How much does a player think he is worth?

If I reject a bid for a player and he's not entirely thrilled with my decision, he may approach me to ask exactly what my mental defect might be.

And I may politely reply that the stack of cash being offered is more in line with a request to hire the the Reserve team's clubhouse for a Country & Western evening than to sign one of my better players.

And he may ask what kind of fee I feel is suitable to sell him and... frankly, I've got no ****ing idea.

So what does a player base the fee that he thinks he's worth on? Given what some of my bunch suggest at the moment, I'm thinking that the much-dismissed "Valued at _____" plays quite a large part.

Spoiler

'cos from my perspective, a striker with more than twenty clubs interested in him who can score 34 goals in 33 games, including Champions League matches, is worth at minimum £10m. But the guy I just agreed to sell seemed to think that £4.6m was asking way too much for him. And yet his "Valued at _____" showed a shriveled and flaccid £2.3m. 

I try to be a 'nice' manager, so I sold him for ~£5m + 15% of next fee and, for the record, he's got 5 goals in 8 Champions League games for his new club. So he's not actually **** either.

You, as Manager are driving this conversation, so the figure you put forward should be the minimum fee that you would consider to sell him.  Whatever you suggest he wont agree for sure, but this is really an argument that you shouldn't lose.  Be prepared to walk away if you don't get what you want

9 hours ago, Snorks said:

I've always found, in these conversations, something near the 'value' the game gives the player and he will accept.

This is my finding as well. Sadly it rarely correlate to the actual sale value of the player. 

9 hours ago, Baodan said:

This is my finding as well. Sadly it rarely correlate to the actual sale value of the player. 

I'm not sure what the 'actual sale value' would be though. How do you arrive at that figure?

The 'sale value' is what another club is prepared to pay for him. 

3 hours ago, Snorks said:

I'm not sure what the 'actual sale value' would be though. How do you arrive at that figure?

I know what he means. You can have a 21 yr old wonderkid still only "valued" at 30 mill or whatever it might be. In reality any team with him on the books will be looking for 80 million plus. It's impossible in FM to convey that to the player. It's either agree to sell him for a fraction of his actual worth, or risk upsetting him and ALSO selling him for much less. 

I've found that most players will be 'happy to stay' after a few weeks or months, if you keep rejecting bids. And the ones that don't, they get nervous in matches, often play sh*te, so those  you have to sell, or sometimes you can loan them out and they've forgotten the gripe on return.

11 hours ago, Snorks said:

The actual sale value is what your experience in-game tells you is realistic to demand for the player.

I often find this frustrating too tbh.  Especially in the lower leagues when a bigger club unsettles a star player and then you end up battling to get a decent value for him, whilst trying to allow him to join the bigger club, because you don't want the rest of the team to kick off if you don't allow him to leave!!!

It's for this reason I have started to add buy out clauses in my contracts.  At least then you can use the "you have a release clause in your contract" option, and this usually (not always) leaves the player happy.  Although, there is an odd promise that gets added that you will accept any bids that meet the release clause... as if there is an option not to.

It can bite you though if the player's value quickly increases beyond the clause e.g. if you get promoted.  It would be nice if you could add clause that deactivates or inflates upon promotion, because I don't think you can, but I am more than happy to be corrected on that.

Clauses can only be time based in FM as far as I know (and if you really want you can somewhat cheese this by setting a short contract length, which allows you to cancel the release clause within a couple months, lock that date and then increase the contract length again, can work if a player demands a release clause but leaves you some negotiation room) so yeah, different conditions for clauses would be a nice feature for future FMs.

As for what players consider their own value, well lets face it, it's never enough. :lol:

It becomes especially obvious with young players from small nations where the player is valued at like 70k, you receive offers with 6 zeroes and the guy goes "well an acceptable fee would be 100k". Unfortunately players don't have memory in that sense, so you can't point out that you received offers that were far higher than what he considers fair or sold similar players for those kinds of fees in the past.

Haven't worked with release clauses much this year, so not sure how they react to those, but from my experience in past FMs whenever you pointed out that they had a release clause and the bidding should match that clause they just gave you the finger and were like "well that was then, this is now, so sell me this instant!". As for the promise, I'm guessing it's for offers that don't trigger the clause as they're not a single up front payment, but still reach the value of the clause through installments and other bonuses.

I like to think of it as a combination of how much would the AI charge me if I was trying to buy the player and how much I think he is worth should I be buying him.

I’ve sold one of my strikers, whose value was showing as £6.75 million for £80 million this week. Lots of interested clubs and lots of rejected bids but I stuck to my valuation and eventually the AI agreed to it (albeit amortised across 48 months and add ons).