[FM19] Grantham Town - From unplayable to Champions of Europe with only youth players? You must be crazy!

theBlackPrince

On 07/11/2018 at 00:36, MadCatPT said:

Good luck for tomorrow!

Thanks, it was just one game too much in a short space of time and they had a fullyrested squad! Disappointed but I didn’t think we would get promoted the way our form dropped st the end of season! Lessons learnt for when we get back there again!  

On 07/11/2018 at 03:58, abulezz said:

You really have a great, easy and fun to read format - awesome job with that!

Billy Ball was a special talent, so it sucks to see him go, but I believe you got a potential replacement in terms of influence on the pitch in Paddy Adcock - he looks like a 30 Goals a season kind of player!

Thank you glad the format goes down well! Yup Billy was a special talent and would have been a player who could have probably had his whole career here but there was no chance to sign him! Really hope paddy can bang in the goals as we really need that piece of the puzzle to really challenge for promotion!

On 07/11/2018 at 04:06, Motlhen said:

Awesome so far!

One thing that has helped me in the past is looking at the 'Clauses' section of the Transfers tab. Playing a dafuge-style challenge in fm18, my board managed to make a deal for a 40% sell-on clause of ~£1m with Leeds for my star striker that left after 18 months. This meant I didn't have to wait years for the potential of a transfer to profit from & the boost in finances helped me to upgrade facilities across the board, making the departure of my favourite player bitter-sweet.

Good luck for the play-offs :)

I didn’t even get a chance to negotiate they just offered him or I would have put a big sell on clause in there! Yup I’ve used that before to get money for players sold it’s pretty helpful in lower league saves!

19 hours ago, WillHoward42 said:

Can we see a screenshot of his attributes so far? Maybe a continual progression end of each season to see how he has developed?

Yup I’ve saved the screenshot of his last year and stats! To be honest he didn’t really do much in the Sunderland under 18’s but I’ll post up when home tonight! 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, abulezz said:

I would classify this as a successful season - if Ball was still around, I'm sure you would have challenged for Promotion.

How did he do in his first season away from the club? 

Yup highly successful, promotion was always a long long shot! The squad is coming together just need to bite the bullet and probably play players on Potential rather than current ability now to improve them, may mean a down year tho! 

Ill post Billy’s season stats tonight at Sunderland.

5 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

A good season overall.

Yup very good, can’t fault it at all! Still struggling tactically I feel, something to look at tonight before the new season! 

1 hour ago, DazRTaylor said:

Fantastic first ha;f of the season.  :thup:

Really was perfect, probably a little too good and setting ourselves up to fail now!

1 hour ago, Rikulec said:

Smashing start, hopefully you can keep it up!

I really hope so, Boston and Chester are big teams with a lot of money to spend compared to us so will be hard!

1 hour ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

How are you making so much money?

Friendlies at the start of the season and try and get a cup run to bolster the money coming in. Spend on wages in very very low as most are on youth deals still!

5 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Ben Smith!  13 finishing at that age, at that level...

I couldn't believe it when I saw it, however he hasn't been that impressive in the game yet and missed some sitters, but is young and started to score which is needed!

2 minutes ago, abulezz said:

I see Smith has already scored a few goals - how is Paddy coming along?

Yup, straight into the team, had to! Paddy really struggled, 5 in 14 (and 4 sub) but didn't make the position his. Was plenty of rotation up front all season!

10 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Well done!  After his performance in the final, Trevor will never again be referred to as a S*ithole.

It's what I thought the name had come through as when I first saw him.... crap name, crappy finishing stats (I think he is a 4 or 5) but still scoring goals! Go figure....

• 2 months later...
On 28/01/2019 at 22:02, Nobby_McDonald said:

Oh dear, that season didn't go well.

I had high hopes with the start of the season but we just didn’t have enough in the tank and the players just not good enough. A bitter pill to swallow. 

On 29/01/2019 at 13:46, HKunited said:

An amazing read! hopefully next season you can with league in style!

Thank you. Played the rest of the season last night so an update to come today!

Really struggled with the next season after going straight back down. Our keeper left us as he wouldn’t sign a new deal and just couldn’t get into the new season. Managed a good few hours last night and got into the flow again. Season completed, update to come later once it’s all put together....

Blackpool relegated to the Vanarama North and unable to get back out?! Wasn't that long ago they were in the Premier League. Looks like the Oystons are trying to do a dafuge challenge in reverse!

How's your squad looking compared with last time you went up? Perhaps the extra time for your players to mature has done some good

On 01/02/2019 at 13:38, numbas2 said:

Just read this through - as most have commented the way you have presented it is class. Well played so far such a difficult challenge but hopefully this season down will kick start and give you the momentum you need.

Thank you, I like this way to present, takes a while but feel it makes it stand out a little from others! I'll be honest, a couple of times I've almost thrown in the towel on this but a little break and head back and enjoy another season!

On 01/02/2019 at 19:04, Rikulec said:

Well done bouncing straight back up. :thup:

It was much needed for my sanity!!

23 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Blackpool relegated to the Vanarama North and unable to get back out?! Wasn't that long ago they were in the Premier League. Looks like the Oystons are trying to do a dafuge challenge in reverse!

How's your squad looking compared with last time you went up? Perhaps the extra time for your players to mature has done some good

Blackpool have really struggled, back to back relegations and will see if they can go back up anytime soon.#

I have only really lost the keeper from last time we was up and gained a few players so hopefully they should be a better team this time around.... 

11 hours ago, numbas2 said:

Four goals away to promotion chasing Macclesfield isn't too shabby!

Shame about the 6 we let in the other end, just couldn't stop the goals flying in.

22 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Well done going straight back up and staying there.

Thank you, was touch and go for a while!!

Archived