The Grand Budapest Football Club - rekindling the magic of the Mighty Magyars (or trying to at least!)

karanhsingh

EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER FINALS

Away in Rome first :

1819881980_romaaway.thumb.jpg.470f5fa128d31d44aa8ab7205fa2fc54.jpg

A defeat but an encouraging result as we get 2 away goals. Matousek grabbing one on his return from injury.

The home leg was special for another reason too, it was our first back in the larger & improved Szusza Ferenc Stadion. 

1471410948_expansioncomp.jpg.2fa0ad9aabfe7afd389f88d8227c0cfe.jpg

And here is how it went :

1718305453_romahome.thumb.jpg.055400796136ad363a41a973a9d76991.jpg

Szabo with the winner! Looks like he is trying his best to emulate the Ujpest legend who the stadium is named after.

Also I am happy that the removal of the away goals rule is not a part of FM yet :lol:

So, for the second consecutive season, we are in the semi-finals of the Europa league. I would love to be optimistic but I think this is where the run might end.

atleti.jpg.08ab96e8b241ff123173e140e5cf2af1.jpg

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE DOMESTIC CAMPAIGN

So here is our recent fixture run, including those big European results.

768387692_fixtures.jpg.03e2557e198a5864d4a1b5e4acc28236.jpg

We did suffer a second league defeat of the season which was quite a surprise, but it was a game where we rotated plenty to be fair.

The highlight of the campaign though has to be this result against a strong Fehervar side. @Hootieleece we managed to match your 9 goal game :cool:

9-0.thumb.jpg.b96ea6385629fdb94c8ef9ceb3735112.jpg

Madness!

Here is the updated league table, we are not on top but we do have games in hand.

508761690_tablenownow.jpg.62cd95d3e14579317bf2bcfa862d99b2.jpg

Although the Hungarian FA has decided to give us a run from hell as we play Atleti on Thursday, then league games on Sunday AND Tuesday, before Atleti on Thursday again (WHAT?!). So there could well be more dropped points coming up, and a chance for Ferencvaros to take charge perhaps.

Speaking of whom, we will not have to wait for the Cup final to play them again this year.

256812247_derbycup.jpg.d3c9998b7f66d89fc10074e23503ab4a.jpg

Instead we get a two-legged semi final. This should be interesting. Can we finally get one over them?

Massive update that last one, where to start?!? Stadium going to nearly 19,000 is great for the future, but at this rate will need expanding again with the teams coming across from Europe! Huge result vs Roma, love when the away goals rule helps like that! Another big game in the semi final.

Someone in the league scheduling department needs firing, or they are a Ferencvarosi fan?! But I guess those two games in hand still puts you in a strong position even if drop a couple of points. All looks set for a final day showdown mind you, but if that can be avoided and can sit and enjoy the game instead of needing the result, that would be the icing on the cake!

Fantastic job in Europe. Andras keeps making me celebrate with him and I don’t know if my health can take too many more European victories!

He is, however, very frustrated with the derbies! 
Still, on the whole he’s happy.

23 hours ago, theBlackPrince said:

Massive update that last one, where to start?!? Stadium going to nearly 19,000 is great for the future, but at this rate will need expanding again with the teams coming across from Europe! Huge result vs Roma, love when the away goals rule helps like that! Another big game in the semi final.

Someone in the league scheduling department needs firing, or they are a Ferencvarosi fan?! But I guess those two games in hand still puts you in a strong position even if drop a couple of points. All looks set for a final day showdown mind you, but if that can be avoided and can sit and enjoy the game instead of needing the result, that would be the icing on the cake!

I think they must be! On 3 separate occasions, we had to play 4 games in the space of 7-8 days. Crazy! Basically they don't know how to handle it when a team goes deep into Europe and the domestic cup.

17 hours ago, SixPointer said:

What a run! Massive European results and a mammoth 9-0 win! Things are looking very bright for the purple of Budapest 

Thank you!

15 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Fantastic job in Europe. Andras keeps making me celebrate with him and I don’t know if my health can take too many more European victories!

He is, however, very frustrated with the derbies! 
Still, on the whole he’s happy.

We are doing it for Andras ;) 

14 hours ago, ucdark said:

OMG, now is the time to finally defeat Fenecvarosi... up the purples!

Absolutely! Its a long time coming already...

12 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Szabó is in a hot streak of form, really like the changes to the tactic, a formation which you rarely see on FM.

How are you finding the VOL? 

Thank you, it was changed mainly to be able to play Szabo in his best role. The VOL has been quite dynamic without scoring too many, I think I need a better player there TBH.

10 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Tactical question: How often are you DMC's getting involved in the Attack....at least transition?

Now just beat Ferencvaros!

I had two VOLs earlier, now it's one BWM and one VOL. The DMs are mainly the ball recyclers in this formation - always be available and spread the play. I like that they are often looking to make forward passes to the front 3. They often assist the assist.

The main attacking threat comes from the front 3 and the two wingers.

Time for some more updates. First up - the EUROPA LEAGUE SEMI FINALS.

2118209608_atletiaway.thumb.jpg.edce6b474e54a0f411970efcf9aa14f2.jpg

A bad 2-0 defeat away from home made the return leg a tall order. Honestly we did enough to score a goal and we should have. Also the second goal we conceded was terrible, my keeper basically caught the ball and carried it over the line. The red card made things worse - after that it was all them and we just held out. Overall, pretty unlucky. 2-1 would have been a fair result.

579397187_atletihome.thumb.jpg.38c7dbb51a1df1a372811de98128e359.jpg

We obviously had a mammoth task to accomplish at home and we really gave it our best. Started off like a house on fire but could not score. Then out of nowhere the referee gave Atleti a penalty - luckily my keeper saved it. We grabbed a goal with over half an hour to go which really gave us hope, and we pushed & pushed but just could not find the 2nd goal.

And so we go out of Europe at the same stage as last year, after a 1-2 aggregate defeat by Atletico Madrid.

OTP Bank Liga

986261927_finalfixtures.jpg.637d731e1979d5b5e9e7f4232052b1f6.jpg

Rest of the fixtures to wrap up the season.

We had already clinched the title before the final day Budapest derby, so it basically turned into a celebration party.

derby12.thumb.jpg.3b53ba2dfa7232a96821c4d239979bfa.jpg

Looks like we have finally turned a corner with Ferencvaros!

The final league table:

2029381092_tablefinale.jpg.568509ee579b860606e4f97fdf5cfff1.jpg

And it's 3 in a row for Ujpest!

71593462_titledone.jpg.93cfde07fe03edb16507e975d1dfa5c6.jpg

This also meant that Gabor has entered the Hungarian hall of fame!

hof.jpg.78adf3e2b5852ceca38aed1211b38c8e.jpg

Here are the squad stats from the season :

225810640_finalsquadstats.thumb.jpg.a4fbfa6f2f871b892ba505d94811fd82.jpg

Shout-outs to :

Milan Szabo was absolutely incredible since joining in January. Yes, that's right - he scored 28 goals in half a season. He is the best 16 year old I have managed on FM. Really hope he can go far.

Nemanja Antonov had a hugely impressive season on the left flank, topping our assists chart with 23 and also scoring 7 goals.

While the rest of the defense was also very solid, I want to give a shout-out to Ivan Bakhar who has really grown into that F9 goals - he does not score many (13 this season) but is absolutely crucial for the way we play and racked up an impressive 22 assists.

651015273_teamoftheseason.jpg.c8e23afd05750d7afa9e47e0df189057.jpg

We end with 7 players in the team of the season - remaining 4 are from Ferencvaros.

588180557_antonovpoty.jpg.7fbc2968c7ae5306e6ebcf906388f08b.jpg

Antonov deservedly won POTY.

1845979268_szabogolden.jpg.06f8216678443542f284fe8c16eb686d.jpg

Szabo with the golden boot at age 16 - followed by another 2 of our players again.

883180938_csontosyoungplayer.jpg.bf41bbe076f1ddf28d313f560b14d07b.jpg

And finally Csontos won the young POTY again followed by 2 other Ujpest players, and all Hungarian.

We have some good young talent at the club now.

Speaking of Hungary, the group for EURO 2024 was announced.

1310032738_eurogrp.jpg.8192d252b7cce679a11a29114a0ac6c3.jpg

And it is a tough one! I only hope we can somehow beat Russia.

Also released the preliminary squad, with strong Ujpest representation.

2086298600_hungplayers.jpg.c6d9459aa6302990c3554ef934a23f8f.jpg

Need to make some big decisions soon on who to cut.

The UEFA Nations group was also drawn and looks a lot better.

1045097469_uefanations.jpg.efbbed4b426418bcdf4890abbdd5d684.jpg

1 minute ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Kudos for getting seven players into the TOTS!

A tough draw in the European Championships, who do Hungary have to face first as that could well dictate the final standings? 

Russia! It will be a must win for us.

There was feverish knocking on my door late one Wednesday night. I wondered who could possibly be at my door some random weekday night, and my heart clenched when I saw Andras outside wearing his Ujpest jersey .
It was Budapest derby derby night.

I’d made an excuse not to watch the game with him, not wanting to deal with his misery, and simply because my wife was tired of me being gone for so many weekday nights watching some Hungarian team.

Andras looked in rough shape though, so I opened the door…

He looked at me, and I could see his eyes were a bit red.

“WE DID IT!!!” he suddenly yelled, a huge smile exploding across his face grabbed me and  lifted me off the ground, “We beat Ferencvarosi!!!! Finally!!! We finally beat them!!! We are celebrating!”

I once again regretted letting Andras tell me about the new coach at Ujpest, and agreeing to go watch several of their European adventures….or rather, I regretted it the next morning…

Szia!

I just logged on for the first time in ages and saw your name check in the opening post, so sorry for no/slow reply.

I haven't read the thread but hope you're having a good time in Hungary. I believe their foreign player limits were quite wide compared to what they had been before and so recruiting could be fun. Randomly I know the parent of an ex-Hungarian top-flight pro player but he stopped playing probably 5-10 years ago and won't be in FM anymore.

There we go!! congrats on thee huge win in the Derby, In my head I still see it as the game that won the title even if it was already won, kinda like just sticking the knife in a little more!

And then to get the double, great season. Europe is going to come too one day soon!

On 08/07/2021 at 19:12, SixPointer said:

Magical season!! And the derby wins are the icing on the cake!

Thank you! Yes was a long time coming. 

On 08/07/2021 at 20:38, 13th Man said:

There was feverish knocking on my door late one Wednesday night. I wondered who could possibly be at my door some random weekday night, and my heart clenched when I saw Andras outside wearing his Ujpest jersey .
It was Budapest derby derby night.

I’d made an excuse not to watch the game with him, not wanting to deal with his misery, and simply because my wife was tired of me being gone for so many weekday nights watching some Hungarian team.

Andras looked in rough shape though, so I opened the door…

He looked at me, and I could see his eyes were a bit red.

“WE DID IT!!!” he suddenly yelled, a huge smile exploding across his face grabbed me and  lifted me off the ground, “We beat Ferencvarosi!!!! Finally!!! We finally beat them!!! We are celebrating!”

I once again regretted letting Andras tell me about the new coach at Ujpest, and agreeing to go watch several of their European adventures….or rather, I regretted it the next morning…

Haha I hope you don't actually regret it, even though your wife definitely does ;)

As for Andras, he's definitely a man after my own heart. 

On 08/07/2021 at 22:42, Jogo Bonito said:

Szia!

I just logged on for the first time in ages and saw your name check in the opening post, so sorry for no/slow reply.

I haven't read the thread but hope you're having a good time in Hungary. I believe their foreign player limits were quite wide compared to what they had been before and so recruiting could be fun. Randomly I know the parent of an ex-Hungarian top-flight pro player but he stopped playing probably 5-10 years ago and won't be in FM anymore.

So good to hear from you! Hope you are well. Are you still playing these days? And yes there are no foreign player limits which is nice, although I am focusing more on Hungarian talent since I took over the national team as well. 

22 hours ago, john1 said:

WHAT.A.SEASON :cool: 

Thank you! 

21 hours ago, theBlackPrince said:

There we go!! congrats on thee huge win in the Derby, In my head I still see it as the game that won the title even if it was already won, kinda like just sticking the knife in a little more!

And then to get the double, great season. Europe is going to come too one day soon!

Thank you! I like the sticking the knife in reference :D

Europe will definitely be a challenge but let's see how far we can go! 

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Apologies for the lack of update on this one - real life has taken over and work has been very busy the last couple of weeks, which means zero FM time. I am hoping to return to it very soon! 

Understand. That is why I am moving all my Career Updates to this time of Year. It is the slow time of year in my profession.

11 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Apologies for the lack of update on this one - real life has taken over and work has been very busy the last couple of weeks, which means zero FM time. I am hoping to return to it very soon! 

Hope all is well mate and that you can return to that good work/life/FM balance 

On 21/07/2021 at 12:01, karanhsingh said:

I know the feeling all to well! If only we could become full time FMer’s

On 21/07/2021 at 03:01, karanhsingh said:

You should know that “work” is no excuse! FM is all that matters. ANDRAS WILL NOT WAIT!

[13th Man will likely regret this post when his own work goes crazy in a few weeks…]