyiregyhaza which I intended to put on here but couldn't find the time for write ups. Won the second division first season, but the First League still escapes me, Fehéravar have been incredibly dominant. This season is looking good so far though!

Sadly, Ujpest is a dirty word among my wife's family, so I can't be too enthusiastic for you lol.

Fantastic season so far! I'm still hungover after Andras took me out following the 2-0 win Real Madrid!

You managed 3rd place in the CL group!  Real Sociedad is a challenge but not impossible.  I found that they didn't have pace up front so I was able to push the DL very high and it made it hard for them...

Would you mind sharing your game set-up settings, to see what leagues you loaded? Think you've inspired me to take up something similar; I've always been a massive fan of Half Man Half Biscuit so seeing someone do well in Hungary always gets me thinking of Honved!

16 hours ago, ThePariah said:

Congrats on doing so well so quickly. My wife is Hungarian and I love visiting central/Eastern europe in general, so I do enjoy a save over that way.

I'm 7 years into my own with Nyiregyhaza which I intended to put on here but couldn't find the time for write ups. Won the second division first season, but the First League still escapes me, Fehéravar have been incredibly dominant. This season is looking good so far though!

Sadly, Ujpest is a dirty word among my wife's family, so I can't be too enthusiastic for you lol.

I really want to go back to Eastern Europe! And catch at least one of the Budapest/ Belgrade derbies live, ideally both at some point in my life.

I won't lie, I had to google Nyiregyhaza when you posted, but it seems like a good club with an unusually large stadium for the level you start at. You totally should write up about the save, would love to give it a read. If you don't want a create a separate thread, you can always look at the Good Player & Team Guide forum, maybe this thread.

I take it your wife's family supports one of the other Budapest clubs then :lol:

14 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Fantastic season so far! I'm still hungover after Andras took me out following the 2-0 win Real Madrid!

You managed 3rd place in the CL group!  Real Sociedad is a challenge but not impossible.  I found that they didn't have pace up front so I was able to push the DL very high and it made it hard for them...

Haha, Andras is a good man indeed! 

On Sociedad, did they have Isak when you played them - he looks very dangerous.

7 hours ago, Tilling said:

Would you mind sharing your game set-up settings, to see what leagues you loaded? Think you've inspired me to take up something similar; I've always been a massive fan of Half Man Half Biscuit so seeing someone do well in Hungary always gets me thinking of Honved!

Absolutely, here you go.

details.thumb.jpg.f691d60bc703b50bd2a50cf51d10fc07.jpg

I must however say that I made a mistake by loading too many leagues as "view-only" and I believe it is impacting the transfer market in my save. The gap between the Hungarian leagues and the top 5 which I loaded as playable is just too big, and the clubs in the view-only leagues are not as active in the market. 

I am contemplating adding more leagues as play-able on my save - for a new one I would recommend maybe some of the surrounding (and stronger) leagues as playable such as Croatia, Poland, Austria, Ukraine, Romania, Czech Republic maybe also Switzerland, Greece, etc. That should give you a much more dynamic market, if you are keen on that.

On 02/07/2021 at 07:09, karanhsingh said:

PI - dribble more often, look at his Flair paired with his pace! This guy is going to be a problem when on the ball! 

1 hour ago, MattyLewis11 said:

PI - dribble more often, look at his Flair paired with his pace! This guy is going to be a problem when on the ball! 

Definitely! First PPM he is already learning is runs with ball through centre.

The Prague production line continues to impress. This guy has joined us on loan till the end of the season. He was actually found by my DoF but I may try to make the move permanent if we can work on his passing a bit.

20210705164620_1.thumb.jpg.5ea88154fd488112787ca2b3fcad9b18.jpg

Time for another quick update from Budapest...

Firstly, a tactical tweak

1041802445_tactictweak.jpg.128bc730aefe391e3d8ee38a1fddf4f2.jpg

Two main reasons - the arrival of 16 year old prodigy Milan Szabo forced me to re-think the forward line. Soon after, a 6 week injury to Matousek our main SS convinced me to adopt this shape for the foreseeable future.

Jan & Feb so far have been a breeze...

1508621897_janfebfix.jpg.cbc75ee070f5b9e8b96e4b55cd048502.jpg

And as you can see next we have (had) a BIG week coming up!

I forgot to get a screenshot but we had managed to open up a solid 7 point gap in the league too, thanks to Ferencvaros dropping some points. We could put the nail in their coffin at the derby.

Sociedad at home, first.

749945552_sochome.thumb.jpg.4f77b01cf5eddcfe7c9d30664bbbf740.jpg

WOW. This kid Szabo is something else! What an incredible performance.

956594080_szaborecord.jpg.8abbf90ce00e5616c602515a3587c2b4.jpg

He become the youngest EVER goal-scorer in the Europa League. Really something. And that too in a knock-out game, with a hat-trick.

The derby next. Winless in 4 against our rivals, could we put an end to the run.

derby8.thumb.jpg.5e2364935583a3dfcd09514a7b5848cf.jpg

The short answer was no.

I just cannot understand what it is about them, that we cannot get a win.

A draw would have been just about okay, before Matousek got injured with 10 minutes left and no subs, which means we played on with 10 men and of course conceded soon after. A real kick in the teeth.

624542362_leaguetable.jpg.486f2562b3c52d297108a99a1ac21aa0.jpg

Which gives them some hope of catching us in the title race. Especially given that the final game of the season will be the Budapest derby again.

10 games against the sworn enemy and just the TWO wins. Terrible.

We followed that up with a solid performance in Spain.

1584912138_socaway.thumb.jpg.30da23652f9b9ad2001e47bf15aca245.jpg

3-2 win on the night, another brace for Szabo, and a thumping 7-2 score-line on aggregate.

1959395720_eurodraw.thumb.jpg.210ec49e373b4f5f2d7d95f92ea0764a.jpg

We will take on Marseille in the next round, and as you can see there are some BIG teams in the Europa.

Which again confirms my feelings that last year's draws were the best we are ever going to get in this competition (Rangers & Salzburg in the QF & SF respectively). Anyhow, we will give it our best!

17 hours ago, SixPointer said:

seems the derby is proving to be a major sour point for you! Impressive results otherwise. Seems your bogey team is team you really don’t want it to be!

11 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Ferencvaros S****! That is all. :cool:

Absolutely!! We will be however getting the chance to set this right sooner than we thought (coming up in the next update).

EUROPA LEAGUE SECOND KNOCKOUT ROUND

We managed to sneak a tight home win against Marseille.665742448_marseillehome.thumb.jpg.beaeda03f1753a12aa06555f029c6c0a.jpg

Szabo at the double, the kid keeps on scoring! Long may it continue

109333668_marseilleaway.thumb.jpg.8253787f50fc0c0759b2c2fcba471d67.jpg

The away leg was a grand struggle, but somehow we kept a clean sheet. Popovic our keeper finished as man of the match.

And with that, we were through to the quarters!

32613799_romadraw.jpg.53a8c07ba142534b80da8d4ab32d49b6.jpg

Another huge draw awaited us. The Europa league indeed is stacked this year!