New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

55 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Looks quite good - you should be good.

Initial research leads to show that it's similar to an i3 processor - which for me is a "no" for football manager.

All I can suggest is waiting the 3 days until the demo is out and try it out. :D

Will have to give it a go.... interesting how different people accept differing qualities of running the game.  I'd have stayed away from an i3 had I known but 95% of the time it runs fine for a small, mobile laptop. Be interesting to see how much more demanding having 3D enabled will be, though i'll still be watching the 2D model.

Out of interest any recommendation for an upgrade, not too fussy on make but needs to be a multiuse model, not just gaming, and budget up to £400.

Thanks,

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Lone Gooner said:

Hi Smurf

Well I have about £1200 to spend but includes monitor as well. I was looking at a 1050Ti 4GB or 1060 3GB. Did look at some of the AMD cards is it better to go for Nvidia cards do you think? 

Thanks

Andrew

Top to bottom it goes

1060 6gb
1060 3gb
1050 ti 4gb
1050 2gb

1060 is a better card - slightly

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Will have to give it a go.... interesting how different people accept differing qualities of running the game.  I'd have stayed away from an i3 had I known but 95% of the time it runs fine for a small, mobile laptop. Be interesting to see how much more demanding having 3D enabled will be, though i'll still be watching the 2D model.

Out of interest any recommendation for an upgrade, not too fussy on make but needs to be a multiuse model, not just gaming, and budget up to £400.

Thanks,

Witha  budget of £400 I suggest saving more.

Hello Smurf,

I have decided to use a custom build site for my laptop and this is the spec I am nearly decided on.

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk
NOT REQUIRED
M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 1400MB/W)

Do you think this would be good enough for 3D Matches and a database of around 80,000 players with 10-15 leagues?

Is a 15'6 or a 17'3 better to play FM on? What would look better?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated!

I prefer 17 inch because I use my laptop at home, so it's a desktop replacement - which I don't bring with me everywhere.

15 inch I'd prefer if I had to bring my laptop places.

That laptop you spec'd is very good. 

How many leagues will it run - every computer can run every league and a large database.

I couldn't tell you how quick any computer is - it would be trial and error until you're happy with how quickly it's progressing. 

Hi all just building my new machine (well having it built), just wondering your thoughts.  I expect to be able to run lots of leagues and a reasonable database smoothly - But thought I'd check first:

coffee lake i5 8600k

gigabyte Z370 ultra gaming MB

gigabyte 1080Ti card

16gb RAM

SSD drives)

See how much the i7-7700K processor is

or the 7740x

The i5 8600k is good but it's not the fastest - certainly no issue with it other than the other two above would be better for FM.

1080TI card is top of the line - it's definitely overkill for FM - you could go the 1060 6gb - and that might move money around for the processor.

Lots of RAM - good!

SSD - good!

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

See how much the i7-7700K processor is

or the 7740x

The i5 8600k is good but it's not the fastest - certainly no issue with it other than the other two above would be better for FM.

1080TI card is top of the line - it's definitely overkill for FM - you could go the 1060 6gb - and that might move money around for the processor.

Lots of RAM - good!

SSD - good!

Ah I see. Thank you. I need the card as I also game in 4K when not playing FM :) processors are much of a muchness in price :).

i thought the coffee lake would be better all round for my gaming as it seems pretty good for my other graphic intensive games, with its 6 cores and the ability to over clock if I want.

I guess the i7 is the better option for purely FM as you say :) 

found out my i7 laptop is 2 ghz but can go up to 3.1GHz on turbo mode. it just doesn't run on full power when there's no need  to save the battery...  so does the laptop auto adjust to fm specs at 2.22 ghz or do i need to adjust settings on laptop .. thank you

Depending on the model - but technically - 2.0ghz is below the minimum spec.

Typically - a processor will go to the faster speed when it's needed - however, the hotter the processor gets the slower it will run, due to it wanting to keep cool.

Typically for FM the processor will get hot - which means it won't always get to 3.1ghz.

Lets face it - my car has a top speed of 240kph - but going up to 160kph is probably the max I can go until I need to slow down again back to speed limits of 120 or 80kph.

So in summary - you can get to 3.1ghz - but for safety reasons you'll probably stay around 2.0ghz.

So I’ve decided to get an Alienware R4. I’m choosing between 2 models. 

1st is on sale for $2479. I7-7820 processor, 32gb RAM, 256ssd & 1tb HD. NVidia GTX 1080 graphics card and a 17.3 QHD 2560x1440 120hz with g-sync 400-nits screen

2nd is on sale for 2190. I7-7820 processor, 16gb RAM, 256ssd & 1tb HD. NVidia GTX 1070 graphics card and a 17.3 QHD 2560x1440 120hz with g-sync 400-nits screen

i will use for FM18, civilization and sim games. My wife will use it for WoW, Starcraft, and games like that. I want to run FM with all countries and largest DB possible. 

Whats your opinion on which I should get. It more RAM and one step up graphics card gonna make a huge difference for my games? We are purchasing this as a laptop to last us a good 4-6 years, and want to play FM on it with max database for years to come. 

So I’ve decided to get an Alienware R4. I’m choosing between 2 models. 

1st is on sale for $2479. I7-7820 processor, 32gb RAM, 256ssd & 1tb HD. NVidia GTX 1080 graphics card and a 17.3 QHD 2560x1440 120hz with g-sync 400-nits screen

2nd is on sale for 2190. I7-7820 processor, 16gb RAM, 256ssd & 1tb HD. NVidia GTX 1070 graphics card and a 17.3 QHD 2560x1440 120hz with g-sync 400-nits screen

i will use for FM18, civilization and sim games. My wife will use it for WoW, Starcraft, and games like that. I want to run FM with all countries and largest DB possible. 

Whats your opinion on which I should get. It more RAM and one step up graphics card gonna make a huge difference for my games? We are purchasing this as a laptop to last us a good 4-6 years, and want to play FM on it with max database for years to come. 

Not sure where you're buying from but if you can get an i7-7700K that would be best for FM. 

Graphics card will be fine for FM - just make sure it's ok for your other games.

Typically over 8gb RAM is too much - you only really need 8gb - but if you get more there's no harm at all.

Well my latest laptop purchase ended in distaster,  it arrived faulty so sent it back and got a refund, so I am choosing another.  It was the Asus gaming laptop with the i5hq processor.  

What I want to know is how big a difference exactly is there between a hq processor and a u processor when playing FM?  I ask because my last laptop had a i7u processor and it ran FM fine, and I played all versions on that laptop from 12 through to 17.

Sometimes it would cut out when it got too hot but that was sorted when I bought a fan.  

Another daft question is do the laptops with HQ processors last less longer because of how powerful they run?  I don't want to be forking out for a new one every couple of years.   

I just want a laptop that will run FM well amongst web browsing and basic work stuff, and I want it to last me before having to buy another again years down the line. 

12 hours ago, JBoyd33641 said:

Smurf,

Why do you feel the i7-7700 would be better than the i7-7820? I thought I read that the 7820 was the newer Kaby Lake processor. 

Because it's faster. 

11 hours ago, samwilzrhcp said:

Well my latest laptop purchase ended in distaster,  it arrived faulty so sent it back and got a refund, so I am choosing another.  It was the Asus gaming laptop with the i5hq processor.  

What I want to know is how big a difference exactly is there between a hq processor and a u processor when playing FM?  I ask because my last laptop had a i7u processor and it ran FM fine, and I played all versions on that laptop from 12 through to 17.

Sometimes it would cut out when it got too hot but that was sorted when I bought a fan.  

Another daft question is do the laptops with HQ processors last less longer because of how powerful they run?  I don't want to be forking out for a new one every couple of years.   

I just want a laptop that will run FM well amongst web browsing and basic work stuff, and I want it to last me before having to buy another again years down the line. 

U processors are designed to underclock - run at the lowest speed to preserve battery power. 

HQ processors don't. 

If you want to buy a U processor - have at it - but anytime I am looking at laptops I can find that the person has linked to a U processor - however, when I look online, I can find a HQ processor, with similar other specs for the same price.

And if it's the same price you might as well go for the best for FM.

9 hours ago, acarloscc said:

@Smurfdon't know if this question was answered yet,  but what's your opinion about the sshd disks? 

the difference to the ssd will be that relevant in the game? 

thanks mate. 

I don't know as I don't have a SSD. There's conflicting reports on how the SSD helps with FM, it certainly won't help with day to day progression within the game, but it does help with the load/boot times of the system, and also saving the game might be faster - again conflicting reports.

A SSHD would simply be a HD with a SSD built in, hence the SSHD definition, and usually it's the OS loaded on it, so you quick fast boot times, and fast caching - but everything else is loaded from the HD.

For FM - is it important today? Probably not that important.

But who knows what FM will bring in 2 or 3 or 5 or 10 years time. 

12 minutes ago, Crassie said:

Hi smurf

i just found this one..

would this be good?

https://www.selexion.be/alfa-solutions-waregem/nl/hp-pavilion-15-cc511nb-hp-spectrum-sleeve-15-6-zwart/hp/1508506337557

thanks for your feedback

This is much better

https://www.selexion.be/alfa-solutions-waregem/nl/lenovo-ideapad-700-15isk-80ru0087mb/lenovo/1458048852143

Prices are quite high on that site

17 inch - much better overall spec - same-ish price

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-179586-1007-MSI-GL72-7QF-1007UK_2067944.html

This is very good 15 inch - £650

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.G66EK.004-Acer-Aspire-V15-in-Black_2095447.html

40 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Thank you for your feedback

The 1 I suggested.

Would it be good for fm 18?

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

I don't know as I don't have a SSD. There's conflicting reports on how the SSD helps with FM, it certainly won't help with day to day progression within the game, but it does help with the load/boot times of the system, and also saving the game might be faster - again conflicting reports.

A SSHD would simply be a HD with a SSD built in, hence the SSHD definition, and usually it's the OS loaded on it, so you quick fast boot times, and fast caching - but everything else is loaded from the HD.

For FM - is it important today? Probably not that important.

But who knows what FM will bring in 2 or 3 or 5 or 10 years time. 

thanks mate. you've just helped me choosing my next FM... work laptop. :D

i7 7700hq, 16GB ram, 1050ti (4GB), 1TB SSHD, 

10 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Someone asked me if this one (second hand) is good enough:

HP Pavilion G6 Core TM i7-3632 QM 2.2.0

Processor wise - it looks good - if not a bit old. 

What's RAM and graphics card like? 

40 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Processor wise - it looks good - if not a bit old. 

What's RAM and graphics card like? 

Intel (R) ? HD Graphics 4000 8 B RAM

sorry, it's 4000 not 400.

Hello smurf, first thing to say it's that you're doing a great work here. Now, my question; I'm finally looking for a new laptop and i'm looking to a couple of Dell laptops. Both have these specs, i7 7700hq, 16 gb ram, ssd+hd. One has a gfx 1050ti 4gb, the other has a 1060 6gb. I can buy the first for 1000 euros, the second is 150 euros more. Do you think they are good for that price? There will be a noticeable difference in game with the gfx 1060?

Good evening @Smurf .
Firstly, thanks for all of the help you've given everyone on this thread, I've read a lot of the pages and definitely feel more knowledgeable for doing so.
My friend is looking for a laptop which he'll be using for the new FM, he'll also be using it for the occasional film, tv show etc.
Wants something which will run FM comfortably, show the 3D matches, run a large database easily, have the extra leagues added for regens etc. He's in England, has a budget of £1000 which he's happy to go slightly over if necessary for something better. Just wants something powerful which will play the game how it should be played basically. No real preference for screen size, 'not minuscule' were his exact words.
Any help would be appreciated!
Eskimo.

hi Smurf what do think of this laptop for FM18..thanks in advance

• AMD Quad Core a12-9700p apu quad core processor.
  • 2.5GHz processor speed.
  • 8GB RAM.
  • 2TB HDD storage.
  • Microsoft Windows 10.

Display features:

• 15.6 inch screen.
  • High definition display.
  • Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

DVD optical drives:

• DVD plus RW/DVD-RW (read/write).

Graphics:

• AMDradeon™ r7 graphics card.
  • Shared graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:

• Multi-card media card reader.
  • Secure Digital (SD), Multi-Media Card (MMC) compatible.
  • 2 USB 2.0 ports.
  • 1 USB 3.0 port.
  • 1 Ethernet port.
  • 1 HDMI port.
  • Bluetooth.
  • Wi-Fi enabled.

Multimedia features:

• HD webcam.
  • Built-in mic.
  • DTS sound system.

Software included:.

General features:

• Up to 8 hours battery life.
  • Size H2.43, W25.46, D38.43cm.
  • Weight 2.04kg.
  • EAN: 190781167105.

12 hours ago, KUBI said:

Intel (R) ? HD Graphics 4000 8 B RAM

sorry, it's 4000 not 400.

It's integrated graphics card - which means it would best to put graphics on low detail for 3D matches.

If not playing 3D matches then no need to worry about it.

12 hours ago, pauso said:

Hello smurf, first thing to say it's that you're doing a great work here. Now, my question; I'm finally looking for a new laptop and i'm looking to a couple of Dell laptops. Both have these specs, i7 7700hq, 16 gb ram, ssd+hd. One has a gfx 1050ti 4gb, the other has a 1060 6gb. I can buy the first for 1000 euros, the second is 150 euros more. Do you think they are good for that price? There will be a noticeable difference in game with the gfx 1060?

Most excellent.

The 1060 is the better card and only drives the graphics.

If you play other games then the 1060 would benefit. If not the 1050 will be perfectly fine (even if you play other games) and you will save a few quid.

9 hours ago, Yesaneskimo said:

Good evening @Smurf .
Firstly, thanks for all of the help you've given everyone on this thread, I've read a lot of the pages and definitely feel more knowledgeable for doing so.
My friend is looking for a laptop which he'll be using for the new FM, he'll also be using it for the occasional film, tv show etc.
Wants something which will run FM comfortably, show the 3D matches, run a large database easily, have the extra leagues added for regens etc. He's in England, has a budget of £1000 which he's happy to go slightly over if necessary for something better. Just wants something powerful which will play the game how it should be played basically. No real preference for screen size, 'not minuscule' were his exact words.
Any help would be appreciated!
Eskimo.

This is 17 inch screen - not sure that's what you want

This would be very good https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX753VD-GC256T-ASUS-Gaming-FX753VD-GC256T_2119182.html

It only has a 3-4 hour battery life when not plugged in (significantly less for FM). But if plugged in all the time it's great

Let me know if it suits.

9 hours ago, Iaind said:

hi Smurf what do think of this laptop for FM18..thanks in advance

• AMD Quad Core a12-9700p apu quad core processor.
  • 2.5GHz processor speed.
  • 8GB RAM.
  • 2TB HDD storage.
  • Microsoft Windows 10.

Display features:

• 15.6 inch screen.
  • High definition display.
  • Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

DVD optical drives:

• DVD plus RW/DVD-RW (read/write).

Graphics:

• AMDradeon™ r7 graphics card.
  • Shared graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:

• Multi-card media card reader.
  • Secure Digital (SD), Multi-Media Card (MMC) compatible.
  • 2 USB 2.0 ports.
  • 1 USB 3.0 port.
  • 1 Ethernet port.
  • 1 HDMI port.
  • Bluetooth.
  • Wi-Fi enabled.

Multimedia features:

• HD webcam.
  • Built-in mic.
  • DTS sound system.

Software included:.

General features:

• Up to 8 hours battery life.
  • Size H2.43, W25.46, D38.43cm.
  • Weight 2.04kg.
  • EAN: 190781167105.

It's a not a great processor - actually I wouldn't recommend it.

Hi Smurf,

Thanks for the thread really helpful. So FM18 is finally proving to be a challenge for my machine, do you think this will do the job? Want to be able to run a large selection of leagues/database and hopefully reasonably quickly. 

GeForce GTX 970M dedicated graphics card

Intel Core i7 6700HQ Processor 2.6GHz

16GB RAM

1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Most excellent.

If you play other games then the 1060 would benefit. If not the 1050 will be perfectly fine (even if you play other games) and you will save a few quid.

Thanks for your help. As FM is the only game I play, I'll probably choose the version with the 1050ti. For the same price (around 1000 euros) I can buy a Dell, an Acer and an Asus, all with i7 7700hq, ssd+hd, 16gb ram. Do you recommend any particular brand?

Well, I want a 15.6 inch screen and it would be good a decent battery. Weight portability and design are not imortant for me. But i think to pick the Dell as probably is the less expensive with these specs

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

It's integrated graphics card - which means it would best to put graphics on low detail for 3D matches.

If not playing 3D matches then no need to worry about it.

Most excellent.

This would be very good https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX753VD-GC256T-ASUS-Gaming-FX753VD-GC256T_2119182.html

It only has a 3-4 hour battery life when not plugged in (significantly less for FM). But if plugged in all the time it's great

Let me know if it suits.

It's a not a great processor - actually I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

Let me know if it suits.

This is great, thank you very much! 

50 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Talked about plenty before. 

U processors are deliberatetly underclocked as to preserve battery. 

Thanks.

I had actually read through the last few pages before posting. Somehow I managed to miss  that on the same page you had already mentioned this. :idiot:

I'm from Australia and looking at laptops for around $800-1300 AUD. I must have looked at about 30-40 laptops and ALL seem to have U processors. 

27 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Where are you buying from :)

I've looked at these Aussie sites so far.

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/computers-tablets-and-accessories/desktop-and-laptop/laptops-and-notebooks

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops

EDIT: here is a legit Australian site that sells products much cheaper than retail price.

https://www.kogan.com/au/shop/tablets-laptops/laptops/?order_by=-price

Again, all I'm seeing is U processors. 

35 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

I was just about to give up! 

Wasn't able to find anything in your price range - however - this is quite good https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/hp/hp-power-pavilion-15-cb059tx-15-6-laptop-i7/452500/

Archived