FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. 

Thanks for your dedicated work, really appreciate it!

I'm still running FM 21 on my MacBook pro from 2012, but the processing time is getting slower and slower. 

So I've been thinking about getting a new laptop mainly to play FM on since for all the other work the MacBook's still fine. 

I'm using a realme Smartphone, so I've been anticipating their first laptop which just got presented today. So I'd like to ask if you'd recommend buying it, or if there are better, cheaper options available.

Here's a link for the specs:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Realme-Book-Slim-with-3-2-2K-display-launched-with-Intel-11th-gen-Tiger-Lake-Core-i3-and-Core-i5-options-introductory-prices-starting-from-44-999.555886.0.html

I'm looking at the i5 option with 8 GB of RAM (since 16 isn't necessary if I've understood your opening post right!?). It's said to cost somewhere between 600-700€, so that would be my budget tho I'd prefer to buy a cheaper option if it has similar or even better specs.

Hope you guys can help me out!

Thank you very much in advance :)

7 hours ago, Celo385 said:

Hey guys. 

Thanks for your dedicated work, really appreciate it!

I'm still running FM 21 on my MacBook pro from 2012, but the processing time is getting slower and slower. 

So I've been thinking about getting a new laptop mainly to play FM on since for all the other work the MacBook's still fine. 

I'm using a realme Smartphone, so I've been anticipating their first laptop which just got presented today. So I'd like to ask if you'd recommend buying it, or if there are better, cheaper options available.

Here's a link for the specs:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Realme-Book-Slim-with-3-2-2K-display-launched-with-Intel-11th-gen-Tiger-Lake-Core-i3-and-Core-i5-options-introductory-prices-starting-from-44-999.555886.0.html

I'm looking at the i5 option with 8 GB of RAM (since 16 isn't necessary if I've understood your opening post right!?). It's said to cost somewhere between 600-700€, so that would be my budget tho I'd prefer to buy a cheaper option if it has similar or even better specs.

Hope you guys can help me out!

Thank you very much in advance :)

If it's the i5 version, that seems to be a reasonable price. If it's the i3 version, I'd say no. 

1 hour ago, ANDY319 said:

I’m looking to buy this laptop for playing Football Manager 2021 and previous editions of the game. Is this a good laptop for playing Football Manager games ??

4955C324-A43F-4CCA-B494-6377941108F1.jpeg

At that price, it's a fantastic deal.  Go for it.

9 hours ago, middleweight165 said:

Hey @kevhamster

Theres a couple of laptops for around £500 that have been discussed here recently, the MSI posted above by another user and the Medion you posted on the previous page.

Which one do you prefer?

Thanks!

I can't remember the spec of the Medion, but I would doubt that it tops that MSI one for £500.

Hi @kevhamster @Smurf you guys are very dedicated to helping everyone on here so just wanted to start with saying thanks for everything you're doing!

I've got a bit of a different query from those I've read before... My existing laptop is a 2-in-1 and I have become very accustomed to flipping the screen and using in tablet mode on the touch screen as well as just in the standard setup. I don't use my laptop for any gaming, except for FM which I got hooked on 6 months ago and it's clear my current one can't handle the games demands. It gets very hot during 3D games (min settings) and the fan makes a lot of noise running at max constantly in game. Anyway, as a result I've decided it's time for a significant upgrade, but would like to get a new 2-in-1 if it's an option.

I'm not confined on a budget too much providing the laptop is then good enough to last for years to come (Happy to go cheap and move on after a couple of years, or push into the £1-£1.5k if it will remain relevant for 5+ years) . I have found these 2 below on Box but can't help feeling I'd be paying way too much for the inside spec:

NX.C5HEK.001, Acer ConceptD 3 Ezel Intel Core i7 | Box.co.uk

UM462DA-AI017T, ASUS ZenBook Flip AMD Ryzen 7 16GB | Box.co.uk

I've noticed you propose this as a great performer for the money before and I would consider but just reluctant to no longer have that touchscreen...

Buy MSI GF63 15.6in i5 8GB 256GB GTX1650 Gaming Laptop | Gaming laptops | Argos

All in all I'm just going in circles trying to decide what approach to take and hoping for a nudge in the right direction as to which approach to take. Are one of the 3 options above great to go for or have you come across a better one that I've missed in my searching?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Heey guys, 

After 8 years my laptop screen died out of know where so the last 48 hours i googled like a crazy person for a nee one. 

BUT its hard i only planning on playing FM and watch stream apps like netflix and Disney plus. 

I ONLY play FM TOUCH AND dont use the 3D or even 2D im oldskool playing way back from 92!!!!!! So only the news bar is fine with me. BUT i always play with 8 leagues or so and on touch you cant thick “view only” 

Im thinking of an i5 or razen 5 

8gb RAM

AND Using the intergradet gpu

And then an ssd of 256 or 512

like the Lenovo IdeaPad 3

You guys have any tips or hints? 
My budget is 600 euro.

Edited by jeroenknook

Hey folks; looking at getting a tower PC for my brother who works as a teacher. He likes to play FM every now and then so figure this would be a good place to ask, but it's not a huge priority to be able to run all the leagues and so on - just something that can run it. He's not using anything super intensive either, mostly just Spotify, Google Drive, etcetera. With a budget of £300, what's the best place for me to be looking? Somewhere like Currys? Likewise if anybody has any recommendations at the price point it'd be much appreciated

18 hours ago, mlg2907 said:

Hi @kevhamster @Smurf you guys are very dedicated to helping everyone on here so just wanted to start with saying thanks for everything you're doing!

I've got a bit of a different query from those I've read before... My existing laptop is a 2-in-1 and I have become very accustomed to flipping the screen and using in tablet mode on the touch screen as well as just in the standard setup. I don't use my laptop for any gaming, except for FM which I got hooked on 6 months ago and it's clear my current one can't handle the games demands. It gets very hot during 3D games (min settings) and the fan makes a lot of noise running at max constantly in game. Anyway, as a result I've decided it's time for a significant upgrade, but would like to get a new 2-in-1 if it's an option.

I'm not confined on a budget too much providing the laptop is then good enough to last for years to come (Happy to go cheap and move on after a couple of years, or push into the £1-£1.5k if it will remain relevant for 5+ years) . I have found these 2 below on Box but can't help feeling I'd be paying way too much for the inside spec:

NX.C5HEK.001, Acer ConceptD 3 Ezel Intel Core i7 | Box.co.uk

UM462DA-AI017T, ASUS ZenBook Flip AMD Ryzen 7 16GB | Box.co.uk

I've noticed you propose this as a great performer for the money before and I would consider but just reluctant to no longer have that touchscreen...

Buy MSI GF63 15.6in i5 8GB 256GB GTX1650 Gaming Laptop | Gaming laptops | Argos

All in all I'm just going in circles trying to decide what approach to take and hoping for a nudge in the right direction as to which approach to take. Are one of the 3 options above great to go for or have you come across a better one that I've missed in my searching?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Both of those touchscreen models are seeing you pay a huge premium for the touchscreen.

For the first one, where you're paying nearly £1,700 for the touchscreen model, you can basically get the same spec in a standard laptop for £900: https://www.box.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-7-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-512_3557429.html

The ASUS touchscreen one I wouldn't bother with at all to be honest.

If you really want a touchscreen, this is probably what I would go for and at £900 is a lot less money: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-14-7415-14-2-in-1-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10229443-pdt.html

It doesn't have the dedicated graphics card of the first one you posted, but the integrated graphics in this one is more than strong enough for FM and should manage higher graphics settings for FM21 (maybe not everything max, but definitely will allow settings at the higher range).  In terms of the CPU, it rates quite closely to that more expensive one on the benchmark sites and notebookcheck.com actually places it a little higher.

Or, if you'd prefer to pay a little less for something which is still very capable, this is another good option: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-x360-14-2-in-1-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10222240-pdt.html

I think the key thing is you need to decide whether you want to go for a 2 in 1 with a touchscreen, or whether you're happy to go with a traditional type machine.  If you decide on the 2-in-1, then I'd suggest one of the ones I've linked so you're not overpaying for what you need.  If you do decide to go with a traditional configuration, let me know and what sort of money you want to spend and I'll look at recommendations for you.

14 hours ago, Tilling said:

Hey folks; looking at getting a tower PC for my brother who works as a teacher. He likes to play FM every now and then so figure this would be a good place to ask, but it's not a huge priority to be able to run all the leagues and so on - just something that can run it. He's not using anything super intensive either, mostly just Spotify, Google Drive, etcetera. With a budget of £300, what's the best place for me to be looking? Somewhere like Currys? Likewise if anybody has any recommendations at the price point it'd be much appreciated

With that budget, you're better off looking at refurb models.

This will do a job if you're happy with lower graphics settings on the 3D match engine: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-acer-veriton-x-vx2665g-core-i5-9400-8gb-256gb-windows-10-pro-de-a1-dt.vseek.003/version.asp

17 hours ago, jeroenknook said:

Heey guys, 

After 8 years my laptop screen died out of know where so the last 48 hours i googled like a crazy person for a nee one. 

BUT its hard i only planning on playing FM and watch stream apps like netflix and Disney plus. 

I ONLY play FM TOUCH AND dont use the 3D or even 2D im oldskool playing way back from 92!!!!!! So only the news bar is fine with me. BUT i always play with 8 leagues or so and on touch you cant thick “view only” 

Im thinking of an i5 or razen 5 

8gb RAM

AND Using the intergradet gpu

And then an ssd of 256 or 512

like the Lenovo IdeaPad 3

You guys have any tips or hints? 
My budget is 600 euro.

I'm not sure where you're based, so if you can provide some links to the top electronics stores from your country where you could buy laptops, I'll take a look and see what I could recommend for you.

Hi, looking for a little bit of advice.

I currently have a laptop which I'm happy with, I literally only play FM and DayZ on it. I'm looking to get a desktop soon, mainly for BF 2042 alongside FM and DayZ. I'm more or less set on going with an RTX 3060 or 3070, my question mainly is does the amount of cores (6 or 8) matter much for FM? I know its kind of an open book question considering all other components but it'll help decide on which processor to go with in my price up.

15 hours ago, aRj00 said:

Hi, looking for a little bit of advice.

I currently have a laptop which I'm happy with, I literally only play FM and DayZ on it. I'm looking to get a desktop soon, mainly for BF 2042 alongside FM and DayZ. I'm more or less set on going with an RTX 3060 or 3070, my question mainly is does the amount of cores (6 or 8) matter much for FM? I know its kind of an open book question considering all other components but it'll help decide on which processor to go with in my price up.

More cores and threads are generally better, but not all CPU's are equal.  Battlefield games have had a tendancy to be quite CPU intensive so go with as good as you can afford I'd say - if you're playing Battlefield games then I'd be inclined to base the specs I go for on that than FM, as it's going to be more intensive all round than FM is.

@kevhamster

Im looking into UPGRADING my PC to AMD Ryzen.

i got a gtx1660 graphic that i want to keep using. And and SSD 512.

i mostly play FM and assassin creed type, no multiplayer of games. What do you guys suggest as and CPU, motherboard and RAM. 
Im not the guy thats gonna overclock or something. 

i also have a laptop with Ryzen 5 5500u and 8gb where i also play on FM. 

im pending on Ryzen 5 3600x and 5900x my budget is around 500 euro. Or should i look to Ryzen 7? I have stuff to stream so maybe from time to time i like doing that.

36 minutes ago, jeroenknook said:

@kevhamster

Im looking into UPGRADING my PC to AMD Ryzen.

i got a gtx1660 graphic that i want to keep using. And and SSD 512.

i mostly play FM and assassin creed type, no multiplayer of games. What do you guys suggest as and CPU, motherboard and RAM. 
Im not the guy thats gonna overclock or something. 

i also have a laptop with Ryzen 5 5500u and 8gb where i also play on FM. 

im pending on Ryzen 5 3600x and 5900x my budget is around 500 euro. Or should i look to Ryzen 7? I have stuff to stream so maybe from time to time i like doing that.

Ryzen 5 3600 is a solid workhorse CPU.  I have it in my PC and it's excellent.

This mobo will do the trick with it: https://www.ebuyer.com/1139022-msi-b450-tomahawk-max-ii-atx-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max-ii

And you'll want to pick up 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM for it.

If you can pick up a Ryzen 7 5700G though within budget, that would be even better.  You may be able to get a B450 mobo which will support it though (sometimes these will need a BIOS update to include compatibility for the newer Ryzen CPU's).

Important.  With Ryzen CPUs, always go for dual channel RAM configuration.  So, if you want 16GB RAM, get 2x 8GB sticks rather than 1 16GB stick.  Ryzen CPUs will not work to their optimal performance with only one stick of RAM.

Edited by kevhamster

Hi,

Im looking to buy a new laptop.  It'll be used mainly for FM.  I have been using a 9 year old laptop recently so anything will probably be an upgrade.

My budget is about £300.  I really don't know what to look for in a laptop.

If someone could recommend one for me it would be appreciated.

Cheers

On 06/08/2021 at 09:18, kevhamster said:

I can't find anything in the brand new market I can recommend.

The best I can find is this refurbed model https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/s340-15api-5/

I would suggest taking the option of upgrading the RAM to 8GB.

Thanks for the reply. This laptop is out.of stock so I have posted another message.

Cheers

5 hours ago, kevhamster said:

This mobo will do the trick with it: https://www.ebuyer.com/1139022-msi-b450-tomahawk-max-ii-atx-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max-ii

If you can pick up a Ryzen 7 5700G though within budget, that would be even better.  You may be able to get a B450 mobo which will support it though (sometimes these will need a BIOS update to include compatibility for the newer Ryzen CPU's).

Important.  With Ryzen CPUs, always go for dual channel RAM configuration.  So, if you want 16GB RAM, get 2x 8GB sticks rather than 1 16GB stick.  Ryzen CPUs will not work to their optimal performance with only one stick of RAM.

Oke Ryzen 5 3600 is good enough? Or you mean the 3600X?  I now have set eye on the 5600X

i dont like doing a bios update so i think im then better of with an B550 like the asus prime its 100 euro. 

13 hours ago, jeroenknook said:

Oke Ryzen 5 3600 is good enough? Or you mean the 3600X?  I now have set eye on the 5600X

i dont like doing a bios update so i think im then better of with an B550 like the asus prime its 100 euro. 

I have the 3600 and it's excellent.  There's only a marginal difference between the 3600 and 3600x based on the benchmark sites.

The 5600X would be better though if you can get it within your budget.

18 hours ago, Weekeebz86 said:

Thanks for the reply. This laptop is out.of stock so I have posted another message.

Cheers

Ok, there's really not a lot right now.  The best I can currently see is this: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/dell-latitude-3490/ which you have the option of upgrading to 8GB RAM, but this does knock it a bit above the £300 mark.

It'll work, but most of what is within that budget is pretty weak.

4 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Ok, there's really not a lot right now.  The best I can currently see is this: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/dell-latitude-3490/ which you have the option of upgrading to 8GB RAM, but this does knock it a bit above the £300 mark.

It'll work, but most of what is within that budget is pretty weak.

Thanks for the help man

Hi guys, I want to buy a new laptop as the current one is getting on a bit now. My budget is approx £750 but I could stretch to £1k if necessary. I'll mainly be using the laptop for Football Manager and surfing the internet / watching youtube. I don't know much about laptops unfortunately which is why I'm here asking for advice because the last time I bought a laptop I asked the sales guys at the store what they would recommend and I'm not really pleased with the results. In terms of what I'd like the laptop to be able to do; If I could run a good amount of leagues (7-15 leagues from about 5 different countries) with a quick processing speed that would be great, graphics aren't all that important as I will probably use 2D graphics with maybe 3D replays, and a big screen (currently have 15.6inch) would be lovely. Cheers for the help - looking through the thread you guys seem to be absolute lifesavers for a lot of us!

1 hour ago, ow25 said:

Hi guys, I want to buy a new laptop as the current one is getting on a bit now. My budget is approx £750 but I could stretch to £1k if necessary. I'll mainly be using the laptop for Football Manager and surfing the internet / watching youtube. I don't know much about laptops unfortunately which is why I'm here asking for advice because the last time I bought a laptop I asked the sales guys at the store what they would recommend and I'm not really pleased with the results. In terms of what I'd like the laptop to be able to do; If I could run a good amount of leagues (7-15 leagues from about 5 different countries) with a quick processing speed that would be great, graphics aren't all that important as I will probably use 2D graphics with maybe 3D replays, and a big screen (currently have 15.6inch) would be lovely. Cheers for the help - looking through the thread you guys seem to be absolute lifesavers for a lot of us!

This is hard to beat in terms of value for money - excellent CPU, the graphics card is more than enough to play full 3D if you want to and a good amount of storage with the 512GB SSD.  Plus, it's well within your budget as well: 

https://www.box.co.uk/39P48EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-ec1002na-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3561212.html

And, I'd always be wary of taking advice from the people selling the products as you never know what they're being pushed to sell.

14 hours ago, kevhamster said:

This is hard to beat in terms of value for money - excellent CPU, the graphics card is more than enough to play full 3D if you want to and a good amount of storage with the 512GB SSD.  Plus, it's well within your budget as well: 

https://www.box.co.uk/39P48EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-ec1002na-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3561212.html

And, I'd always be wary of taking advice from the people selling the products as you never know what they're being pushed to sell.

Mate, thanks so much. Saved me hours of searching and trying to understand jargon that I will never fully get my head around! 

On 01/09/2021 at 16:29, kevhamster said:

I can pick up a Ryzen 7 3700x would that be even better right? Should i run more competitions that way? Or is a 5600x better? They are the same price. Om going with a gigabyte B550 motherboard any advise on RAM? Wich manufactur? And or type? 

7 hours ago, jeroenknook said:

I can pick up a Ryzen 7 3700x would that be even better right? Should i run more competitions that way? Or is a 5600x better? They are the same price. Om going with a gigabyte B550 motherboard any advise on RAM? Wich manufactur? And or type? 

Both the R7 3700X and the R5 5600x seem to score quite similarly - some benchmarks favour the 5600x, some favour the 3700x so it's hard to say which is the better of the two.  The 3700x has more cores and threads (8 cores, 16 threads, compared to the 6 cores, 12 threads in the 5600x).  Either will do a very good job.

If I was to choose, I'd probably go for the 5600x - there was quite a jump in single core performance from the 3rd gen to 5th gen Ryzens, and this article does suggest that the 5600x does see a boost in gaming performance over the 3700x: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-vs-ryzen-5-5600x-which-one-is-better-for-gaming/

In terms of RAM, I can't fairly advise on a specific manufacturer as I don't know enough about the differences between them.  Just look at the reviews and make your choice from there.  Just go with 3200MHz at least of DDR4 RAM and make sure you buy 2 sticks of RAM rather than 1, as Ryzen CPUs see a performance hit if running with single channel memory.  So, if you want 16GB or RAM, buy 2x 8GB sticks and not 1x 16GB stick.

5 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Both the R7 3700X and the R5 5600x seem to score quite similarly - some benchmarks favour the 5600x, some favour the 3700x so it's hard to say which is the better of the two.  The 3700x has more cores and threads (8 cores, 16 threads, compared to the 6 cores, 12 threads in the 5600x).  Either will do a very good job.

If I was to choose, I'd probably go for the 5600x - there was quite a jump in single core performance from the 3rd gen to 5th gen Ryzens, and this article does suggest that the 5600x does see a boost in gaming performance over the 3700x: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-vs-ryzen-5-5600x-which-one-is-better-for-gaming/

In terms of RAM, I can't fairly advise on a specific manufacturer as I don't know enough about the differences between them.  Just look at the reviews and make your choice from there.  Just go with 3200MHz at least of DDR4 RAM and make sure you buy 2 sticks of RAM rather than 1, as Ryzen CPUs see a performance hit if running with single channel memory.  So, if you want 16GB or RAM, buy 2x 8GB sticks and not 1x 16GB stick.

Ow wauw youre a Legend man! Thnx. 

Hi @kevhamster, been reading the thread and you seem like the man who can help me.

I've got a desktop that I want to upgrade to something new. And I want to purchase a laptop too.

For both, playing the current FM and the next 1 or 2 releases is important. I'd enjoy top performance in terms of processing speeds.

Also, I'll use both devices for work, which involves using Microsoft Office and Google Chrome with several tabs on the go at once.

I'm looking for great performance primarily. Potentially a bit of future proofing.

On my budgets, the best way to describe it is that I can stretch to what I need to. But I don't want overkill.

So, for both, if it can run FM 21, 22 etc. blazing fast. That'd be spot on. I won't be using either device for any other games at all.

A couple of recommendations for both would be perfect. 

Thanks and sorry for the long winded post :)

Edited by Mattyboii87

27 minutes ago, Mattyboii87 said:

Hi @kevhamster, been reading the thread and you seem like the man who can help me.

I've got a desktop that I want to upgrade to something new. And I want to purchase a laptop too.

For both, playing the current FM and the next 1 or 2 releases is important. I'd enjoy top performance in terms of processing speeds.

Also, I'll use both devices for work, which involves using Microsoft Office and Google Chrome with several tabs on the go at once.

I'm looking for great performance primarily. Potentially a bit of future proofing.

On my budgets, the best way to describe it is that I can stretch to what I need to. But I don't want overkill.

So, for both, if it can run FM 21, 22 etc. blazing fast. That'd be spot on. I won't be using either device for any other games at all.

A couple of recommendations for both would be perfect. 

Thanks and sorry for the long winded post :)

Desktop: https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/amd-am4-gen3-pc/0HP0kpS4DR/

Laptop: https://www.box.co.uk/30029490-Medion-Erazer-P10-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM_3554490.html

If those are too much in terms of cost (as both are quite pricy, but at the same time offer good "bang for buck"), then certain things can be scaled down to make the overall cost a bit lower.  Or indeed, with the PC, you could ramp it up with a Ryzen 9 5900x which is getting close to absolute max performance as things stand, but it is an extra couple of hundred quid and I'm not sure how much extra performance you'd get from it over the CPU I've selected which is still an exceptionally strong choice.

Edited by kevhamster

43 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Desktop: https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/amd-am4-gen3-pc/0HP0kpS4DR/

Laptop: https://www.box.co.uk/30029490-Medion-Erazer-P10-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM_3554490.html

If those are too much in terms of cost (as both are quite pricy, but at the same time offer good "bang for buck"), then certain things can be scaled down to make the overall cost a bit lower.  Or indeed, with the PC, you could ramp it up with a Ryzen 9 5900x which is getting close to absolute max performance as things stand, but it is an extra couple of hundred quid and I'm not sure how much extra performance you'd get from it over the CPU I've selected which is still an exceptionally strong choice.

Thanks I'll take a look.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice currently have a gaming laptop acer nitro 5 runs fm21 great but was looking to upgrade to a gaming pc desktop for the same purpose fm and possibly some Xbox game pass games as well just looking for ideas and to be point in the right direction 650 700 price?

Hi Kev, I've been following this thread for a while but I'm still unsure what to get. 

If you could help me I'd be eternally grateful! 

I'm looking for a new laptop, it will be used for work (lots of excel sheets/sql scripts/photoshop) and FM. 

I'd like to be able to run lots of leagues and I usually play 30+ seasons in a save so the game gets chonky. 

Also the laptop can't look like a gaming laptop in any way because the Mrs will kill me as she hates them (don't ask) and will have to use it quite often. 

Size should ideally be 14 inch, but 13 or 15 wouldn't be a deal breaker. 

Budget is around £1000-1200 but flexible if necessary. 

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by nestorZ

On 06/09/2021 at 10:21, William1985 said:

Just wondering if anyone has any advice currently have a gaming laptop acer nitro 5 runs fm21 great but was looking to upgrade to a gaming pc desktop for the same purpose fm and possibly some Xbox game pass games as well just looking for ideas and to be point in the right direction 650 700 price?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-pcs/lenovo-ideacentre-5i-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-super-512-gb-ssd-10225946-pdt.html

14 hours ago, nestorZ said:

Hi Kev, I've been following this thread for a while but I'm still unsure what to get. 

If you could help me I'd be eternally grateful! 

I'm looking for a new laptop, it will be used for work (lots of excel sheets/sql scripts/photoshop) and FM. 

I'd like to be able to run lots of leagues and I usually play 30+ seasons in a save so the game gets chonky. 

Also the laptop can't look like a gaming laptop in any way because the Mrs will kill me as she hates them (don't ask) and will have to use it quite often. 

Size should ideally be 14 inch, but 13 or 15 wouldn't be a deal breaker. 

Budget is around £1000-1200 but flexible if necessary. 

Thank you in advance! 

Are backlit keyboards out of the question?

50 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

Hi Guys

I have a desktop pc at the moment.

it has a amd athlon 3000g processor with radeon vega graphics 3/50ghz.

Is there a laptop than will run faster and better than this for say £700?

Yep https://www.box.co.uk/1D5F9EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-ec1008na-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3554471.html

9 minutes ago, nestorZ said:

I think that should be fine, as long as the laptop looks "regular" while closed :lol:

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/elimina-ii-15/!dVfTHfh5m/

I've configured it with 32GB RAM as I'm not sure how heavy the Photoshop work you're looking at is - if it's lighter Photoshop work, reducing it to 16GB could well be enough.

I've struggled to find anything suitable at 14", so this one is a 15.6" screen.

It has a backlit keyboard but looks much like a regular laptop with the lid closed in my opinion.

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/elimina-ii-15/!dVfTHfh5m/

I've configured it with 32GB RAM as I'm not sure how heavy the Photoshop work you're looking at is - if it's lighter Photoshop work, reducing it to 16GB could well be enough.

I've struggled to find anything suitable at 14", so this one is a 15.6" screen.

It has a backlit keyboard but looks much like a regular laptop with the lid closed in my opinion.

Thanks, that looks very very nice. 

She might object a bit to the larger screen but hopefully it'll be fine. All the specs look on point, this would be perfectly fine for what I need.