Assistant Manager AI contradicts himself regularly

So while I'm in a match, I have my tactic set and I'm doing a more direct passing gameplan.  During the game my Asst Manager says we should do more shorter passing.  So I change it, 5 minutes later he says we should switch to a more direct passing.  And the cycle goes on and on and on.

So I reloaded my save and this time I starter out with shorter passing and he immediately says change it to direct.

It's like he doesn't know what he's doing at all or the AI is so bugged that it's insane.

So I did another test and used the editor and made his attributes 20's and he did the same thing.  Kept switching advice on me back and forth.

What is going on with the Assistant Manager AI?

3 minutes ago, Linus_Shepard said:

Its always been like that for me. Dosent matter what the assman have as his pref style, he will always recomend the opposite to what we are doing.

So is there any reason really to hire an Asst Manager then?  He's kind of a waste of salary.

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

This has always been an issue, so as always, the best advice is to treat the AM advice as only a guideline and action it only if it makes sense

It has, and it's a shame - personally, I'd love it to be a more active part of the game: hunting down the right assistant manager and coaches, so that it has some bearing on the game. But I guess it would need such a sea-change in the game that it would be unfeasible. 

26 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

Just treat your Ass Man as a parrot on your shoulder in-match. Nothing he says has any relevance whatsoever. 

That's how I see it. Player x knocks a long ball forward - AM is in my ear going "told you we should've played short", and vice versa. The data analyst feature is cool, and the AM feedback is hard to find and hardly relevant (although it is nice to know that my new signing thinks my 800 appearance skipper is a nob). I imagine, after much of the overhauls in this edition - the delegation and such - this will be a particular feature of "21. Does anybody actually employ a top star AM anyways? I always bring in/promote a club legend or my favourite player from a hundred clubs ago

With the game getting better and better every year and Quality of Life improvements are getting more important because the most big features are already implemented, this might be one of the working points for next editions, updating the AM to make him behave more realistic, less contradictory, and more useful in general.

19 hours ago, gavinski33 said:

Does anybody actually employ a top star AM anyways? I always bring in/promote a club legend or my favourite player from a hundred clubs ago

That's what I do, wherever possible. I've never felt the 'benefit' of having a top class Ass Man so might as well fill the position sentimentally.