• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, gentlemen: I started to write my bits yesterday and just kept on going. WIth fewer categories up for award than normal, I wound up writing the whole thing myself. Call it my gift to you for being so busy this fall. So simply enjoy the ceremony tomorrow. The beauty of it is that you all can give me whatever boos, whistles and catcalls you like.

Kinda like the rest of my life. See you tomorrow at 8:00 p.m. GMT, which by my way of reckoning is 2:00 p.m. US Central time (GMT -6). Anyone who can help me make sure on that earns a gold star.

Enjoy the matches today, gentlemen.

Anyone seen Jay Rodriguguez's dive yet? Absolutely shocking to watch. Only topped by Rickie Lambert calling it a 'stonewall penalty' and Neil Adkins declaring it wasn't a dive! I hope Southampton get relegated. In fact finish bottom and don't pick up a point for the rest of the season. Disgusting.

I suspect it will get less column inches over the next week than a handball no-one can even be sure was deliberate

I suspect it will get less column inches over the next week than a handball no-one can even be sure was deliberate

Definitely.

Adkins could have sorted this by publically embarrassing Rodriguez, making him come out on camera to publically apologise and offer (knowing that the FA won't accept the offer...so a safe one) that the game be replayed. Until fans and managers stop the hypocrisy of when cheating is acceptable and when it's not they are all a pathetic embarrassment to be honest.

Instead Adkins comes out with what he did on MotD which imho is even worse an act that what Rodriguez did on the pitch. Embarrassing and would be laughable if it not might cost somebody a place in the PL at the end of the season.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but part of me would love it, just love it if exactly the same happens with Southampton being the victims on the last day of the season and as a result it sends them down. I believe in karma so hopefully it will. :D

Until fans and managers turn on their own nothing will change, they won't because they're blind when it's in their favour which is kind of sad.

/rant. :(

I suppose the thing that makes Rodriguez's worse than any of the Suarez/Bale/Young etc 'dives' is generally they're going at pace and anticipating contact from a defender lunging in. Rodriguez was barely moving.

On the other hand, I'd much rather Southampton stayed up than Aston Villa. Doesn't make it right though

Sturridge for me is the missing piece of the jigsaw that Liverpool have missed since the days of Torres. A striker with goalscoring instincts is what we have lacked for a few years now and I can't think of a Liverpool player over the past few years who would have made that poachers run for the goal. Disappointed we lost since it took us an hour to get going but the last half hour there were plenty of signs of the improvement under Rodgers.

Going to be a fun day here too. NFL divisional playoffs this afternoon. Seattle getting three points at Atlanta (a bet I would take) and Houston getting nine and a half at New England in the second game. I like the Texans but my head says the Pats will probably cover that spread.

Unfortunately, I've also got a migraine. This might make the awards a bit painful from my personal point of view :(

Amazing weekend, 10-3. The Saturday games were just insane, especially the opening 5 minutes of the Baltimore @ Broncos game.

Unfortunately I can't see the Ravens taking New England, though I would love to see Tom Brady slapped down and missing out on a chance at the Super Bowl. The 49ers game in the UK hasn't sold out yet, but I reckon there'll be a major run on tickets if they beat Atlanta, which I expect them to do.

What are your thoughts on Flacco? I was reading an interesting column this week about how it isn't necessarily the fact that he's inconsistent, but more to do with a lack of good receivers. After Saturdays game i'm more worried about the Ravens defence than Flacco's inconsistency, that punt return was embarrassing.

I think that observation about Flacco is pretty accurate and I also think the Ravens are a team greater than the sum of its parts. You really can't underestimate the importance of getting Ray Lewis back. They've been devastated with injuries, especially on defense, and in a one-off game you can't discount a veteran defense. Flacco is a good quarterback but with a nondescript receiving corps. Even one big time receiver would help but he finds a way to get the job done.

Some people are getting pretty sick of Belicheck and Brady and the Patriots, not the least of whom are the Ravens, who are getting a conference championship game rematch too -- something else you can't count out. I gave up on Seattle too early yesterday, as they came back and beat the spread and would have probably won the game were it not for the idiocy of their coach, Pete Carroll. If he takes the chip shot field goal in the second quarter instead of going for it on fourth and one, the Falcons are playing for a touchdown in the last minute instead of a field goal since they're trailing by four instead of by one at that point. And this 'icing the kicker' crap is right out of the movies. Most kickers are automatic from fifty yards and in these days, and the irony of the guy missing the first kick as Carroll was calling time out and then nailing his second chance was pretty profound.

I want to see the early point spreads, but my guts tell me to take both visiting teams, who will probably get points. I was two for two yesterday :)

I didn't manage to stay awake for the iced kick game, but I woke to a Twitter timeline of "It's missed!!!" and then a few minutes later "It's good!!!", which I thought was hilarious and served Seattle and Carroll right. I see there's a fuss about practice kicks during breaks in play now too. Not sure complaining about that works when you intentionally gave the kicker a practice kick, even if the kicker doesn't know that it's a practice kick.

Lewis back for the Ravens is massive, but the coverage in the Broncos game was really poor during the first half. Everything shifted right for the punt return and when it came to the opening TD I think I saw two Ravens on screen anywhere near the runner. It picked up in the second half and ended the game well, but poor coverage early on against the Patriots could see them build a decent lead early on and a big fighback is going to be a lot harder against New England.

I can't call the Ravens game, hopefully Ravens, but expecting a Patriots win. Otherwise I think the 49ers will have too much for the Falcons.

I was really looking forward to the Super Bowl, it's played on my birthday this year so was going to go to the Belfast Trojans Super Bowl party, but i'm in Manchester on training the next day and i'm going to have to try and avoid the score and then watch it on BBC iPlayer on Monday night. Gutted and will be even more gutted if the Ravens make it and I miss it.

Not sure complaining about that works when you intentionally gave the kicker a practice kick, even if the kicker doesn't know that it's a practice kick.

This is a great observation. I agree, in the main, with your observations. I'm ready for Bill Belichick and his hoodie to fall down a sewer grate someplace. Beyond annoying.

Definitely, with the way management is in England he wouldn't have lasted two minutes. Munich will provide him with the challenge he wants, without being to much of an effort.

I didn't see this one coming tbf. Will be interesting to see how it pans out and I'm not one of the "my granny could manage barcelona" brigade so do respect him. Not that he will care about my opinion either way funnily enough. :D

But Bayern have been a lot less tolerant of managers than 3 of the 4 English this year's champions league representatives have been so not sure on the "wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes".

It will be interesting to see what Abramovich now does at chelsea, that's for sure.

Install Benitez full-time? There's a good chance of that, particularly if they qualify comfortably for the Champions League and win the FA Cup. The press seems to think getting Jose back in is a go, but I'm not convinced as that would mean a huge back-down from Roman...which I just can't see him doing, that man's ego is just about as big as The Special One's!

The backlash of appointing him, and previously Grant, in the first place was huge. Not sure Abramovich cares, otherwise he'd give Lampard a contract and sack Benitez right now.

This. The man will do whatever he wants. Which is infuriating on one hand, but on the other hand we have to respect where he's taken us over the past decade or so.

I do, however, think he will go for Mourinho. It is said that the pair have been on talking terms for a while now and keep in contact and Mourinho left before he could win the Champions League with the club. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but it just makes sense to me.

I imagine Mourinho is top of the list and I think Chelsea would be his preferred destination over Man City.

Who else is there? Hiddink is going well at Anzhi and being paid crazy money, Capello has only just started into his stint with Russia, Guardiola is taken. Conte or Klopp, perhaps? Don't see that happening until either has had a decent run/attempt in Europe. Anything other than those mentioned would be massively leftfield. Of course there are other suitable candidates, but I don't see that happening.

Exactly, I don't see any other option come close to Mourinho. On some Chelsea fan sites there have been people saying that they would like to see David Moyes be given a shot, but I don't think Moyes would touch the job personally. He has thrived on stability - Chelsea would be the last place I'd expect him to find stability. Maybe Frank Rijkaard, seeing as he was sacked as Saudi Arabia manager yesterday? But that option would surprise me even more than Moyes. Mourinho just seems like the only logical option.

I haven't checked for a while but last I saw, he was struggling with Real on the domestic front. That's not a bad thing, from where I'm standing.

Well there seems to have been a few rants over Southampton after the Rodriguez dive and Luke hopes that they go down. Well I hope that they do go down now after sacking Nigel Adkins. The man has took them from struggling in League One, to JPT winners and 2 successive promotions into the Premier League and this is the thanks he gets. Not only sacked but then immediately replaced. Well done Southampton. Well f*cking done.

Definitely.

Adkins could have sorted this by publically embarrassing Rodriguez, making him come out on camera to publically apologise and offer (knowing that the FA won't accept the offer...so a safe one) that the game be replayed. Until fans and managers stop the hypocrisy of when cheating is acceptable and when it's not they are all a pathetic embarrassment to be honest.

Instead Adkins comes out with what he did on MotD which imho is even worse an act that what Rodriguez did on the pitch. Embarrassing and would be laughable if it not might cost somebody a place in the PL at the end of the season.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but part of me would love it, just love it if exactly the same happens with Southampton being the victims on the last day of the season and as a result it sends them down. I believe in karma so hopefully it will. :D

Until fans and managers turn on their own nothing will change, they won't because they're blind when it's in their favour which is kind of sad.

/rant. :(

I know I said I believed in karma, but a) didn't expect it to kick in that quick and b) I didn't want to see the guy sacked in these circumstances. Harsh. :(

If the Adkins sacking happened to somebody on FM, doing what he's done for Southampton in 2-3 years, it would be a 'bug' and rant-a-thead in GD here.

The sacking of Adkins is a sign of all that is wrong in English football and football in general at the moment, the man has taken Southampton from 22nd in League One, to the Premiership since being appointed in September 2010. They're three points clear of relegation in the Premiership at the halfway stage, they've only lost two in the last twelve and are playing well. This is an absolutely abysmal decision and I strongly hope now that Southampton go down, just to spite the board.

Two promotions, in the Premier League and clear of relegation, there is no justification for this, none whatsoever.

Two promotions, in the Premier League and clear of relegation, there is no justification for this, none whatsoever.

Agree. No justification for this at all. Coming from 2-0 down to get a draw at Stamford Bridge gets you the sack? Preposterous.

That's about the only explanation I can think of. Do we even know if this guy knows the Premiership? Other than it's in England, I mean? I know management is a high-pressure line of work but I just don't see a professional reason for this sacking other than 'the fix is in'.

Of course it was done before it was sacked. One quote says it all: "I know about the squad because I've been researching them for several weeks."

Very similar as to when Redknapp took over at Spurs from Ramos, all done in an instant, I feel very sorry for Nigel Adkins. The question like 10-3 says is how much he knows about the Premier League. Is he going to be able to sign his own players quickly? It's a massive gamble from Southampton and one I can't see much gain from. It's a massive road to success in this league and I can't imagine them having the resources for it. Where do the Southampton board think he can take them? All it takes is a few losses to go along that slippery road to relegation and that is oh so dangerous with QPR and Reading proving they aren't as dead and buried as first thought.

Anybody heard about the linesman that's been stood down from his duties this weekend? After the Arsenal - Man City match, as the City players came up to him and shook his hand, he said 'they've paid 62 quid, go and see them' in reference to the crazy prices the City fans had to pay to watch the game. The world of football is a crazy place.

Archived