• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone wanting to join the mini league I have for Fantasy F1....the link is below

Play the redspottedhanky.com Fantasy GP Game at Fantasy F1 and I bet that my team, Crash Bang Grosjean, will beat any team you can put together!

Join my mini-league if you think you've got the best GP brain! Go to the game at Fantasy F1 and go to 'Register to Play', pick your team, then use the Mini-League admin option to join my mini-league.

The details you need are:

League Name:

Take the First Corner

League password:

sausagepir

It's simple and FREE – plus there are some fantastic prizes to win! Join my mini-league now and put your skills to the test!

Lucky you!

Quick announcement, gentlemen: I'm getting on a plane on Thursday and flying to the East Coast for a week in Washington, Philadelphia and one of my favorite historical places, the battlefield at Gettysburg. I'll be checking in as I can, but I'm going out there for a week with my son before he joins the Army in the summer. You guys behave yourselves.

Carry on :)

Lucky you!

Quick announcement, gentlemen: I'm getting on a plane on Thursday and flying to the East Coast for a week in Washington, Philadelphia and one of my favorite historical places, the battlefield at Gettysburg. I'll be checking in as I can, but I'm going out there for a week with my son before he joins the Army in the summer. You guys behave yourselves.

Have fun, and I wish your lad all the best for his time in the Army.

Doesn't seem to be open to non-UK folks though. :(

I emailed the runners of the game and they said anyone in the world is allowed to join the League but only UK based players are eligable to win the prizes...Try joining again as the League took awhile to get going as I hadnt entered the Activation code...also check youy span email box as the code to activsate your team gets sent there sometimes

Lucky you!

You're leaving us with Gav? Oh boy...

Have fun mate. :)

I emailed the runners of the game and they said anyone in the world is allowed to join the League but only UK based players are eligable to win the prizes...Try joining again as the League took awhile to get going as I hadnt entered the Activation code...also check youy span email box as the code to activsate your team gets sent there sometimes

OK, managed to get my team in. Team Top Gear is go! :D

Very sad to see my footballing hero retire but it was inevitable really. Constantly injured and rarely gets a game these days. Will always remember him for his Liverpool days and the hat trick against Germany. thanks for the memories Michael.

Ah Venky's

They make Terry Smith seem just a little bit derranged....urm, actually no they don't. If you want to see truly clueless football owners in action then read this rather excellent rant by a Chester fan on the Toffeeweb website http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/01-02/comment/misc/chester-city.asp

The whole Appleton sacking just highlights how pathetic the situation has become in regards to managerial sackings. 103 Managers have lost their jobs in 2012-13 which is just... incredible, and goes to show that owners of clubs have -no- footballing mind and just care about how much money the club is making. Whilst that's an understandable thing to do, you can't just have that attitude. Owners needs to start realising that what's best for the club isn't always what's best for the books.

The whole Appleton sacking just highlights how pathetic the situation has become in regards to managerial sackings. 103 Managers have lost their jobs in 2012-13 which is just... incredible, and goes to show that owners of clubs have -no- footballing mind and just care about how much money the club is making. Whilst that's an understandable thing to do, you can't just have that attitude. Owners needs to start realising that what's best for the club isn't always what's best for the books.
I think that figure includes coaches and assistant managers.

I seem to recall BBC article that mentioned the 103, went on to say that there had been 31 managerial casualties within the 92 clubs of the Football League.

Is anyone really surprised by what happened? Didn't watch the race though have seen the obvious highlight of it. It clearly shows that Vettel really wants that 4th world title, if that had happened with maybe 4 or 5 races to go I don't think there would be this uproar except if he was fighting Webber for the title. From a racing perspective he did what any natural racer would do. Schumacher and Senna would have done the same. Why should he just coast behind Webber for the rest of the race? From another perspective it's clearly unsporting and selfish what he has done. Is he really sorry about it? I doubt he is that sorry about it.

I think it's getting blown out of proportion a bit. Nothing serious happened from it though there could have been a crash like Turkey 2010. If say the same had happened at Williams would there be this press reaction? I doubt it. It's only because it has happened to Webber again except this time Red Bull didn't authorize it.

Here is what I've woken up to:

That's worthy of my part of the world. A proper winter storm!

My vacation in Washington saw some snow too, which is too bad since i was hoping for warm weather. Haven't gotten it yet but have seen lots of Smithsonians!

I don't understand it. But then I don't follow F1 at all.

Is he not meant to win the race?

I'm baffled.

Short answer: Yes.

To summarise, Webber was leading Vettel (by a lot) with about 15 laps to go. Red Bull ordered both cars to 'tune down' to save fuel and power from their engines, and not over exert themselves (there is a rule that says a team can only use 8 engines a season, so saving themselves is understandable). Webber followed orders, Vettel did not.

Vettel then decided "Screw you mate" and passed a slowing Webber against his team's orders, nearly causing a crash. Naturally, Webber was clearly displeased, and so was the team.

salkster, yes, you can say that is the mark of a winner, but for me F1 is also as much about the team than the individual. Without Red Bull Vettel would definitely not have had the success he has achieved thus far. What happened was a massive betrayal of trust, and I find it doubtful that he and Webber can have a proper working relationship from henceforth.

I have no doubt that Webber would have been able to compete with Vettel if they were allowed to go racing. But Vettel openly defied orders to pass a teammate who had gone into car-saving mode, leaving Webber pretty much defenceless. That is as low as you can get IMO.

salkster, yes, you can say that is the mark of a winner, but for me F1 is also as much about the team than the individual. Without Red Bull Vettel would definitely not have had the success he has achieved thus far. What happened was a massive betrayal of trust, and I find it doubtful that he and Webber can have a proper working relationship from henceforth.

I have no doubt that Webber would have been able to compete with Vettel if they were allowed to go racing. But Vettel openly defied orders to pass a teammate who had gone into car-saving mode, leaving Webber pretty much defenceless. That is as low as you can get IMO.

I agree Vettel would not be where he is without Red Bull. Part of the problem is I think Vettel has more of a free reign with Red Bull than Webber so he gets away with these sort of things. Was reading the blog on the BBC site about the transmissions between Red bull and Mercedes. Ross Brawn gave a clear instruction to Rosberg to not pass Hamilton. Red Bull did not and from what Horner said to Vettel "Come on this is getting silly" just about sums it up. It was like giving a naughty child a slap on the wrist. Have Vettel and Webber ever had a working relationship?

I think a lot of people have lost respect for Vettel because if they did that at work they would get the sack. Will that change if Vettel allows Webber to win a race later in the season? Probably, but I can't see Vettel doing that.

The cricket was magnificent. I went to bed after that braindead moron Bairstow finally got himself out, assuming that we'd lost. And while it was a magnificent effort, the hyperbole from pundits and reporters today has been sickening. This was not Monty's most important innings/over/ball. 69 balls with Jimmy Anderson at the other end against Australia far outweigh 19 balls with Prior sat on a century at the other end on a strip you could land aircraft on and a part-time offspinner bowling.

The formula one was less magnificent. Unfortunately, and as much as I am a fan of the sport, it is ultimately a bodge of a sport, and there are times where the conflict of the team sport vs the individual sport comes into play. At Mercedes, Rosberg asks if he can fight for 3rd, and gets told in no uncertain terms by Ross brawn that he can't. Vettel seemed to just go ahead and do it, and gets told he's a bit silly. A comparison I read elsewhere is that Ross Brawn is the headmaster, while Horner is the art teacher

One thing that's been lost in all this is the reason why Vettel was behind Webber in the first place, and it was his own poor decision making back in the first half dozen laps of the race. I don't think I've ever seen the race leader being the first to jump onto dry tyres and I've got no idea why he took the gamble rather than just waiting and covering off everyone else

Well, I think this year in the AFL it will be one of the closest yet, a lot of the teams have a good chance of beating anyone on the day and its probably more likely to happen this year. At the early stage of the season, you could probably say that anyone of 10 teams have a good chance of making top 4. and the final placings (top 8) will be contested by around 13 teams.

In alphabetical order:

Adelaide: Finished 2nd last year, but they will fall this year as I believe the other teams have improved more and they have slightly declined. They will rely on Tex Walker this year and have a very good midfield, Thompson, Dangerfield, Jacobs, but Essendon showed if you can close them down, then you can win pretty easily even in Adelaide (Massive home grown advantage) They lost Tippet this year to Sydney, which has seen a lot of controversy, Tippet and Adelaide were also fined and Tippet was suspended for 12 games for salary cap rorts. I can see Adelaide dropping out of the 8 this year even though they finished 2nd last year. (Experts do not share my opinion) They do have a good draw though they only play 3 of last year finalists twice and none of them were in the top 4.

11th

Brisbane: Finished 13th last year and was one of the big improvers they have a good core of young players coming through and have Jonathan Brown up forward and Merrit down back, they just won the NAB Cup (Pre-season Cup) and did so in Melbourne against a reasonably highly rated team. Most people have them there abouts in the 8 but if you look at round 1 in the real season you see why so many people don't hold any value to the Pre-Season cup results, Western Bulldogs just smashed Brisbane in the first game.

13th

Carlton The big conundrum this year, new coach Mick Malthouse takes over from Brett Ratten and he is expected to be able to lead them to a premiership, they have a good team, midfield is fantastic - Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazo, Kruezer but they lack the imposing forward and rely a lot on the smaller forwards and this isn't really how Malthouse likes to play. Some experts are saying it may take 6 months to get the new game plan right, I hope they are right, because I hate Carlton!! They have a real tough run to start so it will be interesting to see how they start, they could be 0-5, they will get better as the season goes on though and have a good draw where they only play 2 teams out of the finals twice

9th

Collingwood: Will be top four again this year and one of the favourites for the flag, they are pretty consistent across the board have great depth for most positions, Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas, Cloke are very good players and they have picked up Lynch from West Coast (much better player than Dawes who left) Young from Hawthorn, Russell from Carlton. Another year under Buckley (Coach) and they have strengthened the team. Lost Wellingham (West Coast) Tarrant retired so a lot will depend on how well they defend.

1st

Essendon: These guys have had the offseason from hell, the drug agency here in Australia is investigating the team after some supplement issues (Essendon asked for itself to be investigated after it found irregularities) All the players have been put through the ringer and we still do not know what is going to happen. None of the players have tested positive to anything though. It's a big year for the club though if they can put them emotions aside and concentrate on the football, the past two years they have made great starts only for injury to hit and they die in the arse rather badly. Were 10-3 last year before losing 8 out 9 to finish 11th. They have a good list, midfield looks stronger with Watson (Brownlow medalist) Hocking, Heppell, Goddard (Big free agent signing) Bellchambers they have a good spine as well, Hurley, Crameri up front with Ryder and down back Fletcher, Carlisle. If they get it right and have less injuries, dont get players suspended (Drug investigation) then there is no reason why they can't challenge for a flag, its a very big if though

7th

Freemantle:

Ross Lyon's second year and you know they will improve a lot, they defend very well and they have a good list and playing in WA gives them a big home advantage, Sandilands (ruck) is out for awhile but they can cover, their midfield is strong Fyfe, Crowley, Mundy and they have two good wingman, Hill and now with Pearce only one will probably get shut down leaving the other to run riot so to speak. Need another big year from Pav but will be there abouts this year, one of the favourites for the premiership.

2nd

Geelong: Perhaps the greatest side ever, but that time has gone, or has it, no one really knows and its sort of write them off at your peril. They lost Scarlett this year and a couple of mid range players but they have got Rivers (good defender) Caddy (good young midfielder) McIntosh (Ruckman) this year, Caddy and Rivers will be important, McIntosh if fit as well. They have improved and a few of the younger players have gotten better, still top 8 for me, still very competitive and they have the experience in finals to give it a very good shake

6th

Gold Coast: A lot of improvement needed this year, their CEO reckons that they will win a premiership in 3 years, big call, not one that many think they have a chance at doing though. They have the best player in the game playing for them though Ablett is a class above most if not all and the players although young are getting games and progressing, in 3 years the core of the team will have 60-100 games in them which is what the experts consider to be the time the players have learned what they need to and can now deliver what is promised.

For me they will win games here and there, they won 3 in the first and second years, so will be hoping for 6 or 7 wins this year and trying to run games out better. They showed (Round 1) that they can beat the mid range teams at home so its a danger game to travel to Queensland if you are not on your game.

14th

Greater Western Sydney (GWS): In Theory they have a better list that Gold Coast but a year is a long time in football, this year they will be more competative for longer periods in the game but dont expect to much from them yet. They have some very good high quality players in their side that just need time, I think they will a premiership before GC but then I'm no expert. Patton, Cameron, Whitfield, Scully, Treloar and a host of other will have this team in good stead for the future.

17th

Hawthorn: Hawthorn have what many think is the best list, however it has been struck by injury to lots of key players, in particular the running half back sort, Suckling, Whitfield all out long term, the lost Gilham, Young who were cover to these positions in trades and free agency. The saga going at the moment might come into effect as well, Lance Franklin putting off contract talks to the end of the season means the team will be subjected to what Collingwood had last year with Cloke. They have a good team, but injuries can hurt you and they have a tough draw. I think they will still have a good year but it will be interesting and they have come back to the pack I think with their list, they do get Brian Lake a key defender who they think has been the missing link for them in defence.

4th

Melbourne: Not much to say about Melbourne, they are a crap club, that will have a crap year, the team that tanked Monday to Thursday, but didn't tank on matchday will finish bottom for me.

18th

North Melbourne: The young players have developed and they will be keen this year to make a mends for the finals catastrophe of last year when Freo smashed them, they group has improved and the middle tier of players have gotten better, they do however have what many consider to have the toughest draw this year with two games against the top 4 sides. Its going to be a tough year for them but I still think they will do well.

8th

Port Adelaide: Another team that will struggle this year as they rebuild, they have a better list than Melbourne however and new coach Ken Hinkley will get them competative.

16th

Richmond: God knows what Richmond will produce this year, but anything other than finals will be seen as a failure, they have an emerging midfield group that is one of the best in the league, Cotchin is a tipped as a future Brownlow medalist, they have topped up their list with a lot of mid range players which will give them depth which might see them make the transistion needed. Jack Riewoldt will kick many goals for them and will need to for them to make the 8. They also have a pretty good draw so no excuses this year for the tigers, they need to deliver. I have them 10th because they always fail and until they prove themselves they will always been seen as under achievers, they could however finish top 4.

10th

St Kilda: I think they will struggle this year, as seen by the defeat to Gold Coast, they lost a few players, Goddard is a big blow and they haven't really got anyone, to few will need to do to much and they dont have the cattle anymore. Nick Riewoldt is still one of the best in the League but he wont be able to do it all.

12th

Sydney Swans: Its funny how they get written off every year but still make it, the reigning premiers have added Kurt Tippet but he wont be available until round 13/14 because of his suspension. They have a tough draw but have a good side, they will be slow early, they are a month behind everyone at the moment because of fitness (late start to preseason because of premiership win) but they will come home with a wet sail and never, never discount Sydney.

5th

West Coast: Decimated by injury at the moment will see them off to a slow start, but they have gotten back some great players who they missed last year, Kennedy, LeCras and a couple others will see them up there again. Western Australia has a good home advantage for them and teams find it hard to play at Subi and win. If they get over the injury problems (Naitanui, Kerr, Nicoski, Rosa, Wellingham, Embley and now LeCras (broken arm in round 1) then they will be top 4 again and a chance for the flag.

3rd

Western Bulldogs: A team in a rebuilding phase with Effort being the only thing that matters as a KPI, they will lost more than a fair share, some games they will get smashed, but no matter what they do they will still always be better than Melbourne. Cooney is supposedly getting back to near his Brownlow form which will help but not enough as they will struggle up forward.

15th

For those who are TL/DR

1st: Collingwood

2nd: Freo

3rd: West Coast

4th: Hawthorn

5th: Sydney

6th: Geelong

7th: Essendon

8th: North Melbourne

9th: Carlton

10th: Richmond

11th: Adelaide

12th: St Kilda

13th: Brisbane

14th: Gold Coast

15th: Western Bulldogs

16th: Port Adelaide

17th: GWS

18th: Melbourne.

The premier will most likely come from the top 5, but the season is so even that anyone from the top 11 could have a chance.

Anyone from 13th Brisbane could have a chance of making finals (Top 8)

14th GC to 17th placed GWS are all rebuilding for the future.

Melbourne are just a joke.

@10-3:

Hawthorn are a good team, with a good list, however injuries and losing some players to free agency has hurt their cause, they don't have the stand out list anymore and many think they have missed their window of opportunity.

They have recruited Brian Lake (Key Defender) which is what they sadly missed last year at times and Luke Hodge will be like a new recruit this year.

They still have their standout players, Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Roughhead, Franklin, Burgoyne, Rioli so they will be there abouts.

This week they play Geelong and have the Kennett Curse still in play, Hawthorn have not beaten Geelong since 2008 when they beat them in the Grand Final and Jeff Kennett made the statement that they had the wood over the Geelong side, they have since gone on to lose from some very unlikely situations.

Hope this covers most of it.

Thanks for the pre-season apraisal Pan,

Much as it pains me to say it but from my, admittedly uniformed, uk-based standpoint I'm seeing Hawthorn 1st, Colly 2nd, Geelong 3rd, West Coast 4th.

I would love it, LOVE IT (sorry went a bit Kevin Keegan there), if Geelong were Premiers this year, but I can't quite see it, and that's quite possibly through rose-tinted spectacles.

@10-3 Geelong will still beat Hawthorn though ;)

Pan, that's awesome. Thanks so much! A fun read on my Sunday morning! I'm really glad Fox Soccer Plus has picked up the AFL again in its programming, I really missed it. And I also enjoy watching the ANZAC Day game too. In terms of spectacle in world sport, it's vastly underrated and not to be missed.

And cf, the Cats are going down :)

Not long to find out, buddy, it's the Easter Monday game, kick off Aussie afternoon time I think.

This is true. We're getting the game on TV here and I've got my DVR set. All I need now is a Hawks replica and I'm good to go.

Archived