Costs of Trial vs Scouting?

I'm coaching a poor small club with limited scouting staff and resources. I'm scouting for players, and can invite them for trials or scout them.

It seems that trial invitations are immediate (the player comes over the next day), whereas scouting my take one week (or game) or more.

Is it possible to see how much a trial invitation (per week) costs to my club? And the cost of scouting one player in my country? If so, where in finance please?

Which are the pros/cons of trial versus scout, at least from a financial/cost point of view?

Thanks,

Not sure a trial costs anything extra- you aren't paying the player and they simply join in with training that's already 'paid for'.

Scouting does incur costs though - I use the trial system a lot, it dos save money. I'm not sure of any added benefit to it though,  I think after a week's trail you would have similar knowledge of a player, and your coaches/Assistant Manager would need the JCA and JPA attributes  to match the scouts to make a fair comparison.

I think the only cost incurred by trials relates to coaching resources. Trialists occupy your coaches in training. So it's possible your contracted players' training results may be adversely affected by their presence. 

On the other hand, everyone outside of my senior squad is pretty much garbage anyway, so I don't care. I just move trialists to the U-23s, where they may detract from the team's training outcomes, but at least I don't care about the affected players.

18 hours ago, Snorks said:

Not sure a trial costs anything extra- you aren't paying the player and they simply join in with training that's already 'paid for'.

Scouting does incur costs though - I use the trial system a lot, it dos save money. I'm not sure of any added benefit to it though,  I think after a week's trail you would have similar knowledge of a player, and your coaches/Assistant Manager would need the JCA and JPA attributes  to match the scouts to make a fair comparison.

Thank you. On trial, don't you have to pay for travel and accommodation? I think it may go reflected as "Travel Costs" under Expenditure?

I was wondering if there is a way to guesstimate the cost of travel vs scouting... 

I know a lot of the LLaMas use the trial offers as a low-cost scouting method. I have always treated them as 'free scouting' and never noticed any impact on club finances. (In FM18 I once had a close season with nearly forty trial-lists coming through my National League club - far more than I could afford to scout)

10 hours ago, WorcesterLegend said:

I would say trials are kinda free, perhaps one or two extra ticket for the bus that would cost the same as a ticket for a match in that level

If the player being invited for a trial lives in a different continent, somebody needs to pay for the air ticket and hotel, right?...

Well, the game is rather vague as to how that work, heck i have never knew who pays the transportation of a player once is getting a transfer to another team, im guessing the buying team, but trials for people abroad are 0 or almost 0 the only one i have read about was the history of how messi got to la macia, and even then in FM standards he was in a youth intake

From reading threads in previous versions of FM I came to the conclusion that there is no extra cost to the club’s finances no matter how many trialists you have. The number of trialists does, however, definitely have an impact on the effectiveness of your coaches. Just go to the coaching screen where you can see the coaches’ workloads.

I have been using the trial method for years in my lower league save. Yeah  I would say abused it. There should be a cost because it can be abused, but from what I have noticed I can’t see any significant increase.

What I have noticed in newer editions of FM is that your reputation affects whether they come for trial a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2019 at 03:44, Rashidi said:

I have been using the trial method for years in my lower league save. Yeah  I would say abused it. There should be a cost because it can be abused, but from what I have noticed I can’t see any significant increase.

What I have noticed in newer editions of FM is that your reputation affects whether they come for trial a bit more.

Thanks for your input, Rashidi. I also use trial invitations a lot but I find it quite unrealistic that no travel/hotel/visa costs to host the guest player are being charged to my club. This financial issue should be addressed by SI developers.

Is there a way to bring this issue to their attention? Thank you.

Edited by phd_angel
clarity

What I don't really get is why scouting a specific player within the scouting range should cost extra money (to the point of causing your package to get cancelled if you scout too many players).

I mean, while my scout is touring the country for players, why shoud it cost extra to tell him "while you're in that area, take a look at John Doe playing for Hopless FC"?! It may take a few extra days to wait for the scout to be in that place during his trip, but why the extra cost?
I'm not telling the Scotland scout to go see a guy in Finland or to drop everything and drive to Cornwall for a Div 7 game...

• 10 months later...

There is (at least) one downside of getting players for trial. They count as former players of your club... maybe that has implications in the match engine, and the player is more motivated to score against you!.

I have also observed that if you manage to get a player for trial that you really intend to sing, he asks for lower wages while he is trial.

• 2 weeks later...

And there is a pesky bug related to trials. Trial players that you later sign won´t earn any milestone or achievement such as best player of the year, top goalscorer, or winner of league X or cup Y. Probably this impacts the value of the players. Totally bugged!