[FM19] Grantham Town - From unplayable to Champions of Europe with only youth players? You must be crazy!

theBlackPrince

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, numbas2 said:

Wow, very nice turnaround in fortunes! Tactic looks to be doing the business. Well played.

I'm not sure how, but something must have worked wonders with the new tactic. Proud of that one indeed!

1 hour ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Progressing very nicely.

It's starting to come together now which is nice and making me want to carry on, wasn't feeling it a few seasons ago!

hPz3m9v.jpg

Massive season, still can't quite believe it or how well the new tactic did, just how Trevor Sithole bagged that many goals with a finishing rating of 4, I have noooo idea. New stadium is nice, shame about the name and the capacity for all that outlay but onwards and upwards and paying it off for the next 10 years!

Great job going up to the Football League. Enjoy the commute to Lincoln.

Motivation can be strange. My last session I had a stinker in my save - winning only one out of eight games - yet I loved it and can't wait for the next one. That is probably because I don't get to play very often.

On 07/02/2019 at 22:55, Nobby_McDonald said:

Great job going up to the Football League. Enjoy the commute to Lincoln.

Motivation can be strange. My last session I had a stinker in my save - winning only one out of eight games - yet I loved it and can't wait for the next one. That is probably because I don't get to play very often.

Only a short drive away so no hardship there! Yep I agree, sometimes I can play the game for hours and hours other days I don't play at all. Definitely been a better last few seasons to keep it interesting now!

34 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

Ouch, poor Morecambe. You're looking good for safety. :thup:

Yup, I don't think I have ever seen a team do so badly.....

31 minutes ago, sourgrapes11 said:

Famous last words perhaps... One poor run of form would be all it takes

Loving the series theBlackPrince!

Thanks, and yup it's all gone to pot a little. Star striker breaks a leg in the Liverpool game and gone for season, other striker out for several weeks now and the team can't shift a virus! Testing times so let's hope we can pick up the points we need....

18 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

50 miles round trip. Not that short.

For Lincolnshire that's rather short!

4 hours ago, numbas2 said:

1.2m sweet potatoes :cool:

Yup, I was shocked when I saw the balance. I was gutted we didn't get them at home but when I saw that, hello!!!  53,009 fans x £47 = £2,491,423!! Half of that, happy days! Will be the aim going forward, focus on the FA Cup to get a big 3rd or 4th round game to pay for the season!

Gutting to lose Sithole- looks like he was on course for a 25 goal season minimum before LIverpool. Amazing he keeps scoring so many but I guess it just shows how lower league defences can't handle his 16 acceleration!

Nice work staying up; fingers crossed you can do it again for the first season in the new stadium! 10,000 expansion capacity will be enough all the way up to the Championship, maybe the next one will be the Charles Benjamin Arena?

On 13/02/2019 at 02:19, sourgrapes11 said:

Gutting to lose Sithole- looks like he was on course for a 25 goal season minimum before LIverpool. Amazing he keeps scoring so many but I guess it just shows how lower league defences can't handle his 16 acceleration!

Nice work staying up; fingers crossed you can do it again for the first season in the new stadium! 10,000 expansion capacity will be enough all the way up to the Championship, maybe the next one will be the Charles Benjamin Arena?

I still don't know how he is doing it but yup, I was gutted to see him go down for that long. As the clubs record scorer it is a shame as he is about maxed out on current ability so may not have many more season's before he won't get a starting role! The new stadium looks nice, will need that upgrade soon I'm sure and I really, really hope they do the good thing on the next stadium and name it after their Manager.....

On 13/02/2019 at 08:20, numbas2 said:

I'm amazed by the youth intake. Tasty!

I think the youth intake shows how poor the team was before hand when most of this years class is better than all the others. The jump to Established Youth Recruitment really has made the difference.

On 14/02/2019 at 12:46, numbas2 said:

:cool:

Amen, time to kick on and get some more played!

On 14/02/2019 at 14:23, abulezz said:

The move to the new stadium will go along way in helping your profits go up.  

That Intake looks absolute class - Kirk is going to help more than you can imagine!

With poor average attendances for the first 10 season's, going to need the extra support to pay for the wages going forward. Would like to see a good 2,000+ this season each game. The intake is really solid and can see most of this class being the players to take us up in a few season's time..... hopefully!

On 14/02/2019 at 20:50, Nobby_McDonald said:

Well done staying up Prince and good first match at the new ground.

Staying up was the only aim and so glad we made it. The new ground looks great, shame going to be paying for it for a long time!

• 2 months later...

After the board said "I backed them into a corner" in the first talks as I wanted the 3 year deal and £1,700 per week, they came back 3 weeks later and offered exactly that and I was pleased to secure a long term deal. Hopefully gives some breathing room incase there is a relegation this season!

VF0OJwq.png

Phew... You can't believe how much we needed this win after setting a club record 12 games without a win. Has been a tough run without a win and somehow even with 10 men we hung on for 30 minutes! Let's hope this turns our fortune around as I think we need 50 points to be safe. We currently have 40 with 15 games to go with the last 5 years needing 48, 46, 53, 50 and 47 points to be safe.

f8pxlzp.png

Absolutely fuming!!!!!!!! We have plenty in the bank but the chairman ripped one of my starlets out from under me for much less than he should have, luckily I always add loan back length, 50% sell on and arrange a friendly into any previous deals to stop the Chairman not adding these in. FUMING!!!!

fjZnEej.png

I then had to accept similar offers from Reading, Everton and Newcastle. Oh well, let's hope we get a decent youth to replace him in March but looks like keeping hold of players will be hard moving forward!

With offers then coming in from Derby, Wolves for £1,800,000 on the nose, no add-on's I decided to bump them up and see what we could get to! £2,000,000 with the usual clauses would be a nice jump up from origional bids and I'll push some more up if anyone else bids.

oEApWfT.png

Currently fending off interest for Jack Ward 31g and Peter Russell 31b. Let's hope I can keep hold of both of them and get this transfer window shut........

Well it didn't take long but least I got them up from offering £500,000 to hopefully £2,000,000 plus sell on. Again, not happy to lose a future star player but what can I do, we are a selling club.....

J3q9Mt6.png

Oh, and Pat Tomlinson 30d ended up going to Newcastle United (Made a change from Burnley). 

Great to see the return of Grantham! Gutting to see your best players picked off by higher division vultures - maybe if/when you reach the Championship you'll have more chance of holding on to them?

1 hour ago, sourgrapes11 said:

Great to see the return of Grantham! Gutting to see your best players picked off by higher division vultures - maybe if/when you reach the Championship you'll have more chance of holding on to them?

Great to be back after some time off and feeling refreshed again. I was angry at losing them with long term contracts left but the money is probably big for this level and I'll just invest in facilities. I don't think even getting there will help, our reputation is still very low and 5,000 seater stadium is not a huge draw. Just have to keep bringing in the youth prospects and re-build!

1 hour ago, WillHoward42 said:

Agree, happy to see this one back!

Good to be back, feel ready to get a few more season's in again now!!

July & August 2023

Really didn't expect this with losing some key players and only a few of the new intake on the fringes of getting game time, we started strong and just carried on playing well and winning. Dropping the higher defensive line must be working well as we have only conceded 4 goals in  7 matches and find ourselves unbeaten and at the top of the table. Under no illusion that we shall soon probably lose a few and head to mid-table, but for now, have to enjoy the start to the season! We even managed to stay in the Checkatrade & Carabao Cup with two penalty wins!

DFzYGwI.png

A surprising 4 point lead at the top of the table. Few injuries have crept in and then looking at it, haven't played a team in the top 6 yet and mostly teams in the bottom half of the table. Better not book that Championship Parade just yet....

ptGY1LX.png

A new star has risen? 

The move to playing AM (R) and AM (L) has given an opportunity to Dean Noble 29f which he previously had not seen the past few years as show by his appearances the last few seasons.

mvRaFRK.png

Already beating the last two years Player of the Match awards  (2 this year already) and with 5 goals and 2 assists in 7 games this season, he has been a vital player so far this season. With only 48 games the previous 4 seasons with 11 goals, he may score more than that in this one season alone.

yssmS37.png

aPgMhjl.png

Well... wasn't that a crazy shootout. Tense every single kick and just could not believe they was only 3 misses in 38 attempts! In the end, it was Sam Deakin 26a who would save a penalty then be called up to score his second one of the shootout to send Grantham Town through. From a terribly boring 0-0 draw to an epic shootout!

Incredibly, that's our 5th shootout of the year and our 5th victory..... I really hope we don't need another one soon as we must have used up all our luck now!

Archived