FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

13 hours ago, roganp said:

I'm considering a new laptop as I'm wanting to play FM with a beefy database (between 150-200k players) and I'm finding my current one is pretty choppy when watching games in 3D and slow processing at times.  Not too knowledgable when it comes to these things, but would I be able to find anything for £800 or less? I've included the specs of my current laptop for further info.

Screenshot2024-01-14203820.png.12fc5c06523924b947e5eca83ffe958b.pngScreenshot2024-01-14203737.png.1560927581a42dc68375e0dc0e5ac5dd.png

Have you tried turning the graphics settings down a little bit?  You won't get a massive improvement in terms of processing speed over that with £800, but the issue with the 3D will be the fact that you only have an integrated GPU, so if you're trying to watch with the settings maxed out it will likely be a bit choppy.  Turn the preset down to medium and it should be fine.

The slow processing will likely just be down to the database size you've selected.

Edited by kevhamster

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

Have you tried turning the graphics settings down a little bit?  You won't get a massive improvement in terms of processing speed over that with £800, but the issue with the 3D will be the fact that you only have an integrated GPU, so if you're trying to watch with the settings maxed out it will likely be a bit choppy.  Turn the preset down to medium and it should be fine.

The slow processing will likely just be down to the database size you've selected.

I'll give that a go, thank you!

Hi everyone, I was just curious if this would be a good place to start with fm24?

I honestly don’t have a high budget but would probably cap it at $700. Been away from the series for a good bit and suddenly have the itch for it again.

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 Laptop, 15.6" FHD Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage, Windows 10H https://a.co/d/dvIFcQJ

3 hours ago, UnBut said:

Hi everyone, I was just curious if this would be a good place to start with fm24?

I honestly don’t have a high budget but would probably cap it at $700. Been away from the series for a good bit and suddenly have the itch for it again.

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 Laptop, 15.6" FHD Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage, Windows 10H https://a.co/d/dvIFcQJ

Yes, that'll do the job for FM24 :)

Hi, looking for some advice for a new laptop after my last one packed in.

I usually have 10 or so leagues loaded with a large database, but I play using only the 2d match engine, not fussed about the 3d version.

Are these laptops good? Not sure if 16gb is overkill.

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-slim-3-laptop-156in-fhd-intel-core-i5-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-abyss-blue/1600944339.prd

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-slim-3-intel-core-i7-8gb-ram-512gb-ssd-15in-full-hd-laptop-blue/1600919593.prd

1 hour ago, tom8_mufc said:

Hi, looking for some advice for a new laptop after my last one packed in.

I usually have 10 or so leagues loaded with a large database, but I play using only the 2d match engine, not fussed about the 3d version.

Are these laptops good? Not sure if 16gb is overkill.

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-slim-3-laptop-156in-fhd-intel-core-i5-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-abyss-blue/1600944339.prd

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-slim-3-intel-core-i7-8gb-ram-512gb-ssd-15in-full-hd-laptop-blue/1600919593.prd

If you're not fussed by playing in 3D, then yes both are good.  I'd go with the first one.

7 hours ago, UnBut said:

hi again,

would this be a much better option? Do you think this is also able to potentially handle FM25?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6534467.p?skuId=6534467

That is definitely a better option, and I'd be very surprised if it can't handle FM25.  Although we don't know yet what the FM25 system requirements will be, SI have always aimed for FM to be playable on as wide a range of hardware as possible, and this has an excellent CPU, with a graphics card that is certainly OK.

15 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

That is definitely a better option, and I'd be very surprised if it can't handle FM25.  Although we don't know yet what the FM25 system requirements will be, SI have always aimed for FM to be playable on as wide a range of hardware as possible, and this has an excellent CPU, with a graphics card that is certainly OK.

Really appreciate you taking the time to look at it! Thank you for the help 

Hi folks, hoping you can help. I have had this machine with these specs for about a year and have no real intention on changing it. However, it can be a little sluggish running 3D matches at times and (for some reason) slow at opening up file explorer?

I generally use it for FM, watching TV and browsing.

spacer.png

Any advice you can give that would solve the Explorer problem and maybe help FM run a bit more zappy. I am happy to pay for upgrading this laptop but obviously not paying through the nose.

Thanks

Edited by oakesypvfc

13 hours ago, oakesypvfc said:

Hi folks, hoping you can help. I have had this machine with these specs for about a year and have no real intention on changing it. However, it can be a little sluggish running 3D matches at times and (for some reason) slow at opening up file explorer?

I generally use it for FM, watching TV and browsing.

spacer.png

Any advice you can give that would solve the Explorer problem and maybe help FM run a bit more zappy. I am happy to pay for upgrading this laptop but obviously not paying through the nose.

Thanks

I have a laptop with the same CPU, and having tried FM on it you can't play 3D at max settings.  Start from medium and alter things from there.

In terms of file explorer, is your storage a SSD or a hard drive?  If it's a hard drive, that could be your answer.  Otherwise, I'd make sure all your laptop's drivers are up to date.

6 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I have a laptop with the same CPU, and having tried FM on it you can't play 3D at max settings.  Start from medium and alter things from there.

In terms of file explorer, is your storage a SSD or a hard drive?  If it's a hard drive, that could be your answer.  Otherwise, I'd make sure all your laptop's drivers are up to date.

I'm 90% sure it is an SSD.

I tend to run everything on low for the 3D match engine. It runs okay till I've been on the machine a while.

Is there anything else you would recommend, adding more RAM or a dedicated graphics card?

18 hours ago, oakesypvfc said:

I'm 90% sure it is an SSD.

I tend to run everything on low for the 3D match engine. It runs okay till I've been on the machine a while.

Is there anything else you would recommend, adding more RAM or a dedicated graphics card?

More RAM wouldn't necessarily make an impact for FM, but if you can afford to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB it probably isn't a bad idea for general use. 

14 hours ago, asafday88 said:

Hey guys,

Is more than 4 cores an overkill? Is i9 cpu will be significant improvement over i7/i5 as it has more cores and will it process game data much faster?

No, more than 4 cores isn't overkill at all. 

And just saying i9/i7/i5 doesn't give nearly enough info as there are many variations of all of the above. For example, if you're comparing a 9th generation i9 to a 13th generation i7, in that case the i7 is almost certainly going to be better. 

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

More RAM wouldn't necessarily make an impact for FM, but if you can afford to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB it probably isn't a bad idea for general use. 

Fair enough, how about a gfx card? I wouldn't even know where to start looking.

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

No, more than 4 cores isn't overkill at all. 

And just saying i9/i7/i5 doesn't give nearly enough info as there are many variations of all of the above. For example, if you're comparing a 9th generation i9 to a 13th generation i7, in that case the i7 is almost certainly going to be better. 

Thanks. 

Let's say I want to play with most of Europe plus Brazil and Argentina in a large database loaded. What is the minimum level of cores and threads I need and how much core speed is recommended in order to get about 2.5-3 stars grade of speed processing.

As for the graphics card, do you know the minimum requirements FM25 will be (or is it still too early). Anyway, my main focus is the speed of data processing.

Edited by asafday88

2 hours ago, oakesypvfc said:

Fair enough, how about a gfx card? I wouldn't even know where to start looking.

You won't be able to add a graphics card to a laptop.  You'd need to buy a new laptop with one included.

32 minutes ago, asafday88 said:

Thanks. 

Let's say I want to play with most of Europe plus Brazil and Argentina in a large database loaded. What is the minimum level of cores and threads I need and how much core speed is recommended in order to get about 2.5-3 stars grade of speed processing.

As for the graphics card, do you know the minimum requirements FM25 will be (or is it still too early). Anyway, my main focus is the speed of data processing.

There isn't an easy answer to that question as not all CPU's are equal, even ones with the same number of cores and threads.  Not to mention, the whole star rating thing for performance is actually quite flawed in any case.

What we do here is look at the best options available for your available budget.  

Or you can look at the benchmarking thread and see what different systems can do in terms of processing times:

4 hours ago, kevhamster said:

There isn't an easy answer to that question as not all CPU's are equal, even ones with the same number of cores and threads.  Not to mention, the whole star rating thing for performance is actually quite flawed in any case.

What we do here is look at the best options available for your available budget.  

Or you can look at the benchmarking thread and see what different systems can do in terms of processing times:

This is great, thank you. 

Hi.

Looking at purchasing a laptop to run FM24 / FM25 from Currys.  On my desktop comp have a custom database totalling 205'440 players and run the following leagues, some as playable and some as view only.   

I am after a laptop so that I can continue my game when I am on holiday or away travelling, which I may have to do more of in the future.

I run 127 leagues in 55 nations some as view only as shown below.

My budget is around £700

Is the laptop below suitable or will it present any issues?

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-tuf-gaming-f15-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-rtx-2050-512-gb-ssd-10258186.html

THnaks

Football Manager 2024_ Choose Nations.png

Football Manager 2024_ Choose Nations-2.png

Football Manager 2024_ Choose Nations-3.png

Football Manager 2024_ Choose Nations-4.png

Edited by wazza

11 hours ago, wazza said:

Hi.

Looking at purchasing a laptop to run FM24 / FM25 from Currys.  On my desktop comp have a custom database totalling 205'440 players and run the following leagues, some as playable and some as view only.   

I am after a laptop so that I can continue my game when I am on holiday or away travelling, which I may have to do more of in the future.

My budget is around £700

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-tuf-gaming-f15-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-rtx-2050-512-gb-ssd-10258186.html

THnaks

That one you've linked would be fine for the job.

4 hours ago, kevhamster said:

That one you've linked would be fine for the job.

Thanks the one I was looking at is out of stock - typically - there is an alternatvie which does look similar the out of stock processor js - Intel® Core™ i5-11400H Processor
- Hexa-core
- 2.7 Ghz / 4.5 GHz
- 12 MB cache

However this processor is ntel® Core™ i5-12450H Processor
- Octa-core
- 2.0 GHz / 4.4 GHz
- 12 MB cache

so not sure which is faster and better

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cyborg-15-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-rtx-2050-512-gb-ssd-10253504.html

Any advice be greatiy apprecialted

As advised in my post above

My budget is around £700

37 minutes ago, wazza said:

Thanks the one I was looking at is out of stock - typically - there is an alternatvie which does look similar the out of stock processor js - Intel® Core™ i5-11400H Processor
- Hexa-core
- 2.7 Ghz / 4.5 GHz
- 12 MB cache

However this processor is ntel® Core™ i5-12450H Processor
- Octa-core
- 2.0 GHz / 4.4 GHz
- 12 MB cache

so not sure which is faster and better

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cyborg-15-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-rtx-2050-512-gb-ssd-10253504.html

Any advice be greatiy apprecialted

As advised in my post above

My budget is around £700

The i5-12450H is actually better - newer CPU with better performance,  

19 hours ago, wazza said:

Hi.

My budget is around £700

THnaks

Sorry to jump in with possibly unwelcome advice, but have you considered a Steam Deck? I use this for FM on the go and find it far more convenient than a laptop. I also use a large database and find the performance acceptable (despite low star ratings).

3 hours ago, Gangor said:

Sorry to jump in with possibly unwelcome advice, but have you considered a Steam Deck? I use this for FM on the go and find it far more convenient than a laptop. I also use a large database and find the performance acceptable (despite low star ratings).

Thanks I did look at that previously but really require a laptop for other things to do with work etc...

Looking to replace my 8-year-old MacBook Pro (Intel chip) but feel I’ve been priced out of the Apple range now… so have unearthed these choices. Will be using for work also, but I tend to play on 2D classic with around 100,000 players loaded, albeit more recently only been loading leagues from the country I’ve been managing in. Any advice on this one at all?

https://amzn.eu/d/5FOie2S

https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/Acer-Nitro-5-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3050-156-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-NHQFJEK007/p/465337

Edited by kerrdavidson95
Link added.

29 minutes ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

Looking to replace my 8-year-old MacBook Pro (Intel chip) but feel I’ve been priced out of the Apple range now… so have unearthed these choices. Will be using for work also, but I tend to play on 2D classic with around 100,000 players loaded, albeit more recently only been loading leagues from the country I’ve been managing in. Any advice on this one at all?

https://amzn.eu/d/5FOie2S

https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/Acer-Nitro-5-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3050-156-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-NHQFJEK007/p/465337

The Amazon one is more laptop for your money, but then the GPU is overkill for FM, even in 3D

20 minutes ago, Gangor said:

The Amazon one is more laptop for your money, but then the GPU is overkill for FM, even in 3D

Thanks for the prompt response. For whatever reason I’ve been pretty much limiting my search to i7-12 series CPUs, particularly when there is only a £40 price difference in the i5 version of the Acer Nitro linked in the previous post. But is there any value to be had elsewhere with going for an i5 CPU instead of an i7?

Edited by kerrdavidson95

1 hour ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

Thanks for the prompt response. For whatever reason I’ve been pretty much limiting my search to i7-12 series CPUs, particularly when there is only a £40 price difference in the i5 version of the Acer Nitro linked in the previous post. But is there any value to be had elsewhere with going for an i5 CPU instead of an i7?

CPU is more important for FM. A modern i5 will be fine for FM, but the i7 ought to be better. AMD equivalents are also worth considering. 

6 hours ago, Matty89 said:

Hello

Getting a backup gaming laptop to mainly play fm24 while I'm away from holiday and I'm not great at laptops so just want to check if this will run fm24 fine

I do sometimes play in 3D aswell 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3268753?clickSR=slp:term:gaming laptop:3:31:1

Yep, that'll be fine.

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

Yes.

What about the cpu would it take a while to process between dates

I usually only have a few leagues loaded bit all the players will be loaded from the game

1 hour ago, Matty89 said:

What about the cpu would it take a while to process between dates

I usually only have a few leagues loaded bit all the players will be loaded from the game

It's a decent CPU, so it'll fare better than a lot of others will!  I think you'll struggle to find better for the price.

23 hours ago, kevhamster said:

It's a decent CPU, so it'll fare better than a lot of others will!  I think you'll struggle to find better for the price.

Thanks for the help mate

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for a bit of advice, my MSI laptop is coming to the end of it’s journey and I need a new laptop to run FM23. I have 5 leagues loaded with only the English league as playable, a large database and I still watch the games on 2D.

i have a budget of around £1250 and I just want something that’s gonna be quick as possible in moving the game along and hopefully will be able to continue being used for the next 5 years. 

Apart from FM I don’t have any other games or intent to do anything with the laptop apart from the occasional internet browsing.

Any advice would be really appreciated! 

Thanks in advance! 

5 hours ago, JoshBMufc said:

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for a bit of advice, my MSI laptop is coming to the end of it’s journey and I need a new laptop to run FM23. I have 5 leagues loaded with only the English league as playable, a large database and I still watch the games on 2D.

i have a budget of around £1250 and I just want something that’s gonna be quick as possible in moving the game along and hopefully will be able to continue being used for the next 5 years. 

Apart from FM I don’t have any other games or intent to do anything with the laptop apart from the occasional internet browsing.

Any advice would be really appreciated! 

Thanks in advance! 

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/medion-erazer-defender-p40-17.3-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-4060-1-tb-ssd-10247970.html

FM20 (?!) Laptop?

I appreciate I'll be a bit off the wall here, but bear with.

I've just recently got back into FM, having been turned off by the hugely complicated later versions of the game (xgoals?! etc). I've gone back to FM20, the last one I really enjoyed. Problem is my newer computers (with Windows 11) have a lot of trouble playing it (my older ones managed no problem) and the 3D match play is very annoying. Really would have thought modern PCs and laptops would be up to it. Clearly the problem is the graphics cards. I'm not much of a tech wiz, and google searches for laptops with Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or equivalent don't produce much joy. The computers that were recommended for FM20 at the time will be long gone by now. 

Since this would be used almost entirely just for FM, I don't want to break the bank for it. Can it be done for around £250 or less? Any suggestions for specific models, or just advice for searching would be much appreciated. Refurbished etc would be fine.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, AlfyDoor said:

FM20 (?!) Laptop?

I appreciate I'll be a bit off the wall here, but bear with.

I've just recently got back into FM, having been turned off by the hugely complicated later versions of the game (xgoals?! etc). I've gone back to FM20, the last one I really enjoyed. Problem is my newer computers (with Windows 11) have a lot of trouble playing it (my older ones managed no problem) and the 3D match play is very annoying. Really would have thought modern PCs and laptops would be up to it. Clearly the problem is the graphics cards. I'm not much of a tech wiz, and google searches for laptops with Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or equivalent don't produce much joy. The computers that were recommended for FM20 at the time will be long gone by now. 

Since this would be used almost entirely just for FM, I don't want to break the bank for it. Can it be done for around £250 or less? Any suggestions for specific models, or just advice for searching would be much appreciated. Refurbished etc would be fine.

Cheers

Any computer which can play the newer games should have no problem with FM20.  What's the spec of your existing computer?

If you don't know how to get this, run dxdiag.exe and provide screenshots of what comes up as this will show the specs of your existing computer.

Any computer which can play the newer games should have no problem with FM20.  What's the spec of your existing computer?

If you don't know how to get this, run dxdiag.exe and provide screenshots of what comes up as this will show the specs of your existing computer.

Hi

This is my desktop, which was never that great, though it's 2 y/o refurbished

Time of this report: 2/4/2024, 18:44:34
             Machine name: DESKTOP-2AMCEF1
               Machine Id: {94AC5787-33C0-4D31-AF65-51F59580A309}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
             System Model: OptiPlex 7010
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/22/18 14:01:32 Ver: A28.00  (type: BIOS)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16268MB RAM
                Page File: 22806MB used, 42614MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
 DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.3636 64bit Unicode

This is my newest laptop

Brand Lapbook
Model name S15 N2 512GB
Screen size 15.6 Inches
Colour Silver
Hard disk size 512 GB
CPU model Celeron N4020
RAM memory installed size 8 GB
Operating system Windows 11
Special feature Webcam, Light Weight
Graphics card description                Integrated

15 minutes ago, AlfyDoor said:

Hi

This is my desktop, which was never that great, though it's 2 y/o refurbished

Time of this report: 2/4/2024, 18:44:34
             Machine name: DESKTOP-2AMCEF1
               Machine Id: {94AC5787-33C0-4D31-AF65-51F59580A309}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
             System Model: OptiPlex 7010
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/22/18 14:01:32 Ver: A28.00  (type: BIOS)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16268MB RAM
                Page File: 22806MB used, 42614MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
 DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.3636 64bit Unicode

This is my newest laptop

Brand Lapbook
Model name S15 N2 512GB
Screen size 15.6 Inches
Colour Silver
Hard disk size 512 GB
CPU model Celeron N4020
RAM memory installed size 8 GB
Operating system Windows 11
Special feature Webcam, Light Weight
Graphics card description                Integrated

The desktop would be OK, but not great.

The laptop however is the issue here.  An Intel Celeron CPU is only really any good for light internet usage.  Anything gaming wise is going to be a struggle for it.

You will really need to look at the refurb market to get to the kind of budget you're wanting.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-dell-latitude-7420-core-i5-1135g7-8gb-256gb-14-inch-windows-10-tr-158-300/version.asp is a good spec, but only has a 30 day warranty.

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-11th-generation-core-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-15-6-fhd-screen-laptop?_pos=16&_fid=f5ca8fe6f&_ss=c This one is the same CPU but is £300 - but does offer a 12 month warranty.

Edited by kevhamster

The laptop however is the issue here.  An Intel Celeron CPU is only really any good for light internet usage.  Anything gaming wise is going to be a struggle for it.

You will really need to look at the refurb market to get to the kind of budget you're wanting.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-dell-latitude-7420-core-i5-1135g7-8gb-256gb-14-inch-windows-10-tr-158-300/version.asp is a good spec, but only has a 30 day warranty.

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-11th-generation-core-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-15-6-fhd-screen-laptop?_pos=16&_fid=f5ca8fe6f&_ss=c This one is the same CPU but is £300 - but does offer a 12 month warranty.

Great, thanks.

So I really need something like an Intel Core i5 processor? Maybe the likes of this? https://recommerceit.co.uk/products/dell-latitude-7480-i5-6300u-2-40ghz-16gb-256gb-ssd-windows-10-pro?currency=GBP&variant=47254045229370&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=30721c626cdb&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAiP2tBhBXEiwACslfnq78BRfvG3911TFW1EwT2XUbCDCVNfSMyfE9qy1GMktS3BtSjdJ6XBoCJjYQAvD_BwE

Not necessarily this exact model, but equivalent? 

9 minutes ago, AlfyDoor said:

Yes, you'd ideally want an i5 or a Ryzen 5, but a newer model than that if you can.

The one you've linked is a 6th generation i5 which came out in 2015, and the one I linked was 11th generation and came out in 2020 and there's a significant difference in performance between the two.

3 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Yes, you'd ideally want an i5 or a Ryzen 5, but a newer model than that if you can.

The one you've linked is a 6th generation i5 which came out in 2015, and the one I linked was 11th generation and came out in 2020 and there's a significant difference in performance between the two.

Many Thanks Kev!

On 04/02/2024 at 19:08, kevhamster said:

Have gone for the £300 one, Will let you know! Many Thanks for your help. Much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, AlfyDoor said:

Have gone for the £300 one, Will let you know! Many Thanks for your help. Much appreciated :)

I hope they have pre-installed Windows for you given they don't provide a licence. If not you'll need to get a friend to put the installation image on a thumb drive for you